Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

Ultras have like 8 billion successor chapters which they pretend are legally distinct.

There’s a bit in the night lords trilogy where a character recalls the ultramarines legion storming their fortress world and delivering a savage rear end beating. He’s very clear that despite it really being a whole bunch of ultramarine successor chapters and the ultras themselves they all just neatly slot right back together into a cohesive legion sized force when they need to and the parent chapter calls.

Also btw gws greatest lore retcon success is that abbaddon actually owns now, both in the literal triumph sense and as a good as hell character. His appearances in the latter Horus heresy novels turn him into a genuinely compelling character (see stuff like saturnine) and the black legion novels are fukn great.

Also his mini slaps.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Teatime posted:

There’s a bit in the night lords trilogy where a character recalls the ultramarines legion storming their fortress world and delivering a savage rear end beating. He’s very clear that despite it really being a whole bunch of ultramarine successor chapters and the ultras themselves they all just neatly slot right back together into a cohesive legion sized force when they need to and the parent chapter calls.

Kinda funny that it also makes sense give the Ultramarines' whole deal of logistics, tactics and doing things by the book, literally, it would also make sense that they'd be able to coordinate seamlessly with their successor chapters that follow the Codex, even if they've been legitimately acting independently for ages.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bob dobbs is dead posted:

straight man meaning, the guy to react all confused when peeps do shenanigans. george costanza says some poo poo, seinfeld gets exasperated, the exasperation makes things funny

abaddon's never confused and disoriented-seeming

That's one kind of straight man. There's also the Jim from The Office kind who effortlessly drifts above the madness and chaos that surrounds him.

And there is a Warhammer character who literally spends the entire Heresy making the Jim face at the camera

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
isn't there some turnip game now based on 40k that is good?

e: called Turnip 28 apparently

ShredsYouSay fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 30, 2024

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Turnip.....game?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Gripweed posted:

That's one kind of straight man. There's also the Jim from The Office kind who effortlessly drifts above the madness and chaos that surrounds him.

And there is a Warhammer character who literally spends the entire Heresy making the Jim face at the camera

EREBUS! :argh:

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Xun posted:

Turnip.....game?

it's a 28mm wargame about a version of Napoleonic Europe where the making of Empires was interrupted by a sort of magical growing plant life, and now everyone's gone a bit mad about root vegetables, Hence the name Turnip28.

Here's an interview with the original creator: https://www.goonhammer.com/turnip28-interview-with-max-fitzgerald/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Turnips sounding suspiciously like Tiberium

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Mr Teatime posted:

Bear in mind that this occured pretty shortly after the heresy, so there had likely been a whole lot less drift in cohesion and tactics than we'd find in 40k- so getting the band back together was probably a return to form.

There are some ultramarine successor chapters that are completely unrecognizable to their original legion now. Like the Mortificators, Libators and the Nemesis chapter, to name a few. I guess I'd throw the silver skulls in there too, but since they're probably at least partly loyalist Iron Warrior genestock, it's not strange that they'd deviate somewhat

e: re the codex astartes capping chapters at 1000ish members, I would suspect that most chapters are struggling to reach 1000 active battle brothers rather than constantly butting up against the limit. Making new space marines is hard and has a long logistical tail

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 1, 2024

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I thought the Silver Skulls were Necrons fighting some Xeno's that the humans mistakenly took to be space marines helping them in a long telephone-game chain.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Yadoppsi posted:

I thought the Silver Skulls were Necrons fighting some Xeno's that the humans mistakenly took to be space marines helping them in a long telephone-game chain.

In that one instance yes, but they're also a real chapter

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Turnip 28 seems fun, only gameplay ive seen comes from this video

https://youtu.be/iR9-8G_uf4s?si=jmPpaVlBJFrh97Ew

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This made me think of you nerds.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
v glad i remind you of henry cavill

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

thin blue whine posted:

v glad i remind you of henry cavill

both of you make me laugh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

man they are really going all out on this Stormcast Eternal refresh

old Prosecutors

new Prosecutors

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Can't wait to welcome little Primarius Rex XII into the world.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Disco Pope posted:

Can't wait to welcome little Primarius Rex XII into the world.

I guess the Trojan Emperor doesnt protect

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Tzeentch and Slaanesh and Nurgle and Khorne and Gork and Mork and Khaine come in with everything needed to give the giant nerd god a swirly while the dead emperor watches in the corner.

"Quit smiting yourself, quit smiting yourself"

But their cooperation would only make the lame god stronger.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Gripweed posted:

He put my bolter in HERESY!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you need the xenos straight man, you need the loyalist straight man, but where's the chaos straight man?

They checked all of chaos, unsurprisingly, they were unable to locate a single straight man.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The primarch of the Iron Hands is named Ferrus Manus

I used to read White Dwarf religiously and they did a series about the different Primarchs and their lives growing up and Ferrus Manus was always my favorite.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

SalTheBard posted:

I used to read White Dwarf religiously and they did a series about the different Primarchs and their lives growing up and Ferrus Manus was always my favorite.

Killing a Necron construct by dunking it in lava and having the necrodermis melt all over his arms is one of the better origin stories.

Too bad about the whole beheading thing

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

There's too much stupid lore

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Remembrancer posted:

A Remembrancer was a Human civilian artist, historian or journalist who was a member of the Imperial Remembrancer Order that accompanied the expeditionary fleets of the Great Crusade in the early 31st Millennium.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Since I can't find this past year's Nightmare Fear Factory thread I'm sorry I can't give credit to whoever made this.

Just know its awesome and my desktop background.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Smugworth posted:

I don't think rememberancers are stupid at all; they're cool characters, and a good plot device to justify a human POV that has plausible reason to rub shoulders with the major characters across the different legions

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Smugworth posted:

Fun fact, the Rememberancers are still around in 40k, they just got renamed to the Interrogators.

Well, they got renamed again later on, but by then they all had badges shaped like a capital I, so they didn’t change it too much that second time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Straight Man of Chaos is the Emperor

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Barudak posted:

The Straight Man of Chaos is the Emperor

Well, until recently he definitely had the misogyny for it.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Torchlighter posted:

Well, until recently he definitely had the misogyny for it.

We've gone over the lengths he went to reproducing without the involvement of a woman and maximising the amount of gleaming muscle men at every opportunity

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't think rememberancers are stupid at all; they're cool characters, and a good plot device to justify a human POV that has plausible reason to rub shoulders with the major characters across the different legions

They're space reporters

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SalTheBard posted:

There's a fun bit in one of the horus heresy novels where you briefly see ferrus manus's childhood: his primarch pod accidentally let loose the necronndragon he would later drown and he immediately swears to not even talk to another human until he's killed it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Primarch backgrounds are fun since they're basically all mythic hero/superhero/supervillain origin stories from different genres, and then the Emperor comes along and usually fucks things up for no reason.

Though he did join Leman Russ in a drinking contest.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Primarch backgrounds are fun since they're basically all mythic hero/superhero/supervillain origin stories from different genres, and then the Emperor comes along and usually fucks things up for no reason.

I like that they figured out Angron would be angry

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The loyalists are just the ones he made the least number of mistakes with

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
he didnt make very many mistakes with horus, horus just got targeted. whereas he made lots of mistakes with corax and he just sucks it up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
tbf corax is a weenie

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they just decided to double up on the batmen expys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
2 iron guys, 2 batmans, 2 vampires (one is also a batman), 2 wolf guys, 2 dead guys, 2 nerds, 2 nice guys, 2 minorities, 2 alpha legion guys, etc. It's a classic formula

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 4, 2024