Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
It’s not going to change the world or even do anything useful, right looks like the Internet of things from 10 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Maudib Arakkis posted:

It’s not going to change the world or even do anything useful, right looks like the Internet of things from 10 years ago?

You can already use it to make art and write silly stories or solve simple programming tasks. It's not perfect, but did you expect it to just suddenly show up, fully formed and ready to replace everyone or something? It's at least entertaining.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It sucks big time.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A lot of big corporations have billions of dollars invested in it so it is at bare minimum going to ensure they are going to be powerfully incentivized to boost the monkey-jpeg-buying morons who think it's going to change the world for the foreseeable future

much in the same way that IoT is passé and everyone knows that poo poo sucks but every year it gets more difficult to buy a non-"smart" TV or a fridge that doesn't have wifi connectivity and a camera for some goddamn reason yes

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 11, 2024

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
It has the potential to make everything far worse than it already is, increasing the general enshittification already occurring.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Its somehow gonna make the poor poorer and the rich richer so no its not gonna change anything

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Samovar posted:

It sucks big time.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I don't really think about AI much, and probably won't until it does something more useful like suck my balls or cook me dinner

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it doesnt help me do my job unfortunaeltly which is already very easy but people who say it does - i hav eto assume their job is at immediate risk, no?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The LLM approach to AI seems like it's applicable to mostly bad poo poo and not to much of worth IMO. but then I am a sourpuss goon who only sees the worst in everything so there you go.

Disinformation
Ripping off creative people and decreasing their ability to earn a living
Putting a load of irritating nonsense in every search result I do so it gets to the point I can't read the word "certainly" without scowling
etc.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
A lot of illiterate college kids will use it to write C+ essays to go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for degrees that are totally worthless so in that respect nothing will change.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I think MDs will be among the first to get replaced by AI

Idk how many years of car mechanics we have left either, that seems like another easy one to replace.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

my employer is investing heavily into AI tech lmao. I'm sure it will go swimmingly

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Worf posted:

Idk how many years of car mechanics we have left either, that seems like another easy one to replace.

yup. can;t remember teh last time i was at the mechanic. it's basically all on GPT-4 now

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

AI replaced my best friend and now all he does is beep and boop and make other robot type noises

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Hammerite posted:

The LLM approach to AI seems like it's applicable to mostly bad poo poo and not to much of worth IMO. but then I am a sourpuss goon who only sees the worst in everything so there you go.

Disinformation
Ripping off creative people and decreasing their ability to earn a living
Putting a load of irritating nonsense in every search result I do so it gets to the point I can't read the word "certainly" without scowling
etc.

Is the word "certainly" some kind of tell for AI written stuff?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Samovar posted:

It sucks big time.

Yeah this thread is rear end, but what about AI?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Right now LLM tech is a really cool way to interact with data in a natural language. Is it really a stepping stone to AGI or Super intelligence? Maybe, maybe not. Is it overblown? Yes, right now it is. It's not ready to replace a lot of the jobs that people think it will, I wouldn't be too worried for a few years anyways.

It's a very useful tool and I enjoy using it but yeah, it's not perfect and it is trained on other's intellectual property but whatever, it was kind of expected.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Worf posted:

They're already using the *NEW* Gen AI chat bots to replace therapists :v:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Worf posted:

How are mds and mechanics easy to replace? We're still a long ways away from properly embodying these models.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

for anything that needs robust logic and the ability to predict or synthesize information, it sucks poo poo, at least the gpt based tools. in particular i’ve tried it for tech writing (and comprehension) as well as a small amount of code gen and it’s godawful. truly scary to think people would be using the results for anything more complex than regurgitating a textbook algorithm or hello world, but then again it’s very scary that many people i’ve worked with are also generating code so maybe gpt can replace the type of people who only exist as a drag on every team they join.

the AI that makes weird funny pictures from prompts seems a lot more promising and is probably putting people out of jobs already

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Machine learning has endless applications in reducing human cognitive load, paving the way for truly impressive technology. However we won't be doing any of that, we'll just put more people out of work and make everything worse

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tarkus posted:

How are mds and mechanics easy to replace? We're still a long ways away from properly embodying these models.

Which jobs are going to be replaced before those

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

people that think that ai is gonna replace hella jobs - remember that most large corporations have an enormously bloated middle management/bureaucracy layer that is staffed almost exclusively by fake job havers which doesnt even need ai to displace them, and yet they are still employed

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Rad-daddio posted:

Is the word "certainly" some kind of tell for AI written stuff?

some LLMs have a tendency to produce responses starting with "certainly!"

for example I came up with a query off the top of my head just now: "sql server delete from one table via join" and this is what Bing spits out in its little AI sidebar:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hammerite posted:

some LLMs have a tendency to produce responses starting with "certainly!"

for example I came up with a query off the top of my head just now: "sql server delete from one table via join" and this is what Bing spits out in its little AI sidebar:

lol

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Worf posted:

Which jobs are going to be replaced before those

Call centers, drive thru people, technical writers, customer service representatives, telemarketers, technical support agents, live chat support staff, personal assistants, booking and reservation agents, email support staff, social media managers, language translators, content moderators. I mean, that's just a few but there is a list of jobs that are far easier to replace than the two you gave. What do you think MD's and mechanics do? Just look at symptoms and tell you what's wrong?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

When's the last time you've been in a hospital in America lmao

I absolutely think that the cognitive functions required to diagnose something are going to be replaced by a low paid employee plugging something into a computer

And then in the case of vehicles etc where you can just have a scan of where every component is with minimal variation, I think that will be probably one of the easier ones to replace wholesale eventually

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 11, 2024

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

people that think that ai is gonna replace hella jobs - remember that most large corporations have an enormously bloated middle management/bureaucracy layer that is staffed almost exclusively by fake job havers which doesnt even need ai to displace them, and yet they are still employed

People still fear computers they'll want handlers for them and that will turn out not to be the IT guy but someone that knows how to do that job. Oh they will *try* and have IT guys replace other critical jobs to disastrous results someplaces do not get me wrong. This is going to sink some companies that don't understand it. It will become a tool like a computer, a workforce multiplier.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tarkus posted:

What do you think MD's and mechanics do? Just look at symptoms and tell you what's wrong?

yes, but only after they get it wrong a few times first

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its generating pentabytes of trash.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Worf posted:

Never

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

these are the exact guys who are excitedly burbling about how many employees they can lay off rn

it's not a speculative thing, a bunch of companies are already mass sacking more or less random positions to replace them with a toy because as far as the executives can tell they look the same and cost a bit less. it's just that outside specific headline-worthy stuff like crisis hotlines replacing people with chatbots that tell people to hurt themselves it's gonna take like a year to see whether it worked out and the proles are indeed obsolete or that was a dumb move and we're going to see a massive economic crash as all those businesses fail at once

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

People posting huge blocks of AI generated text is the new people talking about their dreams

meaning I glaze over and stop paying attention and generally get annoyed if it's really too long

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Also if we're being honest there's a much bigger shortage of doctors and medical staff then there are for people that can work in a call center lol

So I absolutely think that the financial incentive is there based on the size of those markets and the amount of money including insurance companies thats a part of the industries

And in America which is basically the only country that matters honestly, they would absolutely cut out the middleman of having a doctor and just have an AI interpreter/customer service representative and some nurse technicians as soon as they could

It's not a market that has traditional competition, there's no hoteling theory that dictates your customer service needs to be better than the next one at your emergency room especially as these things get more corporatized

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Hate to break it to you OP but Natalie Imbruglia's hit single Torn was made entirely with AI (Australian Intelligence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV1XWJN3nJo

An example of what AI can do:

So I guess the fortune teller's right
Should have seen just what was there and not some holy light
But you crawled beneath my veins and now
I don't care, I have no luck
I don't miss it all that much
There's just so many things
That I can't touch, I'm torn

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You: "pain abndobminal appendix burst waht to do"

Copilot: "Certainly! I will need you to get several grams of Ketamine, a sharp kitchen knife, a sewing kit and a friend you trust who is good with their hands!"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Worf posted:

I absolutely think that the cognitive functions required to diagnose something are going to be replaced by a low paid employee plugging something into a computer

And then in the case of vehicles etc where you can just have a scan of where every component is with minimal variation, I think that will be probably one of the easier ones to replace wholesale eventually

lol you've understood what mechanics do and how automobiles work perfectly

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Sorry, as an open language model I don't have a tongue and cannot lick your toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

kntfkr posted:

Sorry, as an open language model I don't have a tongue and cannot lick your toes.

welcome back :shobon: