Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'd been spoiled on it already by people complaining but I'm a big fan of Shady Sands getting nuked. I like that nuclear war is not some increasingly distant event in humanities history and every time civilisation gets built up theres still the threat of it getting knocked down again. It means this era could actually be the capital E End of the world and not a new beginning, if humanity cant get its poo poo together it could just keep bombing until whats left of it and the biosphere falls apart. War something something.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, not only was Shady Sands moved at least a considerable distance before (all the way from Western Nevada to Central California), but it was always only the capital.

Honestly, retconning it again is a little annoying, but I know why they did it. As far as the fate of the NCR, the show never said it was completely finished, and they introduced a vault that still seems to be pro-NCR at the end of the show. Arguably, they needed to switch things up a bit for narrative reasons, but honestly, I don't think the fallout universe would be that interesting if everything was just a stable but flawed polity trying to work out taxes and administrative jurisdictions. Obsidian had honestly written the franchise into a corner, and putting a pause button on the NCR was kind of the only way out of it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I would disagree - Obsidian had written a number of ways that the NCR could have been taken, including falling apart, but the writers chose 'divorced man throws a shitfit'.

The Amazon website has a series of shorts titles "The Vault Sellers Guide", hosted by pre-'Roomba' Bud, which makes reference to a central, technological advanced Vault-Tec office and a number of computer systems within. This could be bringing Vault 0, or some facsimile thereof, into the story.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, not only was Shady Sands moved at least a considerable distance before (all the way from Western Nevada to Central California), but it was always only the capital.

Honestly, retconning it again is a little annoying, but I know why they did it. As far as the fate of the NCR, the show never said it was completely finished, and they introduced a vault that still seems to be pro-NCR at the end of the show. Arguably, they needed to switch things up a bit for narrative reasons, but honestly, I don't think the fallout universe would be that interesting if everything was just a stable but flawed polity trying to work out taxes and administrative jurisdictions. Obsidian had honestly written the franchise into a corner, and putting a pause button on the NCR was kind of the only way out of it.
They really didn't, unless with "into a corner" you mean "made it harder for Bethesda to keep the setting in recent-post-apocalypse forever because they're creatively bankrupt". But hey, they found a solution to that!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just consider the TV show to be an entirely distinct interpretation of the story.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Rewatched Dr Strangelove. Forgot a lot of the jokes since it’s been a decade since I last watched. Incredible movie. Like Hank and Shady Sands, a lot of mass death occurs because a guy in power is feeling feelings of inadequacy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Steve Yun posted:

Rewatched Dr Strangelove. Forgot a lot of the jokes since it’s been a decade since I last watched. Incredible movie. Like Hank and Shady Sands, a lot of mass death occurs because a guy in power is feeling feelings of inadequacy.

You'd feel that way too if you knew the reds were trying to steal your fluids.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

You'd feel that way too if you knew the reds were trying to steal your fluids.

I always use that guys house for a base until i get access to the apartment in vegas.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I always use that guys house for a base until i get access to the apartment in vegas.

How do you sleep there knowing there's commie ghosts haunting it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LashLightning posted:

I would disagree - Obsidian had written a number of ways that the NCR could have been taken, including falling apart, but the writers chose 'divorced man throws a shitfit'.

The Amazon website has a series of shorts titles "The Vault Sellers Guide", hosted by pre-'Roomba' Bud, which makes reference to a central, technological advanced Vault-Tec office and a number of computer systems within. This could be bringing Vault 0, or some facsimile thereof, into the story.

The Mayor of New Portland simply couldn't handle seeing a nicer city than his.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I've always used the hotel room in Novac, because it's real close to the fast travel spot. The Lucky 38 is for storing inactive companions and that's it -- too many loading screens otherwise.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

RBA Starblade posted:

The Mayor of New Portland simply couldn't handle seeing a nicer city than his.

Still one of my favorite jokes from that show is when Portland Magazine’s cover story is Seattle

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

The guy from Dr. Strangelove has a house in Fallout?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

The guy from Dr. Strangelove has a house in Fallout?

Yes, actually he does. One of the houses in Nipton you can find that exact message on a terminal in a house full of traps. It also has some crafting stations in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's protecting his vital essence.

And his living room has half its space dedicated to a cage full of giant scorpions.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Finished the season and I loved it, beginning to end. They stuffed an absolutely insane amount of fan service in there, and it somehow wasn't absolutely obnoxious, which is probably the most impressive part of it

Also thought I saw someone who looked like Mr. House at that board meeting, represeting RobCo, and then they just show the new vegas skyline at the end? Hooting and hollering time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That was House. RobCo is his company.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was just reminded that he was born in 2020. He's currently watching toy unboxing videos on an ipad or whatever kids watch these days.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

I was just reminded that he was born in 2020. He's currently watching toy unboxing videos on an ipad or whatever kids watch these days.

Andrew Tate and the Joe Rogan Experience if people complaining about their recommendations is anything to go by

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ilmucche posted:

Andrew Tate and the Joe Rogan Experience if people complaining about their recommendations is anything to go by

While that's more likely today alas, Toddler house watching toy unboxings of a bunch of weird robot toys seems a much more house thing to do.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Oh I read that as born in 2000 my bad. I wonder what modern youtube would look like in fallout universe

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Actually they're trapped in the 70s which means it looked pretty much exactly the same after the bombs fell, except the electricity was more reliable

This is unironically true of 1950s London thanks to the Luftwaffe. If you look at some footage from that time it could come straight out of Fallout.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I just finished the show, and while I found it enjoyable enough in the moment, it makes less and less sense the more I think about it. Apologies if these points have already been brought up.

1. How did Moldaver arrange the fake marriage? Presumably the Overseers communicate with each other and Dad would be aware that Vault 32 is dead. Even if he wasn’t, was Moldaver just chilling in 32 for years hoping that this would be the day someone would try to set something up?
2. What’s Moldaver’s deal, anyway? How did she survive 200 years? She wouldn’t have been frozen in Vault 31 since she wasn’t part of their project, and if she was she wouldn’t need Dad’s code. Maybe she was frozen somewhere else, but if that’s the case, it kind of feels like a lame cop out.
3. If Barb knew when the bombs were going to drop, why didn’t she have her daughter with her that week instead of with Cooper? She was important enough to be present at the top secret Bond villain treason meeting, so I don’t buy that she wasn’t kept in the loop. Some have suggested that someone beat Vault Tec to the punch, but if that’s the case, it renders the big dramatic reveal that it was Vault Tec all along to be a lame fakeout. It’s possible, but strikes me as bad storytelling.
4. If Cooper is aware of the flaw in power armor, why didn’t he one-shot Maximus back in the beginning? Why didn’t he kill Maximus along with all those other dudes at the end? They hadn’t had any interaction since their fight and he’d have no reason to spare him.

The more I think about this show, the more it bothers me. I will keep watching, but I’m tempering my expectations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jimmy Noskill posted:

2. What’s Moldaver’s deal, anyway? How did she survive 200 years?

This is what I'm wondering, too.

Thought she might have been some sort of stable ghoul, but she died from a single gunshot wound.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She froze herself. The PC in FO4 also got frozen into the future, it happens.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm guessing either cryo or another Vault experiment where they clone a body and keep installing the same brain into each new one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also Vault Tec didn't literally drop the bomb, they just made sure the world situation remained tense so they could sell more stuff.

They didn't know when the bombs were going to hit anymore than anyone else.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Overseer's terminal in vault 111 mentioned they didn't get as early of a warning as they expected, but they did get an early warning. Whatever that means

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

twistedmentat posted:

Also Vault Tec didn't literally drop the bomb, they just made sure the world situation remained tense so they could sell more stuff.

I thought it was meant to be ambiguous on who actually started the war.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

The parallel scenes with Barb and Dad make it very clear that the audience is supposed to believe that Vault Tec can and did drop the bombs themselves. If this wasn’t the case, then why even frame those scenes the way they did? To subvert my expectations?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Jimmy Noskill posted:

4. If Cooper is aware of the flaw in power armor, why didn’t he one-shot Maximus back in the beginning? Why didn’t he kill Maximus along with all those other dudes at the end? They hadn’t had any interaction since their fight and he’d have no reason to spare him.

Could be because he could tell Maximus was a bumbling idiot and didn't want to waste his armor piercing bullet- or he tried to do it on Maximus as well, but because Titus was using "Tempered Lining" on his armor, as Maximus comments to Titus on their vertibird ride, it simply didn't penetrate properly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimmy Noskill posted:

The parallel scenes with Barb and Dad make it very clear that the audience is supposed to believe that Vault Tec can and did drop the bombs themselves. If this wasn’t the case, then why even frame those scenes the way they did? To subvert my expectations?

It's so that they can continue that plot in season 2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

See Westworld - Nolan absolutely likes to 'kill' characters and then just keep them around.

e: \/ I am also on the 'this was explicitly answered' wagon, people are desperately trying to see something that's not there and unsee something that is. For reasons I can't quite work out.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 2, 2024

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

The writers had a character look directly into the camera, say the series’s tagline, and reveal the answer to a longstanding mystery while ominous music played. They had this run in parallel with another character revealing that they did it again in the future.

If they decide to go “gotcha, that was a fakeout!” then that’s just lovely storytelling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's modern TV writing. It's a decent Fallout show but it still has a lot of the trademarks of modern TV where nothing can really get fully resolved because you need dangling threads for another season that may or may not come.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Jimmy Noskill posted:

As others have mentioned, there was the tempered lining explanation. But more broadly, I reckon this is just one of those TV story concessions that you aren't supposed to dwell on much. Audience gets a fight scene, and Maximus continues his story. Every show contorts things to tell a story, though the best narratives aren't as obvious with plot armor.

It's like asking why Moldaver made no attempt to convince Vault 33 that Hank was evil. Between her insider knowledge of Vault Tec, familiarity with Mother McClane (and proof via her Pipboy), she probably could have made a decent argument. It likely would've made more sense, but then you don't have the multi-timeline reveal at the end of the season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cooper had used up all his AP by the time that Maximus showed up.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

DarkLich posted:

But more broadly, I reckon this is just one of those TV story concessions that you aren't supposed to dwell on much. Audience gets a fight scene, and Maximus continues his story. Every show contorts things to tell a story, though the best narratives aren't as obvious with plot armor.

This is the correct answer, but I still find it unsatisfying. I’m one of those people who can’t just turn off their brain and enjoy spectacle, so things like this bug me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

That's modern TV writing. It's a decent Fallout show but it still has a lot of the trademarks of modern TV where nothing can really get fully resolved because you need dangling threads for another season that may or may not come.

I dunno if this is much different from television in the 90s or 80s or 00's or whatever...

You know, stuff that's like "My wife was killed, her killer is still out there, one day I'll catch her." or "The apocalypse is coming, and we've got to be ready. Eventually." or "This is the story of how I met your mother. But not this season. Or next season. You gotta wait a bunch of seasons for the reveal."

IMO it's just denser now than it was before because television is just full of denser plotlines full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Could be because he could tell Maximus was a bumbling idiot and didn't want to waste his armor piercing bullet- or he tried to do it on Maximus as well, but because Titus was using "Tempered Lining" on his armor, as Maximus comments to Titus on their vertibird ride, it simply didn't penetrate properly.

This, and Maximus knew how dangerous Cooper is and just ran/hid away.

My take on the Bond villain scene was that VaultTec was ensuring that even if the bomb never drops they are willing to do it themselves when everything is in place. They didn't get as early warning as they would have wanted because they didn't drop the bomb, someone beat them to it. The scene shows to what degree VaultTec was willing to go to keep their stranglehold of the government, but keeps the lore "no-one is sure who started it first". It also shows that VaultTec has access to nukes, so one was used to wipe NCR's capital off the map because they started to mess around with the Vaults and their inhabitants.

Dad probably knew that Vault 32 was purged (probably by pumping Psycho to airvents or so) because they found out that Vault 31 is a popsickle storage and that all the talk about ground level radiation was bullshit. Why he went through with the marriage exchange, I have no idea. Maybe he thought that they are sending few people from Vault 31 to act like dwellers from 32? They say in the show that the cryo chambers in Vault 31 can be reloaded, unlike the ones in Vault 111.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 2, 2024