Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I hadn’t logged into Twitter for a long time. I remember Abrams being critical of Ukraine and was surprised to see how pro Israel he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TVBgsMcjJ4
I was wondering why I followed this guy on Twitter and then I remembered he was a War Nerd guest years ago

wait this is the guy who said that expanding the definition of terrorist to include white militias and other right wing groups was bad because it just expanded the war on terror/surveillance state etc. what the gently caress lol

and yeah I seem to remember him writing a lot about the blob and how the first thing you do at a think tank is get media training, he was very critical of foreign policy reporting and well I guess we found his blindspot.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I hadn’t signed into Twitter for a long time and saw he was full Zionist. a quick moment of surprise than an unfollow.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I went back and listened to the episode (it is more a yglesias voice mixed with jordan peterson’s, not great). I like listening to old shows, I should do it more. The episode ends on the then-fresh news that SA killed Khashoggi in the Turkish embassy.

Mark Abrahm's thesis about what "works" for rebels trying to control territory was pretty RWN friendly (they muse at the end how similar it is to things they have said about rebel group strategy) and he has an analytical / data approach. His bond with the show is that natsec twitter had dogpiled him in that crude way they do when you're right and they have to come back with Assadist! or try to dredge up some dirt from the past. But he's also plugging the hell out of his book (rules for rebels rules for rebels rules for rebels), knows the show he's on, and generally seems kind of ideology-free, which of course nobody actually is so those recent tweets seem more uh indicative of that. They only bigger thing John disagrees with is the IRA, which Abrahms had scored a "failure" and sort of hides behind other "scholars" on that take but whatever. He does say at the end "this book makes people mad as hell so your audience should love it", maybe tipping his hand a little about what he thinks of it but also I mean he's not wrong lol. Plus it's been almost 5 years so who knows.

pangstrom has issued a correction as of 15:37 on May 3, 2024

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Who else remembers the whoisioz blog?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

lol @ everyone replying to them about the netty pot with "BOIL THAT DISTILLED poo poo BRAIN EATING BAD"

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

really appreciated the primer on the political economy of academia. wondering if anyone is writing about it or if it’s all just oral history

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1788948098250670287

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mandel Brotset posted:

really appreciated the primer on the political economy of academia. wondering if anyone is writing about it or if it’s all just oral history

a fair amount of ink has been spilled but because this is academia it's all wrapped in impenetrable jargon and also highly decontextualised and thus inaccessable for the vulgate. so it must be, because 1) everybody who matters thinks that dogmatic faith in academia is the last front before general societal collapse, 2) academics are all crazy people who cannot handle nuance or decent prose and 3) most venues where a text which was accessible to the general public would get published is unprestigious and thus poorly regarded

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Yunior

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
thicc bald young Soviet generals, good stuff so far.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

"while he worked"

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
it was in the previous episode, but I love whenever Mark mentions Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. it’s awesome how funny he thinks it is.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hadji murad posted:

it was in the previous episode, but I love whenever Mark mentions Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. it’s awesome how funny he thinks it is.

gen xers love that poo poo. they eat it up.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

also i found this old, old interview with the war nerd himself. some pretty good lines here. https://www.lindsayrabbitt.com/john-dolan-listener-december-10-2006/

quote:

His three books of poetry, People with Real Lives Don’t Need Landscapes (2003), Stuck Up (1995) and Slave (1988), are soon to be published as a single volume entitled My Treaty with Dusk by Capricorn Publishing, the same small American outfit that published his autobiographical novel, Pleasant Hell, earlier this year. The dark comic story of self-loathing and loserdom, which I can imagine adapted into a Coen brothers-type movie, was reviewed favourably, but New Zealand publishers shied away from distributing it. “And I understand why,” Dolan says. “It’s a pretty gross book. I think it’s gross in the way that’s funny, and it only does harm to people who need to be harmed.”

Dolan sent a photograph of his dog to the publishers of one of his books to use for the author’s pic. They wrote back saying they really wanted a photograph of Dolan, so he sent them one, and the publishers replied saying they preferred the dog.

quote:

But Dolan’s reviews don’t respect borders. “If my writing could take revenge I would be very happy. If I’ve ever taken effectual revenge it’s by the book reviews that I do for The eXile. I know this because some of the targets write to me or put me on their websites to defend themselves against me, which implies there’s a palpable hit.”

In the first essay in his “Great Literary Frauds of Our Time” series, he spared no ammunition assailing Arundhati Roy, the first Indian citizen to win a Booker Prize for her book The God of Small Things. He calls Roy a “literary careerist who has parlayed an overwritten melodrama into unearned fame” and says that “her crude scolding warms the hearts of old British lefties who love it when their tame Indian slaves get up on their hind legs to denounce the bloody Americans, who oppress the world so much less skilfully than they used to …”

quote:

“Speed makes writing fun. On speed, writing is glorious, even if the results are not always happy ones. You might spend 10 hours working on one paragraph, and you read it the next day, and you’re appalled. And after having spent all the neuro-transmitters that you’d need for the next six months, it doesn’t make that comedown much easier. But sometimes the results are great. So I just want to thank the chemist who invented amphetamines. Someone should be grateful.”

quote:

In the novel, the young John Dolan is a sullen, socially inept nerd with an aversion to bathing. “It’s important to talk about how gross life really is,” Dolan says. “In movies nerds are relatively slim and decent looking. I’m a nerd pedant. I wanted to talk about a nerd who is much grosser …

thats probably enough. really fun reading and i really can hear these quotes in his voice lol.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

lobster shirt posted:

also i found this old, old interview with the war nerd himself. some pretty good lines here. https://www.lindsayrabbitt.com/john-dolan-listener-december-10-2006/

thats probably enough. really fun reading and i really can hear these quotes in his voice lol.

the dog photo one is :perfect:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
That is the most flattering photo I’ve ever seen of him.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Remulak posted:

That is the most flattering photo I’ve ever seen of him.

that’s a cow

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
they really dont make crazy rear end white boys like john brown anymore

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i like warriors for christ who don't get caught

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
lol wtf i didnt realize it was this guy they had on

https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/jeff-stein/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

code:
           we must resist white supremacy with unrelenting violence
___________________________________/

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i say swears online posted:

code:
           we must resist white supremacy with unrelenting violence
___________________________________/

lol

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

never forget
https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/10/24/16503462/dsa-women-cumtown-chapo

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

it should have been matt christman

get well soon dude

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Spime Wrangler posted:

it should have been matt christman

get well soon dude

he was so bad, i genuinely wish they got a lefitst guy to talk about him even one of the trillbilly's would have been leagues better

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
at one point he talks about the pottawatomie massacre and says that it wasnt certain that a mob of pro slavery guys would have killed john brown and his kids

he also talks about how he downplays browns christainity in his podcast. imagine saying that about a dude who thought god chose him to enact his wrath

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Modern liberal subject unable to conceive giving ones self over to a cause greater than the individual. Many such cases.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

he also talks about how he downplays browns christainity in his podcast. imagine saying that about a dude who thought god chose him to enact his wrath

i feel that mr brown, if he lived today, would go to a unitarian church and listen to wait wait don't tell me...just like me!!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

at one point he talks about the pottawatomie massacre and says that it wasnt certain that a mob of pro slavery guys would have killed john brown and his kids

:manning:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Guy who went on a literal crusade : really not all that Christian after all

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

eh as the guy said some of brown's companions were outright atheists. the case seems to be that the moral objective was couched in christian terms and a christian framework for brown, but that it was the moral abhorrence of slavery which really drove him. what makes brown special is that he really takes the consequence of something a lot of people were seeing at the time - that slavery and the sectional issue was a fundamental blight on his country which had to be extirpated and that no sacrifice was too great to accomplish that. if we assume that brown had to be christian to have this realisation, then his challenge to us today is much less compelling: we can simply say that we don't have that level of moral obligation or commitment and can go comfortably on with our lives. if it is true regardless of his christianity, we have to reckon with our own moral culpability in not throwing our own bodies into the machines of destruction active today.

it also poses some to the mainstream very awkward questions about non-state political violence and when that is permissible or even laudable - it's telling that the guy starts wringing his hands the moment brown doesn't act like, basically, a saint. the john brown story today is more useful if we don't see the religiosity as essential to the whole project. of course it was important to brown himself, but the questions posed by john brown don't change their fundamental character in a secular moral framework imo

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Good old fashion Roman(eastern) military history hell yea

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Popy posted:

Good old fashion Roman(eastern) military history hell yea

hell yeah, love eastern roman military campaigning successfully and getting absolutely wrecked in a perfect cycle for hundreds of years

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I live in Dunedin and it always feels so strange an American popular podcaster used to live here and mentions it every so often.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I live in Victoria, BC and it’s been funny to hear anecdotes about how it left a bad taste in his mouth and how two faced the people are.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

from the RWN facebook group, don't know how to embed facebook videos

https://fb.watch/stQDT9vNUD/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

V. Illych L. posted:

lif we assume that brown had to be christian to have this realisation, then his challenge to us today is much less compelling: we can simply say that we don't have that level of moral obligation or commitment and can go comfortably on with our lives. if it is true regardless of his christianity, we have to reckon with our own moral culpability in not throwing our own bodies into the machines of destruction active today.
yeah I think a big push in more contemporary times to paint brown as simply being violently mentally ill schizo or too in love with Jesus or whatever is basically this. it’s a way to avoid thinking about moral culpability and endear complacency