Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Tangent, but I came across this page a while back and it made me laugh.

Absurd Trolley Problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Don't mean to derail (haha) but the show doesn't seem to really grasp what the fundamental nature of the choice is. The trolley problem is about the concepts of intervention and culpability, i.e. "if by not acting when you have the opportunity, the train kills five people, have you committed murder?" Or "If you intervene and save five people, have you not murdered the one you deliberately turned the train toward?" It's a question about ethics and there is no "right answer".

But the show takes this weird tack where it makes it about "which would you rather kill" given two hypothetical victim classes. "Who would you rather kill, your ex-boyfriend or five squirrels?" "OK but what if the squirrels had machine guns??" As soon as Eleanor or anyone says "easy, I'd kill Santa Claus" or whatever, he says "OK! But what if ...<weird twist hypothetical>", which makes it not about ethics but about a kid bribing his brother to eat a mud pie or something.

Yeah it's funny and I get that the point of the episode is to show that Michael is loving with Chidi and forcing him to make up his mind under pressure and to be good comedy. But it's wildly missing the point of the trolley problem.
I haven't watched it in a long time but couldn't you chalk that up to Chidi not really understanding the point of moral philosophy because he's obsessed with working out the correct answer to every situation?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I could, but it would require some stretching of what you're apparently supposed to take home from the experience. Given the huge amount of time the episode spends on all the comedy hypotheticals and how it doesn't spend the 10 seconds it would take for Michael or Chidi to explain what the baseline trolley problem and its purpose are, all the iterations have the narrative effect of just making it seem like the show itself doesn't get the point and only knows the trolley problem from memes like ^^

Chidi isn't portrayed as not being able to deal with the hypotheticals because he's fixated on the "wrong" kinds of trolley problems and Michael is trying to set him straight; the show doesn't give us the "straight" side at all (let alone Michael trying to reinforce it in opposition to the Santa Claus ones) so that read doesn't come through for me. If the point was to show Chidi agonizing over the "right" answer when there was none it could have made that point, but it doesn't.

Which could be an editing problem, who knows. Again I'm glad the writers at least gamely tried, and it's a tall ask, but the effect is just to muddy the concept for the lay viewer.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They had moral philosophers as consultants, so I think they just presented it incorrectly to set up Michael sacrificing himself later.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I like the good place but I hated how narrow their perception of the afterlife was. They essentially made heaven really boring and said "people would rather cease to exist". gently caress that! What a horrible message.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm phoneposting right now so I can't really get into why that's kind of a bad take, but the idea is way deeper than just "heaven is boring"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Medullah posted:

Tangent, but I came across this page a while back and it made me laugh.

Absurd Trolley Problems

I’m never getting on a trolley again. This is far too stressful a way to lead my life.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

theflyingexecutive posted:

They had moral philosophers as consultants, so I think they just presented it incorrectly to set up Michael sacrificing himself later.

Could be. "I solved the trolley problem" is a weird way to put it since it isn't supposed to have a "solution", but it works narratively.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Data Graham posted:

For sure, and I probably learned more about various philosophers from Chidi's lectures than from anything I actually studied anywhere else lol

Lol found myself scrambling to look stuff up yeah

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Taear posted:

I like the good place but I hated how narrow their perception of the afterlife was. They essentially made heaven really boring and said "people would rather cease to exist". gently caress that! What a horrible message.

Did you miss the part where People were in heaven for multiple jeremy bearimies? After enough time, you're going to experience everything you can and be done. It's not that heaven is boring, it's that they already did everything they could do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m never getting on a trolley again. This is far too stressful a way to lead my life.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I mostly didn't find The Good Place very funny, but it had some charm. I gave up on it during the Australia arc.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I think this scene just makes it clearer that the show was less interested in being coherent with its moral lesson of the week (which is very much part of what the show was doing) and would just pursue a joke for its own sake.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I could, but it would require some stretching of what you're apparently supposed to take home from the experience. Given the huge amount of time the episode spends on all the comedy hypotheticals and how it doesn't spend the 10 seconds it would take for Michael or Chidi to explain what the baseline trolley problem and its purpose are, all the iterations have the narrative effect of just making it seem like the show itself doesn't get the point and only knows the trolley problem from memes like ^^

Chidi isn't portrayed as not being able to deal with the hypotheticals because he's fixated on the "wrong" kinds of trolley problems and Michael is trying to set him straight; the show doesn't give us the "straight" side at all (let alone Michael trying to reinforce it in opposition to the Santa Claus ones) so that read doesn't come through for me. If the point was to show Chidi agonizing over the "right" answer when there was none it could have made that point, but it doesn't.

Which could be an editing problem, who knows. Again I'm glad the writers at least gamely tried, and it's a tall ask, but the effect is just to muddy the concept for the lay viewer.

I'm a STEM-lord so I probably don't really "get" the trolley problem's intricacies, but I will point out since I watched it just now to get the screenshot for my shitpost, Chidi does introduce the problem as slightly open-ended, because he is the one who introduces the "what if you're a doctor who could save five people by chopping up one person", etc., and rest of Team Cockroach seems to think this is a different ethical dilemma than the trolley one. Of course Michael then eventually uses all of Chidi's alternate examples to show how they're hosed up situations and drives Chidi insane, which is the comedy of the episode, but I took the opening lecture to be Chidi trying to challenge the Cockroaches into applying the learned ethical systems to versions of the problem. Michael just diverts the whole thing because he's a big ol'meaney.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's also a comedy show with 22 minutes episodes so even 10 seconds to outline the setup is a lot to devote when it has no impact on the jokes it's trying to setup.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The one part of The Good Place that didn't work for me was Adam Scott's sleazy devil character. I was really excited when he popped up, but then eh. That could have been a good role for Timothy Olyphant. He could have brought some of that low key dirt bag energy from Go.

Edit: the best part was any time Kristen Bell says "shrempies" or the montage of Janet getting deactivated. Or anything Janet did. D'Arcy Carden was INCREDIBLE in that show.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 30, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Taear posted:

The point is that the human mind isn't evolved to handle the afterlife as it is often described. You can read every book, watch every tv show, play every game a trillion times, and you will still have the rest of eternity left.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The background gags would get me in "The Good Place."

When they were in Australia, there was a blink and you'll miss it moment where there was an intersection and the street names were THATSNOTAst and THISISAst

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Oasx posted:

The point is that the human mind isn't evolved to handle the afterlife as it is often described. You can read every book, watch every tv show, play every game a trillion times, and you will still have the rest of eternity left.

Its also not that you cease to exist. You just go on to exist as something else.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bull3964 posted:

The background gags would get me in "The Good Place."

When they were in Australia, there was a blink and you'll miss it moment where there was an intersection and the street names were THATSNOTAst and THISISAst

Sooooo many restaurant and store puns. Also, Randy "Macho Man" Savage International Airport

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My radar for someone mentioning spectacularly underrated 1999 movie “Go” just went off

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh my god. 4 years after the implosion of the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen, Claire Saffitz is once again trying to make things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd0TQeVQ2Z0

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

X-O posted:

Nah, he's great. His podcast appearances with Conan are some of the best stuff you can listen to. Their friendship is fantastic.

I only know Olyphant from Die Hard 4, Deadwood and his odd little cameo in Rango as the Eastwood sound-a-like, but in real life he's a loving weird and funny dude and his interactions with Conan are pretty amazing because Conan constantly calls him out on it and Olyphant just plays it off much to Conan's delight.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cojawfee posted:

Did you miss the part where People were in heaven for multiple jeremy bearimies? After enough time, you're going to experience everything you can and be done. It's not that heaven is boring, it's that they already did everything they could do.

No, I didn't.
I don't think there's such a thing as doing everything. The afterlife is just "here, but with some imagination powers" it feels like, that's what I don't like. I'm kinda seeing it as a science fiction concept and I don't feel like they went far enough with it. And obviously you kinda CAN'T but that didn't matter until the way they did the ending.

Oasx posted:

Again that's just really narrow. I don't like the perception of the afterlife as they have it, it's just a really blah interpretation.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The core idea of an unbroken eternity as yourself is horrifying, dude. There's simply no way to find contentment with unending existence. I'm not saying this to poo poo on the concept of heaven, but whatever comes after is just going to be more of this, with the same core dissatisfactions and ennui. It's one of the most potent philosophical ideas in the show, imo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I take it you're not religious because the biggest religions' heavens boil down to life here, but no powers and a better body and God is more present and you're meant to like that above all other things about it.

I'm not sure what more you could ask for from an afterlife than what Good Place offered, it lets you have and do any experience you want, so whatever it is you're asking for is necessarily included Whatever version of heaven or existence you'd prefer is freely attainable. Their version includes all versions by choice, you're saying it's missing things but if you were there and wanted those things, even if you didn't know what those things were, it could be made to be there for you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The fundamental problem with the show's interpretation of things is that it's not actually a real conflict by the stakes of their reality, it exists only to make a point. In a world with Janet, you would only feel what you want to feel. You would only remember what you want to remember. You would never, ever have any problems, because the second you perceive something to be a problem you would change yourself or the world around you for it to not be a problem. They aren't human, they don't operate on human terms. The show requires that they do though so it can have it's big moment on how to live your life and let go.

It was always a philosophy based show, the afterlife kick is just the means it used to get people to buy in. After all, everyone hates moral philosophers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I ain’t reading all this but I do agree with whoever said generally the show isn’t funny. Idiom I think?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, it was a very funny show.

Mulva posted:

The fundamental problem with the show's interpretation of things is that it's not actually a real conflict by the stakes of their reality, it exists only to make a point. In a world with Janet, you would only feel what you want to feel. You would only remember what you want to remember. You would never, ever have any problems, because the second you perceive something to be a problem you would change yourself or the world around you for it to not be a problem. They aren't human, they don't operate on human terms. The show requires that they do though so it can have it's big moment on how to live your life and let go.

It was always a philosophy based show, the afterlife kick is just the means it used to get people to buy in. After all, everyone hates moral philosophers.

Lobotomizing yourself is... not a real solution

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Why the hell not, you are dead. You don't have biology, and psychology in human terms is based on absolutes that heaven doesn't work on. You could just craft one perfect moment and live in it forever, it's functionally the same thing as the solution they came up with. Done is done, why is the done where you don't exist better than the done where you are eternally happy? Both are artificial constructs. Both have no intrinsic meaning. One exists to make a point about living, but the dead are definitionally not living. Why should they hold themselves to standards on how to live life that no longer apply?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know how to explain to you that that's hosed up. Altering the way your brain reacts to stimuli, the way you as a person behave and think, is the death of the self.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought she looked kind of familiar but the goth landlady in Dead Boy Detectives is the sister of Kaley Cuoco.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

I thought she looked kind of familiar but the goth landlady in Dead Boy Detectives is the sister of Kaley Cuoco.

Dude it was the same for me. I saw her facial expressions and was like "Where do I know her from????". IMDb up, scrolling and nothing rings a bell, then I noticed her name and it was like Bruce Willis at the end of the Sixth Sense

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The montage at the beginning of season 2 of The Good Place was one of my favorite TV watching moments ever. Going in I thought them having to figure it out all over again was going to be the whole season. Seeing all those potential storylines turned into quick jokes, particularly the one where Jason figures it out, was a constant series of delights.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the first few episodes of Ripley were great but its really ground to a halt after the boat. and none of the characters have any chemistry with each other

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Arist posted:

I don't know how to explain to you that that's hosed up. Altering the way your brain reacts to stimuli, the way you as a person behave and think, is the death of the self.

They don't have brains, and are already dead. What are you being precious about?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mulva posted:

They don't have brains, and are already dead. What are you being precious about?

This is maybe the dumbest post I've ever read

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The problem is not that they are literally altering their brain chemistry, or that they are literally killing themselves, it is that the person on the other end of that process is, in essence, someone new.

You can say the same for the idea of "curing" mental conditions and disorders. The idea of an autism "cure" is extremely controversial, particularly within the autistic community, for exactly this reason. The person who comes out isn't the person who went in, isn't you. They're liable to think and act in entirely different ways.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I can't believe Michael would kill Chidi in order to create Chidi-Prime.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Truspeaker posted:

The montage at the beginning of season 2 of The Good Place was one of my favorite TV watching moments ever. Going in I thought them having to figure it out all over again was going to be the whole season. Seeing all those potential storylines turned into quick jokes, particularly the one where Jason figures it out, was a constant series of delights.

Michael being so personally offended by that one was amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I am so happy that the guy that introduced me to The Good Place and watched part of season 1 with me managed to not spoil it.