Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

not the collapse of american resolve...no... please...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009
ukraine defense against genocidal, full scale unprovoked invasion that would topple democracy and lead to Poland and the baltics getting invaded: $61 billion dollars

googles stock buyback plan for this year: $70 billion dollars

American resolve!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Even if it was all going to shells that were all headed to the front, it's hard for me to believe it'd make a difference at this point.

The ball is completely in Russia's court now. The question this summer is if they slowly continue this grind through the Donbas of village after village, or if there's a major offensive looming akin to the initial invasion.

the armchair analysts have been making a big deal about the fact the russians have used the word "offensive" so maybe they're going to start doing some major operations now that the ukrainian lines seem to be collapsing.

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-weapons-production-sergei-shoigu-ukraine-summer-offensive-1896077

quote:

"To maintain the required pace of the offensive and ensure the build-up of the combat strength of troop groups for further actions, it is necessary to increase the volume and quality of weapons and military equipment supplied to the troops," Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said, according to comments published by Moscow on Wednesday.

i wonder if the western war planners know this too and are planning to blame any possible big swings in territory on the china's "overwhelming supply" of russia's "military base"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have heard speculation that Xi warned Biden not to send Ukraine serious war fighting weapons, else China would start selling Russia real weapons too. I believe this rumor, why else would the US stop talking about the F16?

These two had a phone call in early Apr, before that they met in person in San Fran in Nov.

Edit, maybe the warming was against NATO troops entering the war, to make the great power involvement more parallel to the Korean war.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 08:06 on May 3, 2024

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/6680573?from=top_main_2

lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.ft.com/content/90d977e6-ea05-4e49-a725-09234eecd147

quote:

Europe is “sleep walking” into becoming dependent on Russian fertiliser, just as it did with gas, says one of the largest producers of crop nutrients.

Nitrogen fertilisers, which are important to plant growth, are made using natural gas and Russia is exporting more of it to Europe, replacing some of the gas banned by the EU, said Svein Tore Holsether, chief executive of Yara International, one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen-based mineral fertilisers.

was curious who yara international are so i went to the website https://www.yara.com/this-is-yara/our-history/

quote:

Our History
Since our founding in 1905 to solve the emerging famine in Europe, Yara has established a unique position as the industry’s only global crop nutrition company. Learn more about our impactful and impressive history below.

2022 - Now

2021 Began with the establishment of Yara Clean Ammonia and ended with securing funding from ENOVA SF to begin electrifying Yara’s Porsgrunn plant. This funding agreement concluded a year of milestones, as Yara officially embarked on the road to decarbonizing a fullscale ammonia plant and deliver on its strategic ambition of enabling the hydrogen economy.

love it when your history jumps forward 120 years after the founding. went to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yara_International

quote:

Yara International ASA is a Norwegian chemical company. It produces, distributes, and sells nitrogen-based mineral fertilizers and related industrial products. Its product line also includes phosphate and potash-based mineral fertilizers, as well as complex and specialty mineral fertilizer products.

lmfao norway again!?!? is there a pipeline of fertilizer from russia to europe that we should be watching

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have heard speculation that Xi warned Biden not to send Ukraine serious war fighting weapons, else China would start selling Russia real weapons too. I believe this rumor, why else would the US stop talking about the F16?

These two had a phone call in early Apr, before that they met in person in San Fran in Nov.

Did they? Seems more that overall interest waned after the summer offensive failed and the big brains are mostly thinking Israel now.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

maybe they're not talking about the f-16s cos they suck and they're all getting owned

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The clash over whether to commandeer Russia’s frozen assets
Confiscating hundreds of billions of foreign reserves could transform Ukraine’s war. But the US and Europe disagree on how far to go.

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 08:38 on May 3, 2024

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

they're going to do it and then freak the gently caress out when China does the same to them eventually over Taiwan

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Can't wait for the flamboyant changing of the guard faceoff videos.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s the leveraging the 3 billion per year from the extraordinary payments on the seized assets into something worthwhile that gets me

the recent reluctant ukraine aid bill at 60 billion would essentially be 20 years of war payments, russia is going to make ukraine ask for that principle money back at the end of the war, what on earth would happen to all those complicated Collateralised debt obligations (CDOs) in a couple or so years

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the merch https://nafo-ofan.org

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
So what ere they going to do with the money? Start shelling Russian positions with cash?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no one has made that clear

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

samogonka posted:

So what ere they going to do with the money? Start shelling Russian positions with cash?

they're going to buy villas in Miami and flats in London.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

If I was Ukraine with 60 billion, I would pay 60 thousand Russian troops a million dollars each to switch teams

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Egg Moron posted:

If I was Ukraine with 60 billion, I would pay 60 thousand Russian troops a million dollars each to switch teams

$60B, except pendantic_media_literacy.txt

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

OK, but turns out you don't have 60b, so what's the plan b

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Egg Moron posted:

They are mostly spreadsheet accounting for expiring weapons, you would have to pay each Russia a box of Himars wheel or a Bradley windshield.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

samogonka posted:

Start paying back the IMF

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

We're cooked.

You can't jam a steel container full of gunpowder landing in your general vicinity. Just make a hundred dumb shells instead of the one guided shell and saturate an area. bookmarking this for later to laugh at people with

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

Start paying back the IMF

An article was posted not too long ago about how a recent tranche of loans to Ukraine, totalling 800+ million, was mostly spent (700+ million) to service the previous loans.

The article also suggested that Ukraine may be unable to continue paying people pensions soon (though I don't think there was any source for that statement other than the journalist themself).

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dancer posted:

An article was posted not too long ago about how a recent tranche of loans to Ukraine, totalling 800+ million, was mostly spent (700+ million) to service the previous loans.

The article also suggested that Ukraine may be unable to continue paying people pensions soon (though I don't think there was any source for that statement other than the journalist themself).

well they’re not even paying for people who had their legs blown off so i can absolutely imagine they’re going to start embezzling the pension money before it’s too late

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1786335279764078645

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
You could argue that EU and US aid at this point is mostly there so Ukraine can pay back what it previously owed and keep its military in operation but little else. I do think the song and dance about Ukraine possibly defaulting was just a smoke screen, they can’t cut off Ukraine completely.

That said, they will just lay the burden on average people who are going to get jack from their government.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:18 on May 3, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1786367936770310238

I'm sure it doesn't mean anything that Western arms production facilities keep catching fire

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

You could argue that EU and US aid at this point is mostly there so Ukraine can pay make what it previously owed and keep its military in operation but little else. I do think the song and dance about Ukraine possibly defaulting was just a smoke screen, they can’t cut off Ukraine completely.

That said, they will just lay the burden on average people who are going to get jack from their government.

Goal #1 is to keep Ukraine from collapsing before the election.

They might have some delusions about a grand offensive in 2025 but behind closed doors I think at least some of the western ruling class sees the writing on the wall.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1786367936770310238

I'm sure it doesn't mean anything that Western arms production facilities keep catching fire

When team blue factories burn it is efficiency at work.

When monster of the week factories burn it is incompetence and brilliant sabotage and grassroots unrest.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Gradenko, do you know anything about the French memory of the Crimean War or how the French actually made out there? I can see British politicians referring to the Thin Red Line and Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaclava, but does France have the same sort of cultural memory Macron could be playing to?
Lol it's Napoleon III's wars, they were all poo poo and not particularly well remembered, you may has well hope the french people remember the war of the league of Cambray (1515!).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ardennes posted:

They don't really mention it (for good reason) but I know a lot of Russians were shocked when they went to the US and learned you had to pay out of the nose for health care, wages were already garbage for the cost of living, and you barely got any time off; no one informed them about the real world.

Europe of the 2020s isn't that much better either; the cost of living is pretty ridiculous and wages are depressed.

We have three Ukrainian refugees (afaict not Nazis) and they were absolutely incensed when I explained to them how American healthcare/health insurance work.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

We have three Ukrainian refugees (afaict not Nazis) and they were absolutely incensed when I explained to them how American healthcare/health insurance work.

how are people still this blissfully unaware of American healthcare. It's the design neoliberalism has for the entire world. It's important people know what the fuckers have planned for all of us.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Toplowtech posted:

Lol it's Napoleon III's wars, they were all poo poo and not particularly well remembered, you may has well hope the french people remember the war of the league of Cambray (1515!).

I mean that one was memorable for literally every major participant switching sides at some point in the war

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DeimosRising posted:

Did you mention the ambulance charge?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

how are people still this blissfully unaware of American healthcare. It's the design neoliberalism has for the entire world. It's important people know what the fuckers have planned for all of us.
they've been trying to make people find out

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
its not working

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

DeimosRising posted:

American propaganda is incredible. People outside the country have no idea what it's actually like here -it's honestly not that great!

dk2m
May 6, 2009
knew a guy from Germany that moved here for work; he didn’t know about healthcare here. he didn’t know how expensive housing was. he complained about the white collar working culture constantly, esp because a lot of his fellow computer toucher colleagues were expected to respond to emails and messages after hours

he moved back after a year, when I asked him why he came here at all, it was because the salary “looked” way bigger than what he could make in Germany. yeah that’s only because employers have insanely high cost structures to deal with since housing is expensive, healthcare is privatized, education is expensive, there’s no pensions so you have to save for retirement, all the random insurance adds up, etc

Europe is going to look like this at some point as the only way for number to go up is to make everyone go into debt for the finance and banking sector. welcome to democracy bitch

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yep. life in the occident is going to get very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zodium posted:

yep. life in the occident is going to get very worse.