Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
lab grown meat is a pipe dream anyway. it's silly to ban it but it's not like we'd ever have seen it in stores anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

don’t get between the ogre and his fresh meat okay

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Bullshit probation

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Gosh, fellas, I didn't know you cared!

Joementum posted:

he's such a huge piece of poo poo
Of course Fetterman doesn't want people eating slabs of lab-grown meat, he is one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pains me deeply to agree with someone I agree with on many many issues, but

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SixteenShells posted:

lab grown meat is a pipe dream anyway. it's silly to ban it but it's not like we'd ever have seen it in stores anyway

Does it somehow take more carbon to get it than burning down the rainforest and filling it with cows?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
theyre going to ban eating bugs next since theyre so loving obsessed with that idea

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can someone tell me what the problem is with labgrown meat exactly

like, is it just that it's taking food directly from the mouths of farmers' starving children, or do culture-war guys think it's all just bugs and George Soros wants them to eat bugs, or is it actually poo poo about souls and playing God or something

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
can you lab grow human meat

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

charging a 3 year old as an adult for eating a ladybug thinking it was candy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mags posted:

yep, theyve done it multiple times

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Does it somehow take more carbon to get it than burning down the rainforest and filling it with cows?

I dunno if we could possibly get to producing it on a world-feeding scale before the Amazon is all farting cows

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

loquacius posted:

like, is it just that it's taking food directly from the mouths of farmers' starving children, or do culture-war guys think it's all just bugs and George Soros wants them to eat bugs, or is it actually poo poo about souls and playing God or something

science is icky and bad and scientists are all woke sjws

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

loquacius posted:

it's a threat to ranching and meatpacking interests, which means it's george soros bug food for soy npcs

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
vegan cannibalism

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mags posted:

Yeah, but the taste varies from person to person

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:haw:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

1. Biden is most likely facing an enthusiasm problem, which is why he's going to win by 7 points instead of 10 like he should against Trump.

2. "In the real world," Republicans have arguably lost every single election since Trump's election except for 2021, and Trump is an election LOSER.

3. Most House Democrats are in lock-step with Biden on Gaza, the economy, etc. etc. etc., and yet they keep mopping the Republicans.

4. Biden may have the lowest average job approval on record, but Trump also has the most indictments on record, and is the only indicted former President on record. So, either Biden wins or Trump wins, and someone is going to set a new record here, and it's up to you what you think is more likely. Personally, I think that the quadruple-indicted loser who lost every election since 2017 is going to lose to the guy with bad approval numbers.

5. Republicans are begging for money while being bled dry by Trump's trials. Trump will get buried come November.

6. Some of these polls, like the NYT poll from a month or so ago, showed Trump tying Biden with women. Post Dobbs. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that there's an issue here.

Look, when I saw Abigail Spanberger keep her House seat in 2022 after her election was called early, I knew that the Republicans were toast that night. Biden got more votes than Trump in the PA primary, as did Democrats any way you slice it in an uncontested election with an incumbent President, and Haley got 17% after she dropped out a month prior. Trump is toast, toast, toast.

Trump is loving toast.

This post rules lmao

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

loquacius posted:

its culture war bullshit combined with protectionism for the meat industry. same reason the dairy industry keeps filing suits to prevent people from calling cruelty-free drinks "soy milk" and "oat milk".

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Fetterman himself is lab grown so I don't know what his issue is.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

so like how is this different than what trump and gop pols said about BLM?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Joementum posted:

same reason the dairy industry keeps filing suits to prevent people from calling cruelty-free drinks "soy milk" and "oat milk".

the Lewis Black Bill

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Biden got so mad about what's happening on college campuses this week that he did a special address to give the brutalizing cops a pep talk.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Uncle Wemus posted:

1. Biden is most likely facing an enthusiasm problem, which is why he's going to win by 7 points instead of 10 like he should against Trump.

2. "In the real world," Republicans have arguably lost every single election since Trump's election except for 2021, and Trump is an election LOSER.

3. Most House Democrats are in lock-step with Biden on Gaza, the economy, etc. etc. etc., and yet they keep mopping the Republicans.

4. Biden may have the lowest average job approval on record, but Trump also has the most indictments on record, and is the only indicted former President on record. So, either Biden wins or Trump wins, and someone is going to set a new record here, and it's up to you what you think is more likely. Personally, I think that the quadruple-indicted loser who lost every election since 2017 is going to lose to the guy with bad approval numbers.

5. Republicans are begging for money while being bled dry by Trump's trials. Trump will get buried come November.

6. Some of these polls, like the NYT poll from a month or so ago, showed Trump tying Biden with women. Post Dobbs. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that there's an issue here.

Look, when I saw Abigail Spanberger keep her House seat in 2022 after her election was called early, I knew that the Republicans were toast that night. Biden got more votes than Trump in the PA primary, as did Democrats any way you slice it in an uncontested election with an incumbent President, and Haley got 17% after she dropped out a month prior. Trump is toast, toast, toast.

Trump is loving toast.

*nods sagely*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

They don't want this one to translate into Vote

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm so loving mad and tired

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

lmao the president can't control foreign policy

jesus christ

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1786052563940331943?t=apnam7mWYMPGJEDepK-HIg&s=19

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Fetterman himself is lab grown so I don't know what his issue is.

think they needed a few more iterations on the project

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
the pwesident is just a widdle guy, he can't do anything

but if you elect the wrong one he's a dictator for life

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

or indeed what trump said about these protests

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LAPD would run over a student who stood in front of their MRAPs

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

idk if this is technically succ or just bewildering, someone from Cosmopolitan bought a share of the Daily Beast and is now the chief editor of Content there. These are some of her ideas

quote:

Just after 2 p.m., Coles snatched a microphone and breezed through her considerable résumé before announcing two new jobs that would show what sort of stories she wanted to prioritize. Effective immediately, she would hire a Chief Lauren Sanchez Correspondent and a Chief Fruits and Vegetables Correspondent, based in Montecito, California, to cover Meghan Markle’s American Riviera Orchard, which she was “completely obsessed” with. (The Beast would later publish six stories on Markle’s jam in as many days.)

quote:

The newsroom was also confused by the Sanchez job, which Coles made public the next day by posting it online. “No one since Brooke Astor has dominated the American social landscape faster than Ms Sanchez with her aviation skills, philanthropy and fabulosity,” she wrote on Instagram, adding that Sanchez is “intelligent,” “gorgeous,” and “funny” in comments to the New York Post, which wrote up her first big move as boss. Coles advertised a salary of up to $200,000 for a reporter to cover one person. When Sherwood asked staffers what they thought of the splash Coles made, one asked him if the job was real. “She got a full page ad in the Post,” he answered.

quote:

The staff also questioned why their boss was also publicly defending Sanchez, the fiancée of billionaire and Amazon chairman Jeff Bezos, in a tiff with Keith McNally, the restaurateur, who called her “absolutely revolting.” “It’s not a great look for a publication that prides itself on holding power to account to fawn over a billionaire’s fiancée,” remarked one staffer.

Taking the idea of mainstream news to be the fawning mimeographers of the rich to its logical conclusion. Some other poo poo:

quote:

When Matt Fuller, the Washington bureau chief and top politics editor who was leaving for a new job, pushed back on another protest-related idea of Coles’s — she wanted to report out who was paying for the tents in the encampments and find out whether there was an “Astroturf” element to the protests — he was told to leave a week early.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/joanna-coles-daily-beast-takeover.html

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lol, did Willa seriously catch a probe for putting a word in italics?
And they say they don't have any sort of grudge against CSPAM posters.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/AssalRad/status/1786057096515228135

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

loquacius posted:

I don't know what the culture war issue with lab meat is, but on a practical level, the problem is scale. You have to maintain really finicky bioreactors that absolutely cannot get any viruses or bacteria in them, because if that happens, you have to toss the whole batch. The bigger the bioreactor, the more feedstock you need to give it, the more bioreactors you have - all of that just compounds as you try to scale it up. Eventually you end up with a product orders of magnitude more expensive than the natural stuff. Nobody will buy it.

It's kind of the same problem with carbon capture. It's technically possible to capture carbon. It is not feasible to capture enough carbon to put a dent in our emissions. It's technically possible to grow meat in a lab. It is not feasible to replace more than a very, very small slice of the market with lab grown meat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

this motherfucker really deserves to lose

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the_steve posted:

Lol, did Willa seriously catch a probe for putting a word in italics?
And they say they don't have any sort of grudge against CSPAM posters.

did you not hear the importance of "calm" in "calm hitler"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I respect the comedic bit of coming out and ranting that all the kids need to be dragged away and locked up for criticizing the war, after so many of his supporters claimed that this is Trump's authoritarianism and Biden would stop it if only he had the power.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah, no poo poo, Sherlock. Cannot wait for you to humiliatingly lose in a few short months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

idk if this is technically succ or just bewildering, someone from Cosmopolitan bought a share of the Daily Beast and is now the chief editor of Content there. These are some of her ideas

Taking the idea of mainstream news to be the fawning mimeographers of the rich to its logical conclusion. Some other poo poo:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/joanna-coles-daily-beast-takeover.html

Who the gently caress is Lauran Sanchez?

Please do not answer that question I do not actually want to know.