Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Slyphic posted:

It seemed less antagonistic than 'sweaty tryhard', and I thought the old MTG psychographic profiles would be fairly common knowledge among people discussing gameplay.

how embarrasing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The reason chargers feel easy is because they are tanks and you brought an anti-tank weapon. If you want the "dodge around and chip away with precision fire" experience, bring an autocannon or erupter and shoot for their butt. No one is making you use the quasar on its face. gently caress's sake.

Anyway I think the bile titans are the ones that should have leg tactics. They're way up on those big spindly things...I should be able to score a knee hit with an EAT and sever that leg, and it shouldn't kill it, but it should make it hobble around and turn more slowly. That would be a great way to let people cool off a multi-titan situation without just nerfing them or giving them a critical weakness.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sagebrush posted:

The reason chargers feel easy is because they are tanks and you brought an anti-tank weapon. If you want the "dodge around and chip away with precision fire" experience, bring an autocannon or erupter and shoot for their butt. No one is making you use the quasar on its face. gently caress's sake.

Anyway I think the bile titans are the ones that should have leg tactics. They're way up on those big spindly things...I should be able to score a knee hit with an EAT and sever that leg, and it shouldn't kill it, but it should make it hobble around and turn more slowly. That would be a great way to let people cool off a multi-titan situation without just nerfing them or giving them a critical weakness.

Also let's me say "sweep the leg!" to teammates, which is fun.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Torchlighter posted:

Maybe with the new buffs, but I don't care about how fast it fires, I care about how fast it kills, and the railgun has never killed anything above a medium threat with a single shot. I don't even think it is a jack of all trades weapon because it doesn't kill Heavies immediately or reliably without help (I guess it still cores Hulks, but so do the other options) and if we're saying it's more a medium killer it's competition becomes the AC and GL, both of which have a major upside of being able to kill fabs/holes and also compete on ammo and backpack.

I love the feeling of the Railgun, but honestly I feel like it's stuck in the limbo of being the jack that doesn't quite do the things it needs to well enough when every other option trades ability in one area that the railgun has, does the other area better, and gets to do a thing that the railgun can't.

Agree with this. Especially against bugs. Railgun kills medium enemies but kinda slowly and it kills Chargers but not bile titans. 2x leg shots against Chargers puts it on footing with arc thrower and flamethrower

flamethrower is faster vs chargers and mediums at the cost of range
arc thrower is slower vs chargers (6 shots or so) but is great at clearing small and medium bugs

railgun just feels worse than those two. It needs more utility to be on even footing. Either have it be like 6-8 shots to kill a bile titan or make it somehow better against mediums and smalls.

It’s hard to justify a slot for “can kill some chargers worse and with less utility than the other medium supp weapons or the AT weapons” since the medium enemies can be killed with the good primary weapons. It would be better to take arc, flamethrower, or dedicated AT.

Situation seems different against bots so if they don’t touch railgun i guess it’s a bots-only weapon.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Beautifully executed parody

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Slyphic posted:

Beautifully executed parody

settle down

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I tend to tag my shield+quasar on the map when I lose them, so I can easily find them. However yesterday I did that and a dude 1 meter in front of me picked it up when I got there. I wasn't really sure if it was mine or not so I didn't do anything.

Has anyone had this happen before, and did you stop tagging your stuff on the map as a response? I can start doing that, but tagging the stuff on the map is super useful if the place is full of enemies.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Your stuff you dropped on death is automatically yellow on the map so you can tell that its yours.

if you tag things you're drawing everyones attention to them so its pretty normal to think you're offering them to people

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

redreader posted:

I tend to tag my shield+quasar on the map when I lose them, so I can easily find them. However yesterday I did that and a dude 1 meter in front of me picked it up when I got there. I wasn't really sure if it was mine or not so I didn't do anything.

Has anyone had this happen before, and did you stop tagging your stuff on the map as a response? I can start doing that, but tagging the stuff on the map is super useful if the place is full of enemies.

A tag with nothing else could mean drat near anything. I've tried to give backpacks to people without them before and they either don't speak or read English or have all comms turned off and don't get it. I've been team killed because I picked up 'their' thing by accident and didn't drop it fast enough.

Write it off as a fluke, use more voice comms. The tags and emotes aren't bad, but they're still not that good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

redreader posted:

Never done this unless my intention was to tell someone they can take my weapon which I have done before because I had an extra one or something. I would probably just not do that if it leads to people taking it. Or ask them to give it back. Or just call another one down.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

redreader posted:

I'd assume you were tagging it to let me know it was available.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Your stuff you dropped on death is automatically yellow on the map so you can tell that its yours.
support weapon, but not backpack, and not all the time. Maybe the yellow highlight times out?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

causticBeet posted:

Tuning weapons down until the current 9 is only cleared by 1% of players or whatever sure would be a way to make your game is wildly unfun.

Why not just not play 9s and play the difficulty you find fun? That would leave the top difficulty for people who want to play like that.

redreader posted:

Every time I have ever tagged something like that it was to let other players know where it was and that it was okay to take. And it's not uncommon at all if my cool down time is are over and I see somebody doesn't have a backpack or call in secondary. I'll call them down and tag them. People usually pick them up.

Ravenfood posted:

I'd assume you were tagging it to let me know it was available.
100% agree with this

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If sprinting on a dead Bile titan kills me 95% of the time, a Bile titan that walks over a dead helldiver should die some of the time

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Diligence CS is sweet now. Liking it a ton vs bots.

Adjudicator... not so much

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, this would rule

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

in my recollection, they would only do that if you somehow restricted their access to you entirely (up on a cliff or maybe dead titan legs?)

Yeah last night I was standing on a small rocky outcropping that the bugs couldn't climb up on and a hive guard decided to dig up to me, and one of my friends said they were always able to do that, just that it was the first time I'd ever experienced it.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 1, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't even know what the Adjudicator is for. We already have the (bad) Liberator Penetrator.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't even know what the Adjudicator is for. We already have the (bad) Liberator Penetrator.

Yeah this is my problem with the Adjudicator. It has no real niche at all. Firing on full-auto is too wasteful, it's too inaccurate, and its increased damage means little. One of my friends swears by it but I just haven't been able to find a good use for it. It either needs a larger magazine size or better handling.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I guess I'm one of the only people who thought the adjudicator's great.

I feel like it fills a spot like so:

Liberator: +0 range +0 pen +0 handling
Liberator Penetrator: +0 range +1 pen -1 Handling
Adjudicator: +1 range +1 pen -2 handling

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm sure the "normal" medium bugs (Warriors?) can dig up (stupid) too

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

jokes posted:

if you don't have the handling then range doesn't help

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Slyphic posted:

Chargers that change their behavior due to damage state would be cool. Dying to one lost leg is lame. Almost as lame as dying to one hit to the sloped heavily armored front plate.

Chargers should be tankier, fewer spawning but harder to kill. Shooting off both front legs so it gives up and 'dies' but when one is down it moves slower, breaking the armor and dumping into the wounded spot, going Olé and firing into the unarmored rear but it turns around faster, weak under belly so going prone does more damage but makes you easier to roadkill, there's tons of ways of making fighting a charger more satisfying an experience.

But yeeting an EAT into one from the front they helpfully turn towards you and then they just stop is boring as gently caress. Pop the armor on a leg and pour bullets into it was only marginally better. It's why I stopped packing EATs/never took railguns/won't take the queso; I'm not here to optimally win in the most boring way possible.

This line of reasoning only applies under ideal conditions which are: you have an EAT armed and the Charger is un-aggressed or you've managed to aggress it from a comfortable standoff distance.

Let's see how easy you think it is to pull that off when the Charger's chasing your friend down or you're in close quarters with it or (more likely) you're also getting chased by a swarm of little guys at the same time.

That being said I agree that legging a Charger shouldn't kill it; instead it should start the bleed out timer and the Charger now has reduced mobility, but still tries to go after the players and each additional leg removal speeds up the bleed out timer.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm a fan of the Adjudicator. In a lot of ways its the gun the lib pen should have been (rip lib pen, can't even get an aligned image in the armory).

The Adjudicator is not as good at killing medium targets as like the dominator, but it lacks the dominators downsides; it can quite adequately sweep up some trash in between popping mediums. it can pop devastator heads or mag dump them in a pinch depending on the situation. it honestly didn't change much in the patch. you had to use recoil armor before for it to be decent, now you don't. it could probably use a liiiiiittle more damage, or a slightly bigger mag so that mag dumps reliably kill mediums but otherwise its in a decent place.

IMO it's a gun you take with heavy AT that is flexible at dealing with all light/medium targets; taking a more specialized gun like the dominator or sickle makes you struggle against some enemies.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 1, 2024

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I wanna like the adjudicator but the small magazine size feels real bad for the damage it does. It sounds great though. But for my AR needs I will continue to stick with the basic Liberator and the Sickle

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Adjudicator is good for crunching up devastators, brood commanders, and hive guards imo

Concussive liberator would be good enough to use if the damage was enough to one-shot scavengers (and also I would love it). It "feels" perfect to me.

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 1, 2024

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

jokes posted:

I tried it the day it was introduced on bot helldives and I was a huge liability. It handled like crap for the (very) little damage it was putting out and I had to hit light bots multiple times to kill them.

I’ll take your word that it works for you after its buff. I’ll stick to the bread and butter guns like the sickle / breaker / lib / defender / plasma gun

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

BitBasher posted:

Why not just not play 9s and play the difficulty you find fun? That would leave the top difficulty for people who want to play like that.

This has been confusing me since day one. I see so many people talking like the game is being/should be balanced for difficulty 9, and maintaining a “play on 9 or bust” mentality. The devs keep saying over and over they didn’t intend for this. Pleading for our understanding. Even going as far as to say they were horrified that people were beating and even soloing their hardest difficulty within the first week of launch. They’ve been clear that 9 was supposed to be a monumental challenge, like what static MMO raid groups take on. This is the only game I know where the majority of people don't consider the most extreme difficulty setting to be something reserved for masochists. 9 is two above 7 which is literally named “suicide” for fucks sakes. No one should be surprised when they keep adjusting things to push 9 further out of reach, but consistently seem to be regardless?

Like, I’m proud enough that my current level is being able to duo 7s when a friend and I lock it in and tryhard. I didn’t grow up playing shooters, I grew up on The Sims. I plan to try duo 8s tonight in an effort to unlock 9 but I fully expect it to go poorly and I’m fine with that. That’s what difficulty selection is for in the first place. 9 (and probably 8 if I’m honest) should be out of reach for me unless I practice enough to become esports tier, or hate myself more. I get that people probably resent the ego deflation after feeling like gods for making the hardest difficulty their go to default. Is that all this is though? Or is there something else to it? At this rate they’re going to have to give up trying to reason with the community and add difficulty 11.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
some people get very personally invested in whether or not they can beat the hardest configuration of a game for some reason

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

jokes posted:

Concussive liberator would be good enough to use if the damage was enough to one-shot scavengers (and also I would love it). It "feels" perfect to me.
*Firm nod* I love the feel and sound of firing it. Just up the damage a bit more and make it explosive.

Infidelicious posted:

A giant scorcher that needed backpack in exchange for a recharging pool of ammo would be sick.
I see you there trying to get them to add a weapon that's just the AC with infinite ammo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

please do give me the laser (or electric) autocannon yes 100%

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Wachter posted:

I could swear i have seen the scouts do it even

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sindai posted:

*Firm nod* I love the feel and sound of firing it. Just up the damage a bit more and make it explosive.

It's one of the only weapons that scratches the same itch as the mattock from Mass Effect

I honestly have no idea how to make it worth using. Maybe if I bring the laser dog to "finish off" enemies?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Primary weapon wishlist:

A second Senator :blastu:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Away all Goats posted:

Primary weapon wishlist:

The Representative

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Cheap Shot posted:

This has been confusing me since day one. I see so many people talking like the game is being/should be balanced for difficulty 9, and maintaining a “play on 9 or bust” mentality. The devs keep saying over and over they didn’t intend for this. Pleading for our understanding. Even going as far as to say they were horrified that people were beating and even soloing their hardest difficulty within the first week of launch. They’ve been clear that 9 was supposed to be a monumental challenge, like what static MMO raid groups take on. This is the only game I know where the majority of people don't consider the most extreme difficulty setting to be something reserved for masochists. 9 is two above 7 which is literally named “suicide” for fucks sakes. No one should be surprised when they keep adjusting things to push 9 further out of reach, but consistently seem to be regardless?

Like, I’m proud enough that my current level is being able to duo 7s when a friend and I lock it in and tryhard. I didn’t grow up playing shooters, I grew up on The Sims. I plan to try duo 8s tonight in an effort to unlock 9 but I fully expect it to go poorly and I’m fine with that. That’s what difficulty selection is for in the first place. 9 (and probably 8 if I’m honest) should be out of reach for me unless I practice enough to become esports tier, or hate myself more. I get that people probably resent the ego deflation after feeling like gods for making the hardest difficulty their go to default. Is that all this is though? Or is there something else to it? At this rate they’re going to have to give up trying to reason with the community and add difficulty 11.

I mean they probably will have to add additional difficulties at some point like Helldivers 1.

I think the other part of it is just human psychology, you won't miss what you never had but you will miss something that gets taken away. 9 in Helldivers isn't even that hard in the grand scheme of things, it seems far easier than Damnation in Darktide. People want to progress and do the hardest content, if that content changes from a do it every day activity to a do it once to say you did activity, people will complain because it changed. That's all sort of normal.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Wachter posted:

hard to tell since they 'dig up' when summoned by the brood commander

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Away all Goats posted:

Primary weapon wishlist:

And Helldivers hold them sideways gangsta style.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

facialimpediment posted:

The Representative

In that case, I want a weapon called The Committee Chair that's just a steel chair.

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah last night I was standing on a small rocky outcropping that the bugs couldn't climb up on and a hive guard decided to dig up to me, and one of my friends said they were always able to do that, just that it was the first time I'd ever experienced it.

Man, speaking of rocky outcroppings I wonder if the devs ever had this thought...

Imagine four Helldivers on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the Helldiver nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Helldivers and take the place of the first Helldiver. The formerly first Helldiver becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Reinforcing Helldivers works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Away all Goats posted:

Primary weapon wishlist:

Founding Fathers warbond

Primary Weapons:
"Bicameral Legislature"
2x Senators, each with 2 cylinders