Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Lockback posted:

Pay close attention to the ceilings. If some ceilings are recently painted despite the rooms not being recently painted they are covering water stains.

That sounds like there’s a story there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
welp we have bought a second house, now we have to renovate it and move in and then sell our old one

I've had four different people now look at the apparent foundation issues (cracks in the brickwork and moisture in the crawlspace).

One company recommended 30 feet of drain tile, a sump pump, and four helical piers, for about 15k (this was our initial estimate during the due diligence period, and we got credit at closing).

One guy (the termite guy who did the cl-100) recommended lining the entire perimeter of the crawlspace with drain tile.

One company recommended encapsulation, a dehumidifier, no sump pump or drain tile, and a total of sixteen helical piers (mostly in the place the other guy recommended piers, but just four times as many piers), for like 35 grand total.

One company (a local handyman I trust, but not a foundation expert) thinks the issues are mostly settling, one nasty tree root from a neighbor's tree coming in under the garage (I think he's right about that one) and water coming in off the roof due to bad gutters; he recommends better gutters and cosmetic repairs to the brick veneer only.

Time to call in a structural engineer I suppose. :sigh:

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 3, 2024

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I was told to check under sinks and while looking at one house I opened the cabinet in the first bathroom and surprise there was a water leak and mold.

My realtor dryly noted he would inform the seller's agent to have it addressed before it got worse. Last I heard they ended up replacing the entire vanity.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rotten posted:

There's a lot of stories there. It's exceptionally common. People hide damage all the time or, at best, "live with it" after the source of the leak has been fixed then repair/paint when they are selling.

It's the same old story as cars. Lots of people allow things to fall into maintenance debt, get tired of living in/driving that old POS, then fix everything before selling or take a bath on selling it. If you keep up with maintenance you don't have to live in or drive a POS.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

There's a lot of stories there. It's exceptionally common. People hide damage all the time or, at best, "live with it" after the source of the leak has been fixed then repair/paint when they are selling.

It's the same old story as cars. Lots of people allow things to fall into maintenance debt, get tired of living in/driving that old POS, then fix everything before selling or take a bath on selling it. If you keep up with maintenance you don't have to live in or drive a POS.

Yeah, when we look at homes we always look for recently touched stuff because that's where the known problems are.

Also pro tip: If you go to tour a staged house and there's a rug on the ground, lift that poo poo up. There's a 100% chance of damage on the floor under it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Same with paintings or shower curtains. Pull back everything.

The latter story: we either didn’t look or it didn’t register that it seems like Gary let his kids do the tile work in the hall shower; literally looks like the kids colored it in with marker. I’ll post a picture later.

Fortunately it will also be used for our kids, so I don’t care about the aesthetics, and our own en-suite bathroom is great. But it was certainly a “wait, did we just not see that?” moment when we closed and the curtain had been removed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Motronic posted:

Fun fact: this goes for your own body, too!

:negative:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My real estate agent had a habit of walking around the places we looked at barefoot. You can "feel" problems with floors!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Uthor posted:

My real estate agent had a habit of walking around the places we looked at barefoot. You can "feel" problems with floors!

almost certainly a fetish

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

almost certainly a fetish

Sure, but it also got her to convince me to get a deep check of the foundation after she felt some moisture on the basement carpet.

Foundation is fine.

Turns out water is coming down the stairs from the outside and I need to deal with that. :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

At least it’s not the foundation.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Uthor posted:

Sure, but it also got her to convince me to get a deep check of the foundation after she felt some moisture on the basement carpet.

Foundation is fine.

Turns out water is coming down the stairs from the outside and I need to deal with that. :(

drat, the foot check yielded real results

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Uthor posted:

This one actually isn't all that bad, if you're looking at old homes it's a good way to tell if a floor has been finished too many times. I dunno if I'd do that first tour but if you were coming back for a 2nd or 3rd look its honestly not a bad idea.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lockback posted:

This one actually isn't all that bad, if you're looking at old homes it's a good way to tell if a floor has been finished too many times. I dunno if I'd do that first tour but if you were coming back for a 2nd or 3rd look its honestly not a bad idea.

It can also tell you a lot about whether the floors were put in right, and potentially some other poo poo if it's two stories. You really don't want to feel any bounce in your flooring, and a lot of flippers use LVP to hide defects in the floors underneath.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Update on house purchased yesterday:

Today at lunch my mother in law found a baby copperhead in the back yard

Just one! So far!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Venomous snakes is one of the more metal post close discoveries \m/

Nybble posted:

Same with paintings or shower curtains. Pull back everything.

The latter story: we either didn’t look or it didn’t register that it seems like Gary let his kids do the tile work in the hall shower; literally looks like the kids colored it in with marker. I’ll post a picture later.

Fortunately it will also be used for our kids, so I don’t care about the aesthetics, and our own en-suite bathroom is great. But it was certainly a “wait, did we just not see that?” moment when we closed and the curtain had been removed.

The line between aesthetics and functional defects is irritatingly hard to see

Here's one I'm going to ""live with""

I cracked the glass installing a lock. It's only aesthetic, but maybe a buyer would/will care

Epitope fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 3, 2024

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e
Got an offer accepted!

Now to see what horrors the inspection finds and construct the mortgage lender Loan Estimate thunderdome!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Got an offer accepted!

Now to see what horrors the inspection finds and construct the mortgage lender Loan Estimate thunderdome!

:rip:

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I’m moving to the Raleigh area this summer, and discovered the concept of “due diligence” deposits. The stupidness of this process got even stupider.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tnuctip posted:

I’m moving to the Raleigh area this summer, and discovered the concept of “due diligence” deposits. The stupidness of this process got even stupider.

Ha! We got a description of those a while back in here because nobody out of NC had any idea WTF they were talking about. If it worked as it was likely intended I could see it being a reasonable thing, but of course it doesn't seem like it does.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah we bought our house in the Raleigh area in May of 2022 so our due diligence was just insanely high. Pricing hasn't come down really but "you have 35 seconds to put an offer on this house... Better put an insane amount of due diligence too!" Isn't as intense as it was earlier. Made it near impossible to ever back out of any offer

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Is that just another name for Earnest Money?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
From some brief searching, seems like the main difference is that due diligence isn't refundable if you decide not to buy?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Rotten posted:

This is the big thing that's gotten us fed up with our landlord, prompting me to read, and now post, in this very thread! Every time there was a storm the ceiling would stain, and he would send someone over to...just paint over it. Whatever, dude, it's your building.

So now we're looking to move, and to buy. And I have a question about whether some prospective financial engineering is even viable: My parents' house is held in trust to facilitate inheritance stuff, and they've pointed out to me that my legal relationship to the trust gives me access to a HELOC secured by the home. So I think that in theory I could tap that for enough money to (combined with our other cash sources) make an all-cash offer, and then mortgage the new house to pay off the HELOC. Obviously this is only mathematically sensible if the ability to make a cash offer saves me enough in overall costs (purchase price - refi costs) + sanity, which I don't know yet, but is the structure of this facially reasonable? (Obviously I'm going to talk to actual adults about the details of it, and this is also contingent on my family being ok with it, but given that my parents suggested it I'm not super concerned about that part.)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Depends on your market. In the twin cities market I would be very skeptical that that dance would be worthwhile, but in markets where every house has 6 offers it may be worth it.

Getting the HELOC may be hard (I have no idea how that works out of a trust, does every party need to signoff?) and if you need to use the HELOC as a down payment then I would imagine most banks will sniff that out and not give you a loan, but the way you describe it there's no risk on the banks so i see no hurdle on its face? Again, whether this is the right move depends mostly on the market.

I've heard of people doing this with their own house when downsizing, so it's not crazy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lockback posted:

Is that just another name for Earnest Money?

My recolection of the description is that it's more like paying to take the house off the market - paying for a "letter of engagement" essentially. And it's not refundable. So no, not like earnest money.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

raminasi posted:

This is the big thing that's gotten us fed up with our landlord, prompting me to read, and now post, in this very thread! Every time there was a storm the ceiling would stain, and he would send someone over to...just paint over it. Whatever, dude, it's your building.

So now we're looking to move, and to buy. And I have a question about whether some prospective financial engineering is even viable: My parents' house is held in trust to facilitate inheritance stuff, and they've pointed out to me that my legal relationship to the trust gives me access to a HELOC secured by the home. So I think that in theory I could tap that for enough money to (combined with our other cash sources) make an all-cash offer, and then mortgage the new house to pay off the HELOC. Obviously this is only mathematically sensible if the ability to make a cash offer saves me enough in overall costs (purchase price - refi costs) + sanity, which I don't know yet, but is the structure of this facially reasonable? (Obviously I'm going to talk to actual adults about the details of it, and this is also contingent on my family being ok with it, but given that my parents suggested it I'm not super concerned about that part.)

It can work, certainly. The other thing this lets you do, besides the cash offer, is buy a new house before selling the old one, which means you don't have to make a purchase contingent on selling the old house, or sell the old house and then live out of a hotel until you find a new place, etc.

But yeah, when you're talking about moving that kind of money around, you should check in with an expert first.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

My recolection of the description is that it's more like paying to take the house off the market - paying for a "letter of engagement" essentially. And it's not refundable. So no, not like earnest money.

Yes, this is it. The only way you get the money back is if the seller backs out. Also It's common to have due diligence and earnest money in the same offer. NC is poo poo.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
When we were looking at a million houses I eventually ended bringing these as canaries in the coal mine for "I can't open up the walls but if I can find horrors out in the open that's a good proxy" for less than $100

-Receptacle tester to see what percentage of the outlets were wired correctly
-Ball bearing to see how wildly it would roll around on sections of floor and in what direction
-Laser tape measure as a check for whether you could actually fit a normal bed in a bonus room.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The ball bearing test is good but not effective on some types of carpet; don't be afraid to bring a 4-foot level to an open house imo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Due diligence is a NC custom/scam

We got presented with this as well

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
If I ever win the powerball (unlikely, I don't play it :v:), I'm going to use it to media-bomb some minor state with enough ads to create my own fake real estate custom. It'll be like, "Yeah, in South Dakota we've always included indentured farm labor in a purchase offer." That or "Want to increase your chances of success? Offer unlimited zero-cost rentbacks to the current owners!" And if it's a really hot market, consider getting a competitive edge by mailing in unsolicited mortgage checks on the property as proof of seriousness!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If its not in the sales contract, its customary to scrape the paint off the walls before you close. Why would someone expect to get someone else's paint for free?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I assume it’s at least exclusive, like you only pay it when your offer is accepted. Is there a customary number/percentage?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

rjmccall posted:

I assume it’s at least exclusive, like you only pay it when your offer is accepted. Is there a customary number/percentage?

Yes it's part of your offer so you only pay when it's accepted. Pre-pandemic I always heard $2000-10000 ( but this was right before pandemic... No idea about a longer history).

During pandemic it was easily in the multi tens of thousands. Just absurd

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e
Texas has an option fee which is nonrefundable in exchange for 7 days of inspection time (can back out for any reason). But it's usually like $500 at the high end these days. Not sure if it blew up during the boom or folks went to no contingency

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Texas has an option fee which is nonrefundable in exchange for 7 days of inspection time (can back out for any reason). But it's usually like $500 at the high end these days. Not sure if it blew up during the boom or folks went to no contingency

Bought in July and it was still $500. I feel like most people around here in Austin just went no inspection during the height of the craze

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

If its not in the sales contract, its customary to scrape the paint off the walls before you close. Why would someone expect to get someone else's paint for free?

Get a competitive edge over the other potential buyers by offering to scrape/reconstitute/paint the new owner's place with their old paint over the holidays!

quote:

Yeah, it's when your offer is accepted. The thing is that "traditionally" it was some low % comparable to earnest money or even lower (1%, 0.5%, stuff like that, more or less a rounding error compared to the price). But then, during the bubble years and as investment ownership increased, suddenly people were dropping $20K non-refundable for the right to inspect a $150-300K property, or even higher in presumably limited, cases worthy of rage-click news articles. I remember seeing $50K and $100K numbers in NC news back in like 2020ish. There were also some weird-rear end cases where they were waiving inspection AND still offering DD money.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 6, 2024

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Got a job offer in Chicago, leaving Nashville TN, and I need some help.

The tentative plan is to get to Chicago sometime in Late July. Most likely, we're going to AirBNB or rent in some way when we initially get tthere, but I'm hoping with within 3 months to find a home to purchase. We'll be selling our current house, which is our second house.... so I'm not especially scared of the process, since I've been through it before.

The tricky part is finding something that will work for budget. I think it's possible in our range, but it's so hard to deal with while we're not up there. I could go into the dollars and desires if wanted, but its probably a little early for that. I don't even know what our current house is going to sell for (though our realtor is going to be coming out here this week)

How do we find a real estate agent in Chicago? I could use an ally in my battle here, because all we can do is look at the listings right now and guess at what is realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If at all possible rent for a period of time to get your bearings, especially in a place like Chicago. It's a big, very varied place and you kinda need to understand traffic patterns to know what a commute looks like. Renting for a while, exploring the area is probably the best bet.