Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Does dropping weed to schedule three allow export from legal states to other legal states? I know you can actually do interstate commerce with other schedule three drugs like ketamine so o would think so, but maybe there’s other legislation that would prevent that?

The other thing is wouldn’t this relieve the banking pressure on marijuana businesses in legal weed states?

Again maybe there’s other federal legislation or regulations so the answer is no, but if it’s just schedule three now then I would think the answer is yes

So basically if I’m right - and I might be wrong as I mentioned above - then the real beneficiaries and pretty much the only beneficiaries of this change would be marijuana businesses

I don't think it would do even that. It's still a controlled substance. I'm sure there's rules a regulations about how you're supposed to handle schedule 3 substances, and I doubt any dispensary is gonna meet that requirement. You still need a prescription for schedule 3 stuff afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
All rescheduling does is open a path to legalization within the boundaries of medical use under doctor supervision.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Throwback Tuesday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttscNOoAjA

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXTLBhe-ccU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its literally nothing lol

DON'T LET PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF GOOD!!!!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

where can I get this shirt

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

say what you will about chuds but they wouldn’t do this

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Excelzior posted:

https://rawdesignfirm.wixsite.com/mysite/hillary-wear

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phone posted:

DON'T LET PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF GOOD!!!!

"Don't let bad be the enemy of perfect" - me, wiser than whoever came up with the other slogan

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it was a rhetorical question but ty, bookmarked

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
moving it to schedule 3 is such a historic shift that opens up so many possibilities that the bad thread's entire engagement with it is if "a" or "an" was appropriate for a tweet about it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Trabisnikof posted:

also by the time the rule is actually published in the federal register it will be well within the period that will let the next congress undo it through the CRA:

So because the Biden-Harris Administration has dragged their feet on this for so long. they've not only made it trivial for it to get undone if Biden loses, but if it does get undone, the DEA will never be able to reschedule weed again without an act of Congress.

the purpose of a system is what it does

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

*watches Rudolf Höss show kindness toward domestic dogs in "The Zone of Interest"*

Lib:

"Wow I'm pretty conflicted here"

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

moving it to schedule 3 is such a historic shift that opens up so many possibilities that the bad thread's entire engagement with it is if "a" or "an" was appropriate for a tweet about it

i think even those freaks know its worthless

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jen heir rick posted:

I don't think it would do even that. It's still a controlled substance. I'm sure there's rules a regulations about how you're supposed to handle schedule 3 substances, and I doubt any dispensary is gonna meet that requirement. You still need a prescription for schedule 3 stuff afaik.

Yeah it’s still scheduled but with a schedule iii you can legally produce it and sell it across state lines, which you can’t do in pretty much any circumstance with a schedule I. Think ketamine or whatever. It’s clearly handled differently. That’s why this strikes me as obviously not a move towards legalization and more of a favor to business interests that would like to get more involved in moving product across border between legal states. But again I’m really not familiar enough with the rules to know for sure, but that strikes me as the only meaningful thing that Biden might listen to (people in industry that want to make bags of money)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Selling it across state lines for recreational use would still be very illegal

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

Selling it across state lines for recreational use would still be very illegal

That makes sense to me. Again I’m not really up on the ins and outs of this and just trying to figure what if anything it might do

Nothus posted:

All rescheduling does is open a path to legalization within the boundaries of medical use under doctor supervision.

Got it. So maybe some relief in businesses that are still operating under the medical dispensary kabuki but nothing beyond that?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i suspect at least here in the pnw the dispensary owners will shrug and continue business as usual

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
its basically throwing a nickel at weed corporations because now they can probably use actual banks

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Nichael posted:

about 90% sure it won't be rescheduled

didn't take you for such an optimist

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Weed won't be legal until the right people are in a position to profit from/monopolize it.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Excelzior posted:

i'm so loving glad these people got owned

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its basically throwing a nickel at weed corporations because now they can probably use actual banks

Yeah this is the other thing I was curious if this would do, which isn’t nothing at all but it’s pretty limited in who it helps and also opens the door to more institutional money coming in

Which honestly has become the yardstick I measure these little bullshit quarter measures that Biden likes to float around - who is going to make money off of this and does it really do anything else?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Excelzior posted:

i got you fam

https://rawdesignfirm.wixsite.com/mysite/hillary-wear

Yea so things are a bit of a mess, all scandals and shootings and bigots. And one bigot in particular standing thisclose to the American presidency. If we’re calling spades spades, let’s just be direct: It’s a complete shitshow. It’s enough to make you want to hide inside your house until it seems safer. Because a lot of days lately it doesn’t feel all that safe. But while you’re cowering in there, watching the wheels come off live on CNN — again — open a window. Maybe you hear a little bird outside, warbling from a tree in the sun, like just being there on that branch, breeze rustling through her feathers, is the best thing in the world, like nothing is more perfect than that moment. And she takes off with all the optimism of dawn. So, maybe later she’s flying at the back of the flock and gets poo poo in her eye. But does she let that stop her from taking flight? Hell no, because maybe today’s the day she’ll soar ahead of the rest and lead them someplace amazing, where the sun is always shining and the breeze of hope always rustles. A place beyond shitshows. Be the bird, people. You got to. There’s no other way.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

another massive crackdown on the kids protesting surprising of course this happens again when genocide joe calls the protestors terrorists and anti-semites

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Does dropping weed to schedule three allow export from legal states to other legal states? I know you can actually do interstate commerce with other schedule three drugs like ketamine so o would think so, but maybe there’s other legislation that would prevent that?

The other thing is wouldn’t this relieve the banking pressure on marijuana businesses in legal weed states?

Again maybe there’s other federal legislation or regulations so the answer is no, but if it’s just schedule three now then I would think the answer is yes

So basically if I’m right - and I might be wrong as I mentioned above - then the real beneficiaries and pretty much the only beneficiaries of this change would be marijuana businesses

Schedule 3 lets you pay a doctor $500 for a zoom call to get a medical card, and lets the cops get to keep circumventing the 4th by "smelling the odor" and jailing people for not having $500 to pay a doctor over zoom.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
lol thc has been legal since 2018 thanks to the farm bill. it just needs to be derived from hemp that has 0.3% of it (ie you lie on your lab reports.) go buy a delta 9 gummy and have fun

Automata 10 Pack has issued a correction as of 02:36 on May 1, 2024

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
DANK BRANDON!!!

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

KomradeX posted:

The whole fighting tooth and nail to make sure his bastard grandkid isn't allowed to use the Biden last name might be the most personally vile thie about him

I'm sorry, what the gently caress?!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

unless the feds make that clear to the banks, not even that no. No mainline bank is going to risk getting its leadership put in actual prison for a few new customers. especially customers that would require a lot of compliance work to onboard and maintain.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Quantum Cat posted:

I'm sorry, what the gently caress?!

it’s the child hunter had with a stripper iirc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/isaiah_bb/status/1785483080037199880?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1781120448186462407

emphasis mine, in light of the current and on-going prosecution of dissidents, up to and including just today
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1785476700291399941

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/palestinian-refugees-us-gaza-white-house/

quote:

cbsnews.com
White House considers welcoming some Palestinians from war-torn Gaza as refugees
Camilo Montoya-Galvez
6–7 minutes

Updated on: April 30, 2024 / 8:31 PM EDT / CBS News

White House considers Gazan refugee effort
White House considers bringing some Palestinians to U.S. as refugees 00:24

The Biden administration is considering bringing certain Palestinians to the U.S. as refugees, a move that would offer a permanent safe haven to some of those fleeing war-torn Gaza, according to internal federal government documents obtained by CBS News.

In recent weeks, the documents show, senior officials across several federal U.S. agencies have discussed the practicality of different options to resettle Palestinians from Gaza who have immediate family members who are American citizens or permanent residents.

One of those proposals involves using the decades-old United States Refugee Admissions Program to welcome Palestinians with U.S. ties who have managed to escape Gaza and enter neighboring Egypt, according to the inter-agency planning documents.

Top U.S. officials have also discussed getting additional Palestinians out of Gaza and processing them as refugees if they have American relatives, the documents show. The plans would require coordination with Egypt, which has so far refused to welcome large numbers of people from Gaza.

Those who pass a series of eligibility, medical and security screenings would qualify to fly to the U.S. with refugee status, which offers beneficiaries permanent residency, resettlement benefits like housing assistance and a path to American citizenship.

While the eligible population is expected to be relatively small, the plans being discussed by U.S. officials could offer a lifeline to some Palestinians fleeing the Israel-Hamas war, which local public health authorities say has claimed the lives of more than 34,000 people and displaced hundreds of thousands of civilians in Gaza.

The Israeli government launched a military offensive and aerial bombardment of Gaza after Hamas staged an unprecedented attack across Israel on Oct. 7, killing roughly 1,200 people, most of them civilians. Hamas militants also abducted more than 200 people, many of whom continue to be in captivity.

CBS News has reached out to the White House, Department of Homeland Security and State Department for comment.

The proposals to resettle certain Palestinians as refugees would mark a shift in longstanding U.S. government policy and practice. Since its inception in 1980, the U.S. refugee program has not resettled Palestinians in large numbers.

Over the past decade, the U.S. has resettled more than 400,000 refugees fleeing violence and war across the globe. Fewer than 600 were Palestinian. In fiscal year 2023, the U.S. welcomed 56 Palestinian refugees, or 0.09% of the more than 60,000 refugees resettled during those 12 months, State Department statistics show.

While many Democrats would likely support the move, admitting Palestinians as refugees could spur even more political challenges for the Biden administration related to the Israel-Hamas war. The conflict has already exposed rifts within the Democratic Party, triggered massive protests on college campuses and divided communities across America.

To qualify to enter the U.S. as a refugee, applicants have to prove they are fleeing persecution based on certain factors, such as their nationality, religion or political views. While some Palestinians could say they are fleeing repression by Hamas, others could identify the military and government of Israel, a top U.S. ally and recipient of American aid, as a persecutor.

The resettlement of Palestinian refugees, even if small in scale, could also garner criticism from Republicans, who have sought to make concerns about immigration and illegal crossings at the U.S.-Mexico border defining issues in November's elections.

Soon after the Oct. 7 attacks by Hamas and the start of Israel's offensive in Gaza, leading Republicans, including presidential candidates, said the U.S. should not welcome Palestinian refugees, claiming that they are antisemitic and potential national security risks.

In recent years, the Biden administration has dramatically increased refugee resettlement, which was slashed to record lows by former President Donald Trump. U.S. officials have set a goal of admitting up to 125,000 refugees in fiscal year 2024, which ends at the end of September.

Camilo Montoya-Galvez

biden is trying to become the tsar nicholas of the american empire

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
she’s asking the nypd to occupy the campus until May 17

https://x.com/pefrase/status/1785488595689640299?s=46

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Thankfully NYPD got plenty of training from the IDF on how to violently occupy a place where they're not welcome.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1784319232475357220

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:aochloe:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9-6MgMNuTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum