Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Skios posted:

Also, that line about nobody at Genosha really being surprised was heartbreaking. Definitely feels like an allusion to the Pulse Nightclub shooting.

There was also a pretty clear allusion to Matthew Shepard with Bastion's line: "Who knows, maybe a mutant flirts with one of them at a local dive bar".

That was in 1998, so it does line up with the year the show is taking place in. I can't imagine the OG cartoon would've made such a clear reference to it when it was so recent though.

And while what Magneto did is pretty drat extreme, at least they didn't take the Ultimate Comics approach which was waaay worse. And that's what immediately jumped into my head until I saw it all play out and I was like holy poo poo, they're really going there?!

Gavok posted:

There's all this talk in this thread about a continuation of the Spider-Man cartoon, but they DID continue it with Spider-Man Unlimited... and...

Actually, yeah, anything else would be better.

...I remember liking Spider-Man Unlimited. But then again I was a kid and I liked just about everything I watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Harmony isn't that big.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I don't have a lot to add to what people have been saying, I just wanted to chime in with holy poo poo, this show keeps being so incredibly good. That may be the best episode yet, it's either this or episode 5 (probably 5 for how much of a game changer it was, but god drat this was good).

I thought I was getting bored with Marvel stuff. Turns out I was bored with boring Marvel stuff.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
No bad notes. No myth notes. We are in balls to the wall X-Men craziness and social commentary territory and I love it.

I don’t know just how aware and ironic the writers are being with the source material and current right conspiracy theories…but, Bastion and Prime Sentinels are the “transhumanist agenda” Alex Jones thinks the ‘globalists’ are pushing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

loving Harmony, Pennsylvania, lmao. Chosen because they were able to draw every single person who lives there, surely.

This show is supposed to be low-effort millenial bait, why is it so loving good???

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

NowonSA posted:

There was also a pretty clear allusion to Matthew Shepard with Bastion's line: "Who knows, maybe a mutant flirts with one of them at a local dive bar".

God drat, I didn't even pick up on that. It is *insane* what they're managing to do with this quasi-reboot of a Saturday morning cartoon series

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 1, 2024

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

this show kicks so much rear end

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Another 'What if...' reference: Beast mentions Absolute Points in time from 'What If Dr. Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands'.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
gat drat

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

Skios posted:

Also, I wonder if this episode puts an end to the theory that dr. Cooper is Mystique in disguise.

Towards the end of her speech she says something like running from giant robot meant to crush you, not them. So still possible?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Wondering the same thing. It will probably turn out that whatever she is doing undercover is so important she couldn't even risk blowing it then.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Another 'What if...' reference: Beast mentions Absolute Points in time from 'What If Dr. Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands'.
I actually just watched that episode, and while I like it as a standalone Dr Strange story it feels hard to square with how Endgame and Loki handle time travel. It seems like there shouldn't really be time paradoxes since going back in time and making a significant change just creates a branch universe that doesn't have to be the same as your own?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Cooper is clearly Mephisto.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Technowolf posted:

:hmmyes:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

King Of Coons posted:

Towards the end of her speech she says something like running from giant robot meant to crush you, not them. So still possible?

I mean, the Prime Sentinels are pretty lovely if they can't detect her

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, she's not hiding from super sentinels, Mr Sinister and Bastion.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sockser posted:

loving Harmony, Pennsylvania, lmao. Chosen because they were able to draw every single person who lives there, surely.

This show is supposed to be low-effort millenial bait, why is it so loving good???

Good? They missed the opportunity to have Bastion being driven insane by Harmony's weird one handed apocalypse clock.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I can't believe Bastion's dad got the same treatment as the dad from Batman Beyond.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Technowolf posted:

God, keep her away from Spider-Man then.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As much as I've railed against attempts to tie this to the MCU specifically, I do think the use of Absolute Points in time was deliberately using that established concept from the MCU to basically say 'yo, we ain't undoing poo poo via time travel'.

I do wonder, though, if the White Hot Room might not end up being a thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gaz-L posted:

As much as I've railed against attempts to tie this to the MCU specifically, I do think the use of Absolute Points in time was deliberately using that established concept from the MCU to basically say 'yo, we ain't undoing poo poo via time travel'.

Showrunner is saying exactly that.

https://x.com/BeauDemayo/status/1785566156449087524

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He also said to watch One Man's Worth, so I'm thinking "to get us out of this one" is doing some heavy lifting there. There's gonna be time travel, it's just gonna make things worse.

Yay, we saved Gambit!

Boo, it's now the Age of... uh, Mr. Sinister?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

He also said to watch One Man's Worth, so I'm thinking "to get us out of this one" is doing some heavy lifting there. There's gonna be time travel, it's just gonna make things worse.

Yay, we saved Gambit!

Doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it.

But with the global EMP attack which apparently is part of the arc where Wolverine gets his adamantium torn out an Magneto gets lobotomized by Prof X, people are predicting Onslaught for next season.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Defiance Industries posted:

Yay, we saved Gambit!

This is why he said to watch One Man's Worth.

https://x.com/BeauDemayo/status/1785680344819319237

That's Bastian's dad.

And this, which I'll put in a url because the description he posts is a spoiler.

https://www.twitter.com/BeauDemayo/status/1785678276503236678

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Really great cameos in this episode from other Marvel characters but there was one villain I didn't recognize:

After Dr Doom says his thing to Bastion, another guy appears on a different screen who looks to be wearing a black mask and outfit with shoulder spikes or something?

edit: this guy, who is he?

VVV - Thank you :)

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 1, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Turpitude posted:

Really great cameos in this episode from other Marvel characters but there was one villain I didn't recognize:

After Dr Doom says his thing to Bastion, another guy appears on a different screen who looks to be wearing a black mask and outfit with shoulder spikes or something?

Zemo.

VA is even doing a passable Daniel Bruhl.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Turpitude posted:

That's Baron Zemo

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Fair to say they are not constrained to what the old cartoon could do. Well over a TV half hour and even an actual half hour. You used to get away with chopping up Foot Soldiers and such by making them robots, does that still count when they were very recently humans? Either way we saw a lot of people die.

And with them pulling back from post-2000 stuff after the fall of Genosha I'm wondering does "Magneto was right" present the possibility of Quentin showing up? Obviously they pulled out Emma in her Diamond form last week but seem to have cut off any strife (partial pun) between Scott and Jean for the time being. Maybe a slow burn into Morrison stuff once they're rebuilding from however this season resolves?

Did they ever sell the t-shirt? Hope they do this time.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 1, 2024

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Turpitude posted:

Baron Zemo is the guy with the mask and the fur on his shoulders. No idea who the woman after was, Madame Masque or something perhaps.

Edit: I was way slow.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
This show has been, by and large, dramatically better than it has any right to be. This week's episode was haunting given the backdrop of the shocking apathy displayed globally to the plight of Palestinians, and the whole "They weren't surprised" speech hit me like a freight train. Every episode has been surprising me with how lovingly crafted and straight up respectful this show is to the intent of the source material, and I really hope that this quality holds through the finale.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

thebardyspoon posted:

Baron Zemo is the guy with the mask and the fur on his shoulders. No idea who the woman after was, Madame Masque or something perhaps.

Edit: I was way slow.

DeMayo said she was just a nameless human UN rep to show that the UN were full of poo poo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BizarroAzrael posted:

Fair to say they are not constrained to what the old cartoon could do. Well over a TV half hour and even an actual half hour. You used to get away with chopping up Foot Soldiers and such by making them robots, does that still count when they were very recently humans? Either way we saw a lot of people die.

And with them pulling back from post-2000 stuff after the fall of Genosha I'm wondering does "Magneto was right" present the possibility of Quentin showing up? Obviously they pulled out Emma in her Diamond form last week but seem to have cut off any strife (partial pun) between Scott and Jean for the time being. Maybe a slow burn into Morrison stuff once they're rebuilding from however this season resolves?

Did they ever sell the t-shirt? Hope they do this time.

In the show, the sign they showed in Genosha said Magneto is Right. The shirts happened post Genosha in the comics.

It would be great if Quentin showed up but I don't see how you can do that this season. His initial plot doesn't work without the school having a decent sized student body. It always makes me laugh the first time the school had a decent sized student body was the Morrison era.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I definitely didn't see this, credit to a far more observant person on CBR for pointing out this copying from the films.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

NikkolasKing posted:

Doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it.

But with the global EMP attack which apparently is part of the arc where Wolverine gets his adamantium torn out an Magneto gets lobotomized by Prof X, people are predicting Onslaught for next season.

I'd be up to see the show's take on that next season. I expect that particular issue wouldn't be resolved just by fighting, but man I'd enjoy seeing a full 10+ minute fight involving the x-men and that character.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Says nothing about the multiverse tho!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What an episode. I may have yelled when Dr Doom and then Spider Man showed up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How is ever episode of this an A+?

I like how everyones slowly getting modern costumes, though Jubes actually buys hers, Logan is just wearing it.

Sinister going "I am just using Bastion" reminded me of all those villain team ups where they're just looking to betray each other./spoiler]

Also in the flash forward [spoiler] I think thats the first time Rachael Grey/Summers has appeared?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would like Quire, and Necrosha in future seasons.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bastion/Prime Sentinel talk
Nobody here really believes Bastion that all the Prime Sentinels were members, even unwitting ones, of his little hate group, right? His old-rear end mom was on some AOL chat room bitching about muties? Trish, who was there to apologize to Hank for her insensitivity, went to a meeting of bigots to join up? Sure, some of them were probably did join up with an anti-mutant group and were forced into this scientific horror, but it seems just as likely many were just plain abducted and used for convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I assume back in the 90's Magnus was a survivor of an ambiguous atrocity rather than explicitly the Holocaust for both character age and kids broadcast reasons? Pretty far from name dropping Mengele. And sort of ambiguously European and not necessarily every name Erik Lehnshurr?

Do we still think Val Cooper is Mystique? I thought she might reveal herself to Bastion but obviously not yet. With her being referenced so much and having since had a redemption I figured they might get her involved. Could just be she just privately reflects on things to the audience before electing not to directly involve herself in Rogue and Kurt's lives right now.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 1, 2024