Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

rotor posted:

in 1998 or whatever getting apache running on windows was not the simplest thing ever

istr running o'reilly website on win95 without reading whitepapers or emulating cisco routers around 1998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

rotor posted:

which is the real reason he couldn't stand up a simple webservice without a lot of effort, leading him to just roll his own telnet clone

He also did not do that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

in 1998 or whatever getting apache running on windows was not the simplest thing ever

no but you could use frontpage (which iirc came with office at the time) to spin up a pseudo-IIS instance lol, even on 9x

i wonder if they were using NT (knowing elon, probably not). but if so NT 4 had a pretty easy to use server edition too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

gschmidl posted:

He also did not do that.

yep i don't believe elon did any of those things. maybe he told other people to do them, but i really doubt he did it himself

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
reminder: elon couldn't set up windows 11 on his own

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Beeftweeter posted:

no but you could use frontpage (which iirc came with office at the time) to spin up a pseudo-IIS instance lol, even on 9x

i wonder if they were using NT (knowing elon, probably not). but if so NT 4 had a pretty easy to use server edition too

didn't he get ousted from paypal because he insisted on running the backend on Windows NT instead of Linux?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

DarkSol posted:

didn't he get ousted from paypal because he insisted on running the backend on Windows NT instead of Linux?

not sure it was nt specifically but he did insist windows to be supreme because all the games ran on windows therefore it was the better os

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

but it... is a dumpster :confused:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

4lokos basilisk posted:

not sure it was nt specifically but he did insist windows to be supreme because all the games ran on windows therefore it was the better os

it was because he couldn't find any key crackers for linux

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I know this is a wild, controversial take - and may get me in trouble - but I do not in fact think elon is 'good with computers' at all.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

some kinda jackal posted:

but it... is a dumpster :confused:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

I know this is a wild, controversial take - and may get me in trouble - but I do not in fact think elon is 'good with computers' at all.
#wow #whoa

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

is boeris carbomb still playing his mummy on twitter

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

you have said the actual truth

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FAUXTON posted:

is boeris carbomb still playing his mummy on twitter

Maybe! We'll find out during this Meltdown Maye. I hope this is the last time I can make this joke because he won't be here next May.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

gtfo

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

4lokos basilisk posted:

I suspect it's because it was interesting at the time and relatively easy to use. But like pretty much all the kinda people who would have worked at paypal in those days would have told him no. One anecdote is out there that he annoyed an engineer into agreeing to an armwrestling match to settle the issue, won, was still told no and then did it anyhow.

He somehow thought an 8 year old OS that was just catching on was supposed to do better than an 18 year old OS (solaris) running on tailored hardware that he already paid for.

It's so dumb that if it wasn't about Elon Musk and wasn't confirmed by multiple sources, you'd assume to be the typical "the idiot MBA thought it was a cup holder!" story that nerds like to make up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

i actually ran an apache server on windows in 1998, as a 13 year old. assuming you were functionally literate and had a grade school education, it was possible to do on 9x and nt4

it just wasn't point and click and you had to manually edit your httpd.conf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

iirc it was actually a bit harder to get a public facing webserver running on iis using 9x, but nt4 was easier. the licensing sucked though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

DaTroof posted:

istr running o'reilly website on win95 without reading whitepapers or emulating cisco routers around 1998

yeah no that is horseshit, i'm just sayin that at that point in time it was easier to just write thing that listened on a port than it was to set up a real webserver

gschmidl posted:

He also did not do that.

implementing a lovely telnet is insanely easy

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah but he wanted it do actually DO THINGS not just serve pages so i can imagine that just writing a lovely little network client is easier.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i actually ran an apache server on windows in 1998, as a 13 year old. assuming you were functionally literate and had a grade school education, it was possible to do on 9x and nt4

it just wasn't point and click and you had to manually edit your httpd.conf

really? maybe i'm remembering dates wrong.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

rotor posted:

implementing a lovely telnet is insanely easy

I know. He implemented nothing.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

4lokos basilisk posted:

isn’t http on port 80 by default/convention though?

this was back in the HTTP/0.9 / HTTP/1.0-draft days when the early commercial internet was the total wild west, people can and did run production web poo poo on port 8080. you just stick the :8080 in the URL and it works

especially since name-based virtual hosting (Host header is HTTP/1.1) and Server Name Indication didn't come until much later

that reminds me, this was also years before people figured out you could do crazy poo poo like use browsers to send spam by connecting directly to port 25

https://www-archive.mozilla.org/projects/netlib/portbanning

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

really? maybe i'm remembering dates wrong.

apache 1.x and up to i think 2.2 supported 9x and nt. i didn't try it on 95, but 98 and nt4 both worked, you did need to rtfm though

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

shackleford posted:

this was back in the HTTP/0.9 / HTTP/1.0-draft days when the early commercial internet was the total wild west, people can and did run production web poo poo on port 8080. you just stick the :8080 in the URL and it works

especially since name-based virtual hosting (Host header is HTTP/1.1) and Server Name Indication didn't come until much later

that reminds me, this was also years before people figured out you could do crazy poo poo like use browsers to send spam by connecting directly to port 25

right, but you did not go to google.com:8080, you went to google.com, meaning that there was a thing - some kind of web thing, that served your computer a response based on the http request it sent out, listening on port 80 somewhere in the google datacenter

not sure elons made up brag stories are worth this much attention to detail, though

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

4lokos basilisk posted:

right, but you did not go to google.com:8080, you went to google.com, meaning that there was a thing - some kind of web thing, that served your computer a response based on the http request it sent out, listening on port 80 somewhere in the google datacenter

not sure elons made up brag stories are worth this much attention to detail, though

yeah but like maybe you went to maps.google.com and it loaded a bunch of images from maps1.google.com:8080 or whatever

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

shackleford posted:

Those days were sweet because you could come up with an exploit as a random intrusive thought. I wish I could tunnel packets through time and terrorize midlife boomers in the 90s.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

Exclusive: Tesla retreats from next-generation ‘gigacasting’ manufacturing process

AUSTIN, Texas, May 1 (Reuters) - Tesla (TSLA.O), opens new tab has backed away from an ambitious plan for innovations in gigacasting, its pioneering manufacturing process, according to two sources familiar with the matter, in another sign that the electric-vehicle maker is retrenching amid falling sales and rising competition.

Tesla has been a leader in gigacasting, a cutting-edge technique that uses huge presses with thousands of tons of clamping pressure to die-cast large sections of the car’s underbody. On a typical vehicle, the underbody can consist of hundreds of individual parts.

Last year, as Tesla developed a new small-vehicle platform, it aimed to punch out the underbody in a single piece, Reuters exclusively reported last September, citing five sources familiar with the automaker’s gigacasting operations. The long-term goal was to radically simplify manufacturing and slash costs.

But Tesla has since halted the effort, opting to stick with its more proven method of casting vehicle underbodies in three pieces: two gigacasted front and rear sections and a midsection made of aluminum and steel frames to store batteries, according to the two sources familiar with the matter. That is largely the same three-piece method the company has used for its last two new models, the Model Y crossover SUV and the Cybertruck pickup.

Tesla’s retreat from one-piece gigacasting has not been previously reported. The automaker did not respond to a request for comment.
The decision to hold off on the potential manufacturing breakthrough marks another example of Tesla slashing short-term spending as it adjusts to falling sales and profit margins, softening EV demand globally, and intensifying competition from rival EV makers such as China’s BYD (002594.SZ), opens new tab.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-retreats-next-generation-gigacasting-manufacturing-process-2024-05-01/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

4lokos basilisk posted:

a few sites did. i remember some big corporation, maybe ibm? using :8080 addresses for a lot of poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hahahaha

no "unboxed" production huh

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I believe him that he wrote a lovely web server in 95 or whatever because it is an Elon signature optimization at the wrong level; whatever you gained from making GBS threads out a few bytes faster than ncsa httpd by yeeting syscalls is not gonna pay for the egr time to build or maintain that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i had not heard of this process before and maybe you hadnt either so heres a thing
https://www.spglobal.com/mobility/en/research-analysis/gigacasting-the-hottest-trend-in-car-manufacturing.html

tl;dr basically huge, really complex aluminum castings instead of a bunch of subassemblies. sounds neat until you think of what happens if part of the casting is damaged.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
[*LATEST FAD]

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rotor posted:

i had not heard of this process before and maybe you hadnt either so heres a thing
https://www.spglobal.com/mobility/en/research-analysis/gigacasting-the-hottest-trend-in-car-manufacturing.html

tl;dr basically huge, really complex aluminum castings instead of a bunch of subassemblies. sounds neat until you think of what happens if part of the casting is damaged.

surprise surprise there's a reason no one has bothered

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Seems like a great way to tip over insurance claims into totals when they otherwise wouldn't be, in a time where there's waiting lists for cars a mile long.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

surprise surprise there's a reason no one has bothered

idk the article says that a lot of chinese mfgrs are adopting it. not sure if thats a good sign or what tho i guess

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

tesla's been an american ploy to bait china into poor manufacturing techniques all along, masterful

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Nfcknblvbl posted:

tesla's been an american ploy to bait china into poor manufacturing techniques all along, masterful

epic puppetmast'ry on a global scale

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rotor posted:

wtf Lego cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

eh just back into the feed hopper. remelt and recast it. i'm sure aluminum isnt energy intensive to re-cast