Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Bleck posted:

You can also just not greet people based on gender, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
My experience with the boycott so far is that I can either shop at stores with produce that's clean and more expensive, or cheaper and probably moldy. I've chosen the former (Smiths) and I'm probably gonna take the opportunity to try to learn to bake bread myself, finally.

Also yeah already seeing a lot of folks like "it's no trouble for me drive an extra two minutes," but as A Poor, the stores I'm now shopping at are an extra twenty minutes of walk on top of the twenty it already took to get to the Superstore. It's not great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I mean yeah if you have no options nobody should shame you but I have a costco next door to the shoppers drug mart so I know which place I want to get my $1000 per month drugs from

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mr. Mercury posted:

In a pinch, you can also just say " 'sup jerks"

Stay fresh, cheese bags!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mederlock posted:

Hell even T&T is owned by Loblaws

Noooooooooooooo

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
*better-than-you voice*:

I've been shopping almost exclusively at a locally owned grocers for the last twenty years. :smug:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean yeah if you have no options nobody should shame you

It's less about shame and more about acknowledging the kind of solution that relies on placing further difficulty on the kind of people that suffer from the problem the most.

A person I know lives close to the Superstore specifically because it's the most convenient option for them for both grocery and pharmacy that involves the fewest bus trips (she's in a wheelchair). She's participating in the boycott. While I admire her commitment, I can't help but feel a little bit bitter when people talk about how easy it is to just drive somewhere else.

I don't know - I feel like a lot of my political existence is just alternating between politely and sardonically reminding people that poor people exist.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bleck posted:

I can't help but feel a little bit bitter when people talk about how easy it is to just drive somewhere else.

I'm just going to say you're a bit silly to feel bitter. "It's easy to drive somewhere else" applies to a decent amount of the target demographic of the people asking others to help with a boycott.

I really don't think the intent is to ignore poor people who lack options, as numerous times i've seen people talk about the boycott it's presented alongside "can't boycott? participate by doing the following instead:"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"The company also owns the Asian-focused T&T Supermarket, Zehrs, Valu-Mart, Provigo, No Name, Your Independent Grocer, City Market, Fortinos, Wholesale Club, Maxi, Extra Foods and Dominion Stores in Newfoundland and Labrador."

I love how a giant monopoly owns a chain called "your independent grocer". I guess names don't legally have to be truthful.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I really don't think the intent is to ignore poor people who lack options, as numerous times i've seen people talk about the boycott it's presented alongside "can't boycott? participate by doing the following instead:"

I haven't seen anything like this, if you could share it so I can also spread it around I would appreciate it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bleck posted:

I haven't seen anything like this, if you could share it so I can also spread it around I would appreciate it.

This is what I saw on reddit earlier today:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

I can't help but feel a little bit bitter

No, you’re kidding

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, you’re kidding

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

If Trudeau nationalized Loblaws I wouldn't think twice about pulling that lever for the red team

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Mr. Mercury posted:

If Trudeau nationalized Loblaws I wouldn't think twice about pulling that lever for the red team

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean yeah if you have no options nobody should shame you but I have a costco next door to the shoppers drug mart so I know which place I want to get my $1000 per month drugs from
Costco apparently pays their employees better and has better benefits than any other large food retailer. Does this mean that buying their hot dogs counts as praxis?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Albino Squirrel posted:

Costco apparently pays their employees better and has better benefits than any other large food retailer. Does this mean that buying their hot dogs counts as praxis?

Yes.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Costco is cool and good and people can make a living working there as a career rather than a job.

A reminder that before vulture capitalists tore it to pieces, Sears was a lifetime gig for some people. They even paid good pensions.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bleck posted:

It's less about shame and more about acknowledging the kind of solution that relies on placing further difficulty on the kind of people that suffer from the problem the most.

A person I know lives close to the Superstore specifically because it's the most convenient option for them for both grocery and pharmacy that involves the fewest bus trips (she's in a wheelchair). She's participating in the boycott. While I admire her commitment, I can't help but feel a little bit bitter when people talk about how easy it is to just drive somewhere else.

I don't know - I feel like a lot of my political existence is just alternating between politely and sardonically reminding people that poor people exist.

I wouldn't assume a slogan tailored specifically at drivers is deliberately ignoring those who aren't one

Bleck what-abouting a simple clear statement, smh I would have thought you of all canpol would be more careful

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Blood Boils posted:

Bleck what-abouting

"What-abouting" is a fake fallacy.

Kraftwerk posted:

A reminder that before vulture capitalists tore it to pieces, Sears was a lifetime gig for some people. They even paid good pensions.

When Sears went under the Best Buy I worked at hired the local Sears' GM as the new GM, and the first thing she did was find reasons to fire me and all of the other technicians in the Geek Squad that had actual knowhow but weren't so good at selling their crappy subscription service. I know it's not right but I mentally blame Sears for this

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Mr. Mercury posted:

I think the best we can do is nationalize losses and privatize profits. Is that acceptable?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I have zero faith this boycott will do anything. Weston has a monopoly on food distribution and when people realize just how inconvenient it is not to shop at his stores they’ll come crawling back and they’ll pay another 5-10% for what’s on offer.

That said I still hope it works out. We definitely need to stick it to him.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

We definitely need to stick it to him.

It only takes one pike.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

Actually yes, yes it does

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kraftwerk posted:

I have zero faith this boycott will do anything. Weston has a monopoly on food distribution and when people realize just how inconvenient it is not to shop at his stores they’ll come crawling back and they’ll pay another 5-10% for what’s on offer.

Is Loblaws a much more dominant force out east? Here in Alberta it would be trivial to avoid, you just go buy groceries at the Kodos chain (Empire; Sobeys, Safeway, etc.), or Costco.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, it's much worse in Ontario than it was in BC.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Here in the GTA you have Metro or Loblaws brands, and if you live in Toronto proper, maybe a mom and pop grocer that has somehow survived the last two decades and will either disappear when the people who started it die or be subsumed into one of those two. Also, Rabba, which is neither cheaper nor better than any other option, but exists.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PittTheElder posted:

Is Loblaws a much more dominant force out east? Here in Alberta it would be trivial to avoid, you just go buy groceries at the Kodos chain (Empire; Sobeys, Safeway, etc.), or Costco.

Or SaveOnFoods, from the other large grocery group. Or Co-Op. In fact, I’d have to go out of my way to find a Loblaws-affiliated store.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Here in the GTA you have Metro or Loblaws brands, and if you live in Toronto proper, maybe a mom and pop grocer that has somehow survived the last two decades and will either disappear when the people who started it die or be subsumed into one of those two. Also, Rabba, which is neither cheaper nor better than any other option, but exists.

Hey now, we also have the third leg of the triopoly, Sobeys/Freshco.

e: part of the not at all ominously named Empire Company

Glimpse fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 3, 2024

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
what happens when your 15-minute city's amenities fall out of favour?!?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
They get a badass pirate with a giant white moustache to come to the middle of your city, break it apart, and turn it into suburbs connected by highways. (I'm so sorry)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

It’s really bad here. And loblaws rules the most convenient places. Basically in my immediate vicinity, everything is a loblaws brand. I have a superstore, a no frills, Fortinos and T&T.

There is Longos a block away from me but they are even more expensive than Loblaw stores. The Longo brothers don’t play.

If I drive farther out I have Costco, Coppas (formerly highland farms, formerly Knob Hill farms before that).

Any of you GTA people remember Knob hill farms? They were the ultimate free laundry hamper supplier of the GTA.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There's Farm Boy here and there but they're owned by Sobeys

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

There's... A ton of Chinese chain brands (Bestco) and ethnic supermarkets in general. I don't know what part of the GTA this is about but it's not true in North Etobicoke

Now SOUTH Etobicoke is where I guess things are bad. Anywhere without new immigrants is probably loblawland

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 3, 2024

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Isentropy posted:

There's... A ton of Chinese chain brands (Bestco) and ethnic supermarkets in general. I don't know what part of the GTA this is about but it's not true in North Etobicoke. However it would be easy to miss fortinos and no frills are both in fact Sobeys brand

You mean Loblaws - Fortinos and No Frills are both Loblaws, not Sobeys.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
In my part of Montréal there are just IGAs around, and I didn't realize until this conversation that they're a Sobeys joint in this province.

I think the nearest Loblaws-owned place is the third-closest pharmacy, to get to an actual grocery store of theirs I'd need to take transit instead of walking.
Not sure one of their stores has ever been the most convenient option in my near twenty years of living here in various neighbourhoods.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Gully Foyle posted:

You mean Loblaws - Fortinos and No Frills are both Loblaws, not Sobeys.

Correct, I screwed up in the post

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Isentropy posted:

There's... A ton of Chinese chain brands (Bestco) and ethnic supermarkets in general. I don't know what part of the GTA this is about but it's not true in North Etobicoke

Now SOUTH Etobicoke is where I guess things are bad. Anywhere without new immigrants is probably loblawland

Who owns Oceans?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

McGavin posted:

Yeah, it's much worse in Ontario than it was in BC.

Tbh BC is so much in the iron grip of Pattison Foods that if we had more Loblaws it would actually increase competition substantially (except that it doesn't seem to matter).

Standing at Main and Broadway in Vancouver and the nearest groceries are Nestors and Buy Low Foods, both Pattison. A few blocks south is Save on Foods, also Pattison. A few blocks north at Olympic Village is the Urban Fare, also Pattison. You need to go all the way to Commercial Drive to find non-Pattison with Safeway and in the other direction to Cambie, where there's a No Frills (Loblaws), Whole Foods (Amazon) and Save on (Pattison).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My best alternative is Whole Foods, which is better albeit not necessarily cheaper. Sticking it to Galen Weston Jr by buying Bezos instead feels a little hollow, though.