Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Checkered Deck might be the strongest in gold stake right now, getting the extra hand size back and blue seals being really strong have made flushes actually doable.

Going for that for now for the last three stickers, unfortunately the only one I saw today was a rental glass joker that I wasn't strong enough to take with Magic Deck (I still took it, I just died immediately)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I still haven't figured out how people reduce their deck to one value and suit without Vagabond.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

FPyat posted:

I still haven't figured out how people reduce their deck to one value and suit without Vagabond.

Get lots of money, aggressively reroll.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
One billion tarot cards. Also DNA to make more of the card you want and stuff like trading card for free destroys.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

FPyat posted:

Purple seals. Aggressively trying to get at least one in the deck from packs, spectrals, Certificate, however, and then duping him however possible. Normally I'll be flattening out the deck into two things, my target winning card(s) and whatever has the purple seal. My priority is initially the purples if I have a variety of winning hands (or just getting enough winners to easily find) and if the game goes on long enough the purples will naturally start to turn themselves into the winning ones.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 1, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I was determined to beat the gold stake before the new patch, and while I'm glad to say I finally did it, my god was that an ordeal. The other stakes weren't so bad, but that last little "gently caress you" of -1 hand size on top of everything else for some reason pushed things over the edge. I think about 70% of my Balatro playtime now has been spent trying to beat the gold stake.

Used the Plasma Deck and basically just amassed as much money as possible with To the Moon to buff Bull while also playing nonstop Four Finger straights to buff Runner. As you can see, I still would have died on the final boss's extra large blind if I hadn't saved a Luchador for it, and even after using it I only barely won. :stonklol:

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 1, 2024

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
In case anyone's wondering about the latest experimental patch:

localthunk posted:

- Changed square Joker to be more square
- Reverted a change to the rendering engine that may have been causing issues with some hardware
- Moved Perishable, Eternal, Rental stickers to the top left corner

Also, the experimental build is slated to go live sometime this week.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Alright just gotta get a Chicot win on gold stake and then do Jokerless

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

drat, how many hours is that

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

drat, how many hours is that

I leave the game up when I'm not playing so it's not accurate but definitely too many.

I can tell you it's been 84 complete gold stake runs (75 base, 9 experimental) and I kept a big spreadsheet with the jokers on each clear so I can do a breakdown of how many times each was part of a successful run.

Of those 84 complete runs, 54 were Ghost, 9 were Anaglyph, 5 were Yellow, 3 were Checkered, 2 were Zodiac and Magic, and the other 9 were one and done.

I got at least one new sticker in 61 of the first 62 runs, and then it got tough to start finding things. Clears 76 through 82 added 0 stickers while just looking for Glass Joker, Chicot, and Perkeo.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Checkered Deck might be the strongest in gold stake right now, getting the extra hand size back and blue seals being really strong have made flushes actually doable.

This is absolutely not the case, I just had two good back to back runs. Yellow is best now imo since getting your economy going is so much more important than pre-experimental update.

FPyat posted:

Also Perkeo is absolutely cracked for this, here's what my deck looked like on my clear with him (Odd Todd was my only chip source for a hot minute):

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 1, 2024

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Power of Pecota posted:

I can tell you it's been 84 complete gold stake runs (75 base, 9 experimental) and I kept a big spreadsheet with the jokers on each clear so I can do a breakdown of how many times each was part of a successful run.

I suppose the new perishable and rental tags would make it crowded, but I don't know why it's not at least an option to show the sticker you've got on each joker in the game itself, so Completionist++ hunters don't have to resort to spreadsheets.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Why do some screenshots have that gross blue club?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

tinstaach posted:

I suppose the new perishable and rental tags would make it crowded, but I don't know why it's not at least an option to show the sticker you've got on each joker in the game itself, so Completionist++ hunters don't have to resort to spreadsheets.

You can always go Escape > Collection > Jokers and check if you're unsure, I got burned a few times (I know once on Rocket) before I started doing that more midrun.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why do some screenshots have that gross blue club?

it's the high contrast cards option to help distinguish spades from clubs and hearts from diamonds at a quick glance

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Color Printer posted:

it's the high contrast cards option to help distinguish spades from clubs and hearts from diamonds at a quick glance

I personally played a holographic club thinking it was a spade once without it, zero confusion since then.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Probably 100 hours into this and it took Shoot the Moon (queens in hand) and Baron (kings in hand) to realize that held cards resolve left to right the same way jokers do. Just sitting there with a confused dog head tilt as I slowly dragged my kings to the right.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Color Printer posted:

I want an option to turn the diamonds red

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

85 completed gold stake runs and I've got Completionist++! Chicot was the last one to cross off.

For most commonly used jokers:

20+: Supernova, Stuntman (da goat), Blackboard
15-19: Square Joker, Hologram, Vampire, Green Joker
10-14: Blue Joker, Card Sharp, Ride the Bus, Abstract Joker, Baseball Card

Glad to answer any questions~

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

tarot pack me gave my first legendary joker and the very next mega buffoon pack gave me two jokers that synergize amazingly with it

update: game just wants me to win

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 1, 2024

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

C H A O S

e: deck stake win progress report: first purple stake win with plasma, and getting green deck up to green stake and red deck up to red stake. Been bashing my head against getting blue deck to blue stake for a while, and :lol: if you think I'm working on getting black deck to black stake any time soon.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 1, 2024

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Just wanted to say the 1st page was incredibly helpful. Could never get past the 6th ante, got to the eighth with repositioning cards and jokers. That 1st win is close!!

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Power of Pecota posted:

Your top used jokers really surprise me, a lot of them are most often low priority/easily replaced for me (Supernova, Blackboard, Square, Bus, Abstract is a last resort but probably I do take it a fair bit, Baseball I've worked with a few times but not leaning into it as a priority). Fortune Teller for instance I would definitely have used in winning runs more than possibly most of yours combined (I've got a few decks left to Gold and just over 40% joker stickers).

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Finally took Blue deck to Gold stake :toot:

Shoutout to Hanging Chad (eventually 2xChad) for being a goated joker and juicing the hell outta Wee Joker

Which allowed me to take this into Ante 11

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chadzok posted:

Your top used jokers really surprise me, a lot of them are most often low priority/easily replaced for me (Supernova, Blackboard, Square, Bus, Abstract is a last resort but probably I do take it a fair bit, Baseball I've worked with a few times but not leaning into it as a priority). Fortune Teller for instance I would definitely have used in winning runs more than possibly most of yours combined (I've got a few decks left to Gold and just over 40% joker stickers).

Supernova is one that I dislike because it could get screwed over in some ways (if you're planning on pivoting into another hand or moving from flush to flush fives, for example) but if you get it early it can be really good in a long run.

Baseball Card is almost always an auto-pickup for me. If you've got at least 2 uncommons I would say it is worth it.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Power of Pecota posted:

85 completed gold stake runs and I've got Completionist++! Chicot was the last one to cross off.

I’m genuinely impressed by how quickly you pulled this off. I’m pretty sure once you 100% the game, the developer is required to come to your house.

You were also smart to save Jokerless for last because grinding through that bullshit completely burned me out on Balatro.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I expected jokerless was going to be hard, me and a mate committed to streaming our attempts and we both beat it within an hour by going all in on aces and combining steels and glass. It thought it was actually pretty fun and hoping for an Oops! All Challenges DLC

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Power of Pecota posted:

Lot of stuff happening this page, so congrats to everybody, but double congrats on this. I've been slacking on climbing the ladder since I've been distracted by other things, but this is encouraging me to get back towards it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Chadzok posted:

Have you been playing primarily on gold stake pre-experimental? If I wasn't, some of those definitely wouldn't be there.

The most common structure for a build I used would be one big chip card, one big flat mult card, and as much xMult as I could get, with the Polychrome from the starting Hex in Ghost deck taking one of those.

- Stuntman, Square Joker (if you get it before like ante 4), and Blue Joker were all good to good enough for the first piece
- Supernova (either with high cards or pairs depending on how you're looking on chips) and an early Green Joker/Ride the Bus are good enough for the second
- Abstract is just good, although you need either really good xMult or a few negative jokers for it to be enough flat mult
- Blackboard (especially in conjunction with Ectoplasm or Stuntman) is really easy to trigger if you're playing high card/pair and x3 is a lot of xMult
- Baseball Card makes random uncommons xMult cards and can make something like Blackboard go bonkers - I also think it's just fun

Also all of those that you listed besides Blackboard and Baseball Card are commons that were really good targets for Hex using Ghost Deck

Post experimental patch, Fortune Teller got WAY better without the scaling pack costs, I only had it at the end of 2/75 runs beforehand (always with the tarot voucher) and since it's been in 3/10

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Detheros posted:

Shoutout to Hanging Chad (eventually 2xChad) for being a goated joker and juicing the hell outta Wee Joker

I didn't have new Hanging Chad for this but this was my biggest Wee Joker, congrats on topping it!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Zetsubou-san posted:

tarot pack me gave my first legendary joker

Holy gently caress, didn't know this existed. this card + "Every card is considered a face card" would slay.

Every time I open this thread, I open Balatro thereafter. Off I go!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ride the bus owns and carried me on a gold stake win even with a reset about halfway through the run

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Counter point, ride the bus killed me yesterday. Balatro is a land of contrasts

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

One important Ride the Bus thing - you can play face cards, they just can’t score or it’ll reset. With like Square Joker high card, Ace/King/Queen/Jack keeps it running and effectively discards three dead cards

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Me when I get Ride the Bus

https://youtu.be/12Q_MrT2njc?si=KguZqc29u3LIUXXE

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Power of Pecota posted:

I am in awe(tism)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Ghost deck. Madness in first ante. Polychrome it. Convert vast majority of cards to hearts. Get flush to Level 11. No boss reroll vouchers to be seen. Madness going into final boss? 11.5x. Final boss? Verdant Leaf.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 1, 2024

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Finally got to Ante 8 with golden Needle - had a deck that was just scraping by with Acrobat, and with Onyx Agate and Walkie talkie.

Then last blind is Violet Vessel lol.

BUT WAIT, in the very last shop I got throwback for 2.75x mult and got two more glass cards together. Got my club flush with the only two glass cards in the deck on the last discard and beat it by 3000 points. Thank gently caress that one is over. Now just Jokerless uuurgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Power of Pecota posted:

Were you using yellow deck for all of your runs or were there any other decks you thought were consistently strong at gold stake?