Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Kalli posted:

To be fair, the Falcons made such a remarkably foolish decision, it's fine to presume they wouldn't do anything reasonable.

They’re under no obligation to make sure Jets fans get the draft pick that they wanted, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheBizzness posted:

They’re under no obligation to make sure Jets fans get the draft pick that they wanted, either.

Of course not but they spewed free value and i'm perfectly justified in calling them morons for that.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I still don't know what to think about Rousseau. He's certainly good enough to pick up his option but he doesn't seem like he's proven himself as worth a long-term deal just yet.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

I still don't know what to think about Rousseau. He's certainly good enough to pick up his option but he doesn't seem like he's proven himself as worth a long-term deal just yet.

gently caress, the system works.

I was more surprised the Jags picked up Etienne's. Then I looked and saw it was under $7m. Man RB's are in a terrible situation right now.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'd be happy to pay him as a DE2 to be a DE2 to a blue chip DE1 on a rookie deal.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol someone on the Jets subreddit found Revis' old shirt at a thrift shop. It had his boarding pass inside the pocket.

https://old.reddit.com/r/nyjets/comments/1cfqkkj/found_darelle_reviss_prada_shirt_at_a_thrift/

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 29, 2024

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mcmagic posted:

Of course not but they spewed free value and i'm perfectly justified in calling them morons for that.

I guess you’ll have to settle for Joe Thomas

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheBizzness posted:

I guess you’ll have to settle for Joe Thomas

if he's joe thomas, that is awesome but that is far from a sure thing heh

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Now my interest is slightly piqued.

https://twitter.com/greggrosenthal/status/1785005746192834672

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/1785029068196372884?t=qD58pxsOFHOZBX20hmJ1Fw&s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Diva Cupcake posted:

lol someone on the Jets subreddit found Revis' old shirt at a thrift shop. It had his boarding pass inside the pocket.

https://old.reddit.com/r/nyjets/comments/1cfqkkj/found_darelle_reviss_prada_shirt_at_a_thrift/

That's cool

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Can we probe posters who post clips from that event in here like they ban gore in political threads?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Well, scratch the Jets' cast off as a possible answer at LT, lmao

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1785041054372073519

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kalli posted:

Well, scratch the Jets' cast off as a possible answer at LT, lmao

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1785041054372073519

Wash should bring him in

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mcmagic posted:

Can we probe posters who post clips from that event in here like they ban gore in political threads?

im all for it

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

mcmagic posted:

odunze was going 9, if they traded down to 10 with the jets, they still would've been able to make their lovely pick.

i mean sure, if the falcons had made their insane pick in a specific (and admittedly slightly smarter) way then yeah the jets would have benefited. if the falcons had drafted just about anyone expected, the jets would have been in the same situation if not worse with ATL trading away odunze to someone other than NYJ

e: damnit missed the last page. agree the falcons gave up free value but i'd say that's hardly the biggest concern with the pick

stuker fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 30, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1785306746686198160
Maye better be good!!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
what a mistake

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

You're not guaranteed to be able to draft a quarterback that's actually worthy of a first round pick in any given year, even if you're willing to trade up.

If you think Maye could be the guy, you take him without a second thought.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
No but you see, he might be bad!!!

The Patriots might actually just be like every other mediocre franchise now. How does one carry on?!?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

So that's less than the Lance trade? They got 3x firsts + a 3rd, though I guess the firsts were more spread out

This is 3 firsts (more frontloaded) but they wanted 2 decent picks back

And given the circumstances (the Pats desperately need a QB, the Dolphins did not), personally I always thought the offer needed to beat Lance.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, that's not some amazing hypothetical haul. It's super mid for 3rd overall. You probably take it if you hate everyone at #3, but otherwise meh.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I guess if you have Maye and McCarthy on the same tier you can take the trade back and try to maneuver for McCarthy, but as we learned there were shockingly few teams willing to trade back in the top 10.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Even though the Patriots suck rear end and probably will still have a pretty tough season with Maye, I feel entirely confident that they made the right decision.

You simply aren't in that situation frequently enough to pass it up. They can focus on building around him now, and at least there is some optimism from fans and players that success could be on the horizon.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
That's a pretty mediocre offer for #3

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nodoze posted:

That's a pretty mediocre offer for #3

Agreed. Like they wanted to get picks back from NE lol?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Docjowles posted:

Agreed. Like they wanted to get picks back from NE lol?

probably just a bit of a fishing expedition

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...
Took a few days to think about the draft...

Trading down to get more picks, a 4th next year, and covering core needs was great. Getting 4 team captains can only do good things for the locker room.

I'd rank it patriots/jets/bills/Miami for the draft. I think Maye was the only QB that might survive a season with that line.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The ringer said the Dolphins had the best draft in the division (maybe tied for best?) and obviously those guys are always right.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

TheBizzness posted:

The ringer said the Dolphins had the best draft in the division (maybe tied for best?) and obviously those guys are always right.

it stinks

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Counterpoint: we have literally no idea who actually had a good draft and won’t for at least 8-20 months from now.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The Dolphins got 2 guys that will immediately contribute (Chop Robinson and Jaylen Wright), 2 guys that have a decent chance of contributing (Mo Kamara and Malik Washington) and a project with very high potential upside (Patrick Paul). I think a lot of negativity on the draft comes from everyone expecting them to take IOL, and that still could totally bite them in the rear end, but overall I think it was a good draft.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

imo the problem with the dolphins draft is that, regardless of how good these players wind up being, it didn't address any immediate needs for the team

i'd be fine with the paul pick if MIA had invested any offseason capital whatsoever in the interior OL (aaron brewer does not count), but a project guy to play when armstead is too broken is not nearly as important as replacement of DT/G starters you just lost. i'd rather hope on finding another van ginkel and lose some blitz attempts than deal with multiple DOA offensive downs because we can't snap the ball

a few days removed, it feels like grier spent the premium draft capital trying to hedge previous moves he's made (jackson/armstead->paul, chubb/phillips->chop) when there were opportunities to fix obvious issues

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The Dolphins do have some need at end having lost AVG and Phillips and Chubb suffering serious injury in the second half of the season. Especially Chubb.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Drafting for immediate need is a sucker's bet and I'm glad Miami didn't do it.

The lead-up to the event is treated like it's a lottery of infinite possibility but a draft is going to produce 15-20 actual good players that in retrospect will have been meaningfully worth or exceed the value of their pick and then a bunch of jag's, busts, etc. There's no guarantee there's going to be a single player worthwhile at any position of need, much less one available where you pick. You might get lucky, but you're much better off going after what you think is most likely to be a good player and then figuring out the rest.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hamhandler posted:

This is a bit of what I hated about the Bills draft, yeah. I think players like Johnny Newton and Cooper Dejean are much stronger bets to be Pro Bowl level players than Coleman is, but their WR room ended up SO dire that they couldn't let the board fall to them.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Hamhandler posted:

The lead-up to the event is treated like it's a lottery of infinite possibility but a draft is going to produce 15-20 actual good players that in retrospect will have been meaningfully worth or exceed the value of their pick and then a bunch of jag's, busts, etc. There's no guarantee there's going to be a single player worthwhile at any position of need, much less one available where you pick. You might get lucky, but you're much better off going after what you think is most likely to be a good player and then figuring out the rest.

i don't think teams should panic draft based on position, but IOL has been a long standing issue for the team and the current situation is:
Hunt -> CAR
Brewer <- TEN
Connor Williams <-> ???

there is no guarantee that your draft pick will be a good player regardless of their selection, much like there is no guarantee your free agent will be a good signing regardless of their contract. everything you're saying applies the same way to the players we did take, but i do know today chop robinson can't snap the ball

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Lmfao

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

fsif posted:

This is a bit of what I hated about the Bills draft, yeah. I think players like Johnny Newton and Cooper Dejean are much stronger bets to be Pro Bowl level players than Coleman is, but their WR room ended up SO dire that they couldn't let the board fall to them.

I do think the Dolphins have been surprisingly smart about their down year. Yeah, the Bills are still better, they they're also worse than last year, the Pats still have too many holes and the Jets are relying on post Achilles Rodgers. This might be the year that 9-10 wins gets to limp into the playoffs.

And I agree with most everyone else on not drafting for need. If they take this roster into the season they have big holes at G and 3rd safety, but it's a hell of a lot easier to find a free agent/waiver G or S than it is an edge or corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

considering injury, by at least week 4 it's 2+ OL positions out-- having a talented rookie might mitigate that (e: i guess im including connor williams but hes not listed)

secondary aside, i do not think it's that easy to find replacement level OL and i really think we're gonna find ourselves here in a year wondering why the hell we went into the season with that group

personally i love malik washington, and if [defensive coordinator] can run a dominant 2025 defense with chop/chubb/phillips (the CCP) this entire draft could look great. let's hope judo works again

stuker fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 1, 2024