Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Cold Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Do American universities also have extensive tunnels so students don’t have to go outside between buildings in the cold? Because the optics of that could be very funny.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Do American universities also have extensive tunnels so students don’t have to go outside in the cold? Because the optics of that could be very funny.

some of them do yeah, idk how common it is for the entire campus to be connected to each other. mostly like small legs or isolated sections.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

VoicesCanBe posted:

If Colombia hadn't immediately resorted to force to break up the initial demonstration it likely would have quietly dissipated without much fanfare.

I'm happy it didn't. Because now it might be too late to make this go away. The protests continue.

just got a push notification that the democrats are defending the gop speaker of the house from being deposed because he helped fund the genocide in gaza

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Do American universities also have extensive tunnels so students don’t have to go outside between buildings in the cold? Because the optics of that could be very funny.

Northern ones sometimes have clusters of buildings connected, but nothing like Canadian universities where you can go around campus without going outside.

Maybe like Michigan Tech in Houghton, but I doubt that will be a protest hotspot.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Northern ones sometimes have clusters of buildings connected, but nothing like Canadian universities where you can go around campus without going outside.

Maybe like Michigan Tech in Houghton, but I doubt that will be a protest hotspot.

I haven't been there but I think it might be possible at u Minnesota

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My campus had tunnels but not for students I think it was mainly for internal mail delivery and interlibraryloan.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

UMN closed all the tunnels yesterday to try and crush the protest

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Mandel Brotset posted:

just got a push notification that the democrats are defending the gop speaker of the house from being deposed because he helped fund the genocide in gaza

CNN called him an “unlikely Churchill,” probably positively

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

yes though many/most are for distributing steam heat and power. they're still big enough for people to walk through / live in / etc., but at michigan state they were used to summon radical demons by D&D obsessed LARPers in the 1980s so administrators nationwide got very admin-brained about them

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

this insane demon summoning episode in university tunnels also launched the career of tom hanks

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nah, MTU didn't have anything like that when I went there. A few of the buildings were connected, but tbqh at that point that's just a bigger building with two different architects

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Al! posted:

seriously, what happened to the mice?

Definitely all got eaten by birds an hour after being released

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
sounds like cops cleared out the unc encampment at 6am this morning. according to the school newspaper, students tried to block off the parking lot the cops were using, then unsuccessfully tried to force their way past police to occupy a building. 6 actual arrests and a couple dozen detained for a few hours on campus.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Technically every university campus that's accessible by Subway.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Mine did

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you
McGill, claiming “video evidence of antisemitism”, which of course it won’t release, has called in the cops on the completely peaceful encampment.

This is Quebec, though, and while Montreal cops are most definitely racist shits, they also don’t give a gently caress about helping McGill get rid of protesters.

“No crime is being committed” and “it’s a civil matter”

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

captainbananas posted:

yes though many/most are for distributing steam heat and power. they're still big enough for people to walk through / live in / etc., but at michigan state they were used to summon radical demons by D&D obsessed LARPers in the 1980s so administrators nationwide got very admin-brained about them

captainbananas posted:

this insane demon summoning episode in university tunnels also launched the career of tom hanks

Joseph Robinette Biden: Not a joke, not a joke.

also literally not a joke lol some people's careers were extremely hosed up by this lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Joe biden moves on from saying his uncle got eaten by cannibals to Beau was almost stolen by devils under the ivy league steam vents that lead to hell

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Not sure why you'd travel all the way there to protest but good on them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

archaeo posted:

McGill, claiming “video evidence of antisemitism”, which of course it won’t release, has called in the cops on the completely peaceful encampment.

This is Quebec, though, and while Montreal cops are most definitely racist shits, they also don’t give a gently caress about helping McGill get rid of protesters.

“No crime is being committed” and “it’s a civil matter”

Montreal cops maybe siding with the protestors because they think it is anti-semitic!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://x.com/theonion/status/1785046631127130193?s=46

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

RPI had semi secret tunnels. They were on the basement levels of most buildings and you could walk from the different engineering buildings that sat on the south side of the pitch mid campus, and extended up into the science math building further south.

And then there were these steam tunnels we found based on snow melt... that crisscrossed all of campus designed for steam but traversable.

https://web.archive.org/web/20061209011256/http://craig.ath.cx/ue/rpi/steam_ricketts/pics/

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Fitzy Fitz posted:

UGA has suspended the students who protested yesterday and banned them from campus. Their protest only lasted one hour.

athens moment

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Encampment set up at the University of Oregon

https://x.com/uoforpalestine/status/1785040026423722221

https://x.com/uoforpalestine/status/1785040051417551289

https://x.com/uoforpalestine/status/1785043362795442407

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/asmamk/status/1785313296444191007?t=T05mZ4R_fqGxXPPzITLOSQ&s=19

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

this might be the single issue that loses Biden the election if this drags on into november

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What about hatred against Palestinians, joe

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Truly unprecedented to occupy a building. Never in all of Columbia's history have students taken over Hamilton Hall and renamed it in order to protest ongoing apartheid violence, and certainly not in any way that was later completely vindicated by history

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

bedpan posted:

this might be the single issue that loses Biden the election if this drags on into november

the latest lethal aid package was designed to prevent this particular scenario

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

bedpan posted:

it was already gonna be tough in michigan. If he loses the youth vote hes just toasted

He's an rear end in a top hat

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's definitely an issue, but the Republicans have to tangle with abortion so both parties have their own issues.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

youcallthatatwist posted:

Truly unprecedented to occupy a building. Never in all of Columbia's history have students taken over Hamilton Hall and renamed it in order to protest ongoing apartheid violence, and certainly not in any way that was later completely vindicated by history

It's not like Biden supported those protests either. Biden didn't take any position on Vietnam until his '72 Senate campaign other than securing deferments for himself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

youcallthatatwist posted:

Yeah but history ended, and liberalism won, and that’s all you need to know about that.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Dreylad posted:

It's definitely an issue, but the Republicans have to tangle with abortion so both parties have their own issues.

perhaps there is some kind of deeper resolution to this failure of both parties

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

Mandel Brotset posted:

perhaps there is some kind of deeper resolution to this failure of both parties

you’re right

we gotta vote for rfk jr

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

piss guzzler 420 posted:

you’re right

we gotta vote