Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The point of the machine gun sentry is that you can throw it and the gatling at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm definitely not taking the MG sentry when I could take literally any of the other sentries instead, or a better crowd-control stratagem like the cluster bomb.

I, like many others, don't really know what purpose it serves once you have the gatling gun.

e: maybe if it had like 10 times the ammo and could shoot for a couple of minutes straight. A continuous low-level defense against small bugs and a warning of approaching patrols might be worth bringing sometimes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 2, 2024

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Machine Gun Sentry does what the starter pistol sidearm does, it gives you something to put in those slots until you unlock something else.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Reiley posted:

The Machine Gun Sentry does what the starter pistol sidearm does, it gives you something to put in those slots until you unlock something else.

Except they just buffed the base pistol to compete against the Redeemer.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

A tip for anyone who likes running the slow reloading rocket weapons: you can shave a little time (maybe 3/4 of a second) off the reload by animation cancelling. During the reload, there's a specific moment where the rocket icon on the HUD goes from empty to solid white to indicate that it's loaded. If you let the animation play out, it will take a little longer for your Helldiver to finish readying the weapon and stand up again. But if you interrupt it, you pull up from crouch and are good to go immediately. You can interrupt by either A) changing weapon (useful if you need to clear some little guys who crept up on you while you were loading) or B) pressing the strategem button, which will instantly have you ready to fire your rocket. The time save sounds insignificant on paper but you feel that poo poo if you're stuffing another rocket in the tube with a wounded bile titan bearing down on you.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
I find the Machine Gun Sentry feels better against medium numbers of small enemies - it seems to waste less ammo (and be less likely to cause an antidemocratic incident) picking them off.
As such if you're babysitting it and picking off medium enemies it seems to be up longer dealing with the chaff, and is better at picking off stragglers if you're defending a point for a period of time and it's your last line of defense rather than your first.
But that's much more niche than the general purpose of the Gatling, which just puts more damage out in a shorter period of time and cuts down fields of enemies rather than being a sustained pal.
It's also very possible that just the more steady sound of the Machine Gun Sentry makes me THINK it's a slower more considered shooter and the actual effectiveness is moot.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Colorspray posted:

The machine gun sentry is worthless

Not the gatling, the machine gun made pointless by the gatling

What if they just reduced the cooldown so you could throw those things like EATS and keep dupes?

Seems fun, maybe game breaking and might need to be tweaked a bit

Honestly they should just change it to an HMG on 450rpm with like 225 rounds baseline.

It would be worse than the gatling vs. Small stuff but able to gently caress up devs and hive guards and brood commanders and could get lucky vs bigger stuff.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 2, 2024

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Isn't the MG Sentry a lot more precise? I've heard it is much less susceptible to TKing people than the Gatling is, and more deliberate with its target choices and use of ammo?

I've always taken Gatling because it just looks and sounds like its better, but I've honestly not done any testing.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The MG will wait to fire untill it's pointing at it's target but the gatling will sometimes continue firing while sweeping towards it's next target.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I feel like I end up being chased a lot by berserkers? The heavier armor automatons that are not the big ones with flamethrowers. I will try picking up the EAT more and switching up my stratagems a bit. I'm at around 500 super credits so getting a premium bond is still way in the future though

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The ones with the chainsaw arms are the berserkers and yeah sometimes they spawn in mass, you'll get missions that have a lot of berserkers and jetpack raiders so the whole match feels like small and medium bots getting in your face. I feel like the faster shotguns and basically anything that can put a ton of bullets into the waists of the berserkers does good work when they get really close.

The heavy armor bots that sometimes have flamethrowers are hulks. You need anti tank or higher tier armor piercing to take them on from the front but basically anything can take them on from behind, especially if you have access to stun grenades.

I don't really find myself using stratagems on berserkers much, though the Arc Thrower and all machine guns can do pretty good work. And as for hulks there are a lot of stratagems that can delete them pretty quickly, orbital rail, laser, and precision strike, eagle airstrike and 500kg, lots of options there.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Xun posted:

I am level 12 and I am kind of lost? Feels like all of my weapons suck and I get in situations where I have 3+ big dudes chasing me and the only option is to die or hope my team takes them out because I can't actually hurt them.

I'm hanging around 5s and it feels like the medal income has slowed down a ton. I could try 6s but it feels like I'm barely damaging anything tougher than light enemies. Does anyone have some advice?

Join the Goon Discord and look me up there. If you're on the same time I am, I'll help you through a few campaigns. It'll be fun, I promise!

At your level 12, honestly, all the stratagems you need to become A HERO are there.

For support weapons, you'll need to buy the EAT-17 Expendable Anti-Tank (level 3, 3000 req slips) and the AC-8 Autocannon (level 10, 7000 req slips) at a minimum. You'll reliably kill heavy (and we mean HEAVY, like Bile Titans, Chargers, and Hulks) armor units with well-placed shots from the EAT-17 (droppod available every 70 seconds!) and give you reach to distance kill armored buildings like Spore Spewers, Shrieker Nests and Bot Gun Turrets, and the Autocannon is the Jack-of-All-Trades 10-shot murder machine that uses a backpack for ammo storage and will kill anything else that's not heavily armored (remember to reload after your fifth shot because reloading from empty is painfully long). If you have the req slips, strongly consider the GR-8 Recoilless Rifle (level 5, 6000 req), a reloadable heavy AT with backpack ammo. You'll need to hold still for a few seconds for each reload, but the punch can be worth it.

For all other stratagems, start with the ol' reliable Eagle Airstrike (level 2, 4000 req). It's hard to argue with the effectiveness of six 500-pound dumb bombs dropped in a tight line against ... well, anything. The Eagle Cluster Bomb (level 3, 4000 req) completely wrecks light units and spawns back fast. The Eagle Rocket Pods (level 10, 7500 req) are great against a single hard target like a Tank, Charger or Hulk . The AX/LAS-5 "Guard Dog" Rover (level 10, 7500 req) is useful for bug worlds. Pair this with the EAT-17 for extra coverage, but don't use the rover with the autocannon, as the autocannon needs the backpack slot for ammo. If you want laser rover while still having some form of medium-armor capability, buy the APW-1 Anti-Materiel Rifle (level 2, 5000 req), as it doesn't take a backpack slot (note: the AMR scope is bugged. The actual zero is slightly up and to the left of the crosshairs). The Orbital Precision Strike that you get for free comes in handy; you can use it for now for single hardened targets.

For primary weapons, the basic Liberator does the job just fine. Eventually, you'll come across the SG-225 Breaker (Page 4, 20 medals), which is an absolute unit of a shotgun. Get this when you can. (Aside, the awesome Hug Emote is on Page 4 as well for 20 medals.) Even with the recent damage buff to the base pistol, it's a good idea to upgrade to the P-19 Redeemer (Page 2, 5 medals) for your secondary at first opportunity. This likely will be your secondary until you get either the GP-31 Grenade Pistol (Democratic Detonation, Page 3) or the P-4 Senator Big Iron On Your Hip (Steeled Veterans, Page 1).

If you can swing 1,000 super credits, get the Cutting Edge Warbond and spend 20 medals to get the LAS-16 Sickle right on the first page. It's an easy to use, accurate and effectively infinite ammo laser assault rifle (shoot in bursts and don't overheat the rifle) that is excellent at kill waves of small enemies and can kill some single medium-armor enemies with well-placed weakpoint shots. The awesome G-23 Stun grenade is on page 2 of the Cutting Edge Warbond, which will cost a total of 75 medals to get to (60 medals to unlock the page, and 25 for the actual purchase).

As for general gaming advice:
- Join the Goon Discord so you can learn with fun people and teamkill/get teamkilled in hilarious ways.
- This game is at its most fun and best when played as a team sport. Communicate with your Helldivers!
- Sometimes, it's really just better to run away.
- Remember: You do NOT need to be alive for mission success. You DO need to be alive to board Pelican 1 WITH THE SAMPLES. *Get the samples on Pelican 1.*
- Set up your kit to complement your Helldivers. If someone's rolling heavy AT, roll AC/AMR to cover the medium threats/swarms. If no one has heavy AT, bring the EATs.
- Practice calling in stratagems and throwing them accurately. If you're on PC, rebind the stratagem keys to the actual arrow keys on your keyboard instead of the default WASD.
- Read up on weakpoints of medium and heavy threats (Chargers die in one shot with AT applied directly to their broad forehead; bot dropships and gunships die in one shot to their engine pods; shoot the Hulk in their glowing red eye or in the big yellow back; shoot Tanks and Gun Turrets in the back yellow vents). The game rewards aimed fire with fast kills and reduced ammo usage.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 2, 2024

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I mean to be honest, I don't use the gatling sentry either. AC's where it's at.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
A strategem I like on bugs which I don't see very often is the eagle strafing run. It's always safe to use as it begins right on the marker and moves away from you. I often find bugs coming at me in a thin line, especially at extraction, so the shape of the strike, a long thin line of bullets, is decent. It's great for running away due to safe use and easy code, and running away from bugs makes them all line up as they chase you anyway. It can kill a whole pack of nursing spewers or hunters and you get four charges

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mini patch out that fixes some crashes

Best bit:
"Damage-over-time effects may only apply when dealt by the host. We expect to have this fixed in the next patch."

:gritin:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

A strategem I like on bugs which I don't see very often is the eagle strafing run. It's always safe to use as it begins right on the marker and moves away from you. I often find bugs coming at me in a thin line, especially at extraction, so the shape of the strike, a long thin line of bullets, is decent. It's great for running away due to safe use and easy code, and running away from bugs makes them all line up as they chase you anyway. It can kill a whole pack of nursing spewers or hunters and you get four charges

In a similar vein I like to pair orbital gas+orbital gatling on bugs 7+ because I can park each one over a different bug breach. It keeps the small fry suppressed while my teammates line up anti-tank for the inevitable chargers and bile titans. Eagle Napalm (if you're the host) can sometimes cover multiple breaches too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Infinitum posted:

Mini patch out that fixes some crashes

Best bit:
"Damage-over-time effects may only apply when dealt by the host. We expect to have this fixed in the next patch."

:gritin:

When this happens, I am going to get on the discord, and tell everyone, WE ARE DOING NAPALM AND GAS STRIKES TODAY, Bring your Flamethrower and let's have a BONFIRE.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I've found is that the most effective weapons against Berserkers are the various kinds of machinegun. Gatling sentries, HMGs, Stalwarts, whatever. Autocannons will deal with them just like they will anything else the bots can throw at you, but they're curiously ammo-inefficient against 'zerkers.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
I've been playing for a month or two, and it always seemed to me like something was missing from the game. I couldn't put my finger on it, but when I played DRG with friends, there it was.

There's no googly eye mod for the bugs in HD2.

Everything is better with googly eyes.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I've found is that the most effective weapons against Berserkers are the various kinds of machinegun. Gatling sentries, HMGs, Stalwarts, whatever. Autocannons will deal with them just like they will anything else the bots can throw at you, but they're curiously ammo-inefficient against 'zerkers.

It can't be said enough, for berserkers the stomach is a weak point. Aim above the hips, at the glowing hole lookin' bit and your TTK will drop.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Walking away in a straight line also hard counters berserkers because their attacks can't hit you, even if you aren't sprinting.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Darth Walrus posted:

The basic-rear end machine pistol side arm will rip up berserkers too, for some reason.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcnzI0gN7z4

Edit: Purifier + Incendiary Impact looking gooood

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 2, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
A molotov cocktail :sickos:

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Haha they’re gonna do the thing where not getting slowed down in snow is a paid feature AGAIN

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Weird time to talk flamethrower after that war bond preview but it could use some stagger.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
excited for the starship troopers ar

hopefully it doesn't suck!

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

JonBolds posted:

Haha they’re gonna do the thing where not getting slowed down in snow is a paid feature AGAIN

I mean, there's already the muscle enhancement booster which is in the base game

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tibbeh posted:

I mean, there's already the muscle enhancement booster which is in the base game

yeah and you gotta buy the base game. q.e.d., noob

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Looking forward to new one handed options to use with my ballistic shield.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Fishstick posted:

The basic-rear end machine pistol side arm will rip up berserkers too, for some reason.

Because they're piles of HP with no armor and the Redeemer has 1860 damage per mag and like 1100 dps.

Same reason the Breaker is great against them.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
From the new blog post. New Helldivers 2 Warbond brings trap-laying weaponry, arctic-themed armor, and more May 9 - Playstation Blog

quote:

Firepower
AR-61 Tenderizer
A real tentacle-tearer. This high calibre assault rifle has awesome stopping power but limited magazine size, so make each shot count. Unpatriotic “banter” shots are not advisable.

SMG-72 Pummeler
A slower rate of fire than your other SMGs but these concussive rounds will leave your enemies dazed, confused, and still very ugly. Good things come to Helldivers who wait.

PLAS-101 Purifier
Set the trap. Hold the trigger. Let them charge at you. Smile. They’re getting closer. Smile again. Closer. Smile. Closer. Smile. Closer… and release the trigger. S.P.L.A.T. The longer you can hold your nerve, and the trigger, the bigger the damage.

Secondary weapons / Utility Booster
G-13 Incendiary Impact
Don’t waste time reading the instructions, lob it at the enemy and run. This thing detonates on impact and ignites the area in white phosphorus, so make sure you – and your allies – are not standing around having a chat.

P-113 Verdict
The guys in R&D love this one. Gas-operated, semi-automatic, and chambers the largest centrefire cartridge of any lunpistol of its kind. “Rapid Deliberation”, they call it. Quick-draw to look cool in front of your squad.

Motivational Shocks
Literally shocks Helldivers back into action after being hit and slowed by sneaky, unjust attacks like the revolting bug acid vomit. Won’t help you much with area effects like EMS strikes, though.

Armor
CW-36 Winter Warrior
Blend into snowy environments with perfect camouflage. The enemy will never see you coming, until it’s far too late. Ah the sweet smell of stealth. Passive boost – Serve-assisted.

CW-22 Kodiak
Thoroughly pressure-tested by patriotic volunteers as part of the Test Subjects for Super Earth Citizen Advancement Programme. Their sacrifice shall not be forgotten. Passive boost – Fortified.

CW-4 Arctic Ranger
Features a nifty utility belt boasting handy pockets that can be filled with any number of things – pocket knives, mementoes, interesting rocks, Terminid tentacles, bits of bots, etc.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

"A real tentacle-tearer"

does this imply the Illuminate will be dropping by then or is it the new terminid fella?

[edit] it talks about Terminid tentacles later, so I guess we're getting at least one new enemy soon

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 2, 2024

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
efb

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Does the HMG just suck or what? It has like no ammo, runs empty instantly and takes 6 years to reload.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I extracted as a traitor the other day and was disappointed that I wasn’t shot upon my return to the super destroyer.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They shot you when you returned to your ship alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Does the HMG just suck or what? It has like no ammo, runs empty instantly and takes 6 years to reload.

Yeah it sucks. The ammo capacity is a real head scratcher.