Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Power of Pecota posted:

85 completed gold stake runs and I've got Completionist++! Chicot was the last one to cross off.

For most commonly used jokers:

20+: Supernova, Stuntman (da goat), Blackboard
15-19: Square Joker, Hologram, Vampire, Green Joker
10-14: Blue Joker, Card Sharp, Ride the Bus, Abstract Joker, Baseball Card

Glad to answer any questions~

Now start a new profile and see if you can beat your time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Power of Pecota posted:

85 completed gold stake runs and I've got Completionist++! Chicot was the last one to cross off.

What makes Stuntman the goat in your eyes?
I see from your common jokers, Supernova, Square Joker, Green Joker, Card Sharp ,Ride the Bus, etc., are you just trying to consistently do a high card strat? How do you try to build towards something that can consistently win on Gold Stake?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

MJeff posted:

I see from your common jokers, Supernova, Square Joker, Green Joker, Card Sharp ,Ride the Bus, etc., are you just trying to consistently do a high card strat? How do you try to build towards something that can consistently win on Gold Stake?

250 chips is massive in the grand scheme of things once you start multiplying it. If you get it early, build towards high card/pair builds and get retriggers on your cards/jokers. Adding to those with card enhancements will allow you to beat Ante 8 pretty much every time.

Consider the following:

Stuntman makes playing a base lv. 1 high card King from 15 chips + 1 mult to 265 + 1 mult, which is a nearly 18 times increase in score. Add in Gros and on a high card you're doing roughly 4k score without any other enhancements/jokers, which is pretty great for the first 3 antes.

Stuntman does fall off but if you're just going for wins then it's very good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Ghost deck. Madness in first ante. Polychrome it. Convert vast majority of cards to hearts. Get flush to Level 11. No boss reroll vouchers to be seen. Madness going into final boss? 11.5x. Final boss? Verdant Leaf.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

As in... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffree win because all you have to do is buy any two non-eternal jokers in the final shop?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yeah I'm noob I didn't look ahead I've only been playing a week I'm noob and I'm sorry

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MJeff posted:

The main downside to playing high card is low chip count per hand and stuntman gives piles of chips. So you get stuntman early and you're set to play high card all game which has a lot of advantages and boss blinds can't really do anything against you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The patch is out of beta!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

The patch is out of beta!

:chanpop:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

No Wave posted:

The main downside to playing high card is low chip count per hand and stuntman gives piles of chips. So you get stuntman early and you're set to play high card all game which has a lot of advantages and boss blinds can't really do anything against you.

One catch, be very careful about duplicating Stuntman as The Psychic is an auto lose if you have less than 5 hand size.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

tinstaach posted:

Were you using yellow deck for all of your runs or were there any other decks you thought were consistently strong at gold stake?

Out of 85 runs it took me to clear, 54 were Ghost, 9 were Anaglyph, 6 were Yellow, 3 were Checkered, 2 were Zodiac and Magic, and the other 9 were one clear only.

Early economy being better helps Yellow and your first joker being more likely to have a perishable/rental tag hurts the Hex on Ghost though, so that would look very different if I played more after the patch.

Anaglyph has felt like the second best on both sides, either for a massive negative joker dump, a bunch of spectral packs, a bunch of money doubles, or something else. I didn't skip a lot, but it makes one skip later in the run really impactful.

Green (with how much emphasis there is on economy now, I liked it before), Painted, and Black are the ones that I'd assume are at the bottom of things, and while Red isn't bad I'd play Blue or plenty of other decks over it every time.

TaurusTorus posted:

Now start a new profile and see if you can beat your time

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth incentivized this (I was a 10001% completionist there) and still, no way in hell. I'm still keeping the spreadsheet of stats though!

(Shoutout to DACK FAYDEN on the first page who I remember from those threads)

MJeff posted:

Kuros and No Wave nailed it, it's the best chip card in the game because for very little downside you get an endgame-worthy amount of chips for a very manageable downside. Like, you can get a Bull or a Wee Joker above 250 in a run where you build around it, but Stuntman makes it so much easier.

I'm only going to a high card if I have a really good source of chips (Stuntman gets there instantly) or if I get an early Green Joker/Ride the Bus/Supernova where I spend the early game juicing those with weak hands before playing a flush or full house or something to clear the blind.

I'll go for pairs if I get an early The Duo, early Burnt Joker without any other good early game (you'll die early if you go for high cards there), or if Sly Joker is the only chip card that I can get which happens weirdly often.

You can only play with what they give you, but generally I go for one big chip card, one big flat mult card, and as much xMult as I can get.

You also want to:
- Get and stay above $25 as early as you can for econ
- Prioritize the reroll voucher in case it gives you something that kills your build as a boss (also Crimson Heart wrecks your poo poo if you build like this and Violet Vessel sucks)
- Think about what can beat the final round, especially with utility jokers. Something like Burnt Joker can give you a bunch of good poo poo and be replaced by something that helps directly, so it's really good, while something like Smeared Joker feels good for a while but levels off before the lategame so I'd consider it like, D tier.
- Keep in mind that chip cards are harder to find than flat mult - stuff like Torn Joker and Mystic Summit can keep you afloat through the midgame, and my #1 run killer so far on the new patch has been a lack of chips. I'm not sure if Foil Tags are worth it yet with the chance of them hitting perishable/rental tags, but I'm considering it when I haven't before.

E: Forgot this, but with the importance of economy I'd only take a rental if you have to to stay alive in a run. Like, I've done a rental Ramen when my build was feeling weak and a rental Blue Joker until I could find another usable chip card (I dumped a regular Odd Todd for it) but otherwise those can tank you surprisingly fast.

I would throw together a tierlist, but it'd have to be for pre-patch because that changed a bunch and it'd effectively be useless now.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 1, 2024

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Kuros posted:

One catch, be very careful about duplicating Stuntman as The Psychic is an auto lose if you have less than 5 hand size.

Similarly if you just want to clear ante 8, I fully support going all in with Ectoplasm but just don't go under 8 until you see the ante 7 boss.

I had one run where I went out in style, ectoplasming my hand size down to 0 on like ante 10 and instantly losing when I played the cards I had

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Power of Pecota posted:

Anything you wish you had caught onto sooner in your journey?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Aipsh posted:

Finally got to Ante 8 with golden Needle - had a deck that was just scraping by with Acrobat, and with Onyx Agate and Walkie talkie.

Then last blind is Violet Vessel lol.

BUT WAIT, in the very last shop I got throwback for 2.75x mult and got two more glass cards together. Got my club flush with the only two glass cards in the deck on the last discard and beat it by 3000 points. Thank gently caress that one is over. Now just Jokerless uuurgh

Jokerless is way less painful than Golden Needle at least.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nemo2342 posted:

Jokerless is way less painful than Golden Needle at least.

Hard agree.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kuros posted:

250 chips is massive in the grand scheme of things once you start multiplying it. If you get it early, build towards high card/pair builds and get retriggers on your cards/jokers. Adding to those with card enhancements will allow you to beat Ante 8 pretty much every time.

Consider the following:

Stuntman makes playing a base lv. 1 high card King from 15 chips + 1 mult to 265 + 1 mult, which is a nearly 18 times increase in score. Add in Gros and on a high card you're doing roughly 4k score without any other enhancements/jokers, which is pretty great for the first 3 antes.

Stuntman does fall off but if you're just going for wins then it's very good.

Right; Stuntman is the same amount of chips as if you had played 5 stone cards on top of whatever actual hand you play. That gives you an incredible amount of breathing room to find strong +Mult and XMult jokers, especially on higher stakes where you can't afford to fish for higher value cards.

For longer games one of the scaling chip cards is probably better, but Stuntman is easily strong enough to carry you through Ante 8 if you focus on hands that are easy to make.

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 1, 2024

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
My last big unlock I need to get is the Stuntman Joker from a 100,000,000 chip hand. I know Balatro is completely random and asking about strategies is a little pointless but I'm wondering if those of you hitting that kind of number have a "standard start" you like to do.

When I was trying to get gold stake, my standard start was Yellow deck for the money plus fishing for an early $0 shop or a good Ante 1 rare to focus around (or the +Hands/+Hand Size vouchers). My highest scoring hand has been some chaotic 10,000,000 chip hand waaaay out in Ante 9 or 10 but it's only happened once or twice so I don't have a strategy (as much as you can have one).

It seeeems like those of you who get buckwild high scores are getting like a DNA early to clone steels and then fishing for that joker that gives xMult for kings in hand. Should I just hammer the R button til I get DNA in Ante 1 or have you had success with a different start?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nemo2342 posted:

Right; Stuntman is the same amount of chips as if you had played 5 face cards on top of whatever actual hand you play. That gives you an incredible amount of breathing room to find strong +Mult and XMult jokers, especially on higher stakes where you can't afford to fish for higher value cards.

For longer games one of the scaling chip cards is probably better, but Stuntman is easily strong enough to carry you through Ante 8 if you focus on hands that are easy to make.
5 face cards? You mean 5 stone cards?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

That Dang Dad posted:

It seeeems like those of you who get buckwild high scores are getting like a DNA early to clone steels and then fishing for that joker that gives xMult for kings in hand. Should I just hammer the R button til I get DNA in Ante 1 or have you had success with a different start?
If you just need the Stuntman unlock it's easier to find a retriggering joker (Hanging Chad, Hack, Dusk, Seltzer, Sock and Buskin) and turn cards to glass to get a bunch of 2x mult triggers from them, or if you find it, use Bloodstone. Photograph also works well with the new Hanging Chad.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

My Stuntman unlock was a Baseball Card and a bunch of negative uncommons with Abandoned Deck including a big Hologram, Blackboard, and Mime.

Definitely switch to white stake for it, but otherwise I don’t have much advice there.

Neon Belly posted:

Anything you wish you had caught onto sooner in your journey?

Flushes and the corresponding change your card suit cards aren’t worth forcing, especially if it keeps you from $25.

Ankh is rear end like 98% of the time but especially with Ghost Deck two early Polychrome Ride the Buses or two early Polychrome Green Jokers are busted. Look out for that 2%

I’m sure there are more, but those are the first two that come to mind.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

No Wave posted:

5 face cards? You mean 5 stone cards?

Yep, I did. Thanks I’ve fixed it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
https://twitter.com/balatrogame/status/1785715156267196514

If my closet wasn't so full already, I'd buy the banana hoodie.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just to be clear what deck is recommended for gold stake now that the patch is out, Ghost or Yellow

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

Green (with how much emphasis there is on economy now, I liked it before), Painted, and Black are the ones that I'd assume are at the bottom of things, and while Red isn't bad I'd play Blue or plenty of other decks over it every time.

I haven't cleared gold on Zodiac or Magic, do you really think they're better for it than Painted? Painted didn't do great for me pre-patch but I found it light years better than Green or Black.

I'm pretty curious how painted holds up post-patch too, I found it did pretty decently right up until orange stake where you got killed even harder than most decks by the booster pack prices since you had basically had no space to run any econ-boosting jokers whatsoever.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

MJeff posted:

Just to be clear what deck is recommended for gold stake now that the patch is out, Ghost or Yellow

Yellow owns but I think consistency wise checkered is still probably winning out, but actually because it’s easier to get flush five, rather than just flushed

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Jossar posted:

lol I'm so buying one of these for my brother who I got Balatro pilled by recommending it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

MJeff posted:

Personally I’d roll with Yellow, but some of it is personal preference.

the holy poopacy posted:

I haven't cleared gold on Zodiac or Magic, do you really think they're better for it than Painted? Painted didn't do great for me pre-patch but I found it light years better than Green or Black.

I'm pretty curious how painted holds up post-patch too, I found it did pretty decently right up until orange stake where you got killed even harder than most decks by the booster pack prices since you had basically had no space to run any econ-boosting jokers whatsoever.

I hated Painted, but also it kinda goes against my playstyle. It’s definitely better than black (I cleared gold stake on all other decks before orange stake on black) and I’d believe Green is worse than I remember it because early on I underused discards and didn’t prioritize economy that much. I haven’t touched it in a long time.

One thing I really hated about Painted was getting no negative jokers or blind rerolls and then just getting hosed by Verdant Leaf/Crimson Heart.

Zodiac I might be biased on because my first clear was a sick Constellation/Astronomer combo, but I played some of it fishing for Glass Joker for the sticker at the end and it was fine. The guaranteed first shop buffoon pack helps the worst thing about it.

Magic Deck is high variance, but early triple judgements instead of one or 6 lucky cards instead of 2 or $20 from Death being an early $60 instead is pretty nice when it lines up.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I am pleased to report that the Square Joker is, in fact, more square now

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Jossar posted:

The merch he should really release if he's not allergic to money is physical packs of the jokers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This is fuckin' cruel.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Color Printer posted:

it's the high contrast cards option to help distinguish spades from clubs and hearts from diamonds at a quick glance

What's weird about this is there's an existing convention that renders clubs green and diamonds blue. So blue clubs are just strange, and Pink/Red isn't as different as you might think

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Just got done with my first full run post-patch, Painted Deck, Black Stakes. Having taken some of people's advice here, I'm agreeing that 1 chip, 1 mult, and then as much mult/mult as you can stack is the way to go for consistent clearing, but it does seem to make more of the runs that do succeed immediately sputter out and die right after Ante 8. Then again, that's Painted in a nutshell unless you get really lucky on Negatives.

Obviously haven't seen that much of the fancy upper stake revisions (I do have a pre-patch Gold clear on Checkered, but all of the rest of my decks are between completion of Green and Blue), but I am liking what I see of the patch changes in general. Feel like I'm a lot more incentivized to skip now where I wasn't before.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 2, 2024

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

What's weird about this is there's an existing convention that renders clubs green and diamonds blue. So blue clubs are just strange, and Pink/Red isn't as different as you might think

The diamonds in high contrast mode look orange to me rather than pink

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Yeah they're definitely yellow/orange not pink

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Me watching a streamer get the needle as a boss blind and saying "well in that case we have to dump burglar because it's not going to do anything for us"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Changes are good. This happened on my first run.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

That Dang Dad posted:

My last big unlock I need to get is the Stuntman Joker from a 100,000,000 chip hand. I know Balatro is completely random and asking about strategies is a little pointless but I'm wondering if those of you hitting that kind of number have a "standard start" you like to do.

ahahahahah yesssss DNA and Wee Joker in Ante 1, Hack in Ante 2, and it was on and crackin'

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 2, 2024

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Double double Joker Stencil runs!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Veryslightlymad posted:

As a convention it sucks because I would expect diamonds to get a warm colour, so orange/yellow makes way more sense to me.
Also, you may be slightly daltonic OR your screen might be dying.
I'll give you that it IS a particularly strange hue of orange, and the gradient/shimmer is much more stark than the other colours.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tafferling posted:

As a convention it sucks because I would expect diamonds to get a warm colour, so orange/yellow makes way more sense to me.
Also, you may be slightly daltonic OR your screen might be dying.
I'll give you that it IS a particularly strange hue of orange, and the gradient/shimmer is much more stark than the other colours.

I was looking at the thumbnail image on my phone outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Me watching a streamer get the needle as a boss blind and saying "well in that case we have to dump burglar because it's not going to do anything for us"

lol