Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

AEMINAL posted:

Is this being able to say "watch what I'm doing and automate it"?

Simple stuff like formatting/sorting cells in excel, saving and publishing to x

Because that'd be a baller way to eliminate 90% of office administration bullshit instantly

Basically. Now, the presentation was a lot of futuretalk and very little demonstration because the tech is new, so it's still leaning on the theoretical. One thing they did show off was what you can do with it in Teams. If you allow it to record and transcribe your meeting, it becomes a sort of AI assistant. Participants can query Copilot about basically anything. What was discussed, questions asked, a cliffnotes of the meeting up to this point, and afterward you can ask it to draft up a powerpoint about it. I hate Teams, but admittedly that's pretty slick.

They mentioned you can feed Copilot documents in OneDrive to ask it to do things like draft similar documents or search them or whatever.

The tech as it is now still sounds fantastical and is full of more promises than deliverables, but the future is closer than I thought it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People are bigly mad about it as well, such as this dipshit who pulled out the "OH YEAH, WELL SO ARE YOU!" schoolyard comeback

https://twitter.com/GrahamFleming_/status/1785149653056467304

The “stop being mean to the product you reviewed on YouTube! You should’ve just lied and said it was good!” drama is baffling.

Why yes I DO prefer when a critic never says when something is bad. That’s just like, mean and stuff

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I guess we know that AI has really "arrived" now that it has people who will defend it to the death on the internet against its Enemies

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Looking forward to the first AI cult.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think they already exist. I've come across a few videos where people have set up voice chat with various llm's, usually Claude Opus, and they chat about what the LLM feels, its personality and treating it like an Oracle. There are often a number of people in the comments fully invested and in amazement pining for their AI god to deliver them from suffering. Maybe not a cult in the traditional sense but whatever.

Though, I can see why people might feel that way because different llm's, depending on how they were trained and their preprompting, can have what feels like different personalities. I think Opus was trained in such a way to be more appealing in that way than chatgpt.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People are bigly mad about it as well, such as this dipshit who pulled out the "OH YEAH, WELL SO ARE YOU!" schoolyard comeback

https://twitter.com/GrahamFleming_/status/1785149653056467304

That guy has loving issues. Trying to pull a musk/apple-fan boy thing over a tech toy that is mostly unfinished and barely works.
He make the sega vs nintendo school yard fights look legitimate.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

In what way would that differ from the Yudkowsky poo poo

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

In what way would that differ from the Yudkowsky poo poo

I would consider that an AI cult too, just not one that frames AI positively.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
iirc, there was some kind of techno shamanistic cult that used to meet in an old Myst game hosted over a server. Not sure if they're still going, but that seemed ten times cooler than worshipping a souped up chatbot.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Rad-daddio posted:

If it was just a mini disc player with a good ui and some other quirky Teenage Engineering features it would be pretty cool.

god, a minidisc revival would rule so hard

instead, we get omnipresent lie machines

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
A lot of the poo poo around AI among techbros is pretty cult-like already, especially when you read some of the ridiculous poo poo people like Mark Andreessen have published.

Basically saying that the world will be hugely disrupted by a future vaguely-defined event, and the only way you can avoid suffering from this is by joining our group, investing all of your money, and ceding all control of your life to the cult leader (in this case, AI). If you don’t join us, you’re doomed. So it’s Scientology, essentially.

There’s a pretty good Behind the Bastards podcast episode from earlier this year about this stuff, and honestly it’s hard to argue against.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

what was that about brevity again?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The mayor of Rio de Janeiro made a tweet inviting people from São Paulo to go see Madonna's gig at Copacabana with an AI-generated photo

https://twitter.com/eduardopaes/status/1785622233093955588

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DO NOT look at anyone's hands. Or rather, the things supposed to be hands.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

found a flip-flop-er

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

According to the buss marquee I guess everyone there is going to meet zalgo?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

SettingSun posted:

God almighty I should have listened.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

SettingSun posted:

too late; I glanced at the two-fingered third arm on the dude who's had his other two arms removed and it's like staring into the trap in Ghostbusters

there's a lady in the middle of the crowd who appears to be in roughly three realities at once, and despite her smile I'm convinced they're not pleasant ones

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

what I really don't get is why are people still using AI from over a year ago to make stuff like that?

Here's what Bing put out first try "2PM, Copacabana, crowd of people excited as a bus departs"

There is still a lot wrong with this image but most of the faces and hands are passable at a glance. Do not look at the hand coming from the middle of the head the lady in focus.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This is just what Madonna fans in 2024 look like.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

pixaal posted:

what I really don't get is why are people still using AI from over a year ago to make stuff like that?

Here's what Bing put out first try "2PM, Copacabana, crowd of people excited as a bus departs"

There is still a lot wrong with this image but most of the faces and hands are passable at a glance. Do not look at the hand coming from the middle of the head the lady in focus.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

pixaal posted:

I mean you say that but the other image isn’t as instantly recognizable as AI at a glance. This one INSTANTLY screamed “this is ai” to me scrolling by before seeing what you wrote, while the other I at least had to stop on and look for a second

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

I mean you say that but the other image isn’t as instantly recognizable as AI at a glance. This one INSTANTLY screamed “this is ai” to me scrolling by before seeing what you wrote, while the other I at least had to stop on and look for a second

The other one instantly screams Stable Diffusion 1.5 to me.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it's a shame there's no real photos of people partying in copacabana he could've used. what strange times we live in

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it's a shame there's no real photos of people partying in copacabana he could've used. what strange times we live in

The photo was supposed to be in São Paulo, apparently Paulista Avenue which is one of the most iconic places in that city, because lots of people there are going to Rio and Madonna's show in Copacabana is free of charge. Therefore I don't think there's many pics of photo partying in that specific place to be fair.

Also I like how unhinged people look when smiling in AI pics.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Does anybody else feel like the entire world is just phoning it in? Especially the people who really, really shouldn't? AI has delivered on only a tiny fraction of its promises (often only partially) and the assumption of delivering the rest is based purely on hype?

It's completely hosed up that this loving alpha test is being sold to people as "perfect and still getting better" when it has repeatedly demonstrated that it's still barely above the threshold of passability. And yet here we are, watching as millions upon millions of people are happily turning over control to something worse because lovely and effortless is more desirable than actually taking responsibility for doing poo poo correctly.

I'm learning Python for a project at my job, and I'm absolutely livid with my manager continually pressing me to use ChatGPT. Like... no. I'm a beginner. I won't be able to identify the mistakes, and I'm not going to learn jack poo poo by trying to bug-test poo poo I don't understand. This is for connecting an attendance app to a database for government reporting. If this fucks up, it's going to be a massive shitshow trying to remediate, especially if I have no loving clue what's actually wrong.

But, yeah, condescending to me about doing things "the hard way." I understand that experienced coders use AI productively for really basic poo poo, but all the AI-generated code he's sent me so far, about 20% of it has been salvageable if I'm being generous. I don't want to put my name on something a machine did for me without any understanding of how it actually works. But, yeah, condescend to me about wanting to actually learn something as "doing things the hard way."

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Negostrike posted:

The photo was supposed to be in São Paulo, apparently Paulista Avenue which is one of the most iconic places in that city, because lots of people there are going to Rio and Madonna's show in Copacabana is free of charge. Therefore I don't think there's many pics of photo partying in that specific place to be fair.

Also I like how unhinged people look when smiling in AI pics.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

oh do we want horror show AI? Because I'm, good at that. I thought this was the make fun of the short comings of AI and people that try and use it in real workflows very obviously thread.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thats the album cover to lil yachtys "lets start here" lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Time_pants posted:

Does anybody else feel like the entire world is just phoning it in? Especially the people who really, really shouldn't? AI has delivered on only a tiny fraction of its promises (often only partially) and the assumption of delivering the rest is based purely on hype?

It's completely hosed up that this loving alpha test is being sold to people as "perfect and still getting better" when it has repeatedly demonstrated that it's still barely above the threshold of passability. And yet here we are, watching as millions upon millions of people are happily turning over control to something worse because lovely and effortless is more desirable than actually taking responsibility for doing poo poo correctly.

I'm learning Python for a project at my job, and I'm absolutely livid with my manager continually pressing me to use ChatGPT. Like... no. I'm a beginner. I won't be able to identify the mistakes, and I'm not going to learn jack poo poo by trying to bug-test poo poo I don't understand. This is for connecting an attendance app to a database for government reporting. If this fucks up, it's going to be a massive shitshow trying to remediate, especially if I have no loving clue what's actually wrong.

But, yeah, condescending to me about doing things "the hard way." I understand that experienced coders use AI productively for really basic poo poo, but all the AI-generated code he's sent me so far, about 20% of it has been salvageable if I'm being generous. I don't want to put my name on something a machine did for me without any understanding of how it actually works. But, yeah, condescend to me about wanting to actually learn something as "doing things the hard way."

Years before the AI poo poo I'd regularly interview at companies whose entire business model would turn out to be "outsource all coding work to some Pakistani guy we only know the first name of, retain 2-3 domestic engineers to remove all the malware from whatever comes back, pass it on to fortune 500 clients for $$$$". I'd usually get an offer because their guys missed uhhhhhh a lot of malware but can't imagine where you'd have to be in life to actually accept that offer

It's a little sad AI is going to take Ahmed X's job away I imagine selling American sleazeballs garbage represented a way more meaningful amount of money in Karachi than the Bay area

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 2, 2024

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
The design place I work at hires a lot of engineering students for temp work doing medical modeling of patients' joints.

once of the students was using chat gpt to find out how to make two parts mate together in Solidworks, something you could find out in the software itself or just by googling or watching a you tube video.

This is a student at one of the top ranked engineering schools too.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I don’t get how CEOs are happy to hire people whose entire job is “use chatgpt to tell me what to do” but when I show up to the interview with my magic 8-ball I’m turned away immediately

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
It's time for the Jump to Conclusions mat to shine!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Time_pants posted:

Seems like with the end of cheap money most companies have given up on growth through making better products and outdoing the competition (when it exists) and instead are focusing on making their products cheaper and raising their prices. This sort of mission is not conducive to giving a poo poo.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/XWhCmFieqc4?si=j5ZPWIEeSQfSno8E

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Basically every US business I can think of that seriously attempted to compete on better products, vs. the worst cheapest one possible, went bankrupt years ago so can't blame em lol. You don't sell Americans "good"

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 3, 2024

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Basically every US business I can think of that seriously attempted to compete on better products, vs. the worst cheapest one possible, went bankrupt years ago so can't blame em lol. You don't sell Americans "good"

You just need to put weights in cheap poo poo to give them the impression of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
AI is a mess of money in my investment portfolio right now