Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

jokes posted:

Founding Fathers warbond

if we ever get melee enhancers, I'd recommend a truncheon as a Liberty Stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

yeah pretty sure warriors and the brood commander(?) can dig p. i dropped onto a hill that was unclimbable surrounded by a bunch of bug patrols, i started shooting and throwing my impacts when all of a sudden a warrior popped up to where i was. i shot it but still was a bit of a jump scare kinda thing.

i think bugs also have some amount of traversing since i've seen them go up some hills

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cheap Shot posted:

This has been confusing me since day one. I see so many people talking like the game is being/should be balanced for difficulty 9, and maintaining a “play on 9 or bust” mentality. The devs keep saying over and over they didn’t intend for this. Pleading for our understanding. Even going as far as to say they were horrified that people were beating and even soloing their hardest difficulty within the first week of launch. They’ve been clear that 9 was supposed to be a monumental challenge, like what static MMO raid groups take on. This is the only game I know where the majority of people don't consider the most extreme difficulty setting to be something reserved for masochists. 9 is two above 7 which is literally named “suicide” for fucks sakes. No one should be surprised when they keep adjusting things to push 9 further out of reach, but consistently seem to be regardless?

Like, I’m proud enough that my current level is being able to duo 7s when a friend and I lock it in and tryhard. I didn’t grow up playing shooters, I grew up on The Sims. I plan to try duo 8s tonight in an effort to unlock 9 but I fully expect it to go poorly and I’m fine with that. That’s what difficulty selection is for in the first place. 9 (and probably 8 if I’m honest) should be out of reach for me unless I practice enough to become esports tier, or hate myself more. I get that people probably resent the ego deflation after feeling like gods for making the hardest difficulty their go to default. Is that all this is though? Or is there something else to it? At this rate they’re going to have to give up trying to reason with the community and add difficulty 11.

the overwhelming majority of people almost certainly don't care about difficulty 9. what you're seeing are just temporarily embarrassed god gamers and they've been around forever. the funniest variations of the genre are always the posts that start with "I'm a dad of two kids" or "i work 40 hours a week" or "i'm a 45 year old retired veteran" to rationalize why the following demand that the game be made easier doesn't mean that they're just bad or entitled or whatever

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 1, 2024

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Arrowhead, gimme a sticky C4 I can throw with remote detonation, come on!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
7 is the highest level needed to unlock everything, so the highest level that needs to be reasonably playable (maybe something like >50% wins by an average team of level 20+) is 7, and considering I usually just quickmatch into games on 7 and win like 95%+ of the time we're already hitting that just fine

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://i.imgur.com/cO1VlsY.mp4
grabbed from discord, sound on

Cheap Shot posted:

This has been confusing me since day one. I see so many people talking like the game is being/should be balanced for difficulty 9, and maintaining a “play on 9 or bust” mentality. The devs keep saying over and over they didn’t intend for this. Pleading for our understanding. Even going as far as to say they were horrified that people were beating and even soloing their hardest difficulty within the first week of launch. They’ve been clear that 9 was supposed to be a monumental challenge, like what static MMO raid groups take on. This is the only game I know where the majority of people don't consider the most extreme difficulty setting to be something reserved for masochists. 9 is two above 7 which is literally named “suicide” for fucks sakes.
I don't think that's unusual at all. In every co-op game I've played most of the players who're really into the game play on the highest difficulty. This is no different, I'm sure most players are hovering at around 5-7 but the people who're really into the game and playing a ton are more likely to be up at 9.
They've said that they intended helldives to be insanely hard to beat but that just isn't the case in reality. I can tell you with 100% confidence that if you can beat duo 7s, with a bit of practice you can beat 9s.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Arishtat posted:

Let's see how easy you think it is to pull that off
Easier than a pack of Hunters. I mostly play bug-8s with pubbies, and it is effortlessly easy to grab an EAT from the ground while surrounded and nail chargers in the forehead. Feels like I'm above 80% chance to get a one-EAT-kill on any given charger. The only 'challenge' is when we run out of the instant 'apply directly to the forehead' solution.

Away all Goats posted:

Primary weapon wishlist
A second option for SMG. I love my Defender, but come on, it's all by its lonesome in its category.

turn off the TV posted:

the overwhelming majority of people almost certainly don't care about difficulty 9.
Can't recall having seen it, but has AH ever mentioned the breakdown of activity by level?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

BitBasher posted:

Why not just not play 9s and play the difficulty you find fun? That would leave the top difficulty for people who want to play like that.

Cheap Shot posted:

This has been confusing me since day one. I see so many people talking like the game is being/should be balanced for difficulty 9, and maintaining a “play on 9 or bust” mentality. The devs keep saying over and over they didn’t intend for this. Pleading for our understanding. Even going as far as to say they were horrified that people were beating and even soloing their hardest difficulty within the first week of launch. They’ve been clear that 9 was supposed to be a monumental challenge, like what static MMO raid groups take on. This is the only game I know where the majority of people don't consider the most extreme difficulty setting to be something reserved for masochists. 9 is two above 7 which is literally named “suicide” for fucks sakes. No one should be surprised when they keep adjusting things to push 9 further out of reach, but consistently seem to be regardless?

Love to have this difficulty conversation re-ignited. First quote seems to not understand what is being said, which is that balancing to make 9s harder will have the knock on effect of making the rest of the game worse especially if its balance changes that affect stratagems or weapons. Telling someone to just "not play 9s" when they are saying balancing to make 9s virtually impossible would also make the rest of the difficulties worse is impressive missing the point.

Now for the second quote. Lets just set aside what the devs have said about difficulty 9 and their expectations on completing the mode. If the devs are surprised that a percentage of people who are good at games are beating their difficulty they're stupid. Helldivers is not some actually insane video game requiring super intense skill. I'd say the biggest barrier for difficulties and stuff (because the enemies don't actually increase in power) is being able to concentrate in a chaotic situation and focus on what needs to get done to win. Raids get beat day 1-3 and eventual go on farm mode. There is no way 9 difficulty is actually supposed to have been some impossible challenge. I honestly think their quotes about 9s is just chinwag PR stuff.

I would wager if we saw the data the vast majority of the playerbase does not play or beat difficulty 9, it IS a monumental challenge for the majority of the playerbase. Those same players who would have their gameplay experience worsened if there was vast general balancing done in an attempt to make 9s more impossible. I would hope AH is smart enough to push the difficulties tiers beyond 9 (like in HD1) than try to balance around 9s.

I also don't understand the masochist comment. I think many gamers play games on the hardest difficulties? Darktide has a low population, but you can always get games on the "hardest" difficulties. I would take it the other way and say that very few games have difficulties that are not realistically meant to be challenged and beaten.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2024

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Slyphic posted:

A second option for SMG. I love my Defender, but come on, it's all by its lonesome in its category.

Technically the Knight's there too, but it's trash.

Datamined: Be happy, because the next warbond will have a Defender variant!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The knight is nowhere near trash. It's not like, ideal, but it's crazy to call it trash.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
speaking of the 9's difficulty: I had 2 colleagues who were super good at helldivers 1. We would do difficulty 9 helldives after working up from 3 or so when we started. We'd been playing for a year. It was always a giant shitshow especially when extracting!

Anyway, I was good and could do 9's in a good team. Now when you invade the home planet of the bots or bugs (and presumably illuminate) there were also bosses. In my over a year of playing, I saw bosses one or two times (the automaton giant tank with a human head? boss?) and I did NOT kill them, I remember basically getting one-shotted a lot or dying instantly for some reason. I can only imagine the level of salt that'll happen when more or less unkillable bosses are introduced.

I'm also waiting for the tentacles-through-the-earth bugs to appear and piss everyone off a lot 'I got killed from behind cover!'

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

turn off the TV posted:

the overwhelming majority of people almost certainly don't care about difficulty 9. what you're seeing are just temporarily embarrassed god gamers and they've been around forever. the funniest variations of the genre are always the posts that start with "I'm a dad of two kids" or "i work 40 hours a week" or "i'm a 45 year old retired veteran" to rationalize why the following demand that the game be made easier doesn't mean that they're just bad or entitled or whatever

These old veteran bones of mine just want to enjoy a relaxing helldive with my two kids after a long day of walmart greeting. I didn’t survive ‘Nam to be told the Quazar recharges 5 seconds slower!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Hunters are by far the most dangerous bug enemy if they get within leaping distance and even one can easily just attack you to death faster then you can stim.

Everything else you can just dodge or outrun or with bile titans and chargers just lose them around a corner when not blowing their heads off, bile spewers even move slower this patch so you can outrun those before the vomit melts you, but even one hunter getting through the lines of fire while you are distracted by the other targets is sometimes a death sentence.

But if you are prepared to handle hunters before they get close you basically have nothing to worry about on difficulty 9 bugs besides some unexpected 1 shots like a bile titan corpse flying in the air and landing on you, just hold down shift+w and you are invincible.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

LazyMaybe posted:

The knight is nowhere near trash. It's not like, ideal, but it's crazy to call it trash.
Yeah, I've complained about it before, but it's still perfectly usable as a weapon. Really the only thing I think it needs is to get a full refill on resupply (if they didn't silently fix that yet, haven't had the opportunity to check yet) and maybe 1 or 2 extra mags. The extra mags may seem excessive but it's a very wasteful gun by its nature and it feels like the most ammo starved of the "normal" trash-killing light AP primaries. Though maybe it won't even need it if you got all your ammo back with a resupply I dunno.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Balancing 9 is an unenviable task because I know when me and my chucklehead friends in discord do one we go in knowing and wanting it to be a completely desperate shitshow from start to finish and probably doomed from the drop, but there are a lot of people out there who want to slam the meta picks and run through them with pubbies not even on voice comms because -- well, a lot of reasons that I could strawman I guess.

It's a psychology thing, compounded by the people on Reddit or wherever that will tell you that you can't have an opinion on weapon balance if you don't play all 9's all day every day. So even those that don't really care to slam their genitals in car doors do feel some pressure to hit that button so they can be on even footing.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Balancing helldive is actually really good. I've been trying out and using a lot of different loadouts for a while. Almost everything is viable.

Except the airburst launcher. That thing sucks rear end.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is it to much to ask for akimbo pistols? I want to play out my John Woo movie fantasy against the xeno scum :colbert:.

Fake Edit: Every time you dive backwards shooting the akimbo pistols, doves randomly fly out from behind you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I wouldn't mind Hellboy's Revolver (The Samaritan I think?) as a primary or hell, even a support. You could hold down Reload to toggle modes, maybe explosive and armor piercing?

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Fix DoT bugs and introduce more chemical weapons alongside that. I want to have a big backpack full of cartoon green acid to compliment my sci-fi super soaker.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think the way to go is to add more difficulties as they add more enemies. Like say they add hive lords, they become their own mission type on 7/8/9, but become regular enemies with increasing frequency on 10/11/12. I really like how each individual enemy is the same on every difficulty, so it's just about what types you're facing and how many. Plus adding more side objectives etc. I think that will allow them to get to a point where the hardest difficulty really is almost impossible without an extremely coordinated team, without making people whine too much.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I think the way to go is to add more difficulties as they add more enemies. Like say they add hive lords, they become their own mission type on 7/8/9, but become regular enemies with increasing frequency on 10/11/12. I really like how each individual enemy is the same on every difficulty, so it's just about what types you're facing and how many. Plus adding more side objectives etc. I think that will allow them to get to a point where the hardest difficulty really is almost impossible without an extremely coordinated team, without making people whine too much.

I was watching a youtube run of HD1 15 difficulty to refresh my memory and its of course a lot of enemies, but also you have to complete like 9 objectives to extract. Every objective in HD increases the chances of your team spiraling out, so yea I think thats the way to go.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Jerkface posted:

Love to have this difficulty conversation re-ignited. First quote seems to not understand what is being said, which is that balancing to make 9s harder will have the knock on effect of making the rest of the game worse especially if its balance changes that affect stratagems or weapons. Telling someone to just "not play 9s" when they are saying balancing to make 9s virtually impossible would also make the rest of the difficulties worse is impressive missing the point.

It’s a bit moot on either side of that argument regardless because as far as I can tell the devs absolutely aren’t making gear balance changes with the goal being to make 9s harder. Seems like they’re sincerely trying to bring everything closer to how they feel weapons and stratagems are supposed to perform and function across all difficulties, and naturally promote diversity in player loadouts. They’re doing way better on this front than where they started.

Jerkface posted:

Now for the second quote. Lets just set aside what the devs have said about difficulty 9 and their expectations on completing the mode.
Why are you setting that aside? Hey! Don’t set that aside, I need that! It’s entirely what my post was about! Bring it back! :argh:

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I gotta say after being a bit down on the balance changes initially after playing a fair bit I've come around. I don't necessarily agree with every individual change still, but I think overall the game is now in a better state balance-wise than it was previously; I find myself using a much more varied loadout and it's less clear what the 'best' picks are, and the result is I'm having more fun. That said I am getting a bit worried about the technical and performance side of the game; every bug fix seems to introduce a new bug but more concerningly, the performance doesn't seem to be improving overall. I've seen people complain of gradual performance drops as the patches go by and I'm definitely noticing it now myself, for the first time I'm noticing significant FPS drops that I was not having before. And I've always had occasional crashes/network drops but they seem to be getting more and more frequent. It's not necessarily that I think the devs are incompetent or lack the resource to fix it, but my worry is that they just won't be able to make meaningful progress because of intractable engine limitations and new issues introduced by the stream of new content drops. It's one thing to have these kinds of performance and technical problems, and I think most people are willing to overlook them for a time after launch considering the circumstances (the quality of the game and the unexpectedly huge playerbase), but if those problems are stll getting worse instead of better much further out from launch than this it starts looking like a real problem imo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tryhard whinelords complaining that the hardest level of the game isn't hard enough are the worst.

You want a challenge? Play a mission only using your sidearm and the precision strike. There you go. Fun new challenge.

Oh, that's too hard now? You want it harder but not like that? Get hosed.

The worst thing a game developer can do is cater to its tiny crowd of extremely noisy 5,000-hour poopsockers. They are wrong about everything and they will never be pleased. I'm glad that Arrowhead is so far mostly ignoring them. Keep it up

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 1, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Have the devs ever actually said that they want 9s to be too difficult for most people to complete? The only thing I remember is them saying they were surprised/"horrified" that people were clearing 9s so easily, because they thought people would have a lot more trouble with 9s.

I think the current weapon balance is great for 9s. They're a fun challenge now instead of being a thing you trivialize by picking meta loadouts, but they're not at all impossible. Which sounds like exactly what the devs wanted out of them. The problem with balance prior to this patch is that every difficulty was trivial for experienced players if you picked certain loadouts because those loadouts had a clear-cut top-tier answer to everything, and because that was possible that's what most people did. If you were playing 9s before the patch and can't complete them now, it's not because of balance changes making weapons "bad", it's because you're not playing at the skill/effort level needed for 9s and were being carried by your too-strong meta loadout previously. Now there's no clear meta loadout for 9s, you just need to be playing at a high enough skill level. Which is exactly as it should be, and exactly as it seems the devs intended.

I play 7s and 8s most of the time anyway because I find them more fun, and did even before the recent patch :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 1, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ouroboros posted:

I gotta say after being a bit down on the balance changes initially after playing a fair bit I've come around. I don't necessarily agree with every individual change still, but I think overall the game is now in a better state balance-wise than it was previously; I find myself using a much more varied loadout and it's less clear what the 'best' picks are, and the result is I'm having more fun. That said I am getting a bit worried about the technical and performance side of the game; every bug fix seems to introduce a new bug but more concerningly, the performance doesn't seem to be improving overall. I've seen people complain of gradual performance drops as the patches go by and I'm definitely noticing it now myself, for the first time I'm noticing significant FPS drops that I was not having before. And I've always had occasional crashes/network drops but they seem to be getting more and more frequent. It's not necessarily that I think the devs are incompetent or lack the resource to fix it, but my worry is that they just won't be able to make meaningful progress because of intractable engine limitations and new issues introduced by the stream of new content drops. It's one thing to have these kinds of performance and technical problems, and I think most people are willing to overlook them for a time after launch considering the circumstances (the quality of the game and the unexpectedly huge playerbase), but if those problems are stll getting worse instead of better much further out from launch than this it starts looking like a real problem imo.
Every major patch is going to add bugs because doing anything other than very careful bugfixing adds bugs. That's why they already scheduled a hotfix the same week as the patch.

And it's definitely not the buggiest it's been since release (for most people.) The low point was that week before the patch that fixed a bunch of common crashes.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sagebrush posted:

Getting hosed is the most difficulty of all...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah there was a period where crashing on extract was very common, that was way worse than the situation right now. I haven't crashed a single time on the current patch

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Droxis posted:

Fix DoT bugs and introduce more chemical weapons alongside that. I want to have a big backpack full of cartoon green acid to compliment my sci-fi super soaker.
First game had a chem thrower that was really good at killing teammates

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Tryhard whinelords complaining that the hardest level of the game isn't hard enough are the worst.

You want a challenge? Play a mission only using your sidearm and the precision strike. There you go. Fun new challenge.

The worst thing a game developer can do is cater to its tiny crowd of extremely noisy 5,000-hour poopsockers. They are wrong about everything and they will never be pleased. I'm glad that Arrowhead is so far mostly ignoring them. Keep it up

This kind of opinion is a thousand times worse than 'tryhard whinelords' dude

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

zombie bugs?????

:worried:

zombugs

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

johnny park posted:

This kind of opinion is a thousand times worse than 'tryhard whinelords' dude

Lmao no it isn't, he's right

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

yeah it should be illegal to add difficulty levels to the game that i do not personally find enjoyable;e. i don't know why devs keep on mistakenly appealing to players other than just me exclusively

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The number of player types that M:TG guy brought up might be excessive with all the Spike and Tommy and Angelica stuff but the goon who linked to it was right in that there are some player mindsets that are just not compatible. I know over the years there is definitely a camp that sees an I Win button and argues a game is boring if they're able to keep pressing it to win, and a camp that sees an I Win button and sees only the button itself as boring so they'll try other things instead.

There's just always going to be people who argue a game should be made harder and people who argue the player can make it harder for themselves.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I understand the sentiment, but couching it in the language of "lol these virgin tryhard nerds need to RELAX and HAVE FUN. it's a VIDEO GAME" was old the second time it was ever done like 30 years ago and it hasn't gotten any more pleasant or interesting since then. For some people, fun involves a certain amount of challenge, and that amount of challenge varies from person to person. The people that play Helldive aren't doing it because they're masochists or elitists, they're doing it because they find it fun and some of them would enjoy it even more if it was more difficult.

The poster can express their opinions about the game's difficulty without being a dumbfuck

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

at some point it's important to look at yourself in the mirror and accept that you are, personally, not the greatest video game player of all time & the ultimate esports superstar or whatever and there could possibly be people who are better than you at a game and legitimately think that it's too easy. typically you should do this when you're at most around 10 years old but it's never too late.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

at some point it's important to look at yourself in the mirror and accept that you are, personally, not the greatest video game player of all time & the ultimate esports superstar or whatever and there could possibly be people who are better than you at a game and legitimately think that it's too easy. typically you should do this when you're at most around 10 years old but it's never too late.

what the gently caress does that have to do with anything, we don't need to know you cried at the end of the wizard

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

This is not a winnable argument for anyone to try to feed, it's in everyone's best interest to pull up now before the plane crashes into the ground.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

at some point it's important to look at yourself in the mirror and accept that you are, personally, not the greatest video game player of all time & the ultimate esports superstar or whatever and there could possibly be people who are better than you

this is not the mindset of a champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Don't confuse complexity with difficulty. Dealing with 4 chargers and a carpet of chaff is plenty challenging. But it's not a very interesting challenge, made trivial by bringing the right tools, which I don't even do myself but I can't stop my friends having fun in their own way let alone pubbies and it's a co-op game (playing solo isn't fun for me) so it matters more than a single player game. The Charger changes I spitballed weren't to make it harder, but to make it more interesting by reducing the spawn rate but making it a longer ordeal to take down.