Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

vaxxed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thanks to speeding, this cop got fuckin owned so it's good now
A district attorney was caught speeding. Her outburst earned her more than a ticket

www.seattletimes.com - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 posted:

It was 5:30 p.m. last Monday in Webster, N.Y., a Rochester suburb, when police Officer Cameron Crisafulli noticed an SUV being driven 20 mph over the speed limit on Phillips Road.

Crisafulli put on his lights and siren, signaling to the driver to pull over. But the driver didn’t stop, steering the car into a residential neighborhood about a half mile up the road before pulling into the garage of a two-story white-clapboard house.

It was the home of Sandra Doorley, the Monroe County district attorney.

“Sorry, I’m the DA. I was going 55 coming home from work,” Doorley said angrily, getting out of the car as Crisafulli approached her garage. He reminded her that the speed limit on Phillips Road was 35 mph. “I don’t really care,” she replied.

Footage of the encounter, recorded on Crisafulli’s body camera and released Friday by the Webster Police Department, raised questions about whether Doorley had tried to use her office to avoid a traffic ticket. In the footage, Doorley can be heard using expletives, calling the officer vulgar names and repeatedly escalating the situation.

Another officer who arrived on the scene and identified himself as Crisafulli’s supervisor told Doorley that by refusing to stop, she had broken another law, and that it was an arrestable offense. Doorley was not arrested.

The release of the footage led to a swift backlash, and residents of Rochester and beyond called for Doorley to face discipline.

In a statement Sunday, Gov. Kathy Hochul said she had reported Doorley to the State Commission on Prosecutorial Conduct. The body camera footage, Hochul said, clearly showed Doorley “claiming she is above the law, attempting to use her public office to evade responsibility and acting unprofessionally towards a police officer simply trying to do his job.”

Doorley had “undermined her ability to hold others accountable for violating the law,” Hochul said.

Save Rochester, a local advocacy group, has called for an investigation of Doorley and started a petition asking for her to be removed from office. At protests in Rochester on Monday, demonstrators from the group called for her to be disbarred.

The group is active in the Black Lives Matter movement and called for change following the death of Daniel Prude, a 41-year-old Black man, who died in police custody in Rochester in 2020. Doorley faced calls for her resignation after deciding not to charge the police officers who had arrested Prude.

Activists with Save Rochester argued that the behavior of Doorley, who is white, during the traffic stop exemplified white privilege.

“This is proof that white privilege reigns supreme in our country and it’s time for that to come to an end,” the group wrote in a social media post. “Sandra put countless people’s lives in jeopardy and she had the nerve to try to use her position to escape justice, meanwhile she prosecutes Black people to the fullest extent of the law.”

While arguing with Crisafulli after the traffic stop, the body camera footage showed, Doorley called the chief of police on the phone and asked him to tell the officer to leave her alone. At one point during the call, Doorley rolled her eyes and handed the phone to Crisafulli, who explained the situation to the chief, Dennis Kohlmeier.

“Just go away,” Doorley later said as she walked into her house.

Doorley apologized for her behavior in a video released Sunday night, days after the body camera footage was made public.

“What I did was wrong, no excuses,” she said. “I didn’t treat this officer with the respect that he deserved.”

Both during her conversation with Crisafulli and in her video, Doorley attributed her behavior to the stress of dealing with a recent spate of homicides in Rochester, where three killings occurred in less than two days this month.

“We all have bad days and stress, and it was wrong for me to take it out on an officer who’s simply doing his job,” she said.

In the video, Doorley added that she would pay the fine for her speeding ticket and would refer the episode to a district attorney from another county for review, though she did not specify which. Doorley also said that she was reporting the case to a grievance committee and pledged to take ethics training.

In her garage last week, Crisafulli expressed confusion about the amount of hostility she was exhibiting toward him.

“I’m doing my job,” he told her. “You say you’re a DA?”

“I am the DA,” she replied, before getting her badge out of her handbag and showing it to him.

“If you give me a traffic ticket, that’s fine,” she said. “I’m the one who prosecutes it.”

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Lol, she only apologized for hurting a cop's feefees, no remorse for the actual crimes committed.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

cat botherer posted:

to be fair to tinting, it got to be big in the first place because black folks tinted their windows to avoid getting pulled over for driving while black.

This gets brought up by online progressives all of the time and I don't believe it whatsoever. citation needed

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Apr 30, 2024

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Polo-Rican posted:

this gets brought up by online progressives all of the time and I don't believe it whatsoever. citation needed

I wish there was a name for this kind of freakonomics bullshit that catches on because it fits in 280 characters

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cassian of Imola posted:

I wish there was a name for this kind of freakonomics bullshit that catches on because it fits in 280 characters

It's about as old as the internet too, the "you eat two spiders in your sleep every year" thing predates www I think. Also carrots being good for your eyes is British WWII obfuscation.

Anyway, I have failed as a parent: my one year old's favourite activity is to go to the big heavy traffic road and look at cars. At least he likes buses best, but he's definitely into the cars. He still refuses to go inside a car at least...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I make sure I'm awake when I eat spiders because they taste delicious

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

This gets brought up by online progressives all of the time and I don't believe it whatsoever. citation needed

why don't you believe it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

why don't you believe it

I'm not sure I believe it either because it just doesn't sound plausible. If tinting "got big in the first place" because black people were doing it to stop getting pulled over, then all that would mean is that tinted cars mostly contained black people (until white people started doing it too). Cops are dumb but they're not that dumb, they can put 2 and 2 together and figure out that tinted car = black driver = pull over

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Microplastics posted:

Cops are dumb but they're not that dumb, they can put 2 and 2 together and figure out that tinted car = black driver = pull over

Hmm.... I dunno.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

i think the original idea was that only Crime Guys would get their windows tinted, because they have something to hide

so it started as a justification for pulling cars over to check if there were some minorities to harass in there, at least according to my understanding. i can remember being told the first part, that Only A Criminal would have window tint, in the mid 90s when i was a preteen still

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

when ive done window tinting its always been really obvious that the driver wants to “safely” drink and smoke weed while they drive

edit: very occasionally the tint job would be for an old person who was genuinely liable to die when they got in their car if they didnt reduce heat transfer to the cabin

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the very hot summers in houston have tempted me to get my car windows tinted, it really helps keep the temperature down

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you don't have to get the darkest possible tint. a little goes a long way

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

haha omg. running through the park kid lacrosse games were going on, and the street was lined with parents in SUVs idling their engines for heat while looking at their phones.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
They just let off a woman here that ran a stop sign while talking on her cell phone that killed a 6 year old all because the kid was 47 feet away from the stop sign that she blew through and the state couldn't prove she wasn't using a bluetooth device. At this point it feels like anyone fair game to be run over by an old person in a giant car with zero consequences. In 4 years only trucks and SUVs will be allowed to vote and we'll have president Musk.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I bet you thought Mad Max was cool but now that you're living it you're complaining?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Microplastics posted:

I'm not sure I believe it either because it just doesn't sound plausible. If tinting "got big in the first place" because black people were doing it to stop getting pulled over, then all that would mean is that tinted cars mostly contained black people (until white people started doing it too). Cops are dumb but they're not that dumb, they can put 2 and 2 together and figure out that tinted car = black driver = pull over

Plus cops would probably figure out that having a tint is illegal and somehow only punish minorities for having it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/cyclist-dead-after-being-struck-by-vehicle-in-yorkville-1.6867750

Not gonna embed the pic (no gore but still) but that bike is trashed. Practically ripped in half.

A bit disturbing to me because a decade or so ago I was close to being flattened under similar circumstances not from far there. A large truck in front of me turned right while I was close to the curb (without signalling, mind you) either not noticing me or not caring. Luckily I had enough room to slam the brakes before rolling under it.

050124_2
May 1, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 17:26 on May 1, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ChrisByBike/status/1785684393304170889?t=CIIRCzitDFo449Re0ZC17A&s=19a

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

https://x.com/Ronaldo4333/status/1785759623565434933

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

are led lights on cars mandatory now? theyre so bright @_@

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

are led lights on cars mandatory now? theyre so bright @_@

No just cool looking, so they're on every North American car now. US rules also specifically do not allow the shaped beam technology that keeps them pointed at the road rather than directly into the eyes of non-truck/SUV drivers.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

suspect will be charged with 15 counts of assaulting an officer

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I'm the extremely well-placed "1-800-Got-Junk" ad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Protest self immolation... Welcome to the resistance, 15 cop cars.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/comradecamera/status/1786206451012423838

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

The news has warned us that Waymo is coming to our city. What can I expect?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zapf Dingbat posted:

maximum overdrive

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

a Waymo car to gruesomely murder a pedestrian and then the company to cover it up

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Zapf Dingbat posted:

you need to contact optimus prime immediately or youre going to get hosed hard in your holes by the cars until you die alas. :911: i believe in you soldier. mount up. whip the robot cars until their exhaust pipe sputters out its vital fluids thats right oil. and then drink it. astrotrain, get us out of here!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Not with an internal shifter! You gotta take the pressure off the pedals to shift up, though you can shift down while still pedaling.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Zapf Dingbat posted:

https://twitter.com/Gia_Vang/status/1756569968265847043

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zapf Dingbat posted:

You can expect waymo accidents

(sorry pfc)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can expect waymo accidents

(sorry pfc)

the joke belongs to the community now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001