Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Heath posted:

I was in K-Mart once (lol) and a young couple came up to me and asked me what I recommended for their kids since I looked like I "knew video games" and I said Smash Bros because they'll play that game for years and it would be the same price as the 3 $20 shovelware pieces of poo poo in their hands. It took some convincing but they ended up going with it so I hope the kids had fun with it

i didnt own a wii until years later so when they would ask me what games to get i'd just say mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Boneworks was such a godly VR experience. Great music too. Shame the sequel was a huge letdown...

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
my vengeance upon the seagull was swift. He and his kin would not have my hot dog now or ever. End simulation. Thank you for playing Boardwalk Simulator!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i didnt own a wii until years later so when they would ask me what games to get i'd just say mario

Yeah this is usually the answer. Anything with Mario is at least going to be playable

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i also laughed

I was actually going to leave that part out but we were eating lunch together and she said, “don’t leave that out. It’s the best part”

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i also laughed

copy
Jul 26, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i also laughed

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

If you've ever played any of the thousands of shovelware titles from the Wii era then you've essentially experienced VR

I don't get it at all lol

ive been saying this lol other than beat saber and half life alyx every single vr game looks and feels like mediocre gimmick trash but it makes you set aside an area of the house and spend racks just to play 2 games + half the people who play get motion sickness. stupid rear end gaming experience

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think what happened is most goons got on board when vr was absolute dogshit and it was being promoted by this guy

but thankfully zuckerberg fixed the problem now all you need is a $200 quest 2 and a non kowloon amount of space

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

everyone using vr does look like that however

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

There are newspaper adverts for the metaverse, which first of all who the gently caress buys newspapers

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

There are newspaper adverts for the metaverse, which first of all who the gently caress buys newspapers

Sometimes they send you a free one out of desperation.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

pog boyfriend posted:

ive been saying this lol other than beat saber and half life alyx every single vr game looks and feels like mediocre gimmick trash but it makes you set aside an area of the house and spend racks just to play 2 games + half the people who play get motion sickness. stupid rear end gaming experience

I always thought it would be best applied in like a science museum type setting. Walk around historical landmarks or like fly through the amazon or something. I remember doing something like that on a field trip but it was a massive screen with moving seats etc

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I always thought it would be best applied in like a science museum type setting. Walk around historical landmarks or like fly through the amazon or something. I remember doing something like that on a field trip but it was a massive screen with moving seats etc

Google Earth has a few things like this and as you'd imagine they were way more fun/good use of the tech than almost any of the actual games

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There was some full immersion gimmick VR place where you'd basically go through a giant gym sized room that's set up like a maze to guide you a long and it'd have puzzles and props and stuff that are like a stick but in VR looks like a torch etc. with vents and fans to simulate like walking near magma or w/e but covid completely destroyed all the locations I'm pretty sure lol. Cool use of VR imo though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There was some full immersion gimmick VR place where you'd basically go through a giant gym sized room that's set up like a maze to guide you a long and it'd have puzzles and props and stuff that are like a stick but in VR looks like a torch etc. with vents and fans to simulate like walking near magma or w/e but covid completely destroyed all the locations I'm pretty sure lol. Cool use of VR imo though.

ok now instead of monsters and puzzles and stuff the room is full of spreadsheets and stock tickers. thats the apple vision for vr lmao

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

That was basically how it was in Neuromancer except that poo poo was plugging directly into your brain so it didn't make your semicircular canals implode

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

TheMightyBoops posted:

How many people have VR headsets? I have never heard anyone in the real world even mention VR that’s not one of my nerd rear end friends and they don’t own headsets.

my youngest brother has one with a semidedicated room and lovely PC. he's the gamingest gamer I know IRL and he doesn't use it much.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Virtual Boy. Nice.

he's also got one of these

copy posted:

slop slop slop, slop-slop slop! (EVERYBODY!)

slop slop slop slop slop slop slop

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i still want vr eventually just bcos i love space sims and stuff like elite in vr will blow my nuts off guaranteed

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the star wars space shooter game was pretty sick in vr, it's a legit advantage to be able to track the other guys through the cockpit canopy

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Frank Frank posted:

VR sickness is a real thing and it disproportionally affects old people lol:

its called getting your sea legs. i wouldnt invite anyone to play alyx with full movement if it's their first VR title even though it has good accessibility options. that game is absolutely meant to be experienced unrestricted, and that doesnt even mean shelling out for $1000 equipment, a quest will play alyx fine. something interesting about alyx specifically is it addresses a unique question to VR in regards to: how can player get thing they see quick? blade & sorcery gives you telekinesis, i dont remember what boneworks did but it sucked. anyway alyx solves it with a wrist strapped device you waggle like a whip, invisibly lashing bullets across the room, health, chair, etc. like the way i try to sell alyx on VR skeptics is that it seeks to make the act of shaking down a room itself fun. like the experience wouldnt make any drat sense in 2d because it'd just be hl2 gordon smashing a couple boxes and bouncing out. and no waggle. alyx is about scroungin like a survival horror, upturning boxes and shoving bodies to reveal desperately needed shotgun shells.

id like to know what anyone used to VR who played alyx and didnt like it thinks if they lurk

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

give me a Yakuza VR game where it's just Mahjong and a few other mini games, and also you can go into convenience stores and wreck them up

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i let my dad try this out, google earth, and it was blowing his mind seeing our neighborhood and his hometown even if both looked like morrowind. then he accidentally shot himself up into the air and nearly fell over lol. i felt pretty bad cuz he did pretty well with the quest tutorial game... it is really cool flying around in google earth vr once your stomach can take it. shooting around earth snappin pics and saving your favorite spots for later

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

a Myst-like game feels like a great use of VR and instead Cyan Worlds made a VR game where you push a minecart around with a laser attached to do light puzzles

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

NoiseAnnoys posted:

vr is forever associated with taintreaper and his many tenants in my mind.

Yep.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I always get taintreaper confused with taintrunner

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I always get taintreaper confused with taintrunner

(checks quote) Yep.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sit29E-GI1E

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
People need to be leaving those taints alone.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

taintverbing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEH5vkGilk8

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Every time I read that name now I hear a line from the MGS3 song Snake Eater but with his name swapped in.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NoiseAnnoys posted:

pretty sure taintreaper and taintrunner are different people

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i simply do not think of taintreaper or taintrunner and do not reccommend it

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Just makes me think of one of those stupid meme shirts, like "born to reap, forced to run"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My company owns the booth that was built for the Occulus announcement at whatever trade show it was. It’s used for in-house tech demos and experiments with our products. It is incredibly creaky and scary to stand on the second floor because it’s poorly made but I like to think it’s probably because Palmer Luckey stomped around in it when he couldn’t eat more tendies.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I remember playing the steam release of half-minute hero and seeing that there was a vr mode for it; since it was a 2d game and this was released years before the most recent VR interest spike I got curious and looked up pictures of it in action.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Lmao

I could swear I was really playing virtual skeeballl!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

I remember playing the steam release of half-minute hero and seeing that there was a vr mode for it; since it was a 2d game and this was released years before the most recent VR interest spike I got curious and looked up pictures of it in action.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
a poster I do not confuse with those two? oldtaintless