Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Feel like an org like the ACLU suing these colleges would be more effective than anything coming out of the DOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Im forty eight, suck my gray withered nutsack you sniveling, cynical coward

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

quote:

"Commie losers across the country have invaded college campuses to make dumb demands of weak University Administrators,"

https://twitter.com/white_janissary/status/1786111841506132153?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

well tbf a lot of that stuff comes down to the board of governors, but every university has different governance. Still a cop out, since the president generally has some pull but in terms of things they can do right this second probably not.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if left alone most of these people would become good little collaborationist AOCs. now they're going to have a lot fewer of these people to brainwash and condition into dancing Ds. this is not very significant in the long, long term of "western collapse" but it is a marked change to consent manufacturing.

Well, maybe. I doubt there's any clear logic behind the draconian response beyond just lashing out, but it's at least plausible that cracking down like this could be preferable for Zionists.

For example:
- You don't crackdown on protesters. They go on to become collaborationist AOCs, but without the older generation's extreme attachment to Israel they're fine with abandoning it. Bad long-term outcome if you're a Zionist.
- You do crackdown on protesters. The truly radical ones are expelled/imprisoned and removed from the "ruling class pipeline." Maybe others are more radicalized, but as the years pass they fall in line to preserve their own careers. Good outcome if you're a Zionist.

But while there might be some people thinking this way, I think it's mostly just lashing out. Either way, I think campus protests in the US are very low on the list of "things that will decide Israel's/Palestine's fate" (and I agree with the decision to make this a separate thread for that reason). I doubt Israel will even last long enough for current Columbia students to become future government officials. They've crossed a line, and they'll never be able to fully defeat Hamas and other military resistance. It might take years, but they've started down a path I doubt they can reverse.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The lions won a playoff game, anything is possible

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

JainDoh posted:

block everyone you know who believes a better world isn't possible and feels the need to emphasize it

being a doomer is one thing, bringing others down is another

no, they're the same thing. being a doomer is just making an excuse for not doing anything and trying to bring others down is trying to make them reinforce your own laziness/lack of conviction

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The lions won a playoff game, anything is possible

Death to lionists

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hatebag posted:

no, they're the same thing. being a doomer is just making an excuse for not doing anything and trying to bring others down is trying to make them reinforce your own laziness/lack of conviction

:hmmyes:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

speng31b posted:

Some managers are brutal in the way they house workers in firetraps, expose children to dangerous chemicals, deny bathroom breaks, demand sexual favors, force people to work double shifts or dismiss anyone who tries to organize a union. Agitation for improved safety conditions can be helpful, just as it was in 19th-century Europe. But Asian workers would be aghast at the idea of American consumers boycotting certain toys or clothing in protest. The simplest way to help the poorest Asians would be to buy more from sweatshops, not less.

lmao

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

so let me guess are they gonna have jewish heritage month tents at the protests to show the difference

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
https://x.com/pslnational/status/1786123614489571817?s=46

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Are there stats on those arrested at the protests and for what charges specifically? How available is that data?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

go away

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lol what a dumb struggle session

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Nobody ever would have guessed that the government sucks if it wasn't for these events

The people getting arrested and beaten wouldnt have. America is something that happens to other people.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Rip Testes posted:

Are there stats on those arrested at the protests and for what charges specifically? How available is that data?

havent seen hard numbers just someone citing AP as saying over 2000

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rip Testes posted:

Over 9000!!!!!!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Hatebag posted:

well is posting praxis or not

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

idk i feel good spreading primary source info very soon after it happens, stuff that gets buried

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Well, maybe. I doubt there's any clear logic behind the draconian response beyond just lashing out, but it's at least plausible that cracking down like this could be preferable for Zionists.

For example:
- You don't crackdown on protesters. They go on to become collaborationist AOCs, but without the older generation's extreme attachment to Israel they're fine with abandoning it. Bad long-term outcome if you're a Zionist.
- You do crackdown on protesters. The truly radical ones are expelled/imprisoned and removed from the "ruling class pipeline." Maybe others are more radicalized, but as the years pass they fall in line to preserve their own careers. Good outcome if you're a Zionist.

But while there might be some people thinking this way, I think it's mostly just lashing out. Either way, I think campus protests in the US are very low on the list of "things that will decide Israel's/Palestine's fate" (and I agree with the decision to make this a separate thread for that reason). I doubt Israel will even last long enough for current Columbia students to become future government officials. They've crossed a line, and they'll never be able to fully defeat Hamas and other military resistance. It might take years, but they've started down a path I doubt they can reverse.

The cops are beating people and arresting them and its just causing more people to come. If these universities just did what Brown did this really would be all over. This in no way benefits the Zionists and is yet another example of them creating more problems for themselves by trying to solve every problem with brutality and violence.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I learned the protestors at my school were released from this thread, which says a hell of a lot about the levels of communication we have available.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Just learned my college is also having an encampment. Wishing them the best of luck.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

no, praxis is implementation of ideology. running your mouth or fingers ain't implementing poo poo

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it's always doomer losers who assume everyone else is also just posting and not getting involved in things.

but yeah, sometimes posting is praxis, like student journalists spreading live video of police brutality, or people connecting others to practical local places to donate to in palestine, or to bail funds or whatever.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Raccooon posted:

Feel like an org like the ACLU suing these colleges would be more effective than anything coming out of the DOE

aclu suing the colleges for being antisemitic????

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Clip-On Fedora posted:

The cops are beating people and arresting them and its just causing more people to come. If these universities just did what Brown did this really would be all over. This in no way benefits the Zionists and is yet another example of them creating more problems for themselves by trying to solve every problem with brutality and violence.

even if it works out as intended Zionists are demanding the sacrifice of half the next generation of Americas ruling class, and these are some of the worlds best and brightest. the STEM lords and business majors are idiot savants or sociopathic. they intend to dumb down and vulgarize the United States in a way that will permanently weaken it in the exact same way Israel has gotten stupid and lazy, by constantly rewarding its biggest idiot retards.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Al! posted:

aclu suing the colleges for being antisemitic????

For suppressing freedom of speech. Kind of the ACLU's whole thing

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Oh weird I thought they just defended Nazis right to march and pretended that the second amendment doesnt exist.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Is talking to other people praxis?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

i dont care if youre making memes, writing protest music, or what tbh

im too copd to get teargassed and a bit on the disabled side to be getting beaten, it's not in the cards for me. i'm making my own peace with that

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Can someone do praxis and buy me plat? Thanks

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

JainDoh posted:

i dont care if youre making memes, writing protest music, or what tbh

im too copd to get teargassed and a bit on the disabled side to be getting beaten, it's not in the cards for me. i'm making my own peace with that

lmfao

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Loucks posted:

Oh weird I thought they just defended Nazis right to march and pretended that the second amendment doesnt exist.

Yeah that's it, basically.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ace Transmuter posted:

suppressing freedom of speech of the jewish students who werent able to attend class due to the antisemitic protests?????¿

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

So sorry, my testosterone, its just a hair under the legal limit for political activism. But I'll be supporting you from the couch!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the aclu is busy trying to get the nlrb dismantled

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Yes the ACLU are trash centrists but they're on the protestors' side at least for this one.

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
E: whoops wrong thread