Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Still no patch on switch :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I was under the assumption that the game was finished & was pleasantly surprised it wasn't, and very happy they brought back tarot cards to the 8 ball joker! I ended up getting my first blind 14 run and my lord is blind 13 to 14 a massive jump lmao. it turns out the randomness of the discard for $ joker only selects available cards in your deck, and if all of your cards are the same card, you can just make crazy money especially if you have extra discards and copy jokers. I was making 375 a fight just off the discards.

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 2, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gold stakes is scary so since I unlocked it I’ve been focusing on getting all the Jokers instead. Currently unlocked all but two. One all I gotta do is play four 7 of clubs, which is doable, but the last one is the 100 million hand so I’ll be looking back through the posts about it on the last couple pages pretty soon. Also still have like idk nine vouchers to find?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Escobarbarian posted:

Gold stakes is scary so since I unlocked it I’ve been focusing on getting all the Jokers instead. Currently unlocked all but two. One all I gotta do is play four 7 of clubs, which is doable, but the last one is the 100 million hand so I’ll be looking back through the posts about it on the last couple pages pretty soon. Also still have like idk nine vouchers to find?

If you mouse over the vouchers you don't have on the collection page you can see if there's something you have to do to unlock them, and I'd recommend doing that before going for gold stakes because the last few I unlocked (if you don't want them spoiled, the one after blank and the one after paintbrush) are both really good

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Escobarbarian posted:

It took me about 8 hours to do orange stake, then I cleared gold in under 30 mins. I changed tack on gold to high card and it was a game changer.

100 million hand took maybe another 8 hours. In the end I eventually got there by getting a steel king with a red chip on it. Then re-rolled the store to get baron (each king in hand gives 1.5x mult) and DNA (if first hand of a round is a single card, copy it and add it to your hand) then cloning the steel king with red chip as much as possible. That was my general strategy but getting the rng onside took an age.

I've seen people also do it using the anaglyph deck to get a ton of random negatives but couldn't get that strategy to work for me. I maybe saw the negative token 4 times in those 8 hours.

Vouchers, even if you've unlocked the second tier voucher, you still need to buy the first tier in any given run for the 2nd tier voucher to show up in the shop

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

you can do gold without all the jokers & vouchers

i wrote this in an earlier post but the much more important thing in orange & gold stake is to reroll until you get a free cards & boosters (edit: vouchers are never free!) tag in the 1st or 2nd round of the 1st ante, hopefully get a good joker or two out of that, cruise through the next 2-3 antes, build up money, and try to find great jokers and cards after that

i beat gold without Stuntman or Seeing Double. if you've unlocked everything else but those, you should be good to go

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 2, 2024

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I don’t reroll for tags (except clearing black deck, where I’d roll for holographic), but now that the dollar sign one is $25 on the first boss clear I’d say it’s always worth taking.

That being said, no shame in resetting if you get lovely jokers in the first three shops. I’ll open the first shop pack if the one in the shop isn’t worth taking

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

i wrote this in an earlier post but the much more important thing in orange & gold stake is to reroll until you get a free cards + vouchers tag in the 1st or 2nd round of the 1st ante, hopefully get a good joker or two out of that, cruise through the next 2-3 antes, build up money, and try to find great jokers and cards after that

i beat gold without Stuntman or Seeing Double. if you've unlocked everything else but those, you should be good to go

Is the +voucher tag just in hopes of rolling a good voucher?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Being on my 'I'm as dumb as poo poo' poo poo on the jokerless challenge. Don't do Five of a kind jacks when this dude can show up!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

are hieroglyph and petroglyph goated or not? I nearly always take them, but I'm not sure they help the run unless I'm skipping for throwback or something.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

are hieroglyph and petroglyph goated or not? I nearly always take them, but I'm not sure they help the run unless I'm skipping for throwback or something.

depends, how badly do you need another ante worth of scaling? can you soak -1 hand and -1 discard if you take both? they can be worth it but they're not a slam pick.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I think they're always worth it if you can afford the tenbux

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Can be very good. If your build benefits from scaling, you get 3 more rounds to do that. You get 3 more shops to find acana, celestials, better jokers as well. It's usually worth it IMO.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just realized that Flower Pot works with Smeared Joker. Neat!

Working up to gold stake and realizing that Green Deck is pretty amazing for clearing stakes. Spend all the money, go for it, and you've got a consistent way to get money.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I think they're sick at low stakes or if you have an extra hand from Grabber/Nacho Tong (or are running Burglar) but otherwise I avoid them. Three hands is brutal, black deck is hands-down the worst for a reason.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Hieroglyph/Petroglyph purchase also depends on the deck I'm running. I'll buy them a lot less if I'm on black deck.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Neon Belly posted:

Is the +voucher tag just in hopes of rolling a good voucher?

i think the voucher tag either replenishes the slot if you've already bought it that ante or adds a 2nd slot if you didn't? not sure actually. but yeah i think either way you'll see a new one

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

i think the voucher tag either replenishes the slot if you've already bought it that ante or adds a 2nd slot if you didn't? not sure actually. but yeah i think either way you'll see a new one

It's a good way to consistently see the Seed Money voucher if you're me and playing with the Green Deck.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

I just realized that Flower Pot works with Smeared Joker. Neat!

Working up to gold stake and realizing that Green Deck is pretty amazing for clearing stakes. Spend all the money, go for it, and you've got a consistent way to get money.

Note that Green Deck blows through the early stakes but falls off hard later on (although probably not as bad as it did pre-patch.) Every difficulty bump is a double whammy because anything that makes it harder to clear blinds also means you get less money, which makes future blinds harder, which means you get even less money...

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

i wrote this in an earlier post but the much more important thing in orange & gold stake is to reroll until you get a free cards & boosters (edit: vouchers are never free!) tag in the 1st or 2nd round of the 1st ante, hopefully get a good joker or two out of that, cruise through the next 2-3 antes, build up money, and try to find great jokers and cards after that

Yeah, gold stake (especially new gold stake) is not something that needs a unique build like going exponential. You just need to, relative to white stake, additionally:
* Not rely on a joker that rolls rental, or already have the econ to support $3/round for it
* Not rely longterm on a joker that rolls perishable
* Gain 2x the white stake chip target
* Not rely on 3 base discards (so basically, Banner is worse and hand fishing is heavily discouraged--otoh, Bandit just gets better)
* Not rely on selling a joker that rolls eternal
* Not rely on the base $3/round for small blinds
... almost all of which you already did for orange. Any build which fails for reasons other than passing up a rental/taking it and stuffing your econ already would have failed orange, any other build which fails for reasons other than a perishable turning off already would have failed purple, etc.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Can Blueprint break if you put it next to a banana?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

Personally I’d roll with Yellow, but some of it is personal preference.

I hated Painted, but also it kinda goes against my playstyle. It’s definitely better than black (I cleared gold stake on all other decks before orange stake on black) and I’d believe Green is worse than I remember it because early on I underused discards and didn’t prioritize economy that much. I haven’t touched it in a long time.

One thing I really hated about Painted was getting no negative jokers or blind rerolls and then just getting hosed by Verdant Leaf/Crimson Heart.

Zodiac I might be biased on because my first clear was a sick Constellation/Astronomer combo, but I played some of it fishing for Glass Joker for the sticker at the end and it was fine. The guaranteed first shop buffoon pack helps the worst thing about it.

Magic Deck is high variance, but early triple judgements instead of one or 6 lucky cards instead of 2 or $20 from Death being an early $60 instead is pretty nice when it lines up.

I did take Painted for another spin post-patch and it took a couple tries for a gold clear but I did get stickers for Runner and Shortcut, which was fun (not that I'm likely to ever finish out Completionist++.) I guess it does get shafted pretty badly by 2/5 bosses, 3/5 if you count the vessel which is an even bigger obstacle than normal; I probably lucked out by rolling the joke boss. I still think it's fun, if a long way from the top tier :kimchi:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

El Jeffe posted:

Can Blueprint break if you put it next to a banana?
It does not

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Got my first gold clear. Liking the new patch, much easier for scrubs like me

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Honestly I don't like the reroll strategy; it feels really tedious sitting there holding R and hoping to get a good tags on the first blind.

Personally I prefer to play out the first 2 blinds; you can clear the small blind with a high card straight (8s and higher) or solid flush (average of 8 chips per card) in a single hand and that will give you $7 to use in the initial shop. The large blind can be cleared in 2 hands using a similar setup, even without a joker.

If neither shop gave you a joker with with a power boost your run is dead and you restart.

It's actually a little easier now with the patch, since that first store will always have a pack you can open with your starting cash.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Only if the engine is already roaring and you know for sure you can capitalize on the three blinds worth of scaling. I definitely wouldn't do it just to feed a throwback (That would only be like x1.5 extra right?), but just the other day I had constellation with a blueprint, and the vouchers that make planet cards appear x4 times as often as well as chaos the clown, So I was easily able to wring another x4 mult out of it per ante by taking both hieroglyph and petroglyph.

Besides, the negative effects can be counteracted with other vouchers so if they are worth your time they pay for themselves

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Would a Tag that basically allows you to reach a shop without playing an ante be too weak, too strong, or a good idea?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

It seems like the start of the game is much easier to get a run going now. Things like $15 on beating boss becoming $25, and uncommon/rare/foil/holo/poly card tags also causing the cards to be free, plus the guaranteed buffoon pack in the first shop.

If you have some garbage like 2x boss rerolls on the first ante then yeah, reroll, but I don't think you have to only play when you have e.g. a free cards tag anymore. You can often get past ante 2 without having a decent joker even, if you get at least some half decent tarots and/or planets. It's particularly worth persevering if you get a lot of cash early on, even if you don't get any decent jokers.

E:^^^ Maybe a tag that was like "When selecting the next ante, visit the shop first" would be a good one. Probably not too strong because you still need to have money available etc.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

MOTHERFUCKER

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

smoobles posted:

MOTHERFUCKER
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Any idea what the actual odds were?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If I were localthunk I'd definitely just put that into every patch notes as a lil joke

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

pumpinglemma posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Any idea what the actual odds were?
I'm guessing it was still 1 in 5, (or it's possibly a troll).

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

y'all been had

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Tailscale + Steam Link + running Balatro on a NUC at home and playing Balatro on my iPhone works shockingly well. I wish the mouse option worked better, but on-screen controller is perfectly fine for it. Definitely holding me over until they release an iOS version.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I managed to get a gold clear finally without the new patch but I'm looking forward to it dropping on switch

Wrt steel cards is there something im doing wrong BC like the baron the multiplier being added before my +mult from jokers doesn't seem that impressive. I managed to get a deck that was mostly steel cards by about ante 5, a disgustingly juiced +mult on hand played (I wanna say supernova?) # and a square joker running at about 110 at that point and while it was a reasonably easy clear on white stake I fell over in endless almost immediately once the serious scaling set in.

I had some other X mult as well and it should have been good in theory but it was a bit late (adds X mult for each added card in deck and I was running DNA to dupe steel cards) and probably needed to be a bit higher than x3 by the time I hit endless but I've played decks like this without the steel cards and I'm one shotting most blinds all the way to ante 8 even when the xmult drags a bit behind

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Aipsh posted:

Being on my 'I'm as dumb as poo poo' poo poo on the jokerless challenge. Don't do Five of a kind jacks when this dude can show up!

This is very specifically why I keep mentioning the Jokerless strategy is all in on Aces, keep a good mix of suits, Four of a Kind (scales just as well as Five, get access earlier and extra cards held for steels), keep a balance of Glass and Steel. It is Not Hard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chadzok posted:

This is very specifically why I keep mentioning the Jokerless strategy is all in on Aces, keep a good mix of suits, Four of a Kind, keep a balance of Glass and Steel. It is Not Hard.

I have not gotten one tarot to make glass on Jokerless yet

It'll happen eventually!

e: The Blank Voucher still shows up in Jokerless lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 2, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I managed to get a gold clear finally without the new patch but I'm looking forward to it dropping on switch

Wrt steel cards is there something im doing wrong BC like the baron the multiplier being added before my +mult from jokers doesn't seem that impressive. I managed to get a deck that was mostly steel cards by about ante 5, a disgustingly juiced +mult on hand played (I wanna say supernova?) # and a square joker running at about 110 at that point and while it was a reasonably easy clear on white stake I fell over in endless almost immediately once the serious scaling set in.

I had some other X mult as well and it should have been good in theory but it was a bit late (adds X mult for each added card in deck and I was running DNA to dupe steel cards) and probably needed to be a bit higher than x3 by the time I hit endless but I've played decks like this without the steel cards and I'm one shotting most blinds all the way to ante 8 even when the xmult drags a bit behind

Get a source of mult that's based on card triggers (which means it gets added in before the steels/baron go off), and/or get red seals on everything and throw in a mime joker if you can to retrigger all your held multipliers.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

One thing I realised is that if you're doing something like Green Joker/Ride the Bus where the scaling is based on hands played, then hieroglyph early can actually be hand negative. Getting three more rounds is 9 hands, but if you've got more than 9 rounds ahead of you then the -1 hand penalty has cost you more future hands. And while you don't always have the luxury of playing every hand if you scale too fast, in the end the point is to scale, and if you're arguing hieroglyph prevents you from overscaling then that's not exactly an advert for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Heavy_D posted:

One thing I realised is that if you're doing something like Green Joker/Ride the Bus where the scaling is based on hands played, then hieroglyph early can actually be hand negative. Getting three more rounds is 9 hands, but if you've got more than 9 rounds ahead of you then the -1 hand penalty has cost you more future hands. And while you don't always have the luxury of playing every hand if you scale too fast, in the end the point is to scale, and if you're arguing hieroglyph prevents you from overscaling then that's not exactly an advert for it.

drat I never thought of that. Not to mention that you're going back too lower score thresholds with higher multipliers so you are a more likely to spill over