Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Guy just minding his own business at work all of a sudden his balls start to hurt and he realizes he's just got unfucked, someone must have repaired the guitar

I too watched Tenet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I love the fact that she didn't even read the letter before scrawling all over it in red sharpie. She's like an avatar of this thread. We should get her an account.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
AITA for keeping all my prize money even tho it would helped my dad and stepmom

quote:

my phones on 7% I’ll fix the grammar later

I (16f) entered our yearly towns raffle not thinking I’d win I just bought tickets because I supported the charity, they’re always good prizes the top one being a gift card for 1000 in a gift cards

My stepmom won a fancy wine/food basket which she told us she’d enjoy to all to herself as it was her prize and with the pregnancy/money troubles she said she deserved something just for her. About two days later while at my moms I got a text saying I won

After collecting my prize my mom said I should spend it all on things I always wanted but we couldn’t afford, so I did I get nice shoes,perfumes,makeup etc

Here’s were I made a mistake I posted to social media about winning and what I got. Within 30 minutes dad called me and told me I was selfish and cruel to buy myself unnecessary crap while I knew they were struggling. Stepmom than got on the phone and asked how much I had left so I said 280

She than asked would I return my stuff or at the very least give them the gift card so they could get stuff for the baby because I knew how bad they were struggling. I said no just like her gift basket it was Mine to keep. She started crying calling me names I couldn’t understand and dad took the phone saying he was disappointed in me and I’ve changed the way he views me.

I just hung up afterwards dad told my mom that it’s best I don’t come over for a few weeks due till everyone claims down, my step sister texted me saying “gently caress them they shouldn’t be having more kids they can’t afford” but my stepmom had been sending me messages begging to help them out for the innocent baby sake now I feel extremely guilty

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Yeah don't keep popping them out lady. Yeesh. 16yo absolutely isn't the rear end in a top hat here.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mordiceius posted:

Your step sister rocks, lmao

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And the wine was returned and the money was spent on diapers, right?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

*banjo music plays*

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Step sister is probably like, "these assholes are going to make me help with the baby."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And the wine was returned and the money was spent on diapers, right?

The wine was used to purchase a fetal alcohol syndrome.

Update it the comments:

quote:

my mom was at work when everything really happened and we never got a chance at a proper conversation till she woke up awhile ago. she asked to see the messages I was sent and got extremely angry so she called my father and asked to be put on speaker than ripped them both a new one.she told my dad she‘ll be going back to court for full custody and the backdated child support he owed which was news to me not gonna lie. he told her she can’t do that and she said with the texts and voicemail they sent us she very much could. i started getting calls but I just blocked them step sister told me they’re losing their poo poo thinking of ways to fix it and it’s best if I blocked her number/Instagram and we just speak via tiktok till she’s 18 in 5 months and can legally live with her older sister. don’t know what dad and stepmom will do after all their babysitters leave the house but I hope they’ll just stop having kids they can’t afford i know it’s super early to say this because it’s been a day but the things dad said to me I honestly think our relationship will never be ok but maybe in a few months I might forgive him

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The wine was used to purchase a fetal alcohol syndrome.
oh gently caress lol. I hadn't even thought about that.

Update it the comments:

The mom and step-sister were both the fuckin heroes of the story to support OP.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

titty_baby_ posted:

whenever I read these stories i always think of what amount of $ would make OP the rear end in a top hat

Sometimes we get stories like this where one person in a family gets some inheritance or is described as rich, but won't even help their spouse out financially let alone helping the extended family in any way. But I always assume its someone who just had like 5 million land in their lap and is so greedy they refuse to help pay off their wife's student loans or help their little niece with college.

But the reality which comes out in the comments usually is that the "rich" person got like a 100k inheritance and the moment word got out the entire extended family has been hounding them relentlessly for handouts that they don't even really need. And they reason they want to hold onto the money is to simply pay down their own debts and maybe have a tiny bit left over for a rainy day. Or like the "very rich" person who's expected to pay the $1000 bill for the monthly extended-family dinners only makes 70k a year compared to the 40-50k a year average for the rest of the family.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mordiceius posted:

quote:

my phones on 7% I’ll fix the grammar later

Summary YTA judgment

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Grammar? She died years ago!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm NTA for dude in this story. I think I'd be on his side even without the note. At a certain point I think you lose the right to get mad about someone having sex if you do not want to have sex with them. "Stay sexually faithful to me, I will never have sex with you again" is an unfair demand. The answer, of course, is divorce.

100% this. Absurd demands don't get to be honored.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AITA for wanting to name our son Kazuma? (from an anime)

quote:

My wife wanted to give our upcoming son a unique name. She kept suggesting things like tysepherous and raprelta. I suggested the name Kazuma after Kazuma Sato the main protagonist of the anime konosuba. I picked that name because I think the character is someone I want my son to be like when he grows up. My wife not knowing where the name came from fell in love with it and told all of our family we were naming our baby Kazuma.

All was well until I was watching some konosuba in the living room and one of the characters (megumin) said "Kazuma! Kazuma!". She had a look of horror after hearing that and immediantly googled Kazuma and found out he's from an anime. She was furious and said "how could you not tell me!?!"

I told her that konosuba was a light novel before it was an anime and many famous names have come from books like Alice. Therefore it's not at all strange to name our son after a character from a book. After that she seems to have calmed down but is still upset that I didn't tell her that before she told all our family and now wants to pick a different name. AITA?

They both suck! All of those names are terrible!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I don't count it as an affair if you have written permission from your spouse. Which he did. Written on the letter where he begged her to "do couples therapy or sex therapy", so ah 2/3 of those options there were already ruled out.

If you do something your spouse literally wrote a permission slip for, I think you're NTA. Dude needs to divorce for his own sake, but I won't hold it against him that he did exactly what his wife requested.

This story is just loving sad. It sounds like she has Asherman’s Syndrome or something, which is an insanely traumatic thing to find out, and she is understandably traumatized. But she is processing her trauma in the least healthy way imaginable. I understand why he wouldn’t want to divorce her - he loves her and that would feel like abandoning her, because it sort of is. But you can’t help someone who doesn’t want to be helped, and she does not want to be helped. He should have just divorced her after the red pen.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

They both suck! All of those names are terrible!

name him Azuma Kazuma so that he will make some great loving bread

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You are not allowed to name your son Kazuma unless your last name is Kiryu

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mordiceius posted:

quote:

many famous names have come from books like Alice

What? Which famous name came from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? The Cheshire Cat? The Hatter? The Queen of Hearts? The loving Mock Turtle?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Actually, Mock Turtle was my father. You can call me Stu

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Shanghaied posted:

What? Which famous name came from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? The Cheshire Cat? The Hatter? The Queen of Hearts? The loving Mock Turtle?

i would bet a dollar they’re thinking of the name Wendy from Peter Pan

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
can't wait to name my kid audrey or elizabeth or something really weird like kevin

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Mordiceius posted:

quote:

I picked that name because I think the character is someone I want my son to be like when he grows up.

Settle on Goku

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

There's garden-variety dead bedrooms, and then there's this:

AITAH for getting it elsewhere since my wife didn't want to have sex any more?

That age reveal whiplashed me hard.

There is literally not one thing in this relationship worth saving for OP. Just hand her the divorce papers and go live the rest of your life.
Someone posted the following about this to r/ohnoconsequences arguing that the post is fake because of some of the weird comments OP has posted in the thread:

quote:

After reading a bunch of OP's replies in the original post, I'm 90% sure this is incel fanfiction.

His wife is supposedly bi, but also only wants to have sex for procreation purposes. But he also both claims that they've shared women, but also doesn't know if she's been with women in separate comments. "She has brought home other women for us to share before." and "She's bi so I imagine she's been with women before."

He continually alludes to some mysterious event in her past about "stupid poo poo a lot of young women do" that's now the reason she's denying him sex. Something "She more or less did it to herself. By accident, ignorance, and apathy." But also "She never did anything in her youth that she regrets." He's just commenting "women bad" in multiple ways using his wife as an example. He really wants everyone to know it's her fault; "I do not blame her for being sterile. Her choices lead to that"

Other comments of his claim his wife would offer to bring him other women to sleep with, but he's such an upstanding guy that he would refuse them. "after her diagnosis she brought home other women for me. I always declined because I had no interest in sex without her."

But even though he had no interest in sex without her, he had not problem finding a girlfriend who'll sleep with him because he's super attractive and successful, so he's the hero of this story. In his words, "I found someone to meet my needs

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
How many Japanese kids have had to grow up with names like Lion-O or Scooby Doo?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

haveblue posted:

You are not allowed to name your son Kazuma unless your last name is Kiryu

:hai: Don't saddle your kid with expectations from the name you gave them ffs

Mordiceius posted:

I admit, I love that even the stepsister is tired of her parents' poo poo :allears:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shardix posted:

How many Japanese kids have had to grow up with names like Lion-O or Scooby Doo?
Japan just made it illegal for parents to give kids names where the reading of the name doesn't match the kanji because there was so much outrage over parents giving kids weird names

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
So much for my dream of someday meeting a Ricksanchez Mitsuhama-san.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When we were in our late teens one of our friends was a woman that went by the nickname Pixie. She then had two daughters and named them Pixie Hope and Cherish Pixie.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shardix posted:

So much for my dream of someday meeting a Ricksanchez Mitsuhama-san.
Well it actually doesn't prevent giving names in kana but I think even parents who would be inclined to give a dumb name wouldn't be insane enough to give their kid a foreign name in katakana

I guess it might not stop parents from giving girls made up names in hiragana

It does stop the most obnoxious trend which was giving unreadable names in kanji where the pronunciation had nothing to do with the way it was written, called "kira kira names" (meaning something like "sparkle names")

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 1, 2024

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

mystes posted:

Japan just made it illegal for parents to give kids names where the reading of the name doesn't match the kanji because there was so much outrage over parents giving kids weird names

An Estonian friend of mine confirmed that they absolutely have names like Keightlynne there so I guess a lot of the world does stuff like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mystes posted:

Well it actually doesn't prevent giving names in kana but I think even parents who would be inclined to give a dumb name wouldn't be insane enough to give their kid a foreign name in katakana

I guess it might not stop parents from giving girls made up names in hiragana

It does stop the most obnoxious trend which was giving unreadable names in kanji where the pronunciation had nothing to do with the way it was written, called "kira kira names" (meaning something like "sparkle names")

Ah, like the English tradition of toffs and towns with long weird names pronounced completely differently because they gave up about 500 years ago.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
nah that's bullshit, kanji is already a system where so much is left up to context, being all, wait no but not like THAT is, ugh.

japan is determined to go down clinging to its culture and gatekeeping its own people to try and prevent change. eventually the criteria for who counts as actually japanese will be limited to a solitary japanese man in the country making mochi

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Summary YTA judgment

She never did fix the grammar, did she? :sigh:

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Update it the comments:
she told my dad she‘ll be going back to court for full custody and the backdated child support he owed which was news to me not gonna lie. he told her she can’t do that and she said with the texts and voicemail they sent us she very much could. i started getting calls but I just blocked them

I like a story where Mom goes for full scorched earth instead of trying to force the kid to reconcile with AHs. They came after her kid, and not only did she support the kid she's getting the kid away from the AHs for good and cutting out her support for them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

nah that's bullshit, kanji is already a system where so much is left up to context, being all, wait no but not like THAT is, ugh.

japan is determined to go down clinging to its culture and gatekeeping its own people to try and prevent change. eventually the criteria for who counts as actually japanese will be limited to a solitary japanese man in the country making mochi
The thing that's kind of interesting is that the reason this came up is because before, readings of kanji names weren't entered into family registers at all and I think they weren't part of any official documentation for people who didn't have passports until a year or two ago, so it apparently used to be possible for people who didn't like the names their parents had given them to just decide to move somewhere new and go by a different reading of the same characters without having to legally change their name

Although the flip side of that is that I think it's actually a massive PITA for people to legally change their first name in Japan if they need to, which is probably because of the family register system (which is dumb and probably needs to be eliminated anyway)

The worse problem with that is that spouses can't have different last names even though people keep talking about trying to change that

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

haveblue posted:

Actually, Mock Turtle was my father. You can call me Stu

:eyepop:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

eventually the criteria for who counts as actually japanese will be limited to a solitary rabbit on the moon making mochi

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

mystes posted:

This just made me realize that Light's parents were the real villains of Death Note for giving him such a Tragedeigh of a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

oh jay posted:

This just made me realize that Light's parents were the real villains of Death Note for giving him such a Tragedeigh of a name.

That would explain a lot come to think of it