Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Somebody must have had a friend at the Pentagon, because they managed to get the Army to run trials back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/fab_hinz/status/1785031044120326325

axis of resistance be drone-pilled and tunnel-maxxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSzoLCCX-Y&t=251s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

doesnt every country have underground infrastructure?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Precision Shoulder-fired Rocket Launcher-1 also known as the (PSRL-1) is a modified American copy of the Soviet/Russian RPG-7 shoulder-fired rocket-propelled grenade launcher developed by AirTronic USA. The PSRL-1 is primarily manufactured for US-allied nations who are accustomed to Soviet-style weapons and international export.

Piece price?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Real hurthling! posted:

doesnt every country have underground infrastructure?

No you don’t understand. When we do it, we’re strategic and farsighted making awesome techno-citadels like the vaults from Fallout and it’s a sign of our technological expertise. When they do it, it’s because they’re dishonorable cowards digging hovels in the dirt with their bare hands to hide from our noble air strikes. Think the intro to the Hobbit where Tolkien describes the difference between Hobbit holes and other types of holes.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Justin Tyme posted:

The soviets already had a magnified sight for the rpg and there's probably $50 rail adapters out there you could bolt a thermal sight to. They're just using cots pulsar scopes without custom reticles, talk about a grift!

Lmfao it even weighs as much as a bog standard rpg7!

bespoked influencer premium consumer warfare

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the premium warfighter and prolitia consumer remain strong

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I started reading a new book yesterday: "How the War was Won: Air-Sea Power and Allied Victory in World War II", by Phillips Payson O'Brien

the next bit is going to be a very long excerpt, but bear with me, because I promise there is a point.

I could just be reading too much into it, but the following passage, to me, belies a deep-seated insecurity about the narrative of World War 2. Inasmuch as the author tries to say that, no, the book is not about minimizing the contributions of the Soviet Union and the fighting on the Eastern Front, they go on at length about how it would be entirely justified in doing so. Indeed, the entire framing of the book is to explore the idea that air and naval campaigns did more to damage Axis warfighting capability than land battles did - that you couldn't say that "80 percent of the “combat” in the European war occurred on the Eastern Front" if you were to recalibrate your perspective to include the strategic bombing campaigns and the Battle of the Atlantic

this book was written in 2015, and it's pushing back against historical consensus that persisted through the 1990s and into the early 2000s, but I think that this quiet seething against the Eastern Front narrative, so to speak, has persisted ever since, and is part of why we're getting the kind of discourse that we're engaged in today, where there's much more direct denialism about the USSR's role in World War II in favor of pushing a hard line on Lend-Lease. It's no longer that the Allies pulled their fair share of the fighting, but also that the USSR couldn't even have won without Allied assistance.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Hmm let me look up the PLAN building programme compared to the USN…

ruh roh

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/mercoglianos/status/1785475607310049692

building infrastructure in the us is the domain of the sacred techpriests who create jobs not for mere mortals

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's also really funny because the Pacfic war was basically won entirely by the US with some help from the British! If you want to pump yourself up just look at that! But no gotta also tear down the Soviets

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

this book was written in 2015, and it's pushing back against historical consensus that persisted through the 1990s and into the early 2000s, but I think that this quiet seething against the Eastern Front narrative, so to speak, has persisted ever since, and is part of why we're getting the kind of discourse that we're engaged in today, where there's much more direct denialism about the USSR's role in World War II in favor of pushing a hard line on Lend-Lease. It's no longer that the Allies pulled their fair share of the fighting, but also that the USSR couldn't even have won without Allied assistance.

this book is also wrong because the basis of material production is manpower and the soviet union is where the nazis went to die. if there are two million more germans in western europe in 1945 there are no landings in italy or france, there is no western war effort at all.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Boxer Rudder with Divers is a weird rear end ship name, but still better than all those that are just a dude’s full name

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

losing 10% of your yearly AFV output in a single battle seems like a big deal to me but what do i know

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Battle of Kursk, famous for only being the first 10 days of the 2 month conflict. Wonder how the other 1,000 tanks were lost in July and August?

Also it's interesting that across the 2 months of Kursk they only lost 10% of production. I'm assuming they just stockpiled the difference. Also the production for the other 10 months when there wasn't a famous Armoured battle on, that must have been stockpiled too.

The smart nazi keeps their tanks in the warehouse so the perfidious soviet can't destroy them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I started reading a new book yesterday: "How the War was Won: Air-Sea Power and Allied Victory in World War II", by Phillips Payson O'Brien

the next bit is going to be a very long excerpt, but bear with me, because I promise there is a point.

I could just be reading too much into it, but the following passage, to me, belies a deep-seated insecurity about the narrative of World War 2. Inasmuch as the author tries to say that, no, the book is not about minimizing the contributions of the Soviet Union and the fighting on the Eastern Front, they go on at length about how it would be entirely justified in doing so. Indeed, the entire framing of the book is to explore the idea that air and naval campaigns did more to damage Axis warfighting capability than land battles did - that you couldn't say that "80 percent of the “combat” in the European war occurred on the Eastern Front" if you were to recalibrate your perspective to include the strategic bombing campaigns and the Battle of the Atlantic

"What happened in the great land battles made almost no difference in the air-sea war"

I would strongly dispute that in the Pacific. The whole point of taking the various islands was to use them for forward air and naval bases and deny their use of the same to Japan. Most of the island battles wouldn't have had much point otherwise.

Anyway whenever I read these "what really won WW2" arguments I almost always agree with them in the sense that it was all of these things and their effects on each other that won the war. The eastern front carrying the biggest load is indisputable but if Russia had been alone in fighting Germany or without lend-lease it probably wouldn't have won and vice versa. At the very least Germany might have still lost but without an unconditional surrender. I think his argument for the importance of the air/sea fight is much more applicable to the Pacific than Europe though.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It’s a very sneaky framing that plays off the idea that land wars should be decided by a single battle like Sedan or something, which is ridiculous.

In the air, the Schweinfurt raids were supposed to be that “knockout blow”, and we all know how that went, and the Allies never brought the Kriegsmarine or Regia Marina to decisive battle.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i mean hell just by looking at non-combat loses you could argue the germans defeated themselves. something like half of all bf-109 non-combat loses were just from landings because the landing gear was was appropriate for a lighter plane and snapped

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

That’s a small part of it, the lack of pilot instructors and aviation fuel for training is what caused the accident rate to shoot up, as German trainees got almost no flight time.

Additionally, the joint RAF-USAAF campaign to loiter around German airfields with fighter bombers in 1945 caused them to turn off their landing lights and for pilots to rush their approaches. A ridiculous amount of Me-262 losses were on landing, either from Jabos, or fear of Jabos causing pilots to gently caress up their landings in a plane where moving the throttle too rapidly caused the engines to explode.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Towards the end japanese pilots had like two weeks of training never having shot their weapons or done a carrier landing. Also surprising to find out how many kamikaze pilots were university students who were not at all fanatics, didn't really support the war, and wanted a western style democracy but volunteered anyway.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Vote Bonzai No Matter Who

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's his opinion on the Normandy campaign? If he's consistent then he should also dismiss it as a giant waste of resources that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

where moving the throttle too rapidly caused the engines to explode.

I learned that from flying the 262 in IL-2

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh this totally reads like the guy wants to make the "Well actually the US won the war l" argument but knows that the Lend Lease argument isn't gonna fly, so he chocks it up to strategic bombing

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

D-Pad posted:

"What happened in the great land battles made almost no difference in the air-sea war"

I would strongly dispute that in the Pacific. The whole point of taking the various islands was to use them for forward air and naval bases and deny their use of the same to Japan. Most of the island battles wouldn't have had much point otherwise.

Anyway whenever I read these "what really won WW2" arguments I almost always agree with them in the sense that it was all of these things and their effects on each other that won the war. The eastern front carrying the biggest load is indisputable but if Russia had been alone in fighting Germany or without lend-lease it probably wouldn't have won and vice versa. At the very least Germany might have still lost but without an unconditional surrender. I think his argument for the importance of the air/sea fight is much more applicable to the Pacific than Europe though.

The point of how much of war production went to air war maybe makes the other case for the efficacy of strategic bombing. Even if the US/UK strategic bombing campaign wasn't hitting the targets in the way they claimed, that the Germans believed it to be a threat and devoted 50% of their war production to the Air Force means that same production wasn't going to the land war against the USSR.

The other larger issue in land war is to take and hold things. Looking at the war from a resource perspective, it was fought by the Axis who had very little oil, against the Allies who had shitloads of it. The Pacific war against the US was precipitated by the US embargoing oil, and the first thing they did after Pearl was make a beeline to the DEI and the oil there.

Same deal on the Eastern Front. When the initial drive to Moscow stalled and it looked like the USSR wasn't going to totter and fall apart, the second year goal was Baku and oil. Once Baku was defended, the war was decided.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I mean the luftwaffe was a key component of German tactical strategy, so it makes sense to spend lots on it. what would make his argument stronger is if he analyzed the amount of production dedicated to anti-air equipment

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

What's his opinion on the Normandy campaign? If he's consistent then he should also dismiss it as a giant waste of resources that could have been better spent elsewhere.

I haven't seen a mention of Overlord yet (I'm only on chapter 1 after the Introduction) but to be fair he does call out the Italian campaign as a giant waste of resources that could have been better spent elsewhere

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
just sail your battleships to berlin and win the war, bing bong so simple

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Proust Malone posted:

The other larger issue in land war is to take and hold things. Looking at the war from a resource perspective, it was fought by the Axis who had very little oil, against the Allies who had shitloads of it. The Pacific war against the US was precipitated by the US embargoing oil, and the first thing they did after Pearl was make a beeline to the DEI and the oil there.

Same deal on the Eastern Front. When the initial drive to Moscow stalled and it looked like the USSR wasn't going to totter and fall apart, the second year goal was Baku and oil. Once Baku was defended, the war was decided.

In Wages of Destruction, Adam Tooze hammers again and again how starved for oil,coal,food and steel Germany was, and how that determined their strategic moves in the war. Saying that land battles were fought over places of no great strategic importance is insane when food rations were getting cut and the whole Werhmacht was infighting over who gets the bigger steel rations.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Kinda interesting to see what percentage of annual missile production was spent on Operation Prosperity Guardian, and compare that to the percentage of annual production lost in those big battles in WW2.

I wonder what the author thinks of Operation Prosperity Guardian and Yemen.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Votskomit posted:

Kinda interesting to see what percentage of annual missile production was spent on Operation Prosperity Guardian, and compare that to the percentage of annual production lost in those big battles in WW2.

I wonder what the author thinks of Operation Prosperity Guardian and Yemen.

completely failing to stop the enemy stated objectives, and unable to outlast them while vastly outspending them at it is actually winning, because

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
look, when you compare the amount of money that the us mic made compared to the money that the yemeni and iranian weapons manufacturers made on prosperity guardian you can clearly see that america's number is far higher

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

this book is also wrong because the basis of material production is manpower and the soviet union is where the nazis went to die. if there are two million more germans in western europe in 1945 there are no landings in italy or france, there is no western war effort at all.

The book is right insofar that the effort expended at countering the air campaign, in the form of anti air guns and emplacements, crews, figher bases, fighters, crew, ammunitions and so on was all manpower and productive effort (raw materials, factory capacity, factory manpower) that was allocated away from supporting the front. So even an ineffective strategic air campaign might have induced an outsized response which still made an impact.

But then you'd have to quantify exactly how large that impact was, and it'd also help to figure out whether it is this response which rendered the strategic air campaign ineffective (and thus was a necessary cost imposed by said campaign) or if it was an overreaction and thus more a case of getting lucky that the enemy made a mistake.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

The book is right insofar that the effort expended at countering the air campaign, in the form of anti air guns and emplacements, crews, figher bases, fighters, crew, ammunitions and so on was all manpower and productive effort (raw materials, factory capacity, factory manpower) that was allocated away from supporting the front. So even an ineffective strategic air campaign might have induced an outsized response which still made an impact.

But then you'd have to quantify exactly how large that impact was, and it'd also help to figure out whether it is this response which rendered the strategic air campaign ineffective (and thus was a necessary cost imposed by said campaign) or if it was an overreaction and thus more a case of getting lucky that the enemy made a mistake.

The question is if you start discounting the situation on the Eastern Front up to mid-1943 because they have to relocate some AD. I really don't think you can.

The war was won or lost in the East and everything else including the Pacific theatre was largely a sideshow. The Brits just can't handle it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I don't disagree. I'm just outlining the argument someone could make, and would then have to back up with numbers, and would then have to juxtapose to the overall war effort to determine how significant it was.

I suspect if you did so you'd still end up proving that the bulk of the effort was in the East, and thus so too was the bulk of the effort in defeating the Nazis. But I don't have those numbers and I'm not going to do all that work.

I also wouldn't be surprised if "the big well-known battles" end up representing a surprisingly small part of the overall effort. But then I would expect that the general daily attrition over a front near a thousand miles long and lasting for nearly 4 years is going to end up representing a (surprisingly?) large part of the effort.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 11:48 on May 1, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
those brits

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

I learned that from flying the 262 in IL-2

1946 was such a good game lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

It does seem to be a persistent thing in both British and American historiography.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
oh yeah we're all complete trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

I haven't seen a mention of Overlord yet (I'm only on chapter 1 after the Introduction) but to be fair he does call out the Italian campaign as a giant waste of resources that could have been better spent elsewhere

That cuts against his own point as the Regia Marina was a far greater threat to the Allies than the Kriegsmarine, and taking it out of the war freed up huge amounts of resources.