Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

50 mage and 30 something bard. All of my mage epic pieces that are in game are done, raid ocassionally but waiting for kunark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
100k in plat seems absolutely insane to me - did you work the ec tunnel market? I think I've had over 1k plat on my monk once ever.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

GrayDorian posted:

100k in plat seems absolutely insane to me - did you work the ec tunnel market? I think I've had over 1k plat on my monk once ever.

honestly mostly bored in rathe mountains, as a bard I have no competition. I did that for about 50k, then worked the market for the other 50. I don't know why, nothing has worth on this server.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I had 100k just from farming cav for epaulets. 200 a pop to any vendor.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I made ~15k farming giants, about 15k farming petrifin+shardwing before planes came out and another 15k or so farming djarn with small groups. Probably another 10-20k from random dungeon drops while leveling and flipping stuff in EC

These numbers have changed a lot with the economy, but before planes came out I mathed out rough plat per hour from some of the big cash camps:

Djarn was tops at 5700pp an hour (I dont think anyone is soloing this at 50. Very easy to wipe on the way in even with a full group, gnarly corpse retrieval if you do)
Froglok King + Tactician was second at ~3100pp (rarely camped and I've heard of enchanters soloing king, but their drops are Lore so you need to deal with that)
Frenzied ghoul was 1750pp (Regularly soloed by necros and I think enchanters, probably doable by shaman if you have a feign ring from Sky, not sure about mage, rare big money drop is Lore but his 300pp common drop is not, usually camped anyway)
Petrifin+Shardwing was 1680pp (Very easy to solo at 50 for a pet class, but this was only a good camp because most people didn't know where/how petrifin spawned, someone in my guild discord mapped the placeholders. Also very RNG dependent, Petrifin is the big money but is a very low spawn chance so you can get unlucky and never see him. Prices on these have crashed hard so don't even bother now imo)
Ghoul Lord was 1450pp
Assassin + Supplier was 1250pp (Not sure anyone solos these? Usually camped)
Froglok Noble was 790pp (pretty easy to solo on my shm, maybe close to giant money pre-planes since you'd be killing a lot of other frogs too, probably not worth now),

I was able to pull around 800-1300 raw plat an hour killing Rathe hill giants on my shaman if it wasn't ultra crowded, so when you factor in all the time it takes to sell stuff in EC thats probably always the way to go if you're not an elite gamer who can solo the king/tactician spawn, but I have no idea how crowded Rathe gets now

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 3, 2024

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
enchanters can and do pretty easily solo djarn

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I always just see 6 mages camping Djarn 24/7 on the TLPs I've played on.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he

Flavahbeast posted:

I made ~15k farming giants while leveling, about 15k farming petrifin+shardwing before planes came out and another 15k or so farming djarn with small groups. Probably another 10-20k from random dungeon drops while leveling and flipping stuff in EC

These numbers have changed a lot with the economy, but before planes came out I mathed out rough plat per hour from some of the big cash camps:

Djarn was tops at 5700pp an hour (I dont think anyone is soloing this at 50. Very easy to wipe on the way in even with a full group, gnarly corpse retrieval if you do)
Froglok King + Tactician was second at ~3100pp (rarely camped and I've heard of enchanters soloing king, but their drops are Lore so you need to deal with that)
Frenzied ghoul was 1750pp (Regularly soloed by necros and I think enchanters, probably doable by shaman if you have a feign ring from Sky, not sure about mage, rare big money drop is Lore but his 300pp common drop is not, usually camped anyway)
Petrifin+Shardwing was 1680pp (Very easy to solo at 50 for a pet class, but this was only a good camp because most people didn't know where/how petrifin spawned, someone in my guild discord mapped the placeholders. Also very RNG dependent, Petrifin is the big money but is a very low spawn chance so you can get unlucky and never see him. Prices on these have crashed hard so don't even bother now imo)
Ghoul Lord was 1450pp
Assassin + Supplier was 1250pp (Not sure anyone solos these? Usually camped)
Froglok Noble was 790pp (pretty easy to solo on my shm, maybe close to giant money pre-planes since you'd be killing a lot of other frogs too, probably not worth now),

I was able to pull around 800-1300 raw plat an hour killing Rathe hill giants on my shaman if it wasn't ultra crowded, so when you factor in all the time it takes to sell stuff in EC thats probably always the way to go if you're not an elite gamer who can solo the king/tactician spawn, but I have no idea how crowded Rathe gets now

This is a super helpful writeup, thank you. I think the first thing I need to do is make a better soloing character, probably a pet class.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cuttlefush posted:

Can they on Quarm? an enchanter I grouped with said breaking the camp solo was easy on p99 but a nightmare on quarm because pacify has a LoS check on quarm

GrayDorian posted:

This is a super helpful writeup, thank you. I think the first thing I need to do is make a better soloing character, probably a pet class.

Bard is probably the best right now, I have no clue what the economy will be like in Kunark though

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 2, 2024

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I made like 200p leveling off wisps for a bit :cool:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Cuttlefush posted:

I wouldn't say enc solo djarn is easy, but it's doable. It was fine, but risky at times, doing shaman + enc trying to clear imps + everything else. But 2 necs can hold the room easy

E,: which is to say, the most hardcore (but not sweatiest) people I knew rolled 2x neck or end+cle and then whatever they wanted to play on severe launch. Ymmv depending on whether it's live or using live for rules or true classic or what.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 3, 2024

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
I've never looked into bards, I thought they were mostly just good at killing big groups in outdoor zones.
What makes them outdo necros, chanters, or mages? Pretty much all my knowledge of this game is from playing back in 2001 or so, and very fuzzy.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GrayDorian posted:

I've never looked into bards, I thought they were mostly just good at killing big groups in outdoor zones.
What makes them outdo necros, chanters, or mages? Pretty much all my knowledge of this game is from playing back in 2001 or so, and very fuzzy.

They can perform all of those roles, plus speed, plus heals, and more, and while grouped or solo.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Gildiss posted:

They can perform all of those roles, plus speed, plus heals, and more, and while grouped or solo.

Plus carpal tunnel! But they are really, really flexible and can do just about whatever is needed and can really bring a group together.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Gildiss posted:

Well they can't really heal. Depending on gear and group level their regen can go a long way, but it'd be slow for a group with only a bard on that front.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Plus carpal tunnel! But they are really, really flexible and can do just about whatever is needed and can really bring a group together.

The carpal tunnel isn't as bad on Quarm because there's that Melody addon that will auto play groups of songs for you.

I wish it was around when I barded on P99 because the carpal tunnel was real.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The bard carpal tunnel thing is hugely overstated in the year of our lord 2024, By the standard of basically any modern MMO EQ1 bards only really rank a "meh". Compared to other classes in game I can see where they come from, but anyone who's played WoW or XIV should be use to the pace.

The thing about Bards is that they have the capacity to do a *lot* of different things, but they can only really do like 3 of those things at a time, for 18 seconds. With an extremely small handful of exceptions, their spells also cost 0 mana so they have a lot of endurance.

They can solo a lot of differnt ways. AoE is capped at 4 targets in most servers but before then you could do some really obnoxious swarm kiting, but basically any style of solo kiting is more or less viable from just snaring and DoTting them, Charm kiting, fear kiting, They get some work done.

They are always wanted in groups, and they always have a ton of solo options for a class that more or less will never have downtime if played well.

Edit, oh poo poo, bard melodies are in on Quarm?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
From what I understand there is a sound file that gets uploaded to the client and they've found out that you can put commands in that file that will then be executed no questions asked that would normally not be able to run on the client. It's not something the Quarm devs do but they endorse it. So far it has been used to add a working camera, spell sets, melody, and a bunch of other stuff making Quarm - on top of the events, instanced raids and "legacy" items - the custom server it was always going to be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GrayDorian posted:

I knew bards were broken but had never seen it first hand until we were doing kurns second floor and the guy would grab like the entire floor and lull them as we took apart a bunch of yellows and reds.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I knew bards were broken but had never seen it first hand until we were doing kurns second floor and the guy would grab like the entire floor and lull them as we took apart a bunch of yellows and reds.

AOE mezz, but it's capped at like level 24 or something. But while it works, bards are glorious.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
if there were no caps I could solo an entire zone at 50 like burning woods and go from 50-60 in a day lol

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Been thinking about getting my bard guilded, he's 55 on Blue. Any goons with a guild rec? Open to casual raiding, definitely want to see about doing my epic. I imagine getting any good raid loot is nigh impossible with the age of the server and everyone having a million dkp or however each guild distributes gear, but surely there's some decent stuff that wouldn't be contested much.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Bybus Slago posted:

Been thinking about getting my bard guilded, he's 55 on Blue. Any goons with a guild rec? Open to casual raiding, definitely want to see about doing my epic. I imagine getting any good raid loot is nigh impossible with the age of the server and everyone having a million dkp or however each guild distributes gear, but surely there's some decent stuff that wouldn't be contested much.

I joined Kittens to get my epic done as a druid, they raid a lot as well, but if that dragon scale is still locked on farm by whatever asshat guild is currently playing number one on Blue you'll never see your bard epic.

Haven't played on Blue in forever so idk if anyone still raids at all now, it could just be tunnel rats for all I know.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

just join riot (asshat guild playing number one) at 60. we'll take basically anyone, have a very supportive environment for inexperienced players, and it's easy to get gear because we kill everything.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
everyone who also wants an item I want is an rear end in a top hat

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

seems like a skill issue. have you tried simply being full bis?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I'm working on it

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Meatgrinder posted:

I joined Kittens to get my epic done as a druid, they raid a lot as well, but if that dragon scale is still locked on farm by whatever asshat guild is currently playing number one on Blue you'll never see your bard epic.

Haven't played on Blue in forever so idk if anyone still raids at all now, it could just be tunnel rats for all I know.

I forgot that bard epic had one of those pain point drops. My other character 50+ is a mage and I've come to terms with that epic being practically impossible. How does Vox even work here, do people just have a bunch of 52 vox-only characters parked in perma?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yep

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bybus Slago posted:

I forgot that bard epic had one of those pain point drops. My other character 50+ is a mage and I've come to terms with that epic being practically impossible. How does Vox even work here, do people just have a bunch of 52 vox-only characters parked in perma?

Nortlav the Scalekeeper in The Hole drops the White and Red dragon scales and can be fought at any level - Downside is that he's basically at the loving bottom of The Hole. They are also tradable so you can just flat buy it It was always priced in the tens of thousands of platinum - so you can just farm giants a (granted, good long) while if you're not confidant on getting into a raid.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

nortlav only drops the red scales

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zodium posted:

nortlav only drops the red scales

Oh right, Wasn't it Gorenaire that was the White Dragon Scale backup?

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
The last couple of days convinced me to make a bard and get it to 10 this weekend - aoe kiting is remarkably effective at killing hordes of crushbone orcs and also myself (mostly myself).

What I'm struggling to understand is how bards handle 1 on 1 fights, do they rely on charm later?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Gore and Vox drop white scales and both are high priority targets for guilds, so you’re going to need dkp

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

GrayDorian posted:

The last couple of days convinced me to make a bard and get it to 10 this weekend - aoe kiting is remarkably effective at killing hordes of crushbone orcs and also myself (mostly myself).

What I'm struggling to understand is how bards handle 1 on 1 fights, do they rely on charm later?

I never really liked swarm kiting since it was far too volatile for my taste. Charm kiting is probably the best at higher levels (I'm 55 and been doing sentient armor in WL), but fear kiting is also an option, since fleeing mobs take full damage from dots. Early on melee is doable since good bard weapons are cheap and you have a nice source of haste and regen, but its effectiveness falls off a cliff somewhere in the 30s.

A_Druish_Princess
Jan 12, 2024

GrayDorian posted:

If the mob is hitting you, you are in bad shape. Bards mostly dot kite. I think the charm and mez song both require mana so it isn’t super efficient

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

GrayDorian posted:

If you want to kill 1 tough enemy, what you can do is reverse kite where you gather a huge kite including the mob you want to kill, charm it, and send it into the kite

You can fear kite too

But I would just not choose a 1 on 1 fight with the class that owns at 1v25 fights

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

A_Druish_Princess posted:

If the mob is hitting you, you are in bad shape. Bards mostly dot kite. I think the charm and mez song both require mana so it isn’t super efficient

Charm doesn't require mana until luclin and beyond if I remember correctly, Mezz is always free, but they nerfed the first mezz you get to be single target only, no AE mez for bards anymore.

If you're fighting blues below level 20 or so, you can kind of tank&spank and just keep healing , haste, and (when you get it) slow up and running.

At higher levels if you want to just do single target stuff, you can just twist speed and a couple of single target chant dots and run them away to death.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Charm doesn't require mana until luclin and beyond if I remember correctly, Mezz is always free, but they nerfed the first mezz you get to be single target only, no AE mez for bards anymore.

If you're fighting blues below level 20 or so, you can kind of tank&spank and just keep healing , haste, and (when you get it) slow up and running.

At higher levels if you want to just do single target stuff, you can just twist speed and a couple of single target chant dots and run them away to death.

The higher level charm costs 20 mana, but you'd have to be going for a while to run out. On the flip side, bards don't benefit from any form of mana regen (except flowing thought items) so recovery is slow as hell. The AoE mez only works up to level 25 mobs so you grow out of it real quick, but the single target mezzes feel like they last slightly longer, you can keep 4-5 mobs mezzed if you really have to. Also useful to pulse mez against casters to interrupt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Do we have anyone planning on getting in on Quarm's iksar early access? I've really been thinking about rolling up a monk and watching the madness. Should be interesting without having access to twink gear / chanter jewelry and the like for a month