Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s a few from Google:

Huge fan of the slime hutch with creepy fish ponds.
Also loling at the mayor’s statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Cartoon Man posted:

Here’s a few from Google:

Huge fan of the slime hutch with creepy fish ponds.
Also loling at the mayor’s statue.

I wish I had half the eye for aesthetics as this, I usually just wind up going with the basic farm and breaking everything up into squares and rectangles.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I just unlocked my first Mastery, and chose farming for the Iridium scythe. In previous farms, I planned out my "final" crop layouts around Junimo Huts so that I could live out the dream of farming without having to deal with farming, but...wow, scythe-harvesting is so ridiculously fast and easy that I don't think I'll ever bother enslaving those li'l gumdrops again.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LLSix posted:

In my current game, one of the blacksmith bundles requires iridium ore. That’s going to hurt.

Panning regularly gives me 5+ iridium ore, since I upgraded the pan to gold level.

Edit: this is without the permanent luck upgrade too

GotLag fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 2, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm at the foraging level where everything is iridium quality. Iridium-quality cactus fruit make a perfect stack for health recovery.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Trilobite posted:

I just unlocked my first Mastery, and chose farming for the Iridium scythe. In previous farms, I planned out my "final" crop layouts around Junimo Huts so that I could live out the dream of farming without having to deal with farming, but...wow, scythe-harvesting is so ridiculously fast and easy that I don't think I'll ever bother enslaving those li'l gumdrops again.

Junimos juiced up on raisins still have the chance for double harvest so they aren't entirely irrelevant even with the scythe.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

GotLag posted:

Panning regularly gives me 5+ iridium ore, since I upgraded the pan to gold level.

Edit: this is without the permanent lock upgrade too

I have a hard time noticing the panning spots.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I had the iridium pan and hardly ever got iridium ore from it. Plenty of iron though, which at that point I actually preferred anyway. Kegs don't need iridium!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Psion posted:

or get the skull cave elevator and cheat your way to victory :v

I use the elevator mod so my chill farming game can stay chill and I don't have to do a min-maxed speedrun cave dive to get ore to make my tools work better

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

GotLag posted:

I use the elevator mod so my chill farming game can stay chill and I don't have to do a min-maxed speedrun cave dive to get ore to make my tools work better

This. Also it's fun to make it to level 100 and see Mr. Qi congratulating you on getting there the hard way instead of cheating, while you nod politely and try really hard not to glance at the elevator door behind him...

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Trilobite posted:

these spirits

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GotLag posted:

Edit: this is without the permanent lock upgrade too

Are you just always looking for panning spots while going about your day or is there a method to finding them? I upgraded mine to gold and have had some luck getting ores when I found them but so often I feel like I do entire laps around the map and never see anything.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Man, I am sucking at iridium mining. Not getting very deep, not getting much iridium. Do you guys bomb every single floor when you enter, unless there's a staircase visible nearby?

if you're really struggling purple slimes and iridium bats can drop ore/bars, altho you dont get bats until deeper. Low chance but a chance, especially with a burglar ring and luck food/ring. before i modded my game more i would just bomb big rock clusters looking for stairs/shafts

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How do I stop the game loving over my tapped trees by randomly turning them into poo poo versions? How do I stop the game randomly changing trees to poo poo version period? It completely ruins my tap area and my trees planted for aesthetics.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 1, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Poil posted:

How do I stop the game loving over my tapped trees by randomly turning them into poo poo versions? How do I stop the game randomly changing trees to poo poo version period? It completely ruins my tap area and my trees planted for aesthetics.

I think you just chop+regrow w/fertilizer then wait for a harvest to attach a tapper so the tappers sync up. That's what I did when I got 4 nonsense trees in my oak resin farm.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Why do all the games I play end up with me deep in spreadsheets?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The trees on my farm are strictly for chopping, my tappers are all by the train tracks and on the beach.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eric the Mauve posted:

The trees on my farm are strictly for chopping, my tappers are all by the train tracks and on the beach.

That is not a bad idea, I might do this.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Poil posted:

I don't know if I just got lucky with timing, but the transformed trees still produced their original tapped product. It could have been that the original tree produced and then the transformation happened tho.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The moss trees look ugly as hell. I planted an oak because I wanted a freaking oak there!

Cranappleberry posted:

I think you just chop+regrow w/fertilizer then wait for a harvest to attach a tapper so the tappers sync up. That's what I did when I got 4 nonsense trees in my oak resin farm.
So there's no way to prevent it? There's just a random gently caress you mechanic for no good reason?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You can just cut it down if you don't want it, then replant with tree fertilizer

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
IIRC You can pour vinegar on a tree to make it immune to moss? Or it's a planned change.

If it gets warped by green rain you might be out of luck.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'll give that a try, thanks.

I spent half a year trying to get a stack of 5 same quality purple mushrooms only to have a moss log spit a stack out the day after I finally succeeded. :v:

TurnipFritter posted:

You can just cut it down if you don't want it, then replant with tree fertilizer
Yes, but that's pointless and unfun busywork. I don't want to do that because it is tedious, not fun and utterly stupid that I'm apparently expected to.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mrenda posted:

Why do all the games I play end up with me deep in spreadsheets?

I would not do this, it sounds like the antithesis of your playstyle. Don't be afraid to look stuff up if it's obtuse or not explained well in-game but by the time you're in spreadsheets you're into minmax territory. Just set yourself achievable short term achievable goals and mix your activities up

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Min/max seems to always devolve into "plant tons or ancient fruit everywhere and have a bunch of sheds filled with kegs" anyways.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I like my spreadsheet & have stardew wiki open on a 2nd monitor while I play

and it's perfectly legal

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

I would not do this, it sounds like the antithesis of your playstyle. Don't be afraid to look stuff up if it's obtuse or not explained well in-game but by the time you're in spreadsheets you're into minmax territory. Just set yourself achievable short term achievable goals and mix your activities up

It's not about minmaxing, it's just about sorting out gifts. That's something I've ignored on previous play-throughs and I do want to see the events. I'm still goofing about in game once I get everything planted. Although it'll be nice to not have to fully worry about gifting when certain things are maxed out and they can't decay too much. Just run about on my daily chores and chat to people like a local friendly farmer developing an indecipherable rural accent while away from the city.

Which does make me think... What's your favourite day for gifting? I particularly like Fridays. Partly because a lot of the people I want to gift to end up in the bar, and that's also partly because it's the start of the weekend (not that farm-masters get days off.)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mrenda posted:

It's not about minmaxing, it's just about sorting out gifts. That's something I've ignored on previous play-throughs and I do want to see the events. I'm still goofing about in game once I get everything planted. Although it'll be nice to not have to fully worry about gifting when certain things are maxed out and they can't decay too much. Just run about on my daily chores and chat to people like a local friendly farmer developing an indecipherable rural accent while away from the city.

Which does make me think... What's your favourite day for gifting? I particularly like Fridays. Partly because a lot of the people I want to gift to end up in the bar, and that's also partly because it's the start of the weekend (not that farm-masters get days off.)

i don't min-max my gifting so generally i just make tons of sashimi since pretty much everyone likes it but leah and uhh i forget, i think there's another. i just hand it out to whoever i run across through the day, so by halfway thru year 2 everyone loves me except the kids and dwarf b/c i run across them so little. krobus at least gets me every friday for the sprinkler

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What’s this discussion about trees transforming? I’m yet to play 1.6, but the wiki page for trees has nothing to suggest that trees might change their type.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Grundulum posted:

What’s this discussion about trees transforming? I’m yet to play 1.6, but the wiki page for trees has nothing to suggest that trees might change their type.

The Green Rain event can change trees, I think.

Gifting - I just gift people on their birthdays and then if I happen to see them while holding something they might like. I always use a mod to take away friendship decay so I don't have to go maintain friendships in the town.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grundulum posted:

There's a new summer event in 1.6, it's sort of worth being surprised by, but if you're curious:

One day in summer, you will get "Green Rain" which causes tons of overgrowth and a bunch of trees to transform into semi-special trees. I had the impression that most stuff reverts to normal the next day, and it should be relatively non-destructive to anything important.

Poil posted:

Yes, but that's pointless and unfun busywork. I don't want to do that because it is tedious, not fun and utterly stupid that I'm apparently expected to.
Cutting down and replanting a single tree feels like a pretty trivial task. Unless you made a whole orchard of oak that all got transformed?

I had a bunch of utility trees on my farm and I don't think any of them got converted permanently, so I dunno what's up.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
vinegar prevents moss but idk about transformation

Oxyclean posted:

I had a bunch of utility trees on my farm and I don't think any of them got converted permanently, so I dunno what's up.

some trees revert, most noticeably ones in the town proper ("I shouldn't chop down trees in town") will always revert. Farm trees do too but have a higher chance to stay permanently as the new trees, which kind of suck.

It's more that you might have your harvest of oak resin, pine tar or maple syrup synchronized and don't want to have to regrow a tree then wait up to 9 days to place a tapper to get that back. Not a big deal imo but it might bother some people.

idk if foraging or farming mastery is more worthwhile first. Mystic trees seem cool as h*ck but the applications won't come until pretty near the end game.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sloober posted:

i don't min-max my gifting so generally i just make tons of sashimi since pretty much everyone likes it but leah and uhh i forget, i think there's another. i just hand it out to whoever i run across through the day, so by halfway thru year 2 everyone loves me except the kids and dwarf b/c i run across them so little. krobus at least gets me every friday for the sprinkler
Tortillas are good for non-fish-likers, just don't give them to Kent. (They remind him of POW-camp food.)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mrenda posted:

It's not about minmaxing, it's just about sorting out gifts. That's something I've ignored on previous play-throughs and I do want to see the events

Oh ok fair, I also looked up gifts after my first play through when I just went off trial and error and the hidden journal scraps.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
there's now an ingame mechanic where you can look at villagers and see how they've responded to past gifts, I believe it's in the friendship tab of the pause menu

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GotLag posted:

I just tried it this current playthrough I'm doing and honestly same, I think it's really nice in just keeping chill factor high for me and my co-op partner. some people really dig the full prep go hard go deep super bomb thing and that's cool. this time I decided for something different and it's surprising how much the elevator changes the vibes. I like that.

it IS funny to have Qi talk about getting to 100 honorably though

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
My gift spreadsheet is the poo poo. It's got multiple tabs with clever pivots and I love it. And now I barely use it because sashimi is the answer. I look up birthdays for a special treat usually, though, and try to keep a bunch of gold daffodils around. Emily Evelyn Krobus and Kent don't like sashimi, btw (and one other person). Leah's fine with it. Sebastian loves it. Willy is oddly neutral

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Willy makes sense, a small-town fisherman is generally going to be neutral to eating fish since they probably eat it a lot. Also Emily and Evelyn lean vegetarian so dislike fish dishes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He loves Catfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gaius Marius posted:

He loves Catfish

Looks like Willy prefers his fish cooked. Which, fair.