Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

a tesla would be cool if it werent for all the extraneous bullshit

but thats every car

eventually some tuner's going to figure out how to reflash/jailbreak the whole car, right? is that even possible?

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cactus Ghost posted:

but thats every car

Yeah that was my conclusion as well - if Tesla took their current powertrain but wrapped it in the feel of a 1980s or 1990s Toyota with a similar price tag, that'd be perfect.

But no, we get sci-fi bullshit.

Cactus Ghost posted:

eventually some tuner's going to figure out how to reflash/jailbreak the whole car, right? is that even possible?

Its already been done, effectively.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, it's been done to a point, but when tesla finds out that you're doing it they remotely disable a whole pile of your car's features

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, it's been done to a point, but when tesla finds out that you're doing it they remotely disable a whole pile of your car's features

Someone will likely figure out a way to disable the transciever and how to turn those back on. Their firmware is junk and insecure, so its just a matter of time.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Sagebrush posted:

so what's the downside

or is it like, they put your poo poo in limp mode

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Cactus Ghost posted:

or is it like, they put your poo poo in limp mode

The target demographic is already well versed in having their poo poo in limp mode.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nitrox posted:

In my state, insurance cancellation triggers an automatic report to the DOT, who in turn, will cancel registration if updated insurance info is not provided within a short timeframe.

drat that's good, does your state have a low rate of uninsured drivers due to this?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
As another motorist on the road, I'm not sure some jailbroken poo poo is better or worse than the factory firmware.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

The target demographic is already well versed in having their poo poo in limp mode.

:drat:
:flaccid:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is just about everything out there to jailbreak and modify your Tesla. The only downside is that you're cut off from the Tesla network, which is kind of the point. You can roll back to whatever update you liked best, use customer settings/parameters and mix and match hardware. Rich Rebuilds and other people on YouTube are covering these developments in real time, last I checked.

There is also software that will enable older versions of FSD and free supercharger support. I think the later is done by copy/pasting authentication from an existing car, not sure.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

drat that's good, does your state have a low rate of uninsured drivers due to this?

I routinely see cars running without any metal or temporary plates that *clearly* aren't a recent purchase. Idk how they do it, must be nice to just exist in a state where you're not worried about _anything_.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7nTiqKFzrI

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Nitrox posted:

There is just about everything out there to jailbreak and modify your Tesla. The only downside is that you're cut off from the Tesla network, which is kind of the point. You can roll back to whatever update you liked best, use customer settings/parameters and mix and match hardware. Rich Rebuilds and other people on YouTube are covering these developments in real time, last I checked.

There is also software that will enable older versions of FSD and free supercharger support. I think the later is done by copy/pasting authentication from an existing car, not sure.

lol good

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

NoWake posted:

I routinely see cars running without any metal or temporary plates that *clearly* aren't a recent purchase. Idk how they do it, must be nice to just exist in a state where you're not worried about _anything_.
Believe that is the state of being a white male.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cactus Ghost posted:

but thats every car

Just inject saline into the Tesla. It's pretty safe.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Crimes are stored in the ball joints

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Since I’m driving a loaner Mercedes C-class I’m just gonna bang this drum again that capacitive steering wheel controls can suck a bag of dicks large enough to collapse into a black hole.

My favorite thing is on both sides of the steering wheel there is are two visually identical controls, consisting of a back button, capacitive directional, and home button. Does each one control something different? You bet your rear end they do. Would you know what they do without loving around with them? gently caress no.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

There might be a way around insurance issues if you can somehow prove you've permanently disabled or removed FSD completely from the hard drive but then Tesla would have to do that so lol

I can foresee a fuckton of Tesla owners clamoring to get that poo poo off my hard drive asap :v:
Of course tesla would do it. Just need to pay the 5000 dollar unsubscribe fee

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Since I’m driving a loaner Mercedes C-class I’m just gonna bang this drum again that capacitive steering wheel controls can suck a bag of dicks large enough to collapse into a black hole.

My favorite thing is on both sides of the steering wheel there is are two visually identical controls, consisting of a back button, capacitive directional, and home button. Does each one control something different? You bet your rear end they do. Would you know what they do without loving around with them? gently caress no.

And it's not like your hands are constantly on the steering wheel or anything, where there is a strong possibility of accidental touch.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
While I was waiting for my car to get looked at I was wandering around the showroom and all the new Mercedes have these steering wheels. One of the salesman came over joking about me wanting to buy one and I said I wouldn’t buy any of them if for no other reason than the steering wheel controls.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just inject saline into the Tesla. It's pretty safe.

It's a niche kink iirc. How would I do it though? Can I inject saline through the charge port?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

loving VW does this too, the main killer of why I won't buy a Golf R even though I kinda want one is capacitative button trash. All the infotainment and the steering wheel buttons are touch sensitive bullshit that you can't discern by feel. Your eyes should be on the road not loving about with trying to find why your stereo just went to max volume when you were trying to adjust the climate controls.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 2, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Engineers spending years painstakingly studying industry best practices and UX principles and decades of painfully learned real-world lessons, and the car companies hire them and set them to work designing new break room kiosks while the CEOs put their idiot nephews in charge of ~dIsRuPtInG~

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
capacitive steering wheel controls are just one of those ideas that I cannot imagine r&d folks not laughing out of testing

but we don't live in a good world like that

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

orange juche posted:

loving VW does this too, the main killer of why I won't buy a Golf R even though I kinda want one is capacitative button trash. All the infotainment and the steering wheel buttons are touch sensitive bullshit that you can't discern by feel. Your eyes should be on the road not loving about with trying to find why your stereo just went to max volume when you were trying to adjust the climate controls.

When I got my ID.4 last March, I absolutely hated using those steering wheel buttons because I fat finger the wrong part trying to use it by feel. I've now gotten to the point where I've developed the muscle memory of know where precisely to touch but only because I just put up with it.

One of the most infuriating flubs is trying to adjust the cruise control speed but accidentally hit the following distance button which causes the speed controls buttons to adjust the following distance instead (which I usually keep to the minimum distance setting) and then having to wait for the following distance prompt to time out or disengage and reengage the cruise control if I wanted to go back to change the set speed.

Another annoying thing is that the volume control is oriented horizontally while the music controls is oriented vertically. Regardless of orientation preferences, the positioning of the buttons are such that the buttons closest to the center of the steering wheel cannot be reached without breaking your grip on the steering wheel which is not ideal and adds another hurdle trying to develop muscle memory. Especially because I usually listen to FM radio and tend to adjust my volume more often than seeking stations.

Climate controls I only adjust while stopped or with lane-keep assist enabled because even turning on the heated seats requires multiple presses and I haven't developed the muscle memory to do any of it by feel yet and that assuming I ever will. It also doesn't help that the infortaiment system tends to have just the slightest bit of lag when interacting with it so timing button press sequences is a stretch.

For all my griping, the ID.4 is at least practical, drives well, has physical stalks, and a physical drive selector that is fairly intuitive and not in the way. Also nice that I haven't had any major issues with car. That said, I'm glad VW is going back to physical buttons eventually.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I imagine that the controls people are sitting in a lab trying their buttons not actually driving a car. The test drivers aren't turning on the stereo. The third group saying this sucks are told 2 out of 3 groups say it's good.

The bean counters nod sagely and note how many less buttons have to be made.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Edward IV posted:

One of the most infuriating flubs is trying to adjust the cruise control speed but accidentally hit the following distance button which causes the speed controls buttons to adjust the following distance instead (which I usually keep to the minimum distance setting) and then having to wait for the following distance prompt to time out or disengage and reengage the cruise control if I wanted to go back to change the set speed.

Another annoying thing is that the volume control is oriented horizontally while the music controls is oriented vertically. Regardless of orientation preferences, the positioning of the buttons are such that the buttons closest to the center of the steering wheel cannot be reached without breaking your grip on the steering wheel which is not ideal and adds another hurdle trying to develop muscle memory. Especially because I usually listen to FM radio and tend to adjust my volume more often than seeking stations.

Climate controls I only adjust while stopped or with lane-keep assist enabled because even turning on the heated seats requires multiple presses and I haven't developed the muscle memory to do any of it by feel yet and that assuming I ever will. It also doesn't help that the infortaiment system tends to have just the slightest bit of lag when interacting with it so timing button press sequences is a stretch.

this is giving me a panic attack

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Didn’t VW finally admit that capacitive touch buttons are terrible and will be removing them in the next gen of cars? Doesn’t fix the current gen though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Edward IV posted:

Another annoying thing is that the volume control is oriented horizontally while the music controls is oriented vertically.

I've had this car for five years and still hit the source rocker instead of volume like 40% of the time

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

In annoying car stuff, hopped in the car today, started it and got a Big Red Warning stating "Service Charging System Soon" on my heads up display. No CEL or anything, and the battery is sitting at 14v same as usual, so I have no loving idea what's up there, other than maybe the car is trying to get me to fork money over to the dealer for something.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Data Graham posted:

Engineers spending years painstakingly studying industry best practices and UX principles and decades of painfully learned real-world lessons, and the car companies hire them and set them to work designing new break room kiosks while the CEOs put their idiot nephews in charge of ~dIsRuPtInG~

One of my friends was UI/UX for JLR until 2018 and so many times he talked about how he was hired for his particular expertise and yet head honchos in meetings and testing would override his logical choices for bullshit ones.

In related news I know that JLR are getting some training materials produced for them to try and combat 'culture of execs not knowing poo poo' (I'm paraphrasing there obviously) among other things. :v:

Anyway I came here to post a video of a guy testing the new finger chopper update on the Cybertruck but the twitter timeline updated and now I can't find it again 😢

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One of my friends was UI/UX for JLR until 2018 and so many times he talked about how he was hired for his particular expertise and yet head honchos in meetings and testing would override his logical choices for bullshit ones.

In related news I know that JLR are getting some training materials produced for them to try and combat 'culture of execs not knowing poo poo' (I'm paraphrasing there obviously) among other things. :v:

Anyway I came here to post a video of a guy testing the new finger chopper update on the Cybertruck but the twitter timeline updated and now I can't find it again 😢

Hopefully the training materials have easy to understand words and colorful pictures, wouldn't want them to strain too hard.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

god it is so loving silicon valley to have twenty grand in cameras and computers to sense every possible thing but have the trunk be dumber than a fuckin garage door. garage door hits resistance, it stops and reverses. something breaks the IR beam at the bottom, it stops and reverses. silicon valley goobermobile? cuts your fuckin finger off lmao

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There are table saws, a product designed almost exclusively for dismembering truckstop lot prostitutes sensible basement Michelob-fueled woodworking projects, that will refuse to cut your fingat off if they hit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DjyC9f8LPU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

There are table saws, a product designed almost exclusively for dismembering truckstop lot prostitutes sensible basement Michelob-fueled woodworking projects, that will refuse to cut your fingat off if they hit it.

So by that measure, is the CYBERTRUKK better or worse? What if you own a business that specializes in the removal of fingers? What if you're a fixer for an organized crime boss and you have to convince someone of your boss's point of view?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I go you fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOs-s8e181Q

orange juche posted:

In annoying car stuff, hopped in the car today, started it and got a Big Red Warning stating "Service Charging System Soon" on my heads up display. No CEL or anything, and the battery is sitting at 14v same as usual, so I have no loving idea what's up there, other than maybe the car is trying to get me to fork money over to the dealer for something.

Ah yes, I forgot about the part where I was driving home in this Mercedes using cruise control and lane keeping assist and a warning came on saying the LKA was disabled due to a tire pressure issue. So after spending way too long trying to get the TPMS display to come up because every loving thing is accessed through a touchscreen and menus, why yes there is a warning about the two front tires that are displaying a PSI that falls squarely where it belongs according to the door card, and never went down the entire trip :shrug: Not sure what to do with this information, do I put more, air them down?.

I'm the first person driving this loaner, it's got 68 miles on it, good stuff Mercedes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

🫡

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dissss posted:

I've had this car for five years and still hit the source rocker instead of volume like 40% of the time

Looking at the image on my phone far away: looks fine to control volume.

Taking a closer look and seeing it's for the source: WTF???

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

see? we could have single-use explosive-actuated safety features. join the 21st century, tesla

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
My video about how safe the trunk edges are is raising a lot of questions about how safe are the trunk edges

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Good to know my penith is safe if I slam it in the Cybertruck frunk because the panel gaps are so large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cactus Ghost posted:

see? we could have single-use explosive-actuated safety features. join the 21st century, tesla

Sucks so much that sawstop managed to use a patent to stop Bosch's version which doesn't have that problem