Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
There is an easy way to solve cube addiction, remove their leg privileges and they'll eventaully go into a coma for 10 days and be cured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If an event randomly removed a pawn's legs and put them in a coma for 10 days I'd be pretty loving pissed and would think that's bullshit but I won't yuck your yum

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

SugarAddict posted:

There is an easy way to solve cube addiction, remove their leg privileges and they'll eventaully go into a coma for 10 days and be cured.

A nice caravan trip (with at least one other non-cubed colonist) will tip them into the same coma without leg confiscation.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Re: dryads, the Vanilla Ideology Expanded - Dryads mod gives them a solid boost. When you get three dryads you can "awaken" them to merge into a single, buffed version that will survive independently of the tree for about three years. So each time you get 3 you can hit awaken and then change the dryad type to get a good variety of them from even a single tree.

Some are pretty busted, like the carriers becoming pack animals that don't eat or the medicine maker that can be milked for neutroamine.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I've only messed with it a little bit, but so far it doesn't feel like there's much point going deep into genetics outside of roleplay purposes. You need to devote a fair amount of research time, space, power and materials to it just to get started, and even then it's fairly RNG-dependent as to what genes you get out of it. If your goal is just to make your colonists stronger, pretty much any other method is quicker and more efficient.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Genetics would probably feel a bit more impactful if there wasn't the option to make your Ultimate Lifeform Catgirls from scratch when starting out.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

genetics are just Cool. not much else

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Broken Cog posted:

Genetics would probably feel a bit more impactful if there wasn't the option to make your Ultimate Lifeform Catgirls from scratch when starting out.

it's cool that it lets you do this but yeah it kind of shuts off the interest in doing anything with all the tech and constructions associated with it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Genetics is incredibly powerful because it operates on a completely different resource pool and stacks with everything else as a result. The RNG of gene packs is the only thing that keeps it from being incredibly broken, because once you have a full gene library you can turn even the trashiest pawns into reasonably good soldiers basically for free. If you can pick up something like Robust early it can make a huge difference.

Once you get to the point of needing to fill out your library I think you're actually better off going on caravan runs to every settlement to buy them rather than trying to fish them with the gene extractor. Still RNG, but it takes less time and you have a better chance for the rarer stuff that way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Inadequately posted:

I've only messed with it a little bit, but so far it doesn't feel like there's much point going deep into genetics outside of roleplay purposes. You need to devote a fair amount of research time, space, power and materials to it just to get started, and even then it's fairly RNG-dependent as to what genes you get out of it. If your goal is just to make your colonists stronger, pretty much any other method is quicker and more efficient.

Genetics as an in-run thing is generally reserved for if you're running a very long forever colony for the reasons you say. However, it's absolutely not at all weak. It takes time and effort to build up a gene library worth a poo poo and getting all the infrastructure in place is expensive, but once you do, it can provide insane bonuses that cannot be achieved in any other way and most importantly stacks with all of the other ways you can buff your pawns.

Basically, it's useless if you like playing poverty challenge runs or only play any given colony for a year or two before getting bored and moving on to a new concept, but if you want to run the 10 year generational colony where everyone becomes a transhumanist cyborg god, gene modding is a key ingredient to that.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I wish there were a few more genes in vanilla that weren't tied to xenotypes.

Biotech is a wonderful expansion and it's certainly big enough as is, but a system that allowed random mutations to happen (or be induced with random mutagen or something) that could introduce minor good or bad traits, and that let you pass these on or isolate them for gene mods would be great.

Vanilla Genetics Expanded almost gets it right, but like all their mods it tends to be way too much in a way that trips over its own feet.

You can make time pass more quickly (as in, fewer days per season and people age much faster) if you want your colony to focus more on generations and all that. It's kinda fun in VGE to start with an absolutely cursed xenotype and slowly fix all their problems and make a race of supermen.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 2, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012

worm girl posted:

Biotech is a wonderful expansion and it's certainly big enough as is, but a system that allowed random mutations to happen (or be induced with random mutagen or something) that could introduce minor good or bad traits, and that let you pass these on or isolate them for gene mods would be great.

There's a mod for gene mutations and I tried it out, but I ended up dropping it because it frankly wasn't fun scanning every pawn to see if they had a gene I was looking for. With pawns that weren't baseliners it was especially bad, because now there's 15 or so genes in the window and I can't tell at a glance which ones are part of the original genetype or a mutation.

Vanilla's gene inheritance system is also pretty bad when it comes to generating hybrids so trying to practice space eugenics just gets you trash.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

As someone who hasn't played since 1.0 and generally gave the expansions a side-eye as things mods already did, is there a priority list to what expansions are worth grabbing and in what order?

I'm seeing a lot of activity around Rimworld since Anomaly dropped, and it's making me think it might be time to pick it up again.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Warmachine posted:

As someone who hasn't played since 1.0 and generally gave the expansions a side-eye as things mods already did, is there a priority list to what expansions are worth grabbing and in what order?

I'm seeing a lot of activity around Rimworld since Anomaly dropped, and it's making me think it might be time to pick it up again.

Biotech is the all-around best first pick, if you only want one DLC it's probably this one. After that it starts getting into what kind of gameplay you like or would like to see expanded on; Royalty adds stuff to fill in the mid- to late-game, and Ideology makes alternative colony styles much more viable. Anomaly is still fairly new so it's hard to judge, the content is generally good but the theme is obviously different and there's an open question of how well it integrates when you don't want to go all-in on horror content.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I love forgetting to give a newborn a name when they're born, so they're just known as "Baby" forevermore.

Warmachine posted:

I'd actually recommend Ideology or Royalty to start with. Anomaly seems to be a bit more for people experienced with the game, and while a lot of people find Biotech to be the best DLC, it can be a bit overwhelming. I actually find I don't interact much with the xenogenes other than getting different recruits.

So I'd say Ideology > Royalty (optional) > Biotech > Anomaly.

They're all good though

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Royalty is the most skippable DLC by far, and I say that as someone who likes it a lot. Anomaly has basically completely superseded it as the "I'm going to focus my run around interacting with this DLC gimmick" story focused DLC because it's much more fleshed out than the fairly barebones Empire. If you're not heavily interacting with the nobility system, all you're really getting from Royalty are psycasts, which in vanilla basically boils down to berserk pulse and neuroquake.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
My personal priority list for DLC

1. Ideology
Allows you to make the identity of your colonies more explicit. Essential for roleplaying your faction which is, in my mind, most core to improving Rimworld.

2. Biotech
There's so much in Biotech. I can see why it's others favorite. There's about double the content in here than in any other expansion. Genetics are very cool.

3. Anomaly
A lot of fun, but really steers you in one direction. Changes how the game feels if you pursue the anomaly route.

4. Royalty
Not bad. Actually pretty good. But by comparison to everything else, it is anemic.

Rimworld is, to my mind, one of the best games. The DLCs are more or less all bangers. You really can't go wrong.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 2, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Ideology is the biggest and also the worst DLC because it feels so clunky and awkward, and a lot of its mechanics conflict with each other in ways that are annoying even for experienced players. That doesn't mean it's bad, but there are a lot of boneheaded decisions and many of the mechanics involve staring at spreadsheets for half an hour so you can avoid getting a -2 to morale on half your pawns. Royalty is the smallest and feels more like a very very good patch than actual DLC, though it comes with a bunch of new songs. Anomaly is great but it is so transformative that it's probably best to pick it up after you've already experienced the game.

Biotech is the best DLC by a long shot. It adds poison gas, children, a bunch of races including vampires, a whole new tech tree where you get robot buddies, it's wonderful, and it all works very well.

isndl posted:

There's a mod for gene mutations and I tried it out, but I ended up dropping it because it frankly wasn't fun scanning every pawn to see if they had a gene I was looking for. With pawns that weren't baseliners it was especially bad, because now there's 15 or so genes in the window and I can't tell at a glance which ones are part of the original genetype or a mutation.

Vanilla's gene inheritance system is also pretty bad when it comes to generating hybrids so trying to practice space eugenics just gets you trash.

Yeah none of the mods I've seen quite get there.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 2, 2024

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

worm girl posted:

Ideology is the biggest and also the worst DLC because it feels so clunky and awkward

How so? I'm not sure I disagree, but I only find it clunky or awkward to the extent that Rimworld is already a bit clunky and awkward.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Oh

Alright

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What are some good animals to train my 7-year old in melee on?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Kanos posted:

Royalty is the most skippable DLC by far, and I say that as someone who likes it a lot. Anomaly has basically completely superseded it as the "I'm going to focus my run around interacting with this DLC gimmick" story focused DLC because it's much more fleshed out than the fairly barebones Empire. If you're not heavily interacting with the nobility system, all you're really getting from Royalty are psycasts, which in vanilla basically boils down to berserk pulse and neuroquake.

Even without engaging with the Empire there's plenty of neat stuff in Royalty. Lots of cool bionics, new armor and weapons (persona weapons are especially fun if you set one as your ideology relic for a quest to get a guaranteed masterwork one), new events. It's not as obvious as the other DLCs but it's stuff I'll make use of every game.

Ideology adds support for weird and wacky colonies but I don't think it's good as a first pick because a newer player doesn't know what they want to do yet. No point giving the option to make unusual religions if they're sticking to a normal colony on their first play through anyways. It doesn't give you new things to do so much as let you do existing things differently, if that makes any sense.

Biotech is big but touches the general gameplay loop in several areas for a better experience from start to finish - the addition of children has a huge impact on how the game plays and how the player gets invested into the success of the colony. Xenotypes makes factions a lot more unique and significantly changes how raids feel, like how neanderthals and impids are both tribal but behave nothing alike. Mechanitors and gene-modding is gravy on the meat and potatoes of those additions.

Anomaly might be described as basically adding a main quest of sorts and a ton of content to support it. A lot of structure with how threats appear and highly unique in what kinds of threats they are, but also wants you to know how the game is played so you can go in blindly and react to things for the full experience. I like what I've seen of it so far, but I haven't seen everything in it yet either.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I don't enjoy about Ideology is it feels almost mandatory to convert your colonists before recruiting them if you have any medium or high impact colony beliefs

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Broken Cog posted:

What are some good animals to train my 7-year old in melee on?

Squirrels, mice, etc should die in a single swing and if they don't only deliver small bleeding bites in response.

There's also meleeing downed enemies so they can be in the relatively safe raider clean up crew or help hunters who don't execute the beasts cleanly...

I recall modded activites for recreation that'll train up melee though they seemed painfully slow for that actual purpose.

Lastly the school of hard knocks approach to use them as an active fighter, though good luck without modding in kid armor. Thing is you don't need to be good at melee to body block and force others into it!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

George Sex - REAL posted:

How so? I'm not sure I disagree, but I only find it clunky or awkward to the extent that Rimworld is already a bit clunky and awkward.

Converting prisoners is a pain in the rear end and adds an annoying extra step to recruitment.
Second order simulation failures - that is, players having to resort to weird strategies to manage flaws of the game's systems - related to the above, namely you need to build a terrible shithole prison and feed your prisoners human corpses in order to convince them to join your ideoligion, then move them to a nice prison where they are treated well in order to get them to join your faction. You could chalk it up to brainwashing, but wouldn't that apply to both conversion and recruitment? It's obviously just poorly planned out.
A bunch of traits make people easier or harder to convert in ways that don't make sense. Why are psychopaths and slow learners resistant to conversion?
All raiders show up as fanatics who are totally devoted to their ideo. Given that raiders are canonically capturing people and pressing them into service, you'd think at least some of them would jump at the chance to get free.
Forced failure chance on rituals, no matter how much time and money you pump into your platinum techno cathedral. You get poor enough returns on investments in your ritual site that it's generally not worth the bother.
Few rewards for successful rituals, and they mostly don't make a lot of sense. One of them (a new recruit) is wildly good and the others are all worthless.
Rewards for ancient complexes are generally trash.
Ritual and role ability cooldowns overlapping in a way that doesn't make a lot of sense at a glance, such as the conversion role ability not proccing the ritual cooldown, but the ritual proccing the role ability cooldown.
Public executions require that the prisoner be able to walk under their own power. 90% of the time, a captured raider will be too hurt to walk, and often by the time they have healed, the colony no longer considers them guilty, making the ritual pointless unless you'd like to waste your leader's cooldowns running a trial for them.
The only ideology that uses hussars (who are already genetically miserable) makes them feel guilty for taking a drug that they need to survive. People were defending this one as an example of the evils of imperalism, but it's obviously just an unintended interaction between Biotech and Ideology that has never been addressed.
If you get a guest pawn whose ideo forbids taking drugs, they won't avoid them by default, meaning you'll sometimes have an imperial guest who will decide to smoke weed because that's OK here and then flip out about it. You can micro this to prevent it by manually setting their permissions every time you get a new guest, but it's still something that should be prevented by default.
Gauranlen take an astonishing amount of labor and micromanagement compared to what you get in return. The mechanics are super clunky compared to mechanitors. Even if Gauranlen are supposed to be less powerful, that doesn't mean they need to have a worse UI and poorer functionality overall.
The precept selection screen is atrocious, adding a precept opens a menu with like a gajillion buttons.
Most precepts amount to a piddly +2 or -2 moodlet.
Multi-ideo colonies clutter the UI with a bunch of rituals that you're not going to do. The characters all hate each other. The easiest way to convert a colonist is not to do the packed-in rituals, but to arrest them and send them to the previously mentioned bad prison until they've been tortured enough to switch. Then you simply let them out and they're fine.
The raiding ideo is built around the poorly implemented caravanning system. There's nothing interesting to raid.
The transhuman ideo creates second order simulation failures, like giving people peg legs to shut them up. Transhumanists shouldn't want peg legs, they should want to be Adam Jensen.
Transhumanists complain if they don't get age reversal once a year, but you can't give them four age reversals in a row to shut them up for four years.
Slavery is very badly implemented. There's no way to create distinct ideological roles for your slaves, meaning if they're the same ideo they'll expect all the same comforts your colonists are getting. If you make them a separate ideo, they will still try to convert the colonists passively and will have all the usual multi-ideo issues. Slavery is also just flat out worse than not doing slavery, and since slaves consider wood to be a weapon, there's no way to effectively prevent slave rebellions without also preventing them from doing work. Given that slavery is such a prickly topic, they'd have been better off not implementing it at all as what they spent is not worth what they got.
The new clothing doesn't do anything interesting. If the UI is going to be cluttered with 15 different hats, I'd like it if they had meaningfully different stats. Imagine if Burkas and visage masks prevented ugly/beauty modifiers from taking effect, or if shadecones protected light-sensitive pawns from the sun. It's just lazy.
There's very little new content. The game presents the illusion of a lot of mechanics, but 95% of them are just mood modifiers that prompt you to play in ways which were already possible.
For the most part, there are few benefits to actually playing your ideology, it's mostly about avoiding penalties.

It's not a bad DLC, but it is a badly put together DLC. For an experienced player it adds a lot of longevity to the game, but I don't think a new player is going to get much out of it.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 2, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can just use your ideology priest to convert people in jail on cd. Goes pretty fast if they've got decent social

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The worst part about Ideology is it takes longer to start a new colony. I have to come up with funny names for like 3 roles and 4 rituals and 3 relics.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Broken Cog posted:

You can just use your ideology priest to convert people in jail on cd. Goes pretty fast if they've got decent social

drat if only I'd extensively discussed the problems with that in my post.

Mzbundifund posted:

The worst part about Ideology is it takes longer to start a new colony. I have to come up with funny names for like 3 roles and 4 rituals and 3 relics.

This is also a mortal sin, but fluid ideology sorta fixed it so I'm not going to complain about it as much.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

worm girl posted:

drat if only I'd extensively discussed the problems with that in my post.

I really don't find it to be as big of an issue as you're making it out to be. I'm talking about the priest conversion ability btw, which lets you keep the prisoners on recruit/reduce resistance while you simultaneously convert them. Most of the time I find they'll be converted before they hit 0 resistance.

You can also just... not convert them and use the conversion ritual after you've recruited them. If you hit masterful it converts them instantly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I interpreted it as the conversion ritual involves using the moral guide's conversion ability, but in a better setting so it works better. You can also just use it wherever but it's not as effective without the ambiance, which makes perfect sense, that's what churches (the building) are for.

I also don't bother with gaming the certainty regen mood thing. It's probably more important if you are relying only on warden conversion power on a particularly strong minded person, but the conversion ritual does a big chunk of conversion power so it doesn't enormously matter if you just wait to do it a couple of times and treat the warden as a sort of maintenence effect.

I've also been running a multi ideology colony in my current game and it doesn't really cause problems socially? Some of the ideologies themselves are problems like I have a guy who goes ballistic if i cut down trees, but the colonists themselves all get along fine with being four different ideoligions.

I definitely would consider them being a tree hugger as a cost if I wanted to recruit one but that just seems like the system functioning as intended. Some people you might want to recruit have Bad Ideas that you have to deal with, just like problematic traits. Except with ideology you can fix them, potentially, if you're willing to invest the time. Or you can just not and deal with the difficulties.

It's quite handy having a transhumanist in the colony because they can build the sleep boosters and the brain tingler but the rest of my colony doesn't pitch a fit if they don't have one.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 2, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There's no problem having multiple ideologies in your colony as long as the tenets don't clash too hard. If you're running a fairly basic ideology you can accept whoever without conversion and it's totally fine.

You only run into issues with multiple ideologies when you're running Cannibal Treefucker Transhumanist Masochists or something, which, well, the game does warn you you're making an extreme ideology.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The game would warn you about that because the game is a loving splitter.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

OwlFancier posted:

I interpreted it as the conversion ritual involves using the moral guide's conversion ability, but in a better setting so it works better. You can also just use it wherever but it's not as effective without the ambiance, which makes perfect sense, that's what churches (the building) are for.

It is actually better to not use it, because the ability doesn't have a fail chance.

Having the ability to optimize enough to get around the design flaws doesn't mean there aren't design flaws.

Kanos posted:

There's no problem having multiple ideologies in your colony as long as the tenets don't clash too hard. If you're running a fairly basic ideology you can accept whoever without conversion and it's totally fine.

You only run into issues with multiple ideologies when you're running Cannibal Treefucker Transhumanist Masochists or something, which, well, the game does warn you you're making an extreme ideology.

All the raiders you are primarily drawing recruits from have cannibal treefucker ideologies by default unless you spend an hour fixing this at embark.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The ritual has a fail chance but is vastly more effective than the ability when it works, which it does more often than not if you have a socially skilled moral guide and good environmental factors for the ritual. So what I would generally do is open with the ritual (so if it fails you don't really lose anything) and then use the conversion ability and warden conversions until the next ritual opportunity rolls around. If they still aren't converted then it's up to you if you want to roll the dice (you should generally be able to expect a good outcome even if not a brilliant one) or just convert them the rest of the way, but the ritual is certainly very useful. I don't personally find the failure possibility to be a problem? The outcomes are not any more catastrophic than the inherently random nature of the events the game throws at you. Sometimes you get good outcomes, sometimes you get bad ones. A number of events in the game require user initiation and can have negative outcomes or unexpected challenges to deal with. The game is kind of about responding to those.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

there should 100% be a mod that just converts pawns to your ideoligion on join. yeah it makes it easier but it's literally just a chore

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

George Sex - REAL posted:

My personal priority list for DLC

1. Ideology
Allows you to make the identity of your colonies more explicit. Essential for roleplaying your faction which is, in my mind, most core to improving Rimworld.

2. Biotech
There's so much in Biotech. I can see why it's others favorite. There's about double the content in here than in any other expansion. Genetics are very cool.

3. Anomaly
A lot of fun, but really steers you in one direction. Changes how the game feels if you pursue the anomaly route.

4. Royalty
Not bad. Actually pretty good. But by comparison to everything else, it is anemic.

Rimworld is, to my mind, one of the best games. The DLCs are more or less all bangers. You really can't go wrong.

I think this might be my answer. If this was 2020, I'd definitely say I was experienced, but that was 4 years ago. It was a nice trip down memory lane looking at my alpha/beta posts. :3: Husky-based logistics.

edit: I have a little under 1400 hours in the game, all from alpha and beta. Jesus.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Only want to note the Age Reversal thing isn't true, Transhumanist meme only requires Age Reversal when they're over 25 so you absolutely can slam them in there until they're biologically 20 and they can go a few years before whining about it again.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Zore posted:

Only want to note the Age Reversal thing isn't true, Transhumanist meme only requires Age Reversal when they're over 25 so you absolutely can slam them in there until they're biologically 20 and they can go a few years before whining about it again.

That doesn't mean that it isn't true. If I age a 50 year old down to 30, they're still going to cry about turning 31.

That might make sense if the meme was that pawns wanted to be young forever, but it isn't. It's that they want one cycle a year sk they don't age further. There's no way to bank age regressions to keep them happy.

Transhumanist is an OP meme that makes it well worth it, but the fact that you have to micro it in this one specific way makes it extra annoying.

It would be better if they just got a negative moodlet that started at 40 and went up every 5 years, which would be temporarily removed by a turn in the pod. That'd solve the problem by letting you just grind them down to a point where they weren't worried in one marathon session.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 2, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

worm girl posted:

All the raiders you are primarily drawing recruits from have cannibal treefucker ideologies by default unless you spend an hour fixing this at embark.

Realistically the only memes that are generally going to seriously, dangerously clash in a multi-ideology colony are cannibal(doesn't mix with non-cannibals for numerous reasons), animal personhood(this is only an issue if you're *not* animal personhood and the person who is joining is, since meat is a fairly common thing in colonies), and tree connection(how much it matters depends on how much wood you're chopping).

You will very rarely have *every* hostile faction be full of completely incompatible memes, and you have the option to piss off a faction that does have compatible memes so they will raid you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Inadequately posted:

Using Draw Fleshbeasts to deal with mech clusters is pretty fun, though if the fleshbeasts win then I have fleshbeasts to deal with instead. On the plus side, being squishy meat blobs makes them a lot easier to kill than mechs. It's probably a strategy that falls off quickly on the higher difficulties though, I'm at 6 void statues and 4 beacons around my ritual spot and while they seem to take out the basic tier mechclusters just fine, there's not really much I can do to increase ritual strength at this point. It would be nice if there was an option to scale it up by cranking up the amount of bioferrite offered.

better quality void statues gives your marginally better benefits, from to 2% at normal/good to 3% at excellent, which can add up, but if you can spend labor on constantly recreating slightly improved abstractions of the void, might just be more efficient to be making and selling guns and armor instead