Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Souboutei Must Be Destroyed: 59 (+1)
Souboutei Must NOT Be Destroyed: 1 (+1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"By the power of Buddha! Die, you fuckers!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dude's not going to escape Samsara that way

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Samsara Must Be Destroyed

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The Self must be destroyed?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

If you meet Souboutei on the road, you must destroy it

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Paper Tiger posted:

If you meet Souboutei on the road, you must destroy it

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

They really should call Gunbuster on this dang souboutei

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

As the Buddha once said, "nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded, except this glock with which I am going to shoot you"

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

A monk asked, "Does a haunted boarding house have a Buddha-nature or not?"

The master said, "Not [Mu]!"

The monk said, "Above to all the Buddhas, below to the crawling bugs, all have Buddha-nature. Why is it that the haunted boarding house has not?"

The master said, "Because it has the nature of karmic delusions".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

As the Buddha once said, "nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded, except this glock with which I am going to shoot you"

Are glocks monk weapons? And by that I mean do they use my dexterity for attack and damage and can I make a bonus action unarmed attack after firing it?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 48: Beauty Sweat

Victory feast!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

Different Country Diary

Ada just going full on Asa big mouth mode here is hilarious. And Makio just ditching to go get milk of all things. I wonder if the "can't drink that much milk as an adult" thing is about the higher incidence of lactose intolerance over there.

Osmosisch has a new favorite as of 09:59 on May 3, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Posted these in the short-lived GBS Spoonerism thread, but they're kind of like comics, so I'll drop them here too. Hurray for Spoonerisms!!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kit Walker posted:

Different Country Diary

This is so good, just a idiot teen realising that all the adults in her life have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

Osmosisch posted:

I wonder if the "can't drink that much milk as an adult" thing is about the higher incidence of lactose intolerance over there.

I thought they were making a joke about getting drunk. "Unmixed" like straight spirits, "can't drink that much any more" etc.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is so good, just a idiot teen realising that all the adults in her life have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

As an Adult myself now, this was such an eye opening revelation as a mid 20s shithead, that there is no point where you switch over to "Adult Mode".

And I really enjoy Different Country Diary more than I thought I would.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Helios Grime posted:

As an Adult myself now, this was such an eye opening revelation as a mid 20s shithead, that there is no point where you switch over to "Adult Mode".

I wasn't sure about it at first either but it has been consistently excellent after the first few chapters. That panel a few updates ago with Asa crying felt particularly moving, given the slow-burn character development.

Reading this thread is always a highlight of my day :allears:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

drat horror queefs posted:

Reading this thread is always a highlight of my day :allears:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm sorry to hear that :smith:

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

I thought they were making a joke about getting drunk. "Unmixed" like straight spirits, "can't drink that much any more" etc.

Adult lactose tolerance is somewhat rare in populations without a lot of European descent, something like 90+% of Japanese adults are lactose intolerant to some degree. They're just surprised that the kid straight up drank a liter of milk that they would normally only be mixing in coffee or whatever.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

i read it more like, she's realizing that adults are real people with feelings and thoughts and motivations, not just impenetrable stoic sources of authority

Helios Grime posted:

and, same. i skimmed it at first, then started skipping since it looked like it was going to be a boring/simple slice of life type story, but the art kept drawing me in and i finally went back and read it properly like a week ago and it's really more than it appeared to be

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Asa's "what the gently caress is up with these people" faces are always delightful.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I'm reading Different Country Diary, but I don't have anything interesting to say about it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Fine, I'll go back and read different country diary. Jeez.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I won't.
Somebody has to resist the allure of 'slice of life' manga and I have no problem being first.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
In today's chapter, the pressure to read a popular manga leads By popular demand to consider their values in the context of online culture. Then they cook an absurdly well-illustrated meal.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I enjoy Asa's ability to make adults take mild psychic damage by just directly asking them questions. And yeah you do get the sense that her mom was kind of an impenetrable authority figure so her dealing with more typical adults casually is opening her mind up to the reality of adulthood. It's neat

Different Country Diary

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 17:45 on May 4, 2024

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

In today's chapter, the pressure to read a popular manga leads By popular demand to consider their values in the context of online culture. Then they cook an absurdly well-illustrated meal.

I could really go for a well illustrated meal myself. Preferably pancakes with fresh fruit

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Can also confirm that (some) kids go nuts for receiving business cards here. I took my class of fifth graders on a field trip to the seat of local government and we had a real neat time, seeing the council room where they debate and vote on stuff, got to use their systems to ask questions like in a real debate. Fun stuff.

At the end, one of my girls just straight up asked our guide (who was the chief clerk, which was apparently like royalty to them) for his business card and when she got one, the rest of them flipped out and started trying to line up to get one too. I thought it was great and was willing to let it happen, but my Japanese co-teacher was scandalised and we had to stop them.

Didn't stop the first girl somehow also getting the chief clerk to autograph his business card as well. It was probably the most thrilled and excited I saw her in two years of being her teacher. On the bus back to school, kids kept begging her to see and hold it and she was high as a kite on the whole experience for the rest of the day.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I'd like to think some kids would go that bananas for business cards even in places that don't make nearly as big a deal of them as Japan

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Little kids checking out business cards like Paul Allen

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (May 12, 1946)

Work is going to be very this month and I'm trying to carve out some time to prepare a few personal projects, so I'm going to take a break from posting daily comics. Hopefully just for a week, depending on how things go.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Little kids checking out business cards like Paul Allen

lol i just remembered there was a short while in like 2005–06 when people i talked to in bars would hand me their business card. which i mean could be american psycho related, but they didnt do it in 2000–04. so weird.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How you doin' , my name's Roger "Fly" Barr. here for all your wino needs!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Owl at Home posted:

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (May 12, 1946)

lmao, Aleta owns. I’m glad she’s as much of a maniac as Val

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

By popular demand posted:

How you doin' , my name's Roger "Fly" Barr. here for all your wino needs!

one guy was like a airplane mechanic or something

maybe they were all part of some weird prank network

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

man aren't those retainers of Aleta still looking for her? they gonna start a war with Camelot?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 76: Smells Like Child Spirit

!!

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 39: The Smoke, the Crystal and the Courier

Her hat has a notch for her broomstick, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tokenbrownguy posted:

man aren't those retainers of Aleta still looking for her? they gonna start a war with Camelot?

id like to see them try, arthurs here now.