Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Deteriorata posted:

That's the way the legal system works. Deal with it.

I'm dealing with it just fine pal. But don't try to act like "future pain" is a real punishment.

Trump has not suffered any real punishment for anything yet. This pisses a lot of people off and it's very understandable. It's especially infuriating when folks like you insist that he's suffering already, that the consequences are real, and that the reality is setting in.

It's simply not, because that's the way the legal system works. Deal with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm dealing with it just fine pal. But don't try to act like "future pain" is a real punishment.

Trump has not suffered any real punishment for anything yet. This pisses a lot of people off and it's very understandable. It's especially infuriating when folks like you insist that he's suffering already, that the consequences are real, and that the reality is setting in.

It's simply not, because that's the way the legal system works. Deal with it?

I have claimed nothing as whether he's "suffering" yet or not. I don't really care.

People who are pissed that Trump hasn't suffered any direct punishment yet are simply advertising that they don't understand how the legal system works. It's slow. And being mad that it's slow doesn't make it move any faster.

You may as well be mad that the sky is blue.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Barrel Cactaur posted:

The SEC, FINRA, and NASDAQ all operate off NASDAQs open book. He can't sell stocks in his name on the exchange, not just because it's illegal, but because non of the public or private market regulators will let it happen. Any broker he assigned shares too (he literally can't hide this)to are likely open booked too. He can't sell it like that, even if he found a broker willing to play patsy. It would just end up with his accounts frozen, the stock on a trading halt right before his accounts get frozen or likely both because he isn't patient enough to do it the slow way and literally posts a 100 million share market sell order. Even if he does somehow sell the SEC can freeze his bank accounts that have touched the profits. Then he gets dragged to administrative court, fined all the wrongful gains and a penalty, and referred for criminal prosecution. Also he gets privately sued. It's possibly the stupidest crimes to try and commit. Dumber than waddling into the NYSE with a gun and demanding they put the money in the bag.

As to a private sale he has to find a sucker, get board approval, and survive the private lawsuits from shareholders against him and the board. His sucker has to be willing to buy a worthless turd in exchange for an unofficial iou from a man famous for doubling down on the squeeze. I don't think the world has a sucker rich enough for "what have you done recently?" To the tune of hundreds of millions to billions. Anyone with that much money is smart enough to string him along to get what they want first.

Yes, certainly that's what would happen in a normal world. In the world we live in it's not clear at all.

In the real world we have a SCOTUS who is clearly willing to delay rulings to move his trials after the election. There's an unanswered question sitting at the SCOTUS since last year as to whether the SEC administrative courts or enforcement actions are even constitutional at all.

Trump literally stored stolen classified documents in a shower and flaunted them to people at his resort and that trial is completely hamstrung. SCOTUS stayed his trial for attempted overthrowing the government on the grounds that maybe the president can't actually ever be prosecuted for committing crimes

Deteriorata posted:

People who are pissed that Trump hasn't suffered any direct punishment yet are simply advertising that they don't understand how the legal system works. It's slow. And being mad that it's slow doesn't make it move any faster.

People being mad about something doesn't mean they don't understand it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Clear_Blue posted:

By the looks of it, many *try* to puppeteer Trump, or think they can use Trump to their benefit. But all fail, because Trump does Trump. It's not possible to manipulate a complete narcissist, especially because he knows he's the god king for millions and millions of Americans.
I've long thought that this was the answer to the perennial thread question "Given that Trump betrays, backstabs, and ruins the lives of everyone who has ever done business with him, why are so many people still willing to do business with him, to trust him, to put their livelihoods at risk for him?" - it's because everyone who meets Trump is impressed at just how dumb and distractible he is and they figure they'll be able to pull his strings.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deteriorata posted:

I have claimed nothing as whether he's "suffering" yet or not. I don't really care.

I understand how the legal system works.

I'm still mad that Trump is being granted special privileges and even immunities that literally nobody else at all gets. Yes the legal system can be slow but I have had hundreds of clients, facing far less serious charges than Trump, who experienced that speed from inside a jail not outside.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Professor Beetus posted:

I do because fines should be commensurate on one's ability to pay them. Otherwise fines are completely meaningless as a punitive measure.

I mean yes, this is the legal system working as currently designed. Fines are meant to keep certain things the privilege of the rich.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FMguru posted:

I've long thought that this was the answer to the perennial thread question "Given that Trump betrays, backstabs, and ruins the lives of everyone who has ever done business with him, why are so many people still willing to do business with him, to trust him, to put their livelihoods at risk for him?" - it's because everyone who meets Trump is impressed at just how dumb and distractible he is and they figure they'll be able to pull his strings.

It's this plus the fact that he is *always* lying, to everyone, even himself. People think "he's lying to all those other idiots but I'm smart and see his real plan" and fail to realize there is no real Trump underneath to be perceived, it's *all* lies.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

I do because fines should be commensurate on one's ability to pay them. Otherwise fines are completely meaningless as a punitive measure.

if only

quote:

A multimillionaire businessman has been hit with one of the world’s highest speeding fines – €121,000 (£104,000) – for driving 30km/h (18.6mph) over the limit in Finland, where tickets are calculated as a percentage of the offender’s income.

“I really regret the matter,” Anders Wiklöf, 76, told Nya Åland, a newspaper for the Åland Islands, an autonomous Finnish region in the Baltic Sea. “I had just started slowing down, but I guess that didn’t happen fast enough. It’s how it goes.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/06/finnish-businessman-hit-with-121000-speeding-fine

selec
Sep 6, 2003

attempting to implement this in the US would have the same reaction as when a new, idealistic democratically-elected leader starts talking about land reform in a South American nation.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I remember like almost 20 years ago I mentioned Finland's strategy for traffic fines and such in a long since forgotten D&D thread, and said I wished we could do similar. At the time I was extremely poor and a speeding ticket would've basically meant I couldn't pay rent and would be hosed for the foreseeable future, whereas a rich guy could pay it with pocket change. A goon told me that I was being ridiculous because the whole point of getting rich was to not have to worry about paltry things like that.

I'm just glad that things have changed around here, folks.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Lager posted:

I remember like almost 20 years ago I mentioned Finland's strategy for traffic fines and such in a long since forgotten D&D thread, and said I wished we could do similar. At the time I was extremely poor and a speeding ticket would've basically meant I couldn't pay rent and would be hosed for the foreseeable future, whereas a rich guy could pay it with pocket change. A goon told me that I was being ridiculous because the whole point of getting rich was to not have to worry about paltry things like that.

it's hard being ahead of the curve because there are always so many people screaming at you to just slow down until they catch up.
whereupon they will never admit to asking you to slow down "was right there beside you the whole time!" they squeal.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What is the punishment? If I'm keeping up the fines are bonded but under appeal, so while the money is tied up it's still his money.

A punishment under appeal isn't much of a punishment.

Think of TRump/TRump Org as a giant oil tanker.

Nothing happens quickly; but when it goes sideways, the whole world will know of it

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Has there been any updates on the stolen documents trial? I thought I read that Aileen Cannon or whatever her name is was going to set a trial date. I know that's never going to happen because she's going to find a way to stall again, but I was just curious if there's been any progress.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fart Amplifier posted:

Unless a company wants to use it as a way to donate directly to the possible future president.

I think it would actually be a pretty poor way of doing it as 1) He doesn't own all of Truth Social, seems he owns about 58%. 2) Unless you communicate with trump exactly when he's going to sell -which would look suspicious as hell- quite likely that the money you're dumping into it will benefit the people who sell before him far more. He could end up seeing pennies on the dollar from it.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

dr_rat posted:

I think it would actually be a pretty poor way of doing it as 1) He doesn't own all of Truth Social, seems he owns about 58%. 2) Unless you communicate with trump exactly when he's going to sell -which would look suspicious as hell- quite likely that the money you're dumping into it will benefit the people who sell before him far more. He could end up seeing pennies on the dollar from it.

A bit more now apparently, about 64.9%

cnn posted:

Former President Donald Trump just landed another $1.8 billion worth of stock in the corporate owner of Truth Social.

Trump Media & Technology Group disclosed the windfall for Trump in a filing Tuesday, saying the former president has received another 36 million shares in the company.

That bonus, known as “earnout” shares, was triggered by the company’s share price staying above certain levels.

Trump Media said in the filing that on April 26 it officially determined the performance criteria “had been satisfied” and Trump was “subsequently issued the Earnout Shares.”

At current prices, those new shares are valued at approximately $1.8 billion on paper – though the share price has been extremely volatile.

Trump now holds an even more dominant stake in Trump Media, amounting to 114.75 million shares, or 64.9% of the total outstanding.

According to SEC filings, the full earnout of 40 million shares to pre-merger shareholders would be paid if the company’s dollar volume-weighted average price equaled or exceeded $17.50 for any 20 trading days within any 30-day trading period beginning on March 25.

Tuesday, April 23 marked the 20th trading day for Trump Media, and the stock has not traded below that $17.50 level at any point during that timeframe.

The value of Trump’s stake in the company – and his net worth overall – has swung wildly in recent weeks in tandem with the volatile share price.

The earnout shares Trump just received are subject to lock-up restrictions that prevent insiders from selling or even borrowing against their stock for months, according to filings.

Even if Trump is able to get around the lock-up agreement, experts say it would be challenging for him to quickly sell his stake without crashing the stock price. Trump is not just the chairman and most popular user on Truth Social, he is by far the largest shareholder.

Trump Media’s share price has been subject to extreme turbulence.

It peaked at $66 on March 27, its second day as a public company. The stock crashed to a post-merger low of $22.84 on April 16 and has since more than doubled to nearly $50.

Even though Trump Media plunged since late March, it never came close to breaching levels that would have threatened this bonus.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/30/business/donald-trump-gets-another-usd1-billion-truth-social-windfall/index.html

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
"Stay above $17.50 for 20 days". lol, they expected it tank real bad.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

dr_rat posted:

"Stay above $17.50 for 20 days". lol, they expected it tank real bad.

It has almost no value as a business whatsoever outside of Trump's brand and presence on the app. Its valuation is absolutely unhinged

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Grip it and rip it posted:

It has almost no value as a business whatsoever outside of Trump's brand and presence on the app. Its valuation is absolutely unhinged

It has a huge value as a business being able to effectively make political donations without recourse to political contribution law.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Unormal posted:

It has a huge value as a business being able to effectively make political donations without recourse to political contribution law.

We made Jimmy Carter sell his peanut farm. Ffs.

The fact that this is just okay in modern politics is sad and frightening.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Wouldn't work in the US anyway. Middle class would pay more but all the truly rich people get paid directly in assets instead of income. Those stories about CEOs taking 0 dollar salaries aren't because they're just such swell guys who really don't need or want the money and love their company, it's because it means they don't have to pay taxes. Instead the company transfers stock or other assets to them directly to avoid the whole tax thing.

It's funny, because I could have sworn the point of income was to spend that income to increase ones assets/wealth, but apparently you can pay someone directly in wealth and skip the inconvenient income part in the middle where you are subject to paying money to support the society that makes your lifestyle possible.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Isn't the tax hack that they are taking loans against stock they haven't sold yet?

There's a lot of pushback against a proposal to tax unsold gains -- and rightfully so, I think -- but it seems like, maybe we just make it where a taxable event is triggered if you use it as collateral for a loan or anything like that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

aniviron posted:

Those stories about CEOs taking 0 dollar salaries aren't because they're just such swell guys who really don't need or want the money and love their company, it's because it means they don't have to pay taxes. Instead the company transfers stock or other assets to them directly to avoid the whole tax thing.

Stock compensation is taxed (as income, no less). What on earth are you talking about? There is no “just don’t call it salary” One Weird Trick.

(There are deferral tricks like making interest-free loans, but they don’t depend on salary-as-cash versus stock or anything like that.)

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BiggerBoat posted:

Do they have Diet Cokes and Big Macs in prison?

Buddy, they don’t even have spaghetti-o’s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Grasso

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Caros posted:

Cosigned. Here's the priorities of Congress as I understand them.

A company gives voters the ability to easily and conveniently see a live genocide we're banking? Give us five days to put a stop to that poo poo.
A company's stock valuation is very obviously entirely dependent on the hypothetical ability to use it to legally bribe the poo poo out of a potential future President? Eh people expect us to do nothing about anything by now.

Edit: I fixed your post

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 2, 2024

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Buddy, they don’t even have spaghetti-o’s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Grasso

Steamed clams?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Lager posted:

And let's not forget the days when "the middle east should be turned into glass" was considered part of the spectrum of acceptable geopolitical opinions.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Caros posted:

Carter did not sell his peanut farm before or during his presidency. He put it in a blind trust for the duration of his presidency, but he still owned it, and control fully reverted back to him after his term ended, along with any profits it made during that time.

He did end up selling it after his presidency, but that wasn't for political reasons. The business took a big downturn during his presidency, and was deep in the red by the time his term ended. Apparently, being owned by a sitting president was not enough to attract money. Instead of bringing in a big pile of profit, it left him with a big pile of debt.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I guess you could say that his farm was always making peanuts.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Carter did not sell his peanut farm before or during his presidency. He put it in a blind trust for the duration of his presidency, but he still owned it, and control fully reverted back to him after his term ended, along with any profits it made during that time.

He did end up selling it after his presidency, but that wasn't for political reasons. The business took a big downturn during his presidency, and was deep in the red by the time his term ended. Apparently, being owned by a sitting president was not enough to attract money. Instead of bringing in a big pile of profit, it left him with a big pile of debt.

I'm sorry that I make an appeal to a flippant summary of 'we made him sell it' rather than give the niche technical detail that carter was forced by ethical standards at the time to give up his business to an open trust that ran it into the ground (in part to avoid the appearance of bribery that made it difficult to take loans or sell to a foreign concern at a higher price), resulting in it being sold shortly after he exited office.

I will be much more careful to be pedantic when posting at 12:30 before bed about how our president can just be legally bribed now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Caros fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 2, 2024

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
A Tweet calling Trump Von ShitzInPants was read in front of Donald today in court.
And was somehow allowed to be said on CNN multiple times.

https://twitter.com/CreekMarley/status/1786053105110438032

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 2, 2024

Caros
May 14, 2008

OgNar posted:

A Tweet calling Trump Von ShitzInPants was read in front of Donald today in court.
And was somehow allowed to be said on CNN multiple times.

https://twitter.com/CreekMarley/status/1786053105110438032

Pundits get a lot of flack (and rightly so) but I admire his ability to read that with a straight face.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Caros posted:

I'm sorry that I make an appeal to a flippant summary of 'we made him sell it' rather than give the niche technical detail that carter was forced by ethical standards at the time to give up his business to an open trust that ran it into the ground (in part to avoid the appearance of bribery that made it difficult to take loans or sell to a foreign concern at a higher price), resulting in it being sold shortly after he exited office.

I will be much more careful to be pedantic when posting at 12:30 before bed about how our president can just be legally bribed now.

It's generally useful to be concerned with niche technical details like whether any of the poo poo you're saying is actually true or not". For one thing, it greatly reduces the chance that you're going to go to bed absolutely hopping mad about a wildly inaccurate idea.

For one thing, Trump did put his assets into a trust during his presidency, and it's safe to assume that he would do so again if reelected. It wasn't a blind trust, but that matters less than you'd think, because:
  1. Blind trusts have nothing to do with bribery at all. They're not an anti-bribery measure, they're a measure to make it more difficult for politicians to take official actions that directly benefit their personal assets, such as passing laws that favorably impact their businesses or refusing to pass trade policies that might negatively impact their businesses.
  2. "More difficult" is not nearly the same as "impossible", especially when it comes to businesses. Even if the politician is kept at arm's length from the detailed day-to-day operations of the business, it doesn't take detailed information to figure out what kinds of laws and executive actions might benefit a peanut farm.
  3. A trust that isn't blind, like Carter's, is even less effective at that. Carter's trust as it was run by a close personal friend and campaign advisor, so while he was officially not involved in the running of the business, there was considerable concern from his opponents about just how involved he might have actually been.
  4. The fact that Carter's trustee avoided foreign loans, even if they would have been good for business, doesn't really mean anything here. It just means that Carter and his trustee prioritized his political benefit over his economic benefit, choosing to make sacrifices at the business in order to avoid any political embarrassments that might impact his ability to pass his policy agenda.

Is Trump bribable now? Yes. Would he be bribable in a year? Yes. Was he bribable in 2018? Also yes. Nothing's really changed, except that a meme stock has joined his business empire.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
When Trump is eventually allowed to sell his stock and destroys Truth Social's stock price, how would that impact Truth Social as a company?

I am assuming that it would make lines of credit and investing into the company impossible, but does a stock crash immediately kill the company or what?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Donkringel posted:

When Trump is eventually allowed to sell his stock and destroys Truth Social's stock price, how would that impact Truth Social as a company?

I am assuming that it would make lines of credit and investing into the company impossible, but does a stock crash immediately kill the company or what?

A government bailout would occur to save the company because it would be declared essential to the American economy.

Dear universe, please take note that I'm joking and don't make me speak this into reality

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Donkringel posted:

I don't think a stock crash inherently kills the company, it just makes the investors take a bath. It would mean the company wouldn't expect to be able to issue stock as an effective means of raising capital, but if the underlying revenue streams are solid then the company would continue to function until it could no longer pay it's bills. For DJTM and it's complete lack of stable fundamentals, it'll blow up at the first debt payment they can't meet I'd imagine once they blow through whatever cash on hand they have.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Is there even any real value to lose at truth social? I thought most of the costs are just execs. Can't really see them missing debt payments when the majority of their costs are staffing.

Caros fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 2, 2024

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

‘Intolerable’: Trump pleads with Mar-a-Lago judge to toss case because Dr. Deborah Birx wasn’t prosecuted for her ‘boxes’ of docs

quote:

Attorneys for Donald Trump asked the Mar-a-Lago judge to throw out his indictment, arguing that he is being prosecuted under the Espionage Act unlike several similarly situated others, including Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House COVID-19 pandemic response coordinator remembered for squirming in a chair upon hearing the then president suggest at a press conference that a disinfectant “injection” could help treat coronavirus.

The defense began its argument Thursday by appealing to “American history” that is “chock full of public examples involving alleged mishandling of classified information and documents” without Espionage Act and obstruction prosecutions resulting, before naming President Joe Biden, Trump’s former Vice President Mike Pence, former President Bill Clinton, former Clinton National Security Advisor Sandy Berger, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former FBI Director James Comey, General David Petraeus, and Birx.
“It does not appear that Dr. Birx faced charges or even an investigation despite the fact that she (1) retained possession of ‘PRA materials’ until at least September 2021, long after Ferriero was ‘out of patience’ with President Trump, and (2) those materials contained at least one classified document,” the motion to dismiss continued.

The defense then pleaded with U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon to throw out the indictment on grounds of selective and vindictive prosecution, claiming that the “history of non-prosecution and leniency for similarly situated individuals” they identified is enough to show that the “intolerable and unconstitutional” case was brought for political reasons.

Perhaps anticipating that Cannon would not dismiss the indictment on these grounds, Trump lawyers requested that she at least order up additional discovery and set a hearing on their arguments.

I love the smell of desperation in the morning.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I see they also brought in the "but the Clintons" again.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Lager posted:

A government bailout would occur to save the company because it would be declared essential to the American economy.

Dear universe, please take note that I'm joking and don't make me speak this into reality
Hey you're the one who's got a direct reference to the anti-life equation under your av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

It was a lot faster for the regular idiots who stormed the Capitol.

Trump has all but admitted that he uh... "masterminded" that farce, but the legal system is obviously far slower for him than it was for them.

Is it really controversial to state that the rich get much better treatment by the legal system? I'll even concede that we've seen plenty rich people go to jail, but come on, he led an insurrection against the appointment of a democratically elected leader. It isn't unreasonable to expect to see some consequences for that a little sooner than 4 years and still counting.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 3, 2024