Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Columbia connection is one of those things that makes me think maybe Israel is integral to US empire and can't be cut loose.

My baseline feeling is, "it's just Israel, who cares? Cut them loose, let the kids criticize Israel, whatever." But, if in the course of criticizing things Israel has done you end up, even accidentally, bringing up their training increasingly militarized US police departments, well suddenly the kids are criticizing bedrock US domestic policies. Similarly, "Israel trained death squads in Latin America" is a criticism that immediately becomes "the US organized a network of death squads in Latin America." Those are a lot closer to home, the US system as a whole can't be separated from Israel's actions in that case.

i think if youre an elderly educated êlítę then you dont consider human lives or politics or history at all and you just see israel as an artificial satellite united states installed deep in the heart of enemy territory across the world, a feat nearly matched by the soviet union with cuba, hence our polar opposite treatment of the two countries. to abandon israel would be tantamount to castration from this perspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the us would sooner let north dakota go than israel

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i would say “look at all the horrible poo poo the US has done to every member of this family” but that’s all Palestinian families now. I guess the Al-Arians got to experience it in slo mo

https://x.com/lailaalarian/status/1785808622921875792?s=46

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Columbia connection is one of those things that makes me think maybe Israel is integral to US empire and can't be cut loose.

My baseline feeling is, "it's just Israel, who cares? Cut them loose, let the kids criticize Israel, whatever." But, if in the course of criticizing things Israel has done you end up, even accidentally, bringing up their training increasingly militarized US police departments, well suddenly the kids are criticizing bedrock US domestic policies. Similarly, "Israel trained death squads in Latin America" is a criticism that immediately becomes "the US organized a network of death squads in Latin America." Those are a lot closer to home, the US system as a whole can't be separated from Israel's actions in that case.

It’s very hard to come up with rational reasons for why supporting Israel is the single most important thing in the West, surpassing professed values, money, even national security. But it’s also very hard to come up with rational reasons for why America moved its industrial capacity to China and then started picking fights with China. The only thing I can square it all with is that we’re ruled by absolute morons who think they’re invincible, and who have an understanding of the world frozen in 1991.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Best Friends posted:

The only thing I can square it all with is that we’re ruled by absolute morons who think they’re invincible, and who have an understanding of the world frozen in 1991.

That's indisputable, I think. 2008 or so is going to be looked back on as a turning point both for the financial collapse, belligerence towards China, and Georgia War.

The contractions with Israel started accelerating around 2006, when their invincible army was publicly defeated, and worldwide public opinion was firmly on the side of the people they attacked. Reading the books on Israel-Diaspora relations, Israel was unable to process people disapproving of their actions abroad, and a siege mentality we can see today really picked up speed.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the west is ruled by the governance equivalent of a 737 max mcat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Everyone with power for sure, but I'm not so sure about most of the people without. If that were the case, pro-Palestine protests would have vanished months ago. It's us versus the elites, and the elites are losing this battle quickly - that's why they're trying to put down the college protests so dramatically.

the protests are news because they’re an unusual, minority action

I think that most of the Americans who are currently polling as anti-Israel can be recaptured by the liberal establishment with some superficial concessions and better speechmaking than we’ve seen out of the Biden camp recently

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

the protests are news because they’re an unusual, minority action

I think that most of the Americans who are currently polling as anti-Israel can be recaptured by the liberal establishment with some superficial concessions and better speechmaking than we’ve seen out of the Biden camp recently

Maybe some of us milquetoast millennials, but not the youth leading these protests. And to be honest I'm not sure the liberal establishment is capable of superficial concessions and better speechmaking.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

US support for Israel is a keystone in the house that is US imperialist policy and going back on it would mean having to also reexamine eighty years and trillions of dollars worth of strategy and actions undertaken by the US to establish and maintain their desired world order. This is also why we're still blockading Cuba, treating Iran and NK as pariah states, spending billions upon billions every year to LARP that we could defend Taiwan from a Chinese invasion, etc. The entirety of US foreign policy is borderline kayfabe at this point because critically examining any aspect of it at this point would be admitting we are the baddies and have been the baddies since like, at a minimum 1945.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Maybe some of us milquetoast millennials, but not the youth leading these protests. And to be honest I'm not sure the liberal establishment is capable of superficial concessions and better speechmaking.

the youth leading the protests are exceptional, heroic, morally clear, and driven people. I am humbled by their acts of courage and resolve

but they are exceptional, and not the majority even of college students, let alone of the disempowered American population

critical support for the students because they might be the spark to a flame that cleanses the world of Israel’s genocidal policies and pan-Western complicity. I hope that the liberal establishment is dumb enough to keep fighting them in ways that expose its own weaknesses, but I think the balance of social influence still lives at the NYT and its analogues

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Subjunctive posted:

the youth leading the protests are exceptional, heroic, morally clear, and driven people. I am humbled by their acts of courage and resolve

but they are exceptional, and not the majority even of college students, let alone of the disempowered American population

critical support for the students because they might be the spark to a flame that cleanses the world of Israel’s genocidal policies and pan-Western complicity. I hope that the liberal establishment is dumb enough to keep fighting them in ways that expose its own weaknesses, but I think the balance of social influence still lives at the NYT and its analogues

I took the day off and visited an encampment and agree they’re better organized and driven than the 2003 Iraq protests (still the largest in history I believe) I did at their age. Truly impressive people.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Bouillon Rube posted:

It’s my gut feeling that nobody is running the ship at this point. No one person knows exactly why we must remain beholden to this weird parasitic twin across the globe, and honestly they don’t need a reason. Biden is a perfect example of this mindset

I think the Democrat machine understands fully well that Israel produces the training and toys that our police can use to brutalize civilians, and that the entrenched wealthy Zionist donors should be kept satisfied. But neoliberal institutional rot has also surgically removed any ability for the machine to think strategically instead of reactively; otherwise they'd be able to realize that the current course of action is catastrophically ill-advised.

(And even then I think there are quite a few individual Democrats who are freaking out, but they're either unwilling or unable to actually challenge the leadership)

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

if Israel were to call a ceasefire fairly soon, then I expect this ends in the short term the way these things have always tended to, with a broad society-wide shift in the range of acceptable discourse and minimal real policy concessions. BDS becomes mainstreamed somewhat, attacks on BDS are henceforth met more often than not with eyerolls, and the new "fringe" position that gets Democrats wetting their pants is the abolition of the state of Israel, and little meaningfully changes politically, for now. if Israel continues plowing forward, the natural tendency of these things to peter out is blunted by the fact that an ongoing genocide is kind of a big deal.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

if Israel were to call a ceasefire fairly soon,

won’t happen

paul soccer quote

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Israel and Biden's people could do the smart thing and end this genocide now, which would take a lot of the 'juice' out of the protests as you said and might even revitalize Genocide Joe's reelection campaign.

None of these people are smart.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

if Israel were to call a ceasefire fairly soon, then I expect this ends in the short term the way these things have always tended to, with a broad society-wide shift in the range of acceptable discourse and minimal real policy concessions. BDS becomes mainstreamed somewhat, attacks on BDS are henceforth met more often than not with eyerolls, and the new "fringe" position that gets Democrats wetting their pants is the abolition of the state of Israel, and little meaningfully changes politically, for now. if Israel continues plowing forward, the natural tendency of these things to peter out is blunted by the fact that an ongoing genocide is kind of a big deal.

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1785638176981143874

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Israel and Biden's people could do the smart thing and end this genocide now, which would take a lot of the 'juice' out of the protests as you said and might even revitalize Genocide Joe's reelection campaign.

None of these people are smart.

we can't do it we are forced by some rich people

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

If Hamas doesn't drop their demand that I end the war, then I will continue the war

If Hamas DOES drop their demand that I end the war, well then that means we agree I will continue the war

This is stupidest poo poo ever

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
Death to Israel.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
That's some catch that catch-netanyahu

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

OctaMurk posted:

If Hamas doesn't drop their demand that I end the war, then I will continue the war

If Hamas DOES drop their demand that I end the war, well then that means we agree I will continue the war

Israel has no stomach for diplomacy but an endless willingness to escalate.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

could you imagine if they shot back lol

Lloyd Austin says US troops building Gaza aid pier can return fire if attacked by Hamas

nypost.com - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 posted:

WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told House lawmakers Tuesday that US forces helping to construct a floating humanitarian pier along the Gaza Strip’s coast may return fire if attacked from the Hamas-run Palestinian enclave — causing an uproar among both Democrats and Republicans.

Last month, President Biden ordered the Army to build the $320 million “Joint Logistics Over The Shore” jetty system, meant to ease the flow of humanitarian aid into Gaza by sea as Israel’s war against Hamas nears the seven-month mark.

When asked by Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) about the possibility of US forces coming under fire from land, Austin acknowledged to the House Armed Services Committee: “That’s possible, yes.”

“So if someone from land, and Gaza, shoots at our service members who are on the $320 million pier that we’re building, you’re telling me our service members can shoot back?” Gaetz asked.

“They have the right to return fire to protect themselves,” the Pentagon chief affirmed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just setting up a justification for getting American boots on the ground to help with the genocide; no big deal.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Just setting up a justification for getting American boots on the ground to help with the genocide; no big deal.
I think they're talking about the highly likely scenario of Israelis doing the shooting, but these are not mutually exclusive

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

if Israel were to call a ceasefire fairly soon,

israel does not want any ceasefire

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

Rome: Total War rear end diplomacy

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There's not a government conspiracy to start general protests across the country, because they're not that smart. That said, if the goal was to spark general protests across the country, what would they be doing differently?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

mawarannahr posted:

I think they're talking about the highly likely scenario of Israelis doing the shooting, but these are not mutually exclusive

if israel opens fire and kills every single us troop they will be ordered to martyr themselves without returning fire and no matter how facile the pretext they'll blame it on hamas.

they're probably gaming it out in the hakirya r/n

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mandel Brotset posted:

also crises are coming more rapidly, giving movements more temporal overlap. experience is a great teacher and there have been near constant opportunities to learn for nearly eight months now

Yeah, plenty to learn, I just worry about people's material resources and the ability to resist getting absolutely crushed by the American security state

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Just read the wikipedia page about Jonathan Pollard and what the Israelis put American security state people through over that scandal of an Israeli agent buying American state secrets including communication codes. Imagine any other country treated US officials like that. It's impossible.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 01:49 on May 2, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Brown University managed to get their protestors to disband camp by promising a vote on divestment in October.

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1785640321638125664

Seems like a setup for a rug pull. Wait 5 months, vote no on divestment, maybe the protest wave is gone by then.

October huh, wonder what event happened in October…

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dreylad posted:

Yeah, plenty to learn, I just worry about people's material resources and the ability to resist getting absolutely crushed by the American security state

Just read the wikipedia page about Jonathan Pollard and what the Israelis put American security state people through over that scandal of an Israeli agent buying American state secrets including communication codes. Imagine any other country treated US officials like that. It's impossible.

the economically immiserated simply cannot afford to protest, particularly those with people who depend on them for basic survival

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Dreylad posted:

and yet the al aqsa flood successfully wiped out one of the security state’s preeminent brigades. life finds a way

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zionists are such loving retards

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

future generations will post dancingz.gif to mock people

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Al! posted:

The ruling class outright sees Israel as more of a state than they do many of the actual states (like North Dakota).

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Pookah posted:

He is so astonishingly bad at this - completely unable to do anything but sit quietly while the questions are asked and then parrot back canned responses. No ability to dominate the interview or control the line of questioning.
I love to see it.

it's like setting up your army to only be able to brutalize civilians. When you can simply end the career of any journalist who pushes back, why bother learning to deal with hostile interviews?

And just like their lovely army it falls apart as soon as they are confronted with someone who resists.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

This can't be right, every pro-Israeli person has assured me that the war is Hamas' fault because if they accepted Israel's reasonable demands the war would end instantly.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Al! posted:

if we're doing a fire sale on states can whoever's buying take idaho and florida too?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/qvjfrm?update=2873038

quote:

The US House of Representatives has passed a bill broadening the definition of anti-Semitism to include the “targeting of the State of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity”.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Anti genocide is code for anti semitism