Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Florentines are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bonster posted:

I don't believe you!

Post the recipe. For proof.

Those sound so good
Here's the recipe (basically something I stole from the internet and added coconut to). They really need to rest for a full 24 hours before they're good though (they aren't at all good right out of the oven imo)

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup oil or butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients.
Combine wet ingredients/sugar and cream them. Mix with dry ingredients. Add oatmeal and coconut.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

artsy fartsy posted:

I can't focus on cookie chat when there's a goon on the loose that needs to be given a product number when sent out to buy a goddamn toilet plunger

no she asked if i could "stop at the store and get her something." verbatim.

so i went to home depot and looked for the dumbest possible object. it was that or a toilet seat.

(i also picked her up som white claws on the way home which i assumed she wanted but hell if i was going to present those first)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Yeah. I just saw that. Now is that 250 invited guests or 250 confirmed guests? Because those numbers will be far different. I feel like OP is leaving out so much detail in this post. She's wrong in her information. According to her, the information future DIL is conveying is wrong.

I'm biased against her just from how she starts out the post with "my future DIL wants to get close to me, I don't like that." It could be argued that maybe future DIL is blowing past boundaries, but we also don't know how long the engagement has been. OP's son is 32. She's 29. How long have they been together? If they've only been together a year, sure, I can totally understand still warming up to her. But if they've been together for many years, then OP is just being rude imo. "I don’t know, she is from there and my son moved up there." makes me wonder how much effort she has put into getting to know her future DIL.

Basically - my view is that there is not enough information to definitively decide, but based off the information provided, OP reads as someone who is generally cold toward future DIL even before this weird miscommunication.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 1, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The OP doesn't want to marry the cookie lady, she owes her gently caress-all. Jesus christ you people. If the shoe was on the other foot, none of you goobers would be siding with anyone except the OP.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

no she asked if i could "stop at the store and get her something." verbatim.

so i went to home depot and looked for the dumbest possible object. it was that or a toilet seat.

(i also picked her up som white claws on the way home which i assumed she wanted but hell if i was going to present those first)
lol

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The OP doesn't want to marry the cookie lady, she owes her gently caress-all. Jesus christ you people. If the shoe was on the other foot, none of you goobers would be siding with anyone except the OP.
Yeah if it was the MIL trying to force a relationship people would be furious at her

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i would make a thousand cookies for you
maybe more

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ominous Jazz posted:

maybe more

Yeah but I'm delightful.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I would buy 100 boxes of

Lmao http://www.salmiyuck.com/2010/02/black-domino-salmiakki-chili-cookies.html?m=1

(I'll admit that I went searching for them thinking there was a possibility that they were a black licorice oreo variant)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crispy cookies are bad and might as well be crackers. I will be accepting no questions on this topic.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

drat you guys are really mad about a cookie table

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Your continued disrespect of Ohio has consequences. You will have to face Jim "Gym" Jordan on the wrestling mat.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
MIL & DIL cookie story is the inverse of the 'step-parent wanting to replace absent parent, pushing too hard, and making it weird' story. If it's valid for a kid to not want to call the step 'mom', it should be just as ok for the new in-laws not to want to be considered parents and put a boundary down.

Blended familial relationships are a delicate thing and you can't just (metaphorically) say to someone, 'I am lonely and want a mom, youre my mom now, be my mom' and push it on them, any more than someone can say to a kid 'I am lonely and want a child, I'm your mom now, be my child' and expect it to work out well.

What happens then is the person being pursued (and their boundaries ignored) feels constricted and reflexively moves away from their pursuer and starts being avoidant, driving a wedge into things and damning them to a growing separation rather than bringing the parties closer together. It can only be fixed by the pursuer apologizing and backing off, and trying to reset the relationship from a place where they respect the other person's boundaries and let the other person lead how the relationship develops - which means that it may not, and the pursuer may also have to accept that.

While it is reasonable to want to feel welcomed into the family by one's MIL, it is not reasonable to demand to be considered one of her own children.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 1, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ominous Jazz posted:

maybe more

But I would bake 500 cookies
and I would bake 500 more
Just to be the mom who baked 1000
cookies that weren't bought from the store

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

snergle posted:

op how much league do you play and was the girls name lux?

From pages back, but just wanted to say sorry, not me! :)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sometimes when I'm busy for a few hours and don't have a chance to check on the thread I see there are a hundred posts waiting for me and I don't know if I'm walking into a fight about child abuse or cookie tables.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

haveblue posted:

Da Da Da Daa

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Sometimes when I'm busy for a few hours and don't have a chance to check on the thread I see there are a hundred posts waiting for me and I don't know if I'm walking into a fight about child abuse or cookie tables.

Schrodinger's Derail

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

haveblue posted:

The probation crusade against song parodies in this thread is funny. The speed at which they are meted out is impressive.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it's not just this thread it's anywhere I can get at them in GBS

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

The cookie tables was such a perfect cross of food and dysfunctional family that I hesitated before posting.
Then I posted, because obviously I did.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it's not just this thread it's anywhere I can get at them in GBS

Bless you

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

encores are safe

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

encores are safe

What about critiquing their scansion and offering suggestions?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Better yet, just post the Ninja Turtle generator over and over.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Wedding party standing around me horrified. "Those cookies were for everyone!"

I have never felt such shame.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
weird al is banned in gbs

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

My Spirit Otter posted:

weird al is banned in gbs

the difference between song parody posts and what weird al does is that weird al owns

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Better yet, just post the Ninja Turtle generator over and over.

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Unfuck my crush, say I'll fix your guitar
Someone missed this song parody, if there are probes being handed out.

Also re: "degen", having played a bunch of poker in the 2000s, that's always the connotation I think of it in, degenerate gamblers.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
A 6 hour probe is nothing, but it's weird when some rando stumbles into this thread to enforce rules that never existed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pure rusinaa, mummo!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

A 6 hour probe is nothing, but it's weird when some rando stumbles into this thread to enforce rules that never existed.

As far as a mod going mad with power goes, this is pretty benign though.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

A Moose posted:

As far as a mod going mad with power goes, this is pretty benign though.

its just really tedious when some new random unannounced rule from some other thread goes forum wide without announcement because ???.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay, but what cookies are best to put in a go bag?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

it's a sixer who cares. pick up a football.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like arbitrary 6ers, they bring back that mild level of forums chaos that makes for a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah its the mods that don't hand out random 6ers that you gotta watch