Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Completely accurate for a Soldier fresh out of boot camp on deployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lae'zel has always had the hots for the player character, she's just tsundere.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Someone needs to turn this game's "horny" dial down because the gith hated my PC up until 5 minutes ago but is now making a pass at them. I don't think games will ever be able to have this sort of thing without it seeming abrupt and/or creepy.

agreed. her character arc if you do the romance is very sweet but would have strongly preferred it to be part of her companion quest or a No Horny toggle or something.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah if you stick with her through act 3 you get some touching scenes you would never have imagined from early days “nice shoes wanna gently caress?” Lae’zel

I guess you could argue she’s basically from outer space so it’s not unreasonable that she doesn’t follow human norms. I dunno what Halsin’s excuse is though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I appreciate Laezel doesn't get mopey if you reject her.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Docjowles posted:

I dunno what Halsin’s excuse is though.
If you don't do what everyone else does and leave him in camp as much as possible, he'll tell you he was captured by Drow and held as a sex slave for three years, but he's totally ok with that and doesn't have any unresolved trauma or anything, promise.

I think the only companion that doesn't have a bagload of issues they should be in therapy for is Jaheira, which is probably why she has the sense not to hop in bed with your bag of crazytown.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Ashcans posted:

I think the only companion that doesn't have a bagload of issues they should be in therapy for is Jaheira, which is probably why she has the sense not to hop in bed with your bag of crazytown.

uh, in Baldur's Gate 3, perhaps

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Jaheira's romance in BG2 is the most cursed thing in the history of video game romances.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

minsc is perfect the way he is.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

mycot posted:

I appreciate Laezel doesn't get mopey if you reject her.

In certain circumstances (I can't remember the dialogue circumstances) Lae'zel will get mad and tell you that she's going to sleep with Wyll.

You can then talk to her the next day and she'll complain Wyll only wanted to talk.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I remember when Lae'zel started coming on to me I though the way she's saying that, if I refuse she will probably hurt me. And then I thought if I agree she will definitely hurt me.

Then I found out later reading this thread that she actually does duel you lol

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Docjowles posted:

Yeah if you stick with her through act 3 you get some touching scenes you would never have imagined from early days “nice shoes wanna gently caress?” Lae’zel

I guess you could argue she’s basically from outer space so it’s not unreasonable that she doesn’t follow human norms. I dunno what Halsin’s excuse is though.

Teeth-lings

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ashcans posted:

To a lesser degree than the others. But she does have some act 3 content where if you find her house it's apparent she has a pretty broken relationship with her some of her adopted children. She's away risking death all the time and all they get is a message here and there saying "yeah I'm probs gonna die this time, good luck" and they hate it. There's also the hidden shrine to her dead husband she very much doesn't want you to know about

Which is nothing compared to Astarion's trauma for example but having her poo poo together is definitely a mask.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

grack posted:

In certain circumstances (I can't remember the dialogue circumstances) Lae'zel will get mad and tell you that she's going to sleep with Wyll.

You can then talk to her the next day and she'll complain Wyll only wanted to talk.

She's just the best. :allears:

There's a very sad and niche situation that might not exist anymore though where uh, it goes a bit beyond mopey.

This was all in Patch 1, I don't know if it's still there after the updated epilogues. I quicksaved right before seeing the endings to go through all the options.

If you romanced Lae'zel and freed Orpheus you had the option to convince her to stay in Fae'run with you. You could then go see her in a tiny little cutscene in an inn. You then for some really screwed up reason, after convincing her to abandon everything she's ever had in life and essentially leaving her stranded in an alien world with only you for support, had the option to dump her as the last thing you ever did in the game.

If you did this she would give this scornful speech about how it was a mistake to ever trust anyone with her heart and finish with "goodbye my first, and last love"

After seeing that I was like goddamnit Larian why was that an option? I had to quickload and go through the happy route again to get the taste out of my brain.

Unrelated note I got Busker. :toot: Just one final cheevo to go.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dragonwagon posted:

I remember when Lae'zel started coming on to me I though the way she's saying that, if I refuse she will probably hurt me. And then I thought if I agree she will definitely hurt me.

Then I found out later reading this thread that she actually does duel you lol

Lae'zel will absolutely wreck you if she goes first in the duel, but having seen both variants it's a much more powerful scene when you lose, anyway.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Poor Laezel got two smites, one of them a crit from luck of the far realms, straight up in round one. I felt bad.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Docjowles posted:

There's also the hidden shrine to her dead husband she very much doesn't want you to know about

Poor Khalid. He apparently died when we left him inside that small house in Beregost and party kicked him because I guess he could never remember how to open a door

Many such cases, primarily Dynaheir

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was following the kidnapping quest and reached a point that felt like I should maybe turn back and do more exploring. I'm not ready to go back to the tea house but stumbled upon a small area that ultimately led me back to the Grove and an explanation for why the rats there wouldn't talk to me. Speaking to animals has proven both more entertaining and more useful than I expected, particularly when used on swamp sheep.

I wound up back in the horrible spider cavern and decided to take a chance jumping into The Big Hole so I swigged a feather fall potion and... led my entire party to their deaths. Whoops.

Returned to the burnt out village to see if the fires had died down, and they had but there were still plenty of hot spots for my idiot party members to blunder through. I even tried to jump over one and my PC instead walked onto the hotspot and then jumped. I talked to an ox and then made the surprising discovery that you can move crates!

That led me off on a tangent into another cave system where I encountered some shady folks but managed to get through it without having to fight anyone. I'm not sure where I'm going from here. There might be more cave to explore but they're prepping to blow the whole place up so I don't want to become a permanent resident.

I also had a strange dream that led me to stuffing two more tadpoles into my brain before I realized that thematically that did not jibe with my PC. Ah well. The next character will definitely be a deliberate tadpole stuffer.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

I was following the kidnapping quest and reached a point that felt like I should maybe turn back and do more exploring. I'm not ready to go back to the tea house but stumbled upon a small area that ultimately led me back to the Grove and an explanation for why the rats there wouldn't talk to me. Speaking to animals has proven both more entertaining and more useful than I expected, particularly when used on swamp sheep.

I wound up back in the horrible spider cavern and decided to take a chance jumping into The Big Hole so I swigged a feather fall potion and... led my entire party to their deaths. Whoops.
Of note, there are two Big Holes in the Spider cave you can jump into... one is just a death pit. But the other...

Dick Trauma posted:

Returned to the burnt out village to see if the fires had died down, and they had but there were still plenty of hot spots for my idiot party members to blunder through. I even tried to jump over one and my PC instead walked onto the hotspot and then jumped. I talked to an ox and then made the surprising discovery that you can move crates!

That led me off on a tangent into another cave system where I encountered some shady folks but managed to get through it without having to fight anyone. I'm not sure where I'm going from here. There might be more cave to explore but they're prepping to blow the whole place up so I don't want to become a permanent resident.

I also had a strange dream that led me to stuffing two more tadpoles into my brain before I realized that thematically that did not jibe with my PC. Ah well. The next character will definitely be a deliberate tadpole stuffer.

Definitely get what you want from the Zhentarim cave and get out. They may have a job for you, if you haven't stumbled across it already. As for the Tadpoles... at the very least, there are no mechanical downsides to stuffing yourself with more. It's purely a thematic "would my character do this" sort of thing. I do like that some party members are more receptive to trying it than others, though. Some are willing to go for it right off the bat, but others you need to actively talk them into it with Persuasion checks - and only after you've used one yourself.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Dick Trauma posted:

Feather Fall (the spell) casts it on your whole party, but Feather Fall (the potion) is only for the person who drank it. I forget this... often.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

BlazetheInferno posted:

But the other...

Sparkling Death

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

exquisite tea posted:

Jaheira's romance in BG2 is the most cursed thing in the history of video game romances.

Iirc isn’t aerie’s worse?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Iirc isn’t aerie’s worse?

I don’t know exactly how you quantify one or the other as worse because they’re both very uncomfortable in their own ways, but the infant taking up a quick slot in ToB was certainly a choice they made

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SlothBear posted:

She's just the best. :allears:

There's a very sad and niche situation that might not exist anymore though where uh, it goes a bit beyond mopey.

This was all in Patch 1, I don't know if it's still there after the updated epilogues. I quicksaved right before seeing the endings to go through all the options.

If you romanced Lae'zel and freed Orpheus you had the option to convince her to stay in Fae'run with you. You could then go see her in a tiny little cutscene in an inn. You then for some really screwed up reason, after convincing her to abandon everything she's ever had in life and essentially leaving her stranded in an alien world with only you for support, had the option to dump her as the last thing you ever did in the game.

If you did this she would give this scornful speech about how it was a mistake to ever trust anyone with her heart and finish with "goodbye my first, and last love"

After seeing that I was like goddamnit Larian why was that an option? I had to quickload and go through the happy route again to get the taste out of my brain.

Unrelated note I got Busker. :toot: Just one final cheevo to go.

Why did you choose to do it you monster.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Dick Trauma posted:

I felt really dumb when I realized there were water barrels EVERYWHERE, and my high strength characters could simply pick them up and toss them into the burning areas to make them safe to traverse.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

EricFate posted:

I felt really dumb when I realized there were water barrels EVERYWHERE, and my high strength characters could simply pick them up and toss them into the burning areas to make them safe to traverse.

Sadly, in that particular area, that only lasts briefly - the patches of fire spread back out again after a bit.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I just run through the fire like a dumbass chad and drink a few of the 9 million healing potions you accumulate after

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Someone needs to turn this game's "horny" dial down because the gith hated my PC up until 5 minutes ago but is now making a pass at them. I don't think games will ever be able to have this sort of thing without it seeming abrupt and/or creepy.

No this is just how gith-specific romance works. They all act like they loving hate you while quietly seething with lust because of how good a warrior you are. 10,000 years of omnicidal space fascism makes your romance predilections weird I guess.

Docjowles posted:

I dunno what Halsin’s excuse is though.

He is less a man who can transform into animals and more an animal with a good man disguise, hth

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 1, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

But the Big Red Lady also came on to my PC even though she hasn't been in my party other than to handle the first part of her personal quest. I think Gale got a little frisky too after we did a little, um... channeling.

Get a strong L.A. yoga instructor vibe from that dude.

EDIT: VVVV Halfling bard with a cool hat. I bet it's the hat.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 1, 2024

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

But the Big Red Lady also came on to my PC even though she hasn't been in my party other than to handle the first part of her personal quest. I think Gale got a little frisky too after we did a little, um... channeling.

Get a strong L.A. yoga instructor vibe from that dude.

Now this is funny cause Karlach is like universally recognized as the hardest one to catch the attention of and successfully romance for some reason. My wife has been failing through all 3 acts to get Karlach to bite. Maybe your Tav ust has unnatural amounts of charisma.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, most of the cast members have a good reason for being really easy to romance.

Gale's been in complete isolation for a year with nothing but his cat tressym for company. Lae'zel, it's just how Gith relationships work, honestly. Astarion's been a slave/puppet for 200 years and initially is just trying to seduce you for protection, Karlach literally hasn't been able to safely touch anyone for 10 years... Wyll and Shadowheart don't quite have so easy an excuse, but they're also not usually among the "oops I accidentally a romance" crowd.

And Halsin is just Halsin.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

someone posted halsin has some dark reason for being that way he reveals if you actually use him, which I'll never know because he has a stupid voice

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

One of the many things I really love about this game is how distinct and complete and unique all the party members are. You have people out there who are ride or die for Halsin, he is their dreamboat, and then you have people that could not be less interested in Halsin but they'd take a bullet for Wyll, or want nothing more than to live in a little cottage with Shadowheart and browse swinger websites with her on the weekend (she is almost comically supportive of and excited about you hooking up with the other horndogs in your area)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

oddly specific

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Like with most games I'm reluctant to explore the horny stuff because it's usually so awful, stilted, forced and laughably animated.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Like with most games I'm reluctant to explore the horny stuff because it's usually so awful, stilted, forced and laughably animated.

Fair but you are almost certainly underestimating what an unreasonable amount of production value Larian poured into their horny content

If you romance Karlach you can go on a fancy dinner date in the city :allears:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zodium posted:

someone posted halsin has some dark reason for being that way he reveals if you actually use him, which I'll never know because he has a stupid voice

I can't remember if it was here or Twitter where I saw someone suggest that Halsin is a bear who wildshapes into an Elf instead of the other way around and that just makes so much drat sense.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Zodium posted:

oddly specific

No like Shadowheart specifically tells you she wants to get a little cottage with you and also explicitly tells you to gently caress Halsin when he asks, says the only reason she's annoyed you banged Mizora is cause you didn't include her, and so on. This is just the text of the game.

Dick Trauma posted:

Unless you're playing this game in front of your parents or kids, there is no reason to fear this

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Dick Trauma posted:

my dude you at least need to see the minthara sex scene, its all of these things AND comes on the back of the two of you genociding a village

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

comes on the back of the two of you

:catstare: