Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Harold Halibut. Another Game Pass W, glad I gave this game a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Professor Beetus posted:

Games aren't art except for the sniper elite series

lol

I enjoyed the VR version, and SE5 is good, just way too long.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Professor Beetus posted:

Games aren't art except for the sniper elite series

only the nut shots

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

priznat posted:

only the nut shots
Shooting Hitler's one testicle is art.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place for this question. Google has become an unreadable morass of AI articles which only waste time, even from reputable websites!

I play on an Xbox Series X with an Elite Series Two controller. I've always used Elites, and love their layout. Their construction? Less so.

I've found out the main game I play during this time of the year, MLB The Show, apparently hates the Elite series controller. To the point where they rank dead last, even wired, in most Show metrics and are considered unusable for certain pitching methods.

What's currently the best controller for the following?

- Lowest possible latency
- Easily swappable thumb sticks
- At least four additional buttons on the back

I'll pay for quality, but expect to get a minimum of twelve months from a controller if not more. I'm super gentle.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

SCUF, maybe? https://scufgaming.com/xbox

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I have a friend that has a scuf, and he swears by it. The price is too rich for me

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So my series X runs fine, always has. Runs most things quiet and only a few things slightly audible, but those usually fall in line with others experiences (tekken 8 for example. I read it even routinely overheats ps5 after sometimes). Anyways, wtf is wrong with Eiyuden Chronicle? The thing instantly overheats my machine like crazy, pushing it to the loudest ive ever heard it in a few minutes and it gave me my first overheat shutdown ever on a console. I thought maybe my machine actually was dusty or something cause why else would that happen? Nope, tried all my usual games and it runs silent, tried chronicle again and the xbox started going crazy right away again. Anyone else have this? It's bizarre because there's no way its that demanding of a game.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Lazy devs is always the answer

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I want other people to try this. Such an odd thing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I too make a lot of noise when I am forced to endure animes

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Your Xbox is protesting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

webmeister posted:

Yup.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

webmeister posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Was EA Play down all day? I had a day off and wanted to try Jedi Survivor again, and it wouldn't start (told me I didn't own the game or someone else downloaded it to my PC, but using my GamePass thing to play it). Tried to download a couple other EA play games and they wouldn't work either

lazy devs indeed

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Was EA Play down all day? I had a day off and wanted to try Jedi Survivor again, and it wouldn't start (told me I didn't own the game or someone else downloaded it to my PC, but using my GamePass thing to play it). Tried to download a couple other EA play games and they wouldn't work either

lazy devs indeed

Sounds like a PEBKAC error

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

lazy devs indeed

Someone on reddit had this problem earlier today and it seemed that after they were told to uninstall everything they found out it's a problem on EA's end

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I ended up playing THE CAVE, wonderful puzzle platformer by DoubleFine! Apparently it’s super short too because I’m like 4 hrs in and already reached the last stage.

I held off on playing it for years, because it has weird graphical scrolling, some sort of frame limiting that makes things blurry and stuttery when moving. At the time I thought my machine was not strong enough, but nope, it’s the game. Lazy devs!

Still, very glad I played it.

Puzzles aren’t super hard either, platformer difficulty. Except for a couple of puzzles that I think were bad because of a little design issue (I was moving the right object but for this particular puzzle you needed to actually *keep* your character holding the object out of place). Spent like an extra 30 minutes on that before looking at a walkthrough.

Another mild annoyance is that stages are slightly too big, so sometimes you have to walk a bit too much to try different solutions. Feels a little like padding.

But do give it a shot, it’s by Ron Gilbert of Monkey Island legend, master puzzle designer and funny guy. The characters are lovely and what little interaction you get provides plenty of quirky one liners, love it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

New Vampire Survivors update is fun, takes about an hour to unlock everything. A++ as always.

New Escape Academy update is awful, focusing on player vs player instead of co-op play, which was the whole reason I bought it. Absolutely awful gameplay, achievements and coach, F-.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats a huge bummer about Escape Academy because being PvP (the absolute worst part of the base game) made me nervous it would be bad.

Hopefully devs recover and release Escape Academy 2

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The Series X getting 60FPS for Starfield is good, but lol at it needing to render stuff lower internally to make it happen. But hooray, we're getting things that it should never have shipped without.

I'm glad they added more photo mode stuff first tho, that was such a great move lol

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

John F Bennett posted:

Can't wait to jump back into Starfield, but Fallout 4 has sucked me in again for the moment. Dammit Todd.

I have also been sucked back into fallout 4. I had a conversation with the wifey as I was on the way out the door to pick up dinner and I was excited because I only have like a dozen quests left in the game and I mentioned it was the game I bought my Xbox One to play back in 2018. She didn’t recall it, but whatever. She has her own hobbies. My 11 year old is also playing it so he was asking me about specifics in the game but I was like, “Dude, you were a baby when I played those missions.”

It was kind of adorable because he wanted me to run around and gather supplies and ammo for him on his game after he went to bed.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I ended up playing THE CAVE, wonderful puzzle platformer by DoubleFine! Apparently it’s super short too because I’m like 4 hrs in and already reached the last stage.

Yeah that's an underrated game. It is short, but the idea is you replay it with different sets of characters and see how the puzzles overlap and change. Worth going through 2 or 3 times.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I played the cave ten years ago lol

It is pretty good for what it is

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I have The Cave installed since forever because I'm a big Ron Gilbert fan, and I don't know why I still haven't started it up.

So thanks for the reminder.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

slave to my cravings posted:

I played the cave ten years ago lol

It is pretty good for what it is

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

John F Bennett posted:

I have The Cave installed since forever because I'm a big Ron Gilbert fan, and I don't know why I still haven't started it up.

So thanks for the reminder.

Same but for that new monkey island game. I'm just not the gamer I was when I got Monkey 2 for my birthday back in 1993

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am going to make all the british game critics mad and say that I don't think point-and-click adventures were ever really very good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I am going to make all the british game critics mad and say that I don't think point-and-click adventures were ever really very good

I love ya buddy

But ya blew it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Feels Villeneuve posted:

wrong

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

monkeu island lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mon'Keigh Planet was in development but Games Workshop got cold feet

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Seltzer posted:

So my series X runs fine, always has. Runs most things quiet and only a few things slightly audible, but those usually fall in line with others experiences (tekken 8 for example. I read it even routinely overheats ps5 after sometimes). Anyways, wtf is wrong with Eiyuden Chronicle? The thing instantly overheats my machine like crazy, pushing it to the loudest ive ever heard it in a few minutes and it gave me my first overheat shutdown ever on a console. I thought maybe my machine actually was dusty or something cause why else would that happen? Nope, tried all my usual games and it runs silent, tried chronicle again and the xbox started going crazy right away again. Anyone else have this? It's bizarre because there's no way its that demanding of a game.

I’m playing it on PC and it’s full of stutters and frame drops on my system that has no problem with double the framerate in much more demanding games. It’s a small indie studio so just poorly optimized. Too bad because the game is great otherwise. Hopefully they will address it at some point.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

syntaxfunction posted:

The Series X getting 60FPS for Starfield is good, but lol at it needing to render stuff lower internally to make it happen. But hooray, we're getting things that it should never have shipped without.

I'm glad they added more photo mode stuff first tho, that was such a great move lol

It's good because right now the best use case for the game is a pretty desktop generator. I only played the game for about 30 hours but I got a lot of nice screenshots for my desktop folder. I wish Dragons Dogma 2 had a photo mode as good, they don't even have a free camera, all you can do is rotate around your character. I guess Baldur's Gate 3 is finally getting a photo mode but I feel like not getting any dlc or a sequel made by Larian is damping my enthusiasm to play it again any time soon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

30fps for a game in first person :cawg: not a chance!!!

bethesda musta been smokin some preemo ganj when they put out starfailed

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

30fps for a game in first person :cawg: not a chance!!!

bethesda musta been smokin some preemo ganj when they put out starfailed

im sure they did their best

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Started playing Fallout 4 on Series X and I died, it auto saved, and crashed. Any time I try to open the game now it hangs on the Please Stand By screen. I tried reinstall, delete local saves, etc.

Anyone ever had this? I got away from console gaming for a long time but was lured back by hopefully not having to deal with this kind of poo poo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Reboot your PC

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

kri kri posted:

Reboot your PC

There's just a really ugly guy in my monitor's reflection now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Your Xbox is trying to save you time