Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
FO76: Found 3 more magazines today. And thats after following 3 different YouTube videos. The game is just loving with me at this point. Gotta be getting close to 20 by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Fallout 76 is really, really good. I mean its buggy as poo poo but there's so much interesting poo poo going on in such an empty world its baffling and amazing at the same time.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Paying2Lurk posted:

FO76: Found 3 more magazines today. And thats after following 3 different YouTube videos. The game is just loving with me at this point. Gotta be getting close to 20 by now.

You want more?

https://fo76map.com/

Hide All
Click on Magazines

There is no guarantee that there will be a magazine, just a chance.

Edit: These are just world spawns, every Interior cell can have a random Magazine as well.

The same is true for Bobbleheads or random Recipe/Plans. They all CAN spawn but it's random.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 1, 2024

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Sensenmann posted:

Commando is usually VATS, yes. TS is decent in VATS but horrible for hipfiring. The Fixer is the best of the traditional Ballistic weapons, Handmade is second. Railway Rifles, especially Quad/Explosive are what you want for deleting pretty much everything but you HAVE to use VATS for that. The recoil is beyond insane.

Depending on your build, full health or low health, you could try rolling for one of the following:

Full health: Juggernaut, Quad, Executioner, Anti-Armor, Aristocrat (only if it's the only weapon you have)
Low Health: Bloodied (obvious), Quad, Vampire, Anti-Armor

Most legendary prefixes have a purpose but some are automatic scrip. Nocturnal, Exterminator, Mutants, Troubleshooter, Berserker and I'm probably forgetting something. These are all universally garbage. Supressor has a use case for support builds but I'd still script that.

Cryolators are good support weapons for the boss fights. Freeze them in place or slow down the Queen flying around.

I found a really good build breakdown along with a user-submitted database full of various perk card arrangements for each one: https://www.falloutbuilds.com/fo76/builds/

I'm having way too much fun experimenting with everything and I still have yet to settle on anything specific, but it should help narrow it down a bit.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 1, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Black Griffon posted:

Oh, a tour.

To-do list is to put down some carpet, add some interesting decorations around the crafting stations, set up a power armor workstation and figure out what I can cut to make sure I can do all that with the resource budget. Then I'll probably come up with some other base I want to build and abandon this one.

its beautiful.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Root Bear posted:

I found a really good build breakdown along with a user-submitted database full of various perk card arrangements for each one: https://www.falloutbuilds.com/fo76/builds/

I'm having way too much fun experimenting with everything and I still have yet to settle on anything specific, but it should help narrow it down a bit.

If you need any help with a specific build or have questions about why someone chose a specific perk or ignored one you would have chosen, just ask.

Or hop on the Discord and join the Brotherhood of Goon. ;)

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Yeah, I've seen that. But videos are better since they actually show you where the stupid things spawn. Knowing a magazine might be in the Watoga bus terminal isn't as helpful as a video that says "the spawn point is in the broken elevator at the back of the room" etc.

Don't mean to sound ungrateful, just annoyed at the game since this dumb trophy is taking so long.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Paying2Lurk posted:

Yeah, I've seen that. But videos are better since they actually show you where the stupid things spawn. Knowing a magazine might be in the Watoga bus terminal isn't as helpful as a video that says "the spawn point is in the broken elevator at the back of the room" etc.

Don't mean to sound ungrateful, just annoyed at the game since this dumb trophy is taking so long.

There are two perks under Perception that can help with Magazines and Bobbleheads.

Pannapictagraphist - Directional audio when a magazine is close by
Percepti--Bobble - Same as above but for Bobbleheads

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah I know. I'm just complaining like I have been over the last 10 pages or so since I started playing again.

Found 2 more though. Getting closer.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I was under the impression that all the magazines and bobbleheads gave temporary buffs rather than permanent ones and thus stopped giving a poo poo about them. Is there some benefit to collecting all of them other than satisfying the brain spiders or having extra consumables on hand for special occasions?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
There's a trophy for finding 20 of them. So yes, brainworms.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Paying2Lurk posted:

Gotcha. There is no shame in succumbing to the pure joy of ticking boxes and/or number go up.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

evilmiera posted:

The main quest of Fallout 76 also sounds like it is the most boring story of the entire franchise, including the Brotherhood of Steel games.

There's parts of it that work, though some of that was kinda lost with the upgrades like adding people. The whole thing where it turns out all the Responders were wiped out feels undermined by running into new Responders right outside the vault, and Heather at their first outpost explaining the original Responders died right as you're starting the breadcrumb quest for them.

So on the topic of neglected weapons and builds, is it just other things give bigger numbers in endgame or is a revolver gunslinger at severe disadvantage while playing?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Slowly uncovering the story of the Scorched and how each faction had a piece of the puzzle that could solve it but refused to work together as you looked for the Overseer was great

Then there's the whole 'nukes are bad' story in a game where dropping nukes on the reg is literally a feature, so sorry Overseer, gonna go nuke Whitesprings for shits and giggles and get some of that sweet sweet flux for crafting

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Morality_Police posted:

I'm finally trying out a commando build since they are apparently so good, but I'm struggling with making a decent legendary to mess around with. My best so far is a 2-shot, Explosive, 15% faster reload handmade, but I notice the 2-shot makes it basically a scatter gun when hip firing. Do people generally do VATS builds for commando or hipfire? I think I have the points to make it a VATS build, but I'm unsure if I should do that or reroll some more until I get something other than 2-shot on the handmade.

Yes it's all about VATS crits which will more than double your damage output.
I'm assuming you skipped the step where you get a bunch of mutations and hover at 19% of your max hp constantly?
You also need to enchant every piece of your armor with the Bloodied prefix. Don't bother with any other stats to begin with, rolling perfect *** stuff is the late lategame.
The +all stats except END is the key to nearly unlimited VATS juice, crit bar refill (you want 15 base Luck and all the crit cards) and VATS accuracy out the wazoo.

I'm sure there is a mutated Fixer build you can find easily.
Ask someone with the blueprint to make you half a dozen lvl 50 Fixers and mod them right, although it's not too hard to find the blueprint for anywhere from 5k-20k caps.

e; just to illustrate, at 34 Luck (you'll need 1 item rolled with +1 LCK or a LCK underarmor) plus the 3star Crit Savvy card, the crit meter will refill with every normal shot.
Just hold down the spacebar and see how quickly a legendary enemy gets its weakspot ripped to shreds :eyepop:

It's difficult to convey how going through all this trouble will pay off, but it really does.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 1, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CelticPredator posted:

Explain a bit more I am stupid

quad is a super no brainer for the railway rifle because the magazine holds 10 by default, and you will be constantly reloading. quad makes it hold 40 and is a lot more flexible. a fullauto burst does gigantic amounts of damage regardless of whatever other legendary mods are on it so your biggest single thing to improve your overall damage is reduce the amount of time you spend not shooting because you are reloading. this applies to all use cases for it. for other commando guns (fixer/combat rifle, assault rifle etc) it's less blatant because they have 20 or 25 base magazine size, and reload time is much less of a big deal except vs event bosses so I think it's not as obvious a choice.

I would rather have a 1-star quad railway gun than a 3-star any other combo of mods *on a railway gun.

e: clarifying on the railway gun (maybe that wasn't obvious)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 1, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So I rolled a brand new character to try pistol and it's not bad so far (in the 40s). Revolvers don't feel good at all but the 10mm and pipe guns are okay. They really just dump ammo on you these days, it's nothing at all like when I started. I got the plans for the Alien Blaster which seems to be a very popular pistol choice but dang does it make a bad first impression. I haven't gotten the cryo mod for it yet which is apparently what makes it not suck. :shrug:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So, I've been having fun running around with Cold Shoulder and a shotgun/strength focus but eventually will want to try commando. Do I need to start getting perk cards for that now, in advance?

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Flesh Forge posted:

I got the plans for the Alien Blaster which seems to be a very popular pistol choice but dang does it make a bad first impression.

The Alien Blaster (specifically the cryo mod which made it not suck) was stealth nerfed in the latest patch. The free new skin from the event is fantastic, at least.

Gunslinger took a massive nerf.

Consider these pistols, google for guides on Reddit and YouTube;

Crusader - With pyro or cryo receiver (get the plans from Minerva when they're available in a few days, whereisminerva.com). Preferably two shot/bloodied/anti armor explosive. Friendly fire let's you heal teammates and NPCs with the pyro. Fantastic sounds and animations. Only one skin ever released as a prime bundle.

Enclave Plasma Pistol - One of the most flexible weapons in the game, but difficult to get difficult to mod and you're competing with every commando in the game for one. Finally getting skins. Maybe someday a good skin!

Slug Buster - Awesome alternative to an Enclave Plasma. Can be a free reward from the Wastelanders quest with the right choices and assuming the game doesn't bug out on you. You can also find it in player vendors for cheap sometimes. Hidden 4th star ap bonus makes this a sleeper for any vats user. No skins because of Bethesda jank.

Circuit Breaker - Seasonal reward from last season. It's fine. Unavailable right now but may come back for stamps or atoms. It has a special selection of skins, so who knows if they'll be bundled or what.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Kaddish posted:

So, I've been having fun running around with Cold Shoulder and a shotgun/strength focus but eventually will want to try commando. Do I need to start getting perk cards for that now, in advance?

The basic one I'm running has all 9 Commando damage cards in its core build, and a point or two into ground pounder and tank killer. The other perk outlays are supplemental and make it smoother to play (Action Boy/Girl, Marathoner, better Critical, etc) but I think being damage forward in Perception is probably best to start with

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Complaining on the internet works again! Got my 20th magazine just as I was about to log off and watch basketball.

Now all I have to do is kill the Scorch Queen and that platinum trophy is mine. I've got the Ultracite Power Armor and a laser minigun with okay Legendary mods. That plus the Cold Shoulder should be fine as long as enough people show up.

So the plan is to sneak through the silo in my stealth armor, launch the nuke then fast travel to my camp. Switch special load outs. Then fast travel to my tent which is near the fissure.

If I don't fall asleep during Mavs / Clippers I should be able to get it done tonight.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

The full tummy mod is trash too imo

it's the power armor meta but yeah garbage for weapons

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

also atoms for getting a full set of each magazine and you can display them to show off your brain worms

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

quad is a super no brainer for the railway rifle because the magazine holds 10 by default, and you will be constantly reloading. quad makes it hold 40 and is a lot more flexible. a fullauto burst does gigantic amounts of damage regardless of whatever other legendary mods are on it so your biggest single thing to improve your overall damage is reduce the amount of time you spend not shooting because you are reloading. this applies to all use cases for it. for other commando guns (fixer/combat rifle, assault rifle etc) it's less blatant because they have 20 or 25 base magazine size, and reload time is much less of a big deal except vs event bosses so I think it's not as obvious a choice.

I would rather have a 1-star quad railway gun than a 3-star any other combo of mods *on a railway gun.

e: clarifying on the railway gun (maybe that wasn't obvious)

wait is the railway gun an automatic gun? so the rifleman perk doesnt do anything for it?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Kly posted:

wait is the railway gun an automatic gun? so the rifleman perk doesnt do anything for it?

The bots at the railways (and maybe elsewhere?) sell a plan for the mod that makes it full auto for like ~1200 caps.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Went ham on the photomode today

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Someone nuked Whitespring Mall, which was right next to my camp. First nuke I've seen and it was really surprising.
I snagged as many flowers as I could but didn't have the mats to refine them, so they all spoiled.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Russian Remoulade posted:

The bots at the railways (and maybe elsewhere?) sell a plan for the mod that makes it full auto for like ~1200 caps.

Mod is under 300. Railway gun itself is about 1200

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Akalies posted:

The Alien Blaster (specifically the cryo mod which made it not suck) was stealth nerfed in the latest patch. The free new skin from the event is fantastic, at least. [etc]

well good news, I have this (just got the cryo mod) and none of the others :thumbsup:

Russian Remoulade posted:

By default it's a Rifleman gun but as mintioned it can be modded to fullauto, it's very strong either way

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 2, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by all this talk of endgame weapons (?) and optimization. When do I have to start worrying about such things as opposed to just loving around and picking out what's cool? I do understand that SPECIAL points and perks can be changed rather freely.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its funny, I always hover around 9/10k caps in fo76, but i don't really buy anything anymore. I have all the plans I could ever want for gear, so its just decorations, and eh, i have more than i could ever fit in my camps budget.

I really wish FO1st was cheaper, 20bux a month is a fair bit of money. It should be like 5bux a month, even 10 i'd think about.

Something I really like is that all resources you could need are there, and rarer and more necessary mats are in specific places. Need lead? Lucky hole mine! Even if you don't have an excavator power armor you can get a decent amount to keep yourself in ammo for your chosen weapon. Need acid? Snallygasters in the cranberry bog trainyard will get you a decent amount. Even then, you'll eventually just remember what junk gives you what mats and you start picking up every abaraxo you come across.

Its still buggy, like if you fast travel to a nuked area there is a good chance you'll die as soon as you arrive and you won't be able to respawn. Which is annoying to say the least.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by all this talk of endgame weapons (?) and optimization. When do I have to start worrying about such things as opposed to just loving around and picking out what's cool? I do understand that SPECIAL points and perks can be changed rather freely.

You never do, have fun nobody's going to come to your house and give you a wedgie for having a suboptimal character

I have something like a thousand levels between 4 characters and they're all terrible :toot:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

You never do, have fun nobody's going to come to your house and give you a wedgie for having a suboptimal character

I have something like a thousand levels between 4 characters and they're all terrible :toot:

do the enemies just never become too hard?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They stop scaling past their preset cap, unlike FO4. Some things get fairly hard, like Troglodytes in Pitt, but you don't have to kill everything with every character you make and imo it's fine if you can't solo or carry for one of the big event bosses, my garbage pistol noob got into daily ops at like 25 and it was fine. Running around in mid 50s now with an anti armor pipe gun and unmodded leather armor and it's fine

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

gradenko_2000 posted:

do the enemies just never become too hard?

There are lots of hard enemies. Sheepsquach, the mega sloth, the stupid alien drones (why are they so loving hard to kill? None of the other alien poo poo is that hard). You can also easily get overwhelmed by a lot of enemies. I've died to bloodbugs way too many times because there were just too many to take out.

I've decided to just use my power armor and its build for everything, unless i'm explicitly farming for a resource because its way too annoying to go back and switch out of my SS armor and get a power armor and switch weapons. Just live in the drat thing. Not to mention i have 37 fusion cores. Oh I looked through the store for the fusion core recharger, and I can't find it. I'd pay real money, the kind you fold, to have one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Two perk choices will go super far in making you die less:
- Blocker x3
- Fireproof x3

Life Giver is another really good choice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The holy fire with napalm is goated. Makes everyone explode

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Woohoo! Scorched Beast Queen is down, platinum trophy achieved!

Stealthed and photo mode clipped my way through most of Site Charlie, and broke out the power armor for the launch prep part. Followed a video guide on placing the nuke so that Drop Site V9 was left safe. Sure enough, a big group of people gathered there and we were able to fight SBQ outside the nuke zone. The adds never really became a problem so the fight went easy enough. Pretty sure everybody there got enough damage in before SBQ went down as well. Cold Shoulder came in handy.

Ran around inside the nuke zone grabbing flowers, but only fought a few enemies. Went back to camp to try and make some stable flux but somehow I didn't get any Hardened Mass. So all my flux will probably spoil, but I was too tired to go back and try to get more.

Stayed up way too late, but feeling good. Tomorrow I'll start dealing with these whiny Raiders and Settlers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Me and my buds launched 2 nukes today lmao. Good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

there's two reasonable methods for farming the materials, bloatfly syringer or nuke whitesprings on a private world so that you can respawn the ghouls