Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Burns posted:

Isnt he also the lizard guy?

That's David Icke.

When all famous people were lizards due to freezing the video of them from an analogue signal, slightly made their faces distort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I mostly remember Dawkins and the other big atheists becoming rabidly anti muslim after 9/11 broke their brains

I'm sure he'll eventually come around to endorsing traditional judeo-christian values to combat the trans menace

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
he's going to hogwarts

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well death rates during delivery did jump when women started going into hospitals for them.

But someone said "Hey, let's clean our tools between performing an autopsy and delivering a child!"

germ theory is certainly one major pillar, but theres also men pushing out midwives and trying to turn the field into a "legit" academic science. like what centuries of knowledge and experience lost because men wouldnt stop and ask for directions institutional knowledge , document it, and improve on it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

goatface posted:

Dawkins is a endlessly smug twat who is incredibly certain about his intellectual superiority in every situation. He has been for decades.

Dawkins was Neil deGrasse Tyson before Neil deGrasse Tyson was Neil deGrasse Tyson.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Durf posted:

I mostly remember Dawkins and the other big atheists becoming rabidly anti muslim after 9/11 broke their brains

I'm sure he'll eventually come around to endorsing traditional judeo-christian values to combat the trans menace

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1018933359978909696

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Saw Dawkins in London last night. His sign didn't say "I'm a biologist" or "I'm a published author" but "I'm a fat bitch". What could this mean?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

say what you will but anywhere offering me free crackers and wine is fine by me!

- richard dawkins, lifelong committed atheist

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

shiksa posted:

say what you will but anywhere offering me free crackers and wine is fine by me!

- richard dawkins, lifelong committed atheist

Go to a gurdwara, the food's way better.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Please only refer to Richard Dawkins as his preferred name; Dick Dorkins.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Totbot posted:

I thought he changed his name to Eugene Icksfan a few years ago

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All British intellectuals seem to be getting on the TERF train. Even the ones I thought were otherwise good people are either "Rowling was right" or :decorum: which is as good as being one.

Being a TERF, defending Israeli genocides, loving children. Pick two.

The only good famous Brit was Terry Pratchett. His estate slammed people for claiming he'd be on board with transphobia, so even dead he's better than these shitbirds

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

what a nerd, the adhan is so cool sounding

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Totbot posted:

Dick Dock, and you don't stop

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Dawkins wrote very well about evolutionary biology. Those books are still very good. Like a lot of experts in a specific field though, he doesn't seem to realize he's not smart about other things but speaks just as confidently.

And he's a grumpy old bigot yeah

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are they still good books?

isnt any biological science going to have a halflife of knowledge and facts thats only a decade or two?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol such thin skin

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Having experienced both I prefer church bells but Jesus Christ what a dogwhistle.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i thought dick dawkins died

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah I learn most things about my job from random accounts I follow on Twitter. But sometimes they post news I don't like and that makes me have bad thoughts so I block them. Now give me my 50 billion bonus!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cthulu Carl posted:

Technology Connections rippin' into this jabroni like he's a simmerstat he bought two of.
Super lol.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Beer Gay So What posted:

its so extremely bizzare seeing as they won that standardization battle. More wondering if government subsidy for fast chargers dried up.

Leveraged the funding for NACS to dump into the cybbrtrvkk, and now has nothing to complete the charging port project with :elon:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well death rates during delivery did jump when women started going into hospitals for them.

But someone said "Hey, let's clean our tools between performing an autopsy and delivering a child!"

What why are we wasting all this time and effort cleaning tools, these hygiene and safety regulations are killing innovation and efficiency in the hospital sector.

Move fast, break things for the win! Hospital on Mars 2030!!!

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

PhazonLink posted:

isnt any biological science going to have a halflife of knowledge and facts thats only a decade or two?

Cutting edge stuff for biologists to know sure, but great detailed explanations of the principles of natural selection are effectively timeless

You might find a specific example of a bird or something that we've learned more about I guess

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The 'Semmelweis the tormented genius' thing is basically a "Columbus discovered the earth was round" myth. He believed something that was obviously false, got mythologized, and pop culture assigned modern beliefs instead of the ones they actually held because it makes a better story to treat them as martyrs.

People say he was talking about childbed fever being contagious, but Semmelweis' actual belief was specifically that childbed fever was not contagious ("Childbed fever is not a contagious disease. A contagious disease is one that produces the contagion by which the disease is spread. This contagion brings about only the same disease in other individuals. . . .Smallpox causes only smallpox and no other disease. . . . Childbed fever is different”)

So his argument was 'childbed fever is ONLY caused by pieces of corpses ('cadaverous particles') getting into women - so doctors who do dissections of cadavers are the only way to spread it'.

To which the medical establishment sensibly responded 'so why do we also see this disease in hospitals that don't do dissections, then?' To which his response was 'uuuuuuuuuuuuh?' And then they said 'well, this disease is known to come in outbreaks where a bunch of people get it and then nobody gets it, so we really need a bigger sample to prove anything, can we have your data'?

In response, Semmelweis immediately and promptly... didn't publish any additional data for FOURTEEN YEARS. And during that time, there was another outbreak of childbed fever... in his handwashing ward.

Having had his 'no corpse hands = no fever' theory disproven, Semmelweis revised his theory from 'cadaverous particles' being 'pieces of corpses', to 'things that can be produced inside living people as well', and blamed a lady on the same floor who had uterine cancer (given his lack of tact, probably with some comment like 'your poison womb is making the ICU too drat crowded').

But was he the first person to suggest sterilization of tools using boiling water? No, that goes back to before Hippocrates (you know the guy from the Oath).

How about 'hey maybe bad stuff on people's hands causes childbed fever'? Not the first person there either.

James Young Simpson published a paper about that a decade earlier. Simpson also made several other important improvements in obstetrics, like incorporating midwives into hospitals, inventing safe forceps, and huffing random chemicals until he tried chloroform, it got him high as balls, and he decided to use it to help reduce pain in childbirth.

That last one isn't a comic exaggeration, we have the report, he got a bunch of friends together and they just snorted random drugs around his dinnertable until they found one that worked. Then once they realized chloroform got you high, they passed the bottle around until they ran out.

quote:

In January 1847 Simpson gained for the Edinburgh Medical School the proud distinction of being the scene of the first use of anæsthetics in obstetric practice. His acute mind, however, soon perceived the shortcomings of ether, and he could not rest satisfied until he had discovered something better to take its place. To this end he and his two assistants, Dr. George Keith and Dr. Matthews Duncan, night after night, spent hours in the dining-room of No. 52 Queen Street inhaling substance after substance. All the scientific curiosities were unearthed from the laboratories of chemists and tested; the enthusiastic invigorators sitting round the dining table and inhaling the drugs from tumblers and saucers, much we can imagine, to the alarm of the rest of the household.

Mr. Waldie, a native of Linlithgowshire, practicing as a chemist in Liverpool, was the one who suggested that “perchloride of formyle," as it was then called, should be tried. This “curious liquid” had been discovered in 1831 by Soubeiran and Liebig, and its chemical composition had been determined in 1835 by the famous French chemist Dumas. The liquid was heavy and not volatile-looking, and therefore did not attract Simpson, who, instead of trying it, put it away, and apparently half forgot its existence. One night, however, it was brought to light again and tried; the results of the experiment are graphically told by Simpson's next-door neighbour, Professor Miller.

“Late one evening — it was the 4th of November 1847 — on returning home after a weary day's labour, Dr. Simpson with his two friends and assistants, Drs. Keith and Duncan, sat down to their somewhat hazardous work in Dr. Simpson's dining-room. Having inhaled several substances, but without much effect, it occurred to Dr. Simpson to try a ponderous material which he had formerly set aside on a lumber table, and which, on account of its great weight, he had hitherto regarded as of no likelihood whatever. That happened to be a small bottle of chloroform. It was searched for, and recovered from beneath a heap of waste paper. And with each tumbler newly charged, the inhalers renewed their vocation. Immediately an unwonted hilarity seized the party, — they became bright-eyed, very happy, and very loquacious — expatiating on the delicious aroma of the new fluid. The conversation was of unusual intelligence, and quite charmed the listeners — some ladies of the family, and a naval officer, brother-in-law to Dr. Simpson. But suddenly there was a talk of sounds being heard like those of a cotton mill, louder and louder; a moment more and then all was quiet, and then crash!

On awakening, Dr. Simpson's first impression was mental. “This is far stronger and better than ether, " said he to himself. His second was to note that he was prostrate on the floor, and that among the friends about him there was both confusion and alarm. Hearing a noise, he turned round and saw Dr. Duncan beneath a chair, his jaw dropped, his eyes staring, his head bent half under him, quite unconscious, and snoring in a most determined and alarming manner. More noise still, and much motion. And then his eyes overtook Dr. Keith's feet and legs making valorous attempts to over turn the supper table, or more probably to annihilate everything that was on it. By and bye, Dr. Simpson having regained his seat, Dr. Duncan having finished his uncomfortable and unrefreshing slumber, and Dr. Keith having come to an arrangement with the table and its contents, the sederunt was resumed. Each expressed himself delighted with this new agent, and its inhalation was repeated many times that night — one of the ladies gallantly taking her place and turn at the table — until the supply of chloroform was fairly exhausted.”

As a coda, realizing that some people might be reluctant to use this important medication for religious/moral/ethical reasons, Simpson decided to drum up publicity first, so patients would be pushing their doctors and surgeons for it. He published a bunch of pamphlets before doctors even had it, had discussion with major religious leaders, and ended up making a linchpin of his messaging about anesthetics in surgery the quote from Genesis "and the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam , and he slept ; and He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh instead thereof." Which basically sealed the deal, to the point where the launch was so smooth that some historians questioned whether there could ever possibly been any backlash against an obviously-useful medication (though notably they were asking that pre-covid).

So TL;DR, Semmelweis was both late and wrong, but the IFL Science crowd doesn't let that get in the way of a good story. Also, if you want to be a world-renowned surgeon, do drugs.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 30, 2024

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rubber Chicken posted:

Cutting edge stuff for biologists to know sure, but great detailed explanations of the principles of natural selection are effectively timeless

You might find a specific example of a bird or something that we've learned more about I guess

Yeah funnily the more scholarly texts probably get outdated faster than the more pop sci 'why evolution is true' stuff.

Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World is still super relevant imo despite coming out in 1995. He talks about some astronomy stuff that has been well solved but that's not the main point of the book.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

I cited a paper from 1888 in my dissertation. Observations don't go out of date, just interpretations.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Tiny Timbs posted:

i thought dick dawkins died

I thought the same thing a few years back but I always got Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins confused.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

carrionman posted:

The only good famous Brit was Terry Pratchett. His estate slammed people for claiming he'd be on board with transphobia, so even dead he's better than these shitbirds

Pratchett wrote whole books about people being able to express their true gender.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

kazil posted:

lol such thin skin

:lol: What a petty rear end bitch.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
frozen fruit, except when i dont like it. - literally every single frozen fruit piece of shitever, also free speech on a private platform like jesus loving christ how are they this loving stupid

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

kazil posted:

lol such thin skin

lmao they got musked

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

kazil posted:

lol such thin skin

FREE SPEECH ABSOLUTIST :elon:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah funnily the more scholarly texts probably get outdated faster than the more pop sci 'why evolution is true' stuff.

Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World is still super relevant imo despite coming out in 1995. He talks about some astronomy stuff that has been well solved but that's not the main point of the book.

Is it demons??

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

kazil posted:

lol such thin skin

isn't that exactly who you would want to follow

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tbf freedom of speech doesn't mean "a right to be followed by this one guy specifically"

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

adnam posted:

oh come on him too?
i thought this guy was supposed to be one of the good guys :|

Lol since loving when

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For the longest time I got Richard Feynman confused with Dawkins for some reason. I guess both Richard scientists. But Feynman died like 37 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

priznat posted:

For the longest time I got Richard Feynman confused with Dawkins for some reason. I guess both Richard scientists. But Feynman died like 37 years ago.

Feynman is the cool sexpest who plays bongos and picks locks.