Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

U-DO Burger posted:

I question the usefulness of the data you'd get by infecting people with OG Covid

Could give some data on PASC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

U-DO Burger posted:

I question the usefulness of the data you'd get by infecting people with OG Covid

It's incredibly super useful to make headlines that you can push everywhere. "We've finally achieved herd hybrid immunity! Nobody can get infected in a recent challenge study"

This to me is one of those study that is intentionally set up to fail to drive a narrative

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 16:35 on May 1, 2024

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pingui posted:

I think this is a good plan for Pfizer; sadly price gouging makes it pretty worthless from a public health standpoint, but at least rich people will have easy access :thumbsup:

Huh, feeling very conflicted on this.

I would very much like to go back to having a health care system where I can see actual doctors in less than 3-4 months and be able to trust their advice, instead of getting whatever drug was on the fliers the rep left a pile of in the waiting room. But this seems like the natural progression of things.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
what loving inducement could you possibly provide to people at this point to participate in a challenge trial haha

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what loving inducement could you possibly provide to people at this point to participate in a challenge trial haha

virtually no one believes covid to be a threat, so like, a sandwich and 20 bucks might be enough

and apparently, for a strain of covid four years out of date, they're mostly right

shame about the four years of continued evolution as our species just face-tanks a global pandemic

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Good to know we're only susceptible to the newest strains that emerge every 6 months. Someone should develop a vaccine platform that can spin up new formulations extremely quickly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I would like to give these researchers a lifetime ban on research and a trip to the Hague.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Welp, good news/bad news.

Bad news: my formerly COVID-doomer primary care doc has been successfully pod-peopled. He had no problem wearing a mask for me, nor admitting that long COVID was a thing, but he now thinks COVID has mutated to be much less harmful, and is no longer masking at large.

Good news: my fear of long COVID and the religiously adhered to exercise program that fear spawned has me no longer pre-hypertensive! 110/78 baby!

I fully recognize that COVID may append an ironic, "lol thought you'd escaped blood pressure meds?" coda after my next infection, but for now I'll take the win it gave me and take a victory lap with a salty bacon cheeseburger.

Very nice! Not so much the burger part though, too many sad pigs and cows involved.

Regardless of COVID's perceived severity one takeaway from the pandemic is the critical importance of getting healthy and fit. The pandemic really accelerated a number of existing problems in healthcare provision, not even considering potential long-term COVID impacts. Minimizing the chance of developing any kind of chronic health issue has always been worthwhile, but it esp prudent given the current state of healthcare throughout the western world.

Still not as fit as before getting COVID, but TBH that has more to do with the work commute going from very good to terrible, disastrous. Couldn't get a cushy WFH in your pajamas job, what a dream.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol I didn't know this was possible

Organic walnuts linked to E. coli infections in Washington, California

doh.wa.gov posted:

For immediate release: April 30, 2024   (24-047)

## People should stop eating and throw away recalled walnuts

OLYMPIA – The Washington State Department of Health (DOH), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advise people to stop eating organic walnut halves and pieces sold in bulk at several stores in Washington because of possible contamination with E. coli bacteria.

At least 12 people in California and Washington state have been infected with E. coli bacteria after eating bulk organic walnut halves and pieces. Six of those people live in Washington. No one has died from their infection.

What to do:

• If you bought organic walnut halves and pieces from bulk containers, check the list of stores on the DOH Food Recalls and Alerts website to see if the walnuts might be part of the recall. Stores may repackage bulk walnuts into plastic clamshells or bags.

• Ask the store where you purchased your walnuts if they sold recalled walnuts if you are not sure.

• Stop eating and discard recalled walnuts, including those stored in your refrigerator or freezer. If you can’t tell if your walnuts are part of the recall, it’s safer not to eat them.

• Wash containers used to store the recalled walnuts and any surface they may have touched with hot soapy water or a dishwasher

• Review DOH Food Safety Tips to learn about ways to protect yourself and others from foodborne illness.

E. coli bacteria can cause severe or even life-threatening infections, usually starting three or four days after eating or drinking something contaminated. Symptoms include diarrhea (which is often bloody), severe abdominal pain, and vomiting. Most people get better in five to seven days, but children 5 years or younger are at higher risk of severe illness.

Contact your healthcare provider if you ate a food that contains the recalled walnuts and develop symptoms of E. coli infection.

For more information visit:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

anything is possible if you put feces on it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

rip to all the PCC shoppers out there

CENTRAL CO-OP
VIEWRIDGE PCC
FREEMONT PCC (sic)
GREEN LAKE VILLAGE PCC
COLUMBIA CITY PCC
CENTRAL DISTRICT PCC
GREENLAKE AURORA PCC
BALLARD PCC
WEST SEATTLE PCC

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But where are the deaths?

After living with humans for the entirety of our evolutionary history, on this blessed day, Escherichia coli is finally #endemic. :blessed:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So I got an CT in preparation for my surgery and while the good news is I don’t appear to have cancer (or at least it hasn’t spread from the nasty cyst) I was surprised to see I had biapical scarring in my lungs. I’ve never smoked (though my stepdad smoked for a few years until my mom made him quit when I was little) and I don’t think I’ve ever had pneumonia or anything. Did have a mild case of Covid though!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/luckytran/status/1785337920498344085?s=46

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

So I got an CT in preparation for my surgery and while the good news is I don’t appear to have cancer (or at least it hasn’t spread from the nasty cyst) I was surprised to see I had biapical scarring in my lungs. I’ve never smoked (though my stepdad smoked for a few years until my mom made him quit when I was little) and I don’t think I’ve ever had pneumonia or anything. Did have a mild case of Covid though!

sounds like your lung tissue needs to get therapy

we did it joe

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Tested positive. third time. really glad I pushed myself to the limit yesterday working 9 hours straight for a client. really hope I dont end up in the hospital and/or permanent damage. got paxlovid.

oh well didnt have money to take the family on a summer vacation anyway, and now I have no PTO either!

is vitamin d still recommended? any other wacky poo poo I should shove into my orafaices to hopefully dull this pain

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Tested positive. third time. really glad I pushed myself to the limit yesterday working 9 hours straight for a client. really hope I dont end up in the hospital and/or permanent damage. got paxlovid.

oh well didnt have money to take the family on a summer vacation anyway, and now I have no PTO either!

is vitamin d still recommended? any other wacky poo poo I should shove into my orafaices to hopefully dull this pain

Rest, fluids, you have Pax, about it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
there was a study saying vitamin d helped but I don’t recall if the study was any good or not

but since vitamin d isn’t harmful as long as you’re taking reasonable doses, why not

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Steve Yun posted:

there was a study saying vitamin d helped but I don’t recall if the study was any good or not

but since vitamin d isn’t harmful as long as you’re taking reasonable doses, why not

pls limit ur D supplements as it is a fat soluble vitamin, mega dosing on vitamin D is linked to kidney stones.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Getting healthy nutrient intake is good, but I'd be extremely skeptical of any vitamin-maxing 'one weird trick' poo poo because even when a preliminary study does support it follow-ups almost never do.

Paxlovid, fluids, rest. Hard candy can help with the pax mouth. No extreme physical exertion, and even moderate physical or mental exertion is associated with worse long-term health outcomes, so for at least couple of months try to take it as easy as you can manage to improve your odds. AFAIK the only other poo poo with even vague chances of being helpful like nasal sprays or BEETS is mostly prophylactic in nature rather than curative.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

may I suggest some glycine (Donghua Jinlong recommended)

D,L-Lysine-Acetylsalicylate + Glycine (LASAG) Reduces SARS-CoV-2 Replication and Shows an Additive Effect with Remdesivir

Glycine can prevent and fight virus invasiveness by reinforcing the extracellular matrix

Can glycine mitigate COVID-19 associated tissue damage and cytokine storm ?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

only Donghua Jinlong has the best FDA approved industrial grade glycine that I need

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

reinforcing the extracellular matrix :powercatte:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

tools...?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remembering the classics.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1239200647616004096

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 23:02 on May 1, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ lol jeus christ

No, only vote!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Statement From Arizona, Florida, Illinois and Ohio Chief Elections Officials

TALLAHASSEE, FLA. – The following statement is attributable to Secretary of State Katie Hobbs (AZ), Secretary of State Laurel M. Lee (FL), Elections Board Chairman Charles Scholz (IL) and Secretary of State Frank LaRose (OH): As each of our four states prepare for voters to head to the polls on Tuesday, March 17, 2020, we are working closely with our state health officials to ensure that our poll workers and voters can be confident that voting is safe.

Unlike concerts, sporting events or other mass gatherings where large groups of people travel long distances to congregate in a confined space for an extended period of time, polling locations see people from a nearby community coming into and out of the building for a short duration.

Further, guidance from voting machine manufacturers on how best to sanitize machines, guidance from CDC on best practices for hand washing, and guidance from our respective state health officials is being provided to every polling location.

Americans have participated in elections during challenging times in the past, and based on the best information we have from public health officials, we are confident that voters in our states can safely and securely cast their ballots in this election, and that otherwise healthy poll workers can and should carry out their patriotic duties on Tuesday.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Whoa COVID in a headline in Korea!

Korea lowers COVID-19 warning level, lifts last-remaining antivirus mandates

Oh.

quote:

Wearing marks at hospitals in South Korea is not a must anymore as the government downgraded the infection level of COVID-19 and lifted most last-remaining antivirus regulations.

Effective Wednesday, the country lowered the four-grade COVID-19 crisis level from the second-highest "alert" to the lowest "concern" in a move to fully return to pre-pandemic normalcy, according to the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters.

Upon the move, mask mandates at hospitals and relevant facilities were completely lifted and infection tests ahead of the admission to nursing hospitals and other risk-prone facilities became a recommendation, rather than a must.

The government no longer fully supports COVID-19 testing or hospitalization costs, and patients need to pay for an oral antiviral pill, including Paxlovid.

The free vaccination program continue to be available through the 2023-2024 season, which will later be limited to high-risk groups, such as senior citizens and those with immune-compromised health issues, the authorities said.

Lol this may make paxlovid more accessible strangely?
Though it probably just means the 3 old people that received it will have to pay now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Oldest Man posted:

anything is possible if you put feces on it

That sounds like a motivational poster slogan, lol

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
thanks everyone, death to america

pulse ox 95% 100.3 fever

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ne Cede Malis posted:

pulse ox 95% 100.3 fever

This is the new normal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/goodranchers/status/1722640941708964265?s=46

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Getting healthy nutrient intake is good, but I'd be extremely skeptical of any vitamin-maxing 'one weird trick' poo poo because even when a preliminary study does support it follow-ups almost never do.

Paxlovid, fluids, rest. Hard candy can help with the pax mouth. No extreme physical exertion, and even moderate physical or mental exertion is associated with worse long-term health outcomes, so for at least couple of months try to take it as easy as you can manage to improve your odds. AFAIK the only other poo poo with even vague chances of being helpful like nasal sprays or BEETS is mostly prophylactic in nature rather than curative.

oh yeah the nasal sprays did shorten the duration of colds by one or two days and keep the spewing of virus down so you’re less likely to spread it to your family/roommates/pets

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Treatments that get mentioned in the same sentence as mild acute COVID:
Paxlovid obviously, Metformin, Famotidine, K12 oralbiotic for throat blisters, Lactobacillus plantarum (probiotic, found in many bottles labelled "PB8"), Vitamin D, Green tea, Natto-Serra supplements (or eat natto), CPC mouthwash, baby aspririn (for clots), CBD (not THC), fluids, rest, keeping heart rate down, food, tons of sleep, warm bath for chest pain

Supplements that get mentioned in the same sentence as mild acute COVID:
Andrographis, Echinacea, Elderberry (European Elder), Ginseng, Glycine, Lutein, Magnesium, Melatonin, N-acetylcysteine, Omega-3 fatty acids, Probiotics, Quercetin, Selenium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Zinc

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
If you want to throw anything at it that *may* help, pick and choose what's easiest and lowest risk from some of those.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
lmk if i'm missing any

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week Wkly Trend	Total
Apr 21            -        -        -      + 594    ↓ 13.9%       594
Apr 14            -        -      616       + 74     ↓ 6.5%       690
Apr 07            -      683       34       + 21     ↓ 3.5%       738
Mar 31          720       37        8          -    ↓ 22.1%       765
Mar 24           51       11        -        + 4    ↓ 18.0%       982
Thru 2023        80       23        1       - 10              179,988
Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Apr 21            -        -        -      + 203    ↓ 20.1%       203
Apr 14            -        -      200       + 54    ↓ 16.4%       254
Apr 07            -      250        3       + 51     ↑ 2.7%       304
Mar 31          257       39        -          -    ↓ 27.6%       296
Mar 24           -2       51        -          -    ↓ 12.4%       409
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               61,649

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Apr 21            -        -        -       + 77    ↓ 26.0%        77
Apr 14            -        -       88       + 16     ↑ 2.0%       104
Apr 07            -      133      -31          -    ↓ 23.3%       102
Mar 31          159      -26        -          -    ↓ 10.7%       133
Mar 24          -41       -1        -          -    ↓ 24.4%       149
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               18,171
Total occupied inpatient beds (excludes ICU beds) used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Apr 21            -        -        -      + 511    ↓ 19.0%       511
Apr 14            -        -      637        - 6    ↓ 10.4%       631
Apr 07            -      693       11          -     ↓ 7.7%       704
Mar 31          763        -        -          -    ↓ 16.8%       763
Mar 24            -        -        -          -    ↓ 10.9%       917
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -              118,223
Total occupied ICU beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ICU in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Apr 21            -        -        -       + 70    ↑ 45.8%        70
Apr 14            -        -       42        + 6     ↓ 7.7%        48
Apr 07            -       63      -11          -    ↓ 32.5%        52
Mar 31           77        -        -          -    ↓ 31.3%        77
Mar 24            -        -        -          -    ↑ 23.1%       112
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               13,223
Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent two weeks of data are incomplete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Apr 21            -        -        -          -         -          -
Apr 14            -        -        -        + 8    ↓ 52.9%         8
Apr 07            -        -       16        + 1     ↓ 5.6%        17
Mar 31            -       17        -        + 1    ↑ 63.6%        18
Mar 24            2        8        -        + 1    ↓ 31.3%        11
Thru 2023         3        -        2        + 1                1,978
Notes on Data and Limitations:
  • In this post I provide alternative visualizations for the overall weekly disease activity and reporting on weekly confirmed case positives, emergency department (ED) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients/occupied hospital beds, and confirmed deaths. Additionally I provide changes in COVID-19 activity due to backfill.
  • Trends are calculated based on the % change in the totals for the most recent week of data compared to the second most recent. This differs from the state's trend % as they are doing a % change of a % of ED visits and hospitalizations, respectively.
  • Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previously published weekly reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report.
  • These graphs were put together by using a multitude of resources spanning from the Washington State Department of Health all the way to the CDC and HHS. All of these state and federal reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday 7-day definition.
  • Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.
  • All numbers except for cases and deaths are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Totals are extrapolated by applying the state's weekly hospitalizations or ED visit % to the HHS' reporting of hospitalizations and ED visits due to all causes. Beds occupied by COVID-19 is the weekly average multiplied by 7 days, and beds occupied by influenza is from HHS reports.
  • A COVID-19, Influenza, or RSV death is only counted by the state if data is complete (cause of death is attributed to the disease and there is an associated laboratory positive test with no period of complete recovery between illness and death). The only exception is that RSV does not need a test, only that it is indicated as cause on the death certificate.
---
Sources:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

maxwellhill posted:

lmk if i'm missing any

ivermectin