Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
More shows should take from the CW and have a Lena Luthor type character who's not evil, but everyone expects them to be. Lena owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

More shows should take from the CW and have a Lena Luthor type character who's not evil, but everyone expects them to be. Lena owned.

Yeah Lena being The One Good Luthor was very cool.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You always have the Earth 3 counterpart, Alexander Luthor, who was always a good guy. Which is why calling him Alex in MAWS always felt like kind of a feint.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

You always have the Earth 3 counterpart, Alexander Luthor, who was always a good guy. Which is why calling him Alex in MAWS always felt like kind of a feint.

I mean, that is technically Lex’s full name in all continuities (variants of him have also worked with Ivo though unlike MAWS Lex was usually the one in charge) Season 2 is just making the connection explicit

In any case, MAWS impressed me the first time around so I’m looking forward to more (and that there are further seasons where this came from)

Now if only we could get a release date/trailer for Caped Crusader

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 1, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mixed up my Ivos and Lex being Dr Robotnik's lab assistant just works. Pretty sure that's just Snively actually.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785710076730175912

Kinda dig the artstyle

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Reminds me of the peanuts movie in a good way

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Let's just hope the showrunner knows how to tell a story this time, as opposed to Butch's initial thing of "I'm running out of ideas, I'll have to make up a bunch of new characters because I can't think of interesting scenarios to put the existing ones in..."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, Butch Hartman has nothing to do with this reboot right?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The new art style has some weird lighting that makes it harder to parse what the facial expressions are in quick cuts or actions.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really do not like that artstyle. It looks off.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I've actually never liked Butch Hartman's comedy writing all that much so I'm actually really curious what a FOP show looks like without him involved.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, Butch Hartman has nothing to do with this reboot right?

He does not as far as I can tell.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Occasionally dipping into old X-Men's, basically at random, and there's some wild stuff here. Randomly checked into an episode featuring someone who's basically Storm's ex-wife.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Occasionally dipping into old X-Men's, basically at random, and there's some wild stuff here. Randomly checked into an episode featuring someone who's basically Storm's ex-wife.

That was the original intent in the comics but the Marvel EiC of the time said no to the gays.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

readingatwork posted:

I've actually never liked Butch Hartman's comedy writing all that much so I'm actually really curious what a FOP show looks like without him involved.

The bit in the Tom Sawyer episode that goes

quote:

Timmy: I'll give you this magic wand if you can beat me in a frowning contest.

Tom: Ha! I'm from Missouri. Frowning's the state sport!
Is genuinely hilarious and makes me laugh even to this day.

Everything else though is mostly "men wearing dresses" and "horrific levels of racism." Like, holy poo poo. Butch really wants you to know that foreign people talk funny.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

He does not as far as I can tell.

Thank god (though there were aspects of Danny Phantom that I kind of liked admittedly)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kay Kessler posted:

The bit in the Tom Sawyer episode that goes

Like they say in Missouri, I AIN'T GOIN' BACK TO MISSOURI

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like that dude with the never-ending hat. It's a a great gag when you go to an ultra-wide shot and that bitch still goin'.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Doug Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, that fucker!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fairly OddParents was good fun in its day, but I feel like revisiting it as an adult, it's one of those shows that didn't have any hidden extra depth. Plots often struggled to keep going with the infinite possibility of magic, they usually had to rely on characters being stupid. Characterization was pretty flat, which was great for gags, but it undercut the times when the show wanted to get sentimental.

Which means there's not really much to worry about the new show not getting about the original, but also the show kept going on and on long after its peak and ground down all the possible plots, so I'm not sure the new show will manage to stay fresh. The overall fact that the show is another rehashing of an old Nickelodeon property instead of biting the bullet and getting experimental again isn't really encouraging.

Do like the look of that hair though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the show was just a very basic message of "You can't solve interpersonal problems by getting whatever you want"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Seeing that FOP trailer made me think about how weird it is that one of the biggest side characters, Jorgen Von Strangle, has become increasingly obscure. Like, everything about him is an Arnold Schwarzenegger joke/reference and it was an easy to get back in the 90s/early 2000s when Schwarzenegger was a megastar all over the place in action movies and in other genres too. Nowadays Arnold's still working, but not nearly as famous as he used to be (and obviously not as literally huge as he was then, I uh... don't want to see him shirtless these days that's for sure). I guess a true reboot of the show would have the big huge fairy modeled after... the Rock I guess?

Any kids watching this new version of the show (or hell arguably the later seasons of the original as it went longer and longer) are gonna watch Terminator one day on Netflix and go "hey that guy sounds like Jorgen Von Strangle" rather than the other way around.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Austrian strongman arnold-type is now a cartoon archetype devoid of context.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
First issue of Dynamite's new Space Ghost comic is out and it's pretty good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Terminator's in so much stuff even the kids probably have an idea. But yeah, it's just the same old pop culture cycle, like Looney Tunes having references and impressions of celebrities who are now in turn forgotten.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think the show was just a very basic message of "You can't solve interpersonal problems by getting whatever you want"

I still love the bit where Timmy is warned that a genie's wishes, unlike a fairy's, not having any rules means the genie can twist them however he wants to bite him in the butt, and responds that the fairy's wishes always manage to bite him in the butt anyway.

I think there's some good bits but it gets loving buried under a lot of chaff, and I think it was always wildly uneven at the best of times.

Danny Phantom on the other hand seems like it was ahead of its time but didn't really get to reach its full potential. I suppose they were mostly ripping off Spider-man, but so did Batman Beyond and that worked great. Also surprised they never got around to a Ghostbusters crossover.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Danny Phantom was good but they really needed to dial back on how much they were blatantly stealing from Ditko era Spider-Man

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The problem is that Butch's style is not what I would call friendly for someone who wants to make dynamic, action-oriented animation that has any kind of weight. The voice direction and pacing was not too much different from Fairly OddParents, yet aiming to be more regardless of its ability to write or present in the style appropriate for it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also in other news MeTV and WBD are collaborating to launch a new free to air network focused entirely on animation; MeTV Toons, supposed to launch in late June

This apparently came as a result of MeTV finding great success with their currently existing animation block

Just bought a Digital Antenna for my TV and am in one of the launch markets for the channel so I'll have to report on what it's like when it launches

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It looks like the animation they have is old warner bros cartoons and flintstones and such.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Neeksy posted:

It looks like the animation they have is old warner bros cartoons and flintstones and such.

Sounds like early Cartoon Network.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Also in other news MeTV and WBD are collaborating to launch a new free to air network focused entirely on animation; MeTV Toons, supposed to launch in late June

This apparently came as a result of MeTV finding great success with their currently existing animation block

Just bought a Digital Antenna for my TV and am in one of the launch markets for the channel so I'll have to report on what it's like when it launches

Where’s my Svengoolie channel?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

drrockso20 posted:

Danny Phantom was good but they really needed to dial back on how much they were blatantly stealing from Ditko era Spider-Man

that was the best part!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

At least Butch was cribbing from good stuff, although if he wanted to up his game he really should have gone for the Romita Sr. stuff.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/ToonHive/status/1785716178343596163

drrockso20 posted:

He doesn't really steal that much more than most teen superheroes do by default (and to be honest, the addition of friend characters who can empathize with and understand the main character really throws off the classic dynamic). But I think that where Danny Phantom really falls apart is later on when there aren't really obvious building blocks for a budding hero, so the show gets really confused on how much Danny has matured, and there didn't really seem to be a plan for what all the ghost zone lore was building up to. All the bigger plot ideas had really stalled.

Should've stuck with the name Inviso-Bill. That was a great gag.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh this is still a thing, wonder if it’ll be as blatant fetish fuel as it was before

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://twitter.com/ToonHive/status/1785716178343596163

He doesn't really steal that much more than most teen superheroes do by default (and to be honest, the addition of friend characters who can empathize with and understand the main character really throws off the classic dynamic). But I think that where Danny Phantom really falls apart is later on when there aren't really obvious building blocks for a budding hero, so the show gets really confused on how much Danny has matured, and there didn't really seem to be a plan for what all the ghost zone lore was building up to. All the bigger plot ideas had really stalled.

Should've stuck with the name Inviso-Bill. That was a great gag.

I'm very pleasantly surprised at how the new totally spies looks. It's a very cute art style that still evokes the original, and at least in the intro it moves nicely.

Season 3 of Danny Phantom is a quality nosedive, supposedly in large part because Butch got more creative control (he writes more episodes at the very least) and some of the key staff left, but the other large part is what you've mentioned. Season 2 ends with Danny pretty much finishing his arc of becoming a hero.
-In the third tv movie, Reality Trip, he's able to decisively get his parents' approval despite being half ghost. Since Vlad's introduction he could count on it, used that trust to "beat" Vlad the first time, but he always doubted to some degree, but then he sees first hand just how much they would still love and support him, so that's a storyline gone full circle.
-In the last episode of the season, the one with Dani the clone, Danny just straight up beats Vlad physically. Vlad sees the Ghost Wail from the second movie first hand, a power he never had, and it knocks him down. Vlad might've been able to turn things around but Danny's friends show up to run him over and put on the shock belt, but still, it's Danny overpowering the foe that was first introduced as being untouchable.

Danny is shown as overconfident in that season 2 finale and season 3 just plays with that the whole way through since there's no consistent idea anymore of where Danny should go next. Ghost lore also goes down the drain because Danny has bested pretty conclusively all the interesting ghosts, so they throw in some weird elementals to escalate.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Larryb posted:

Huh this is still a thing, wonder if it’ll be as blatant fetish fuel as it was before

If it isn’t, is it even Totally Spies anymore

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will admit having watched a few episodes out of curiosity the characters are kind of fun at least, though it’s still basically Fetishes: The Show (moreso than your average spy series I mean)

Do we know if the original English cast is coming back for this?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It was the one with all the feet, right?