Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, dang. Are there even any other great apes left by the 22nd century?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Garak, his eyes on Bashir.
O'Brian and Bashir at the Alamo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phy posted:

Oh, dang. Are there even any other great apes left by the 22nd century?
Apes would be a lot easier to maintain in zoos and baroque tormentariums for the post-atomic elite!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay whats the story with why Season 4 of Voyager was not a two part episode? The last episode is Hope and Fear which is a decent enough episode but why no two parter?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hollismason posted:

Okay whats the story with why Season 4 of Voyager was not a two part episode? The last episode is Hope and Fear which is a decent enough episode but why no two parter?
I pulled this from Memory Alpha

quote:

The writing staffers took the rare decision for the season-ending story to be in the form of a stand-alone episode. Jeri Taylor remarked that the story didn't "deserve" to be a two-parter or a cliff-hanger and went on to say, "We had something that probably could have been pushed, shoved, stretched, folded, mutilated and turned into a cliff-hanger, but that's just not the way we like to tell stories." (Star Trek Monthly issue 40, p. 15) Brannon Braga concurred, "We didn't have a show that demanded a cliffhanger." (Cinefantastique, Vol. 30, No. 9/10, p. 99) He stated further, "[Doing] a cliff-hanger […] felt obligatory […] Instead we had a stand alone story that kind of reflected on the year." (Star Trek Monthly issue 44, p. 13) Joe Menosky remembered that another reason why the episode was not forced into becoming a two-parter was that the writing staff tried to avoid doing too many of them in the course of the series. Similarly, Braga said that the decision was made "to mix things up a little bit" and expressed that there was a fear that the episode, if done as the first half of a duology, would not be able to outdo the year's previous two-parters. (Cinefantastique, Vol. 30, No. 9/10, pp. 96, 99 & 103) The decision to have the season finale be a stand-alone episode was welcomed by Paramount Pictures. "The studio called and said, 'If you don't want to do a cliffhanger, we don't mind,'" recalled Menosky. "They weren't pushing for a big two-parter and a big cliffhanger." (Cinefantastique, Vol. 30, No. 9/10, p. 96)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, Hope and Fear being a singular story finishing out season 4 works really well, because it bookends Scorpion/The Gift.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
TNG and Voyager were always chasing that Best of Both Worlds high with their season finales and never managed it, so, yeah, it was a nice change of pace to get a finale that was focused on resolving a character's arc for that season rather than trying yet again to be the Biggest Most Shocking Event Ever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rubber Chicken posted:

Someone post Lal's andorian form option :pwn:

TNG did a lot of stuff well but creature costumes were rarely very good

Cardassians were a great design. TNG Klingons were fine after they figured out the right size with Worf's head. TNG Ferengi I guess largely looked good even if their acting was just way too much and too gross. The borg looked pretty neat, but I guess since they're specifically not supposed to look naturalistic that doesn't quite count.

There's some amount of alien makeup techniques getting better over time, but I don't really know enough about the industry as a whole to make much of a call. I think TNG was just generally pretty unambitious about alien designs, they didn't want to focus much on the different biology or have big monstery creatures. They wanted character drama with unencumbered actors. If there is some kind of monstery threat it's going to be way out of focus and only around for a couple minutes at best. The Devidians in Time's Arrow are barely in the episode, I can't even remember what the monster in Darmok was like, maybe the Crystalline Entity gets the most screentime out of any of TNG's monsters.

It still blow my mind to know that Troi had an uncomfortable alien effect, I really can't tell at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

maybe the Crystalline Entity gets the most screentime out of any of TNG's monsters.

what the borg don't count?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can't even remember what the monster in Darmok was like

If you want to see you can watch the guys from RLM toss the prop around like a toy!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Cardassians were a great design.

Fun fact: Marc Alaimo (Dukat) was indirectly responsible for the Cardsssian design. Michael Westmore was inspired by his long neck and sloping shoulders and he took advantage of them when he was cast as Gul Macet.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
The first Cardassian appearance is very weird compared to what we eventually got. Same for Ferengi though that was probably more direction than makeup

The first Trill didn't even have spots

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Trill are a bigger issue than the spots.

The Enterprise crew had no knowledge of the symbiote species, yet Sisko would have been hanging out with Curzon Dax by that point who was present during the events of ST:VI.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

bull3964 posted:

The Enterprise crew had no knowledge of the symbiote species, yet Sisko would have been hanging out with Curzon Dax by that point who was present during the events of ST:VI.

They could be rare in the federation and keeping secrets

I'm not sure Sisko knew about the Symbiote all along

They didn't know Worf's anatomy and he was their own bridge officer!

Space HIPPA is no joke

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just consider the first appearance of any recurring species to be Calvinball and don't worry about it being consistent with the later portrayal.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

are there so many fudge officers that we need a first fudge officer

Grand Fromage posted:

I just consider the first appearance of any recurring species to be Calvinball and don't worry about it being consistent with the later portrayal.

yeah like humans and their 'space probe agency', big consistency oof smh

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the species portrayal that i like the most is the one that's right

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

bull3964 posted:

I know there's a lot of inconsistencies across Star Trek, and we're just meant to ignore them, but the Trill are the one that really bugs me. Would it have been that hard to make Jadzia a new species and just throw in a line that they're like the Trill but different in many ways? Almost everything established about the original Trill got contradicted by DS9's take on them!

The people who insisted Discovery must be an alternate timeline would have had a heart attack watching 90s Trek when it first aired.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's a TV show try not to worry too much about it

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Meanwhile Doctor Who has only ever had a passing acquaintance with the notion of canon and will enthusiastically bin anything they've previously established for the sake of this week's episode, even if this week's episode sucks on toast.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think TNG was just generally pretty unambitious about alien designs, they didn't want to focus much on the different biology or have big monstery creatures. They wanted character drama with unencumbered actors.

This is an underappreciated point. When the alien of the week needs to spend a lot of time on-screen talking, it can be hard to do a really interesting makeup or prosthetic design without impeding the actor's ability to communicate -- especially for guest actors. The more ambitious designs generally happen for the aliens played by stuntmen who don't actually need to say anything.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
That’s also why the Discovery Klingons were so poorly conceived—they looked great, shaved heads aside, but the actors couldn’t speak properly.

I imagine that’s why they haven’t shown up at all in seasons 3-5; the producers realized they were a mistake. Meanwhile, SNW has returned to the TNG/DS9 version of Klingons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rubber Chicken posted:

They could be rare in the federation and keeping secrets

I'm not sure Sisko knew about the Symbiote all along

They didn't know Worf's anatomy and he was their own bridge officer!

Space HIPPA is no joke

It's HIPAA.

It seems pretty clear that Sisko knew otherwise I would think he would have been pretty freaked out in DS9. Sisko met Curzon around the time Jake was born (which was also around the time that Picard lost the Stargazer.) I don't think the Trill had a top ambassador for the Federation since the 2280s without having any clue as to their biology (the TNG episode took place in 2367, the same year as Curzon's death). Keep in mind that DS9 started in 2369. So Sisko would have learned about the symbiote in the same year that he lost Curzon and would have been all cool about it two years later? Keep in mind too that Jadzia applied to be a host after she graduated Starfleet academy. That seems like something Starfleet would want to know about "You know how I just got all this training including psychiatric evaluations and now have responsibilities that can affect the lives of others living and working in space? Yeah, I'm going to add a whole other personality and lifetime of memories to that in an afternoon one day."

The TNG introduction had other issues too. One of them was saying they couldn't be transported. They also acted like the symbiote took over the host fully rather than it being a blending.

It was just a retcon, nothing more, nothing less. It annoys me that novels have tried to explain it.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Speaking of changing what aliens look like and the use of prosthetics Captain Rixx the Bolian probably used less than most people would assume because Michael Berryman's hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia gives him a distinct look already.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

No Dignity posted:

It's a TV show try not to worry too much about it

No, I can't stop wondering about how they eat and breath and other science facts.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Speaking of changing what aliens look like and the use of prosthetics Captain Rixx the Bolian probably used less than most people would assume because Michael Berryman's hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia gives him a distinct look already.

Conspiracy was such a great episode. I have no idea how Remmick's death ever got on TV back then.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

I know there's a lot of inconsistencies across Star Trek, and we're just meant to ignore them, but the Trill are the one that really bugs me. Would it have been that hard to make Jadzia a new species and just throw in a line that they're like the Trill but different in many ways? Almost everything established about the original Trill got contradicted by DS9's take on them!

The people who insisted Discovery must be an alternate timeline would have had a heart attack watching 90s Trek when it first aired.

It's hard having to make circumstantial judgment calls in life instead of applying unyielding Personal Mind Law to every situation, but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Eason the Fifth posted:

Conspiracy was such a great episode. I have no idea how Remmick's death ever got on TV back then.

I had seen that episode shown before but one day a warning got shown before the episode played normally. First time I had seen something like that on TV at that time.

They felt it was okay to air after having a kid watch it, he thought it was cool and couldn't wait for the action figure.

It was a different time.

Kinda like how they found a laser pointer could work for the Borg, but they were worried about it being pointed around on set so when filming with it attached to Picard, they removed everyone not necessary so they could get the shots with it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

That’s also why the Discovery Klingons were so poorly conceived—they looked great, shaved heads aside, but the actors couldn’t speak properly.

I imagine that’s why they haven’t shown up at all in seasons 3-5; the producers realized they were a mistake. Meanwhile, SNW has returned to the TNG/DS9 version of Klingons.

I mean, hell, Robert Wisdom got away with basically nothing but the forehead piece in SNW due to them clearly wanting to focus on the character stuff and letting him play off Babs Olusanmokun.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
The back of his (wig/prosthetic) hairline was waaaay too straight though. It looked totally unnatural.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There are a few concept shots of Jadzia with the original Trill ridges. As I understand it, it was a combination of two things, first, Terry Farrell kept having some kind of reaction to the prosthetics, and second, one of the producers (one of the lovely ones) kept saying 'no, no, keep her sexy' while they were working on the design.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

counterfeitsaint posted:

There are a few concept shots of Jadzia with the original Trill ridges. As I understand it, it was a combination of two things, first, Terry Farrell kept having some kind of reaction to the prosthetics, and second, one of the producers (one of the lovely ones) kept saying 'no, no, keep her sexy' while they were working on the design.

Gosh, I wonder who that was.

(much like with the Bajorans, I just ignore TNG re: the Trill, and it improves my life)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fighting Trousers posted:

Gosh, I wonder who that was.

Apparently there was more than just one really lovely producer, but yeah, think it's a fair guess.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Last Call posted:

I had seen that episode shown before but one day a warning got shown before the episode played normally. First time I had seen something like that on TV at that time.

They felt it was okay to air after having a kid watch it, he thought it was cool and couldn't wait for the action figure.

It was a different time.

Kinda like how they found a laser pointer could work for the Borg, but they were worried about it being pointed around on set so when filming with it attached to Picard, they removed everyone not necessary so they could get the shots with it.

I remember the warning came before the final segment on first airing. This was in Dallas, though, so broadcast standards may have been different.

Always wondered about that laser pointer. Makes sense.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Last Call posted:

It's certainly possible to damage an eye with a red laser pointer, but you'd have to be fairly determined about it -- in most cases the blink reflex will kick in long before actual damage happens. Still, when one was randomly swinging around as part of the Locutus costume, it was probably a good precaution to clear out all non-essential eyeballs.

Green lasers, on the other hand, can gently caress up a retina incredibly fast. So I hope that all those green lasers on season 2 of Picard (used on both Borg heads and Soong's mercenaries' rifles) were just special effects, or maybe red ones on set that got color changed in post-production.

Green lasers are undeniably cool -- they're great for pointing out stuff in the night sky -- but they're nothing to gently caress around with.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Regarding the lasers, it just felt like a huge missed opportunity to me for a season that was all about sticking its dick in First Contact's corpse, that they didn't go whole hog and recreate that iconic shot of the characters facing off against a dark void and then the Borg laser sights fire up one by one until the screen is just flooded with them. Or maybe they did and I've just forgotten that squelch fart of a season?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think that it technically still counts as a special effect if it's a real green laser and you blind someone with it :engleft:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Green lasers, on the other hand, can gently caress up a retina incredibly fast. So I hope that all those green lasers on season 2 of Picard (used on both Borg heads and Soong's mercenaries' rifles) were just special effects, or maybe red ones on set that got color changed in post-production.

Green lasers are undeniably cool -- they're great for pointing out stuff in the night sky -- but they're nothing to gently caress around with.

I got green lasered by a biology professor. Next time I went into daylight it hurt like the dickens.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember back in the early days of the internet you could order really powerful green laser pointers online, blue ones too maybe? There were videos of people pointing them at balloons and they would pop. I always thought it would be cool to get one, but I never did, as you can tell by my still functioning vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

I remember back in the early days of the internet you could order really powerful green laser pointers online, blue ones too maybe? There were videos of people pointing them at balloons and they would pop. I always thought it would be cool to get one, but I never did, as you can tell by my still functioning vision.

I got one of those I think. It eats AAAs like candy.