Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Truspeaker posted:

The montage at the beginning of season 2 of The Good Place was one of my favorite TV watching moments ever. Going in I thought them having to figure it out all over again was going to be the whole season. Seeing all those potential storylines turned into quick jokes, particularly the one where Jason figures it out, was a constant series of delights.

I was really impressed with the way the show just completely sped up the plot past what could have been tens of seasons of another show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was ready to give up on The Good Place season 1 because I thought they were spinning their tires and repeating the same joke over and over. I'm so glad I stuck it through.

After season 2 began, we were talking to my parents and recommended it. In some weird Boomer logic, they started with the premiere episode of season 2 and were very confused. Had to wait until years later for them to try again, once they forgot what they had watched.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mulva posted:

Why the hell not, you are dead. You don't have biology, and psychology in human terms is based on absolutes that heaven doesn't work on. You could just craft one perfect moment and live in it forever, it's functionally the same thing as the solution they came up with. Done is done, why is the done where you don't exist better than the done where you are eternally happy? Both are artificial constructs. Both have no intrinsic meaning. One exists to make a point about living, but the dead are definitionally not living. Why should they hold themselves to standards on how to live life that no longer apply?

Okay so you can do that in the Good Place.

If your complaint is about the show examining the afterlife from the perspective of a human consciousness (which is, normally a combination of your body and the others in it, but souls/afterlife-whatever generally take that consciousness and let it exist and think outside the body as if it had everything it needed) instead of some alien abstract things that nobody watching could relate to or find much value in besides going "oh trippy," then this show is weird place to pick that bone.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I don't have a complaint, it's a great show no notes. People were talking about it, and also the ending. And it is a kind of stupid ending because they have to sort of force in a conflict that does not exist to stay true to their moral philosophy roots. But it was always that sort of show, and they stuck the emotional core pretty well so I don't care. But it's absolutely an issue I've seen a bunch of people slam into.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I actually only watched The Good Place originally because I (intentionally) read the spoiler about the first season, and thought it was interesting enough that I wanted to see how it played out. I don't know how different my experience would have been the other way, but I found it added a different sort of tension that I really enjoyed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was a jaw dropping twist I did not see coming in a sitcom, I’m sorry you didn’t get to enjoy that but glad it inspired you to watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it's really fun to experience the first time around, and then to immediately rewatch in a completely different context.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Truspeaker posted:

The montage at the beginning of season 2 of The Good Place was one of my favorite TV watching moments ever. Going in I thought them having to figure it out all over again was going to be the whole season. Seeing all those potential storylines turned into quick jokes, particularly the one where Jason figures it out, was a constant series of delights.

That one scene where there’s a clown standing on a turntable slowly rotating in a weird room and they’re all watching through a little round window :lol: wtf

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Her line read while holding the balloons makes me cackle

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mistermojo posted:

the first few episodes of Ripley were great but its really ground to a halt after the boat. and none of the characters have any chemistry with each other

I felt the exact same way

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I love The Good Place and am enjoying that it's still a topic of discussion in this thread based off talking about Timothy Olyphant. I wanted to add that I had to rewatch the final scene of Season 1 over multiple times because it was so good and then did the same thing during the Season 2 opener montage because that was even better. I also had to pause the show during the trolley problem episode because I was laughing too hard to continue. I also wanted to mention that Timothy Olyphant was the titular Hitman in the Hitman movie and folks, including him, thought it was the end of his career. So if you think basing an opinion of the man off of Die Hard 4 is bad, imagine if that opinion came from watching Hitman.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Truspeaker posted:

I rewatch that episode all the time. Michael's face contorting into shocked anger as Jason slowly works it out is even funnier than his line right after imo

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

DaveKap posted:

I love The Good Place and am enjoying that it's still a topic of discussion in this thread based off talking about Timothy Olyphant. I wanted to add that I had to rewatch the final scene of Season 1 over multiple times because it was so good and then did the same thing during the Season 2 opener montage because that was even better. I also had to pause the show during the trolley problem episode because I was laughing too hard to continue. I also wanted to mention that Timothy Olyphant was the titular Hitman in the Hitman movie and folks, including him, thought it was the end of his career. So if you think basing an opinion of the man off of Die Hard 4 is bad, imagine if that opinion came from watching Hitman.

They should try to make a Hitman movie again, but maybe this time one that doesn't suck.

It doesn't need the whole bullshit cloning backstory. Just make a Hitman branded version of The Killer with a bit more humor

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

theflyingexecutive posted:

I rewatch that episode all the time. Michael's face contorting into shocked anger as Jason slowly works it out is even funnier than his line right after imo

It truly was a prank show

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

EricBauman posted:

They should try to make a Hitman movie again, but maybe this time one that doesn't suck.

It doesn't need the whole bullshit cloning backstory. Just make a Hitman branded version of The Killer with a bit more humor

The only way to make a Hitman movie is to focus only on the targets and how awful they are and how they suddenly die in ridiculous and elaborate ways while a bald maintenance man walks away nonchalantly in the background.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stare-Out posted:

The only way to make a Hitman movie is to focus only on the targets and how awful they are and how they suddenly die in ridiculous and elaborate ways while a bald maintenance man walks away nonchalantly in the background.

I kind of liked in the earlier games where you'd kill people for money, like a hitman, and they weren't necessarily evil monsters that deserved it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

IRQ posted:

I kind of liked in the earlier games where you'd kill people for money, like a hitman, and they weren't necessarily evil monsters that deserved it.

I only jumped on board with the second one but it felt like every target was super dodgy in some way, various Mafia/Yakuza types, followed by Triad dudes, nuclear terrorists, and a paedo in Contracts. Probably the least harmful was the hacker guy in the Petronas towers. I felt bad for him, the dude just wanted his pizza...

:smith:

Were there any jobs that were just Regular Joes that absolutely didn't deserve it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a guy in Blood Money who's an ex-mob boss in witness protection, that's about as close as you'll get

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Escobarbarian posted:

My radar for someone mentioning spectacularly underrated 1999 movie “Go” just went off

I love that movie so much, and Olyphant's character is ridiculous in a delightful way.

"It's all right! I'm okay!"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1785701127024992479?s=46

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Why?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Because the producers of it have a mega hit on Amazon with Invincible.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So the producers are sick of the job and wanted to go out with a wet thud.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Khanstant posted:

So the producers are sick of the job and wanted to go out with a wet thud.

At the rate Invincible is released, they have time to make dozens of things the same relative quality as Sausage Party.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I've always been curious about The Good Place, but I know the season 1 twist. And while that makes me more curious about season 2 and on, it makes me think it will make season 1 a bit of a slog, knowing how it ends, and I would just have to push through it, knowing it's ultimately just bullshit.

Is season 1 still good in its own right, even if you know the twist? If it is, I feel like I'd start it soon.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

thrawn527 posted:

I've always been curious about The Good Place, but I know the season 1 twist. And while that makes me more curious about season 2 and on, it makes me think it will make season 1 a bit of a slog, knowing how it ends, and I would just have to push through it, knowing it's ultimately just bullshit.

Is season 1 still good in its own right, even if you know the twist? If it is, I feel like I'd start it soon.

I knew the twist going into season 1 and still enjoyed it. Knowing the twist just turns it into a different watching experience. Also, each season is 13 episodes - so about five hours long in total.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I'm sorry you know the twist already, but watching S1 while knowing the twist is also a great experience.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cool, I think I'll actually fire it up now. Knowing each season is only 13 episodes helps. Thanks!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I once heard someone say about The Good Place that every single episode feels like it simply must be the series finale, like, they couldn't possibly continue telling a story after (insert plot point), right?? And I think that really sums up what I liked so much about it. Not only did they always find a way to extend the story, but it never felt forced. And when they did finally end the series, that didn't feel rushed or poorly thought out, either.

That and the fact that it was very funny, of course.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Honestly, the first half of season 4 felt like the weakest part of the show to me. But I was also watching it weekly at that time. So a couple weaker episodes in a row felt a lot rougher. I bet it fares a lot better now.

But yeah, being that each season is 13 episodes means that the entire series is about 20 hours long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched the season 1 finale of The Good Place again to experience it again, and then accidentally watched three episodes of season 2 because the show is so good. I might do a rewatch this summer.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mordiceius posted:

Honestly, the first half of season 4 felt like the weakest part of the show to me. But I was also watching it weekly at that time. So a couple weaker episodes in a row felt a lot rougher. I bet it fares a lot better now.

But yeah, being that each season is 13 episodes means that the entire series is about 20 hours long.
Echoing this sentiment because, if I recall correctly, that particular half of a season was the one that grounds the entire series premise and, of anything, grounding the premise is the worst thing you could do to the show. That said, I was also a weekly watcher when that hit and boy did it feel like a slog. On the positive side, it's The Good Place, so there was always a couple great bits thrown in to make it still worth watching.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

You were all right, I just burned through the first 3 episodes of season 1, and it completely works even if you know the twist. You just see it for what it actually is, and all the torture they're being put through.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Echoing this sentiment because, if I recall correctly, that particular half of a season was the one that grounds the entire series premise and, of anything, grounding the premise is the worst thing you could do to the show. That said, I was also a weekly watcher when that hit and boy did it feel like a slog. On the positive side, it's The Good Place, so there was always a couple great bits thrown in to make it still worth watching.

Yeah the whole (Good Place S4 spoilers) "lets bring in other people and run experiments on them" felt like such a distraction to the journey of the show and felt like it went on for far loving too long as a weekly watcher. When you're able to cruise through all of those episodes in an afternoon, I bet it plays better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who binged the whole thing after it was done, I thought season 3 and 4 both spun their wheels quite a bit. The stuff with Maya Rudolph in particular was tedious.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Late season 3 does have one of the best jokes - with the episode "Chidi sees the time knife" - I remember there being so much speculation in the show's thread regarding that title and what it could all mean. Then it's just a single gag in the middle of the episode and has nothing to do with anything. "Yeah, the time knife, we've all seen it"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I find the dotted eye in the time-jeremyberimy satisfying useful to explain many timeline and time travel issues in other shows and movies. The way it makes unsense just works so perfectly for me to ground other impossibilities.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

thrawn527 posted:

You were all right, I just burned through the first 3 episodes of season 1, and it completely works even if you know the twist. You just see it for what it actually is, and all the torture they're being put through.

Yup. Watching it cold, all through S1 you're thinking (spoilers for what you've already seen) "Well, this vision of heaven seems weird and naďve and hosed-up in some way I can't quite put my finger on, I guess heaven just has issues and maybe angels don't really "get" humans and Michael is just kinda inept and maybe it's all subtle commentary on religion or morality that will be revealed later or something, oh well Eleanor has bigger poo poo to deal with at the moment

But if you know the twist it just means that uncomfortable background hum you feel the whole time has an explanation, and all the character stuff and acting and physical comedy is still top-drawer entertainment.

(below spoilers are for later)

Mordiceius posted:

Late season 3 does have one of the best jokes - with the episode "Chidi sees the time knife" - I remember there being so much speculation in the show's thread regarding that title and what it could all mean. Then it's just a single gag in the middle of the episode and has nothing to do with anything. "Yeah, the time knife, we've all seen it"

As I've said before my absolute favorite moment in the whole thing has got to be Janet imitating every other character for half an hour, including doing her impression of Eleanor doing her impression of Jason :lmao:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 2, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mulva posted:

Why the hell not, you are dead. You don't have biology, and psychology in human terms is based on absolutes that heaven doesn't work on. You could just craft one perfect moment and live in it forever, it's functionally the same thing as the solution they came up with. Done is done, why is the done where you don't exist better than the done where you are eternally happy? Both are artificial constructs. Both have no intrinsic meaning. One exists to make a point about living, but the dead are definitionally not living. Why should they hold themselves to standards on how to live life that no longer apply?

This is kinda what I'm getting at just generally. The rules are different now, why are you still being humans?
Okay yes it's because without it there's no show but that's still a question you've created yourselves by making this show in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nobody knows anything about being anything else and it's not all that interesting to think about how things might be if you weren't dead and also were not capable of having thoughts, thoughts like " I wonder what it would be like to be something else and why didn't this TV show explore this thing nobody knows about."