Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

BrigadierSensible posted:

a loud and clear "Pardon me" preceding your flatulence

this is loving hilarious. they taught you to say "pardon me" real loud and then fart???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
With a British accent and a hand gesture.

Or you could go with French and say "Bon appetit" first.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

InediblePenguin posted:

this is loving hilarious. they taught you to say "pardon me" real loud and then fart???

That sounds like something my dad would teach us kids to annoy everyone else.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Troublemaker posted:

WIBTA if I named my baby the name I want to despite everyone hating it?

I actually love this name. It was on my short list of baby names, but was too rhymey with my last name.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Mouthy MIL boldly walks into a trap, is shocked-pikachu when DIL doesn't bail her out

AITA for dropping my daughter of at my MIL's house and not picking her up when requested?

quote:

My daughter, Tamra, (14) has been going through a terrible phase at home. I (F38) can do nothing right. All she does is argue with me and scream. She will not do her chores and she makes life harder for me and her little brother (12). I was 14 once so I remember what it was like to be that age. I am doing my best to just get her through this. I may not always do the best job or keep my cool with her but I am trying.

My husband is out of town right now. His mom however lives a couple of towns over and has decided to chime in. Tamra called her when I grounded her for skipping school and vaping weed with her degen friends. I took away all her screen privileges except her laptop which she needs for school. I am a dummy because she called her grandmother on it.

My MIL Helen is usually a levelheaded woman so I have no idea why she has decided that her parenting advice is wanted or warranted at this time. She said that I am being cruel to her poor baby girl and that I should not be trying to control her like this. I said that I was punishing my daughter for unacceptable behavior and that how I reprimanded my child was not her problem. She countered with the fact that she raised four children, all boys by the way, that she did not have to punish this way. I know her youngest was out of the house before smartphones so it is different.

My daughter came into the room while I was talking to Helen and started screaming about what a terrible person I am and that she wants to move out as soon as she can. Helen said that none of her kids ever said that so she must be a better mother. I asked her if she was serious and wanted to give it a shot. Tamra jumped at the opportunity and begged her grandmother to take her. Helen agreed. I drove her to Helen's house and said I would come back when my husband gets home and we can talk.

I dropped her off on Saturday, three days ago. Helen started calling me on Sunday. I need to come get my daughter. Sorry I can't my son and I went to visit my folks for the week. I thought it would be a good opportunity to see my parents at their farm since my daughter hates it there away from her friends and the city. My parents are also the last people on earth with dial up internet. My son does not care because he gets to play with the horses. It is a little early yet for foals but who knows.

Helen asked me to please come get Tamra. She even called my husband. He called me and I told him what was going on. He said that if his mom had asked for it then she needed to follow through. I love that guy. I also fielded calls from my two sisters in law. They asked me what was going on. So I told them. They asked if I was really going to leave Tamra with our MIL for another week. I said that is where she was staying unless they wanted to watch her. They both noped out without suggesting I go get her.

Tamra and Helen each have their reasons for thinking I am an rear end in a top hat. I do not think my daughter is.
Less than 24 hours to go from "I'll show my stupid useless DIL how to properly raise a kid" to "help help please pick up your awful kid she is driving me insane", impressive. Good on the husband for backing his wife against his mother.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

degen as short for degenerate just isn't working for me

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

beating around the bush and not just saying what you want does get real fuckin old after a while

yeah its annoying as hell, OP is right to say she just should say what se she wants like an adult

I get the sense shes getting a lot of cravings but doesnt want to sound like fatass so she wants her husband to "surprise" her instead of asking directly

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

FMguru posted:

quote:

her degen friends

Automatic YTA for calling people degenerates.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

vaping weed during school hours at 14 does sound pretty degenerate

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I think chicken-craving wife and busy husband are encountering the chasm of meaning between "ask culture" and "guess culture." Therapy might help them bridge the gap.

Or both could continue to sulk, that'll definitely fix things.

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009

Shanghaied posted:

Lewis Carroll didn't invent or popularise the name Alice though. One of Queen Victoria's daughters was named Alice, and that was decades before Alice in Wonderland was published. Carroll may have named Alice after the daughter of an Oxford colleague, whom he frequently photographed as a child.

Yeah but I'm not convinced the people in this story know that.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I think chicken-craving wife and busy husband are encountering the chasm of meaning between "ask culture" and "guess culture." Therapy might help them bridge the gap.

Or both could continue to sulk, that'll definitely fix things.

Should I get chicken today on my way home, or can this wait until tomorrow when we do our weekly shopping, please tell me.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

hawowanlawow posted:

degen as short for degenerate just isn't working for me

I heard it for the first time on the show Letterkenny. It's not great.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Shanghaied posted:

Gives just a peek into how her daughter ended up hanging out with the kids who bunk of school to vape weed.

NTA for the general situation with the MIL but there's a high chance there actually are problems with her parenting.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

Should I get chicken today on my way home, or can this wait until tomorrow when we do our weekly shopping, please tell me.

that would be crass and unbecoming :lofty:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

babypolis posted:

vaping weed during school hours at 14 does sound pretty degenerate

you being a teacher and calling kids degenerate paints bad picture

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shanghaied posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhD2mTxyUaE

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

when did degenerate become a no-no word?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's not a slur or anything, but it is a lovely boomer thing to say about a kid that young.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

hawowanlawow posted:

Fallout New Vegas release was 2010, so about then I'd say.

I'm only partially joking, I think there was some sort of direct line between Ceasers Legion and 4chan using the word as a catch all for "people I hate"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Fallout New Vegas release was 2010, so about then I'd say.

I'm only partially joking, I think there was some sort of direct line between Ceasers Legion and 4chan using the word as a catch all for "people I hate"

ngl NV is the first thing I think of when I hear it

same with profligate

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Shanghaied posted:

Should have called them reprobates.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
It's also a word used by the Nazis (e.g. modern art = "degenerate art"), and a lot of that poo poo made a comeback in the last eight years, for some reason.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Should have called them reprobates.

Miscreants, ne'er-do-wells

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Given the context, I think it's more likely that OP is Canadian and/or watched too much Letterkenny

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Degenerate became a loaded word when nazis said it to attack jewish people and other minorities. Most of the unironic uses of the word that I hear nowadays comes from neo-nazis using it to describe the LGBT or any other things they don't like.

I don't think op was using it in the nazi sense at all. But it is a lovely thing to say about teens.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

hawowanlawow posted:

EFB
Some far right types have tried to make it a dogwhistle for trans/queer/woke/whatever they don't like today.
I think the nazis used it a bit too.
Not that it's generally being banded about tbh.

I call some of my friends degenerates, perverts and deviants, but I mean it as a compliment.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i use pervert as an insult but NEVER for anything sexual

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Fuckin' pervert

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Yeah, degenerate has been used for a very long time, and in fact was used far more in the 1800s than the 1900s and 2000s (up to 2019, that's where the data google provides stops for word usage).

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=degenerate&year_start=1500&year_end=2019&corpus=en-2019&smoothing=3

Grain of salt and all that. I do remember seeing it a lot when I would read about Ancient Rome, as there were historians/writers/etc who tried to blame the entire collapse on "degenerates" even before Nazi's and their successors did.

Saying "degen" is a red flag for me, but not an automatic issue by itself. It's been used so much by bad actors that it is legitimately starting to leak into the mainstream again. It was by no means invented by internet neo-Nazis. Searching for it in the same Ngram source as above shows that it spiked far higher in the 1950s than it did in even 2019. Not saying that it isn't used as a dogwhistle, of course, just the opposite. It becoming more mainstream means that it is an easier dogwhistle to use in combination with other whistles.

Still a lovely thing to call your kids' friends, regardless. If you must pass judgement on them, just call them a bad influence and move on.

Also thanks for the reminder that I need to properly watch Letterkenny.

edit: I type slow, sorry to beat the dead horse.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Saying degen is almost as yikesaroo as the ok symbol

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

DemoneeHo posted:

Degenerate became a loaded word when nazis said it to attack jewish people and other minorities. Most of the unironic uses of the word that I hear nowadays comes from neo-nazis using it to describe the LGBT or any other things they don't like.

I don't think op was using it in the nazi sense at all. But it is a lovely thing to say about teens.

Oh I'd say it's before even that. It was the idea that certain groups of people, ahem, have declined from the human ideal, and that this decline has a biological basis and requires biological solutions. Kant and Lamarck was talking about this poo poo in the 18th century, and it's picked up 19th century eugenists like Galton.

It's certainly not reason enough to think that the OP is a Nazi, but it's also not a great thing to say. If this place can stop using the r-word, I think it's not unreasonable to expect people to not call others degenerates.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
They sound like decadent swine to me.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

AITA for suggesting we split chores differently?

quote:

Throwaway account bc my friends know my real one.

Me (23M) and my girlfriend (22F) got into it last night and I think our relationship is in a bad place now, based on her reaction to everything. I want to know if I’m the rear end in a top hat and should apologize (I have no problem doing that, if I was wrong) or if she is the rear end in a top hat by overreacting so intensely.

My gf and I live together and mostly split everything 50/50 in terms of household stuff. We also split finances 50/50 since we earn basically the same right now. I think I could get more opportunities at work if my mind was freed to focus more on dedicating myself and excelling at work. Right now there’s a limit with how much I can do with work because I have to come home to dishes, sometimes cook, do laundry, take care of our dog and other things.

It also doesn’t take my gf nearly as long to do some those things as it takes me. I gently suggested she temporarily takes on closer to 80-90% of the household chores for now so that I can focus on work more, and raise my income for both of us as a result, and she literally laughed. I told her I was serious and explained my plan to get promotions, earn more, and she can focus on other stuff so we can be more successful as a couple overall. She called me an rear end in a top hat and eventually even said I was being sexist which honestly pissed me off. If she disagrees that’s one thing, but don’t just call someone sexist for having an opinion or idea that’s not the same as yours, especially when I’m trying to look out for both of us as a couple.

The conversation went on for about 45 minutes before she said she needed space and left for her mom’s house. She hasn’t responded to my texts or calls and I just need to know if I should apologize or wait until she does.

I love that this guy's deeply offended at the idea that he's being sexist while he's literally trying to establish more stereotypical gender roles in his relationship for no good reason. It's just pure big brain logic that the woman is faster and better at chores while the man's career should be prioritized. (And surely the promotions will come rolling in if he can think about work for an extra hour or two a day.)

He's deleted a bunch of comments, but his example of being slower at chores was that he clears off the counters to wipe the entire surface, while she usually only cleans the front parts that get used more often. It's like he doesn't get the difference between deep cleaning and daily maintenance, which makes me wonder whether his girlfriend would agree that he does 50% in the first place.

It's also great that he thinks she's overreacting. I mean, all he did was say that getting more free time at her expense would be good for her.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I feel like I've seen a whole bunch of poo poo attributed to pregnancy hormones lately.

Shanghaied posted:

It's an evolutionary test, you see!
I feel like if it was normal for pregnancy hormones to cause a psychotic fugue, I'd have heard about it before now. Instead, over the past few weeks I've read a bunch of Reddit stories about how it's unreasonable to expect a pregnant woman not to e.g. knock you unconscious with a cast-iron pan.

By the by, if you have a partner who thinks that saying "I wish that..." is clear communication that they expect you to do something for them, nip that poo poo in the bud as fast as you can.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 1, 2024

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
I lived with someone who often sheepishly asks me "are you sure you don't want to [perform various menial tasks]?" when they want me to do something. But that was also kind of an in-joke between us.

Edit:

Would once.

Also can you work ice cream into it too?

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 1, 2024

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

deety posted:

AITA for suggesting we split chores differently?

quote:

I think I could get more opportunities at work if my mind was freed to focus more on dedicating myself and excelling at work. Right now there’s a limit with how much I can do with work because I have to come home to dishes, sometimes cook, do laundry, take care of our dog and other things.

Lmao welcome to adulthood, kid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Honey, if you took over 90% of the drudgework it would free enough time for me to really focus on getting corporate promotions (and not just smoking weed and playing video games).