Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Stupid newbie questions about Fallout 76 (watched the TV show and finally decided to bite the bullet):

I was undecided if I wanted to make a rifleman, shotgunner or melee as my first character, so I walked out from the Vault at lvl 1.

After few nights, I am at lvl17 and just did the "join the firebreathers", have met the overseer in her opulent mansion and have the inoculation. My question is what am I supposed to do next? Grind in forest to lvl20? All the story missions send me either to the golf course which is higher level area than I currently am, or North which is even higher. I've ran through both the general areas to unlock few map pointers, but all fights are "me getting kicked around and barely making it". All the expeditions and events are for high level players.

So how do you power level in this game? Get to a casual group and collect bear asses in the forest? Additionally, I used my free atoms to grab that cold shoulder gun from the store but crafting the lvl15 one requires legendary modules. It probably is waste of time and resources to make one now, but where do I get those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Always be in a casual public group for the bonus int/xp and don’t be afraid to jump in to some events that are beyond your level and just kinda lay low and mooch some drops. If you ever see Eviction Notice pop up drop whatever you’re doing and go hide behind a big power armor level 9000 player that’ll inevitably show up and you’ll be showered in loot.

The casual group is pretty much just a gently caress around and do your own thing group, nobody really expects anything except the bonuses. Expedition, daily ops, etc are more specifically focused on actually doing a thing with a group, which is great if you want to specifically do that content, but otherwise just hang out in casual and do your thing.

Legendary modules come from crunching legendary items in a machine you find at the train stations among other places, and can be spent at a place called the rusty pick down in the southwest area of the map to purchase those legendary modules for crafting and upgrading items, or on blind boxes for armor, ranged, melee, etc.

The alien invasion event that drops at the top of the hour every hour right now is great xp and you’ll get a couple legendary drops each run as well, plus you can pretty much always count on a dozen people showing up.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 3, 2024

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So for the limited worlds: My character gets imported at the point where I am in the default world and nothing I do really matters, but I can earn some sort of rewards? Are these rewards listed anywhere?

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 3, 2024

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I made a large post here with newbie tips.

From the link above:
-To the southwest of the entrance to vault 76 (the one you start with) is a brotherhood of steel encampment 'Forward Station Tango'. This is a safe base with a lot of ammo boxes laying around. Equip the 'scrounger' perk for even more ammo from all of these duffle bags and ammo boxes.

In general remember you can equip 'scrounger' everytime you loot an ammo bag or green duffle bag for a chance at extra ammo for whatever gun you are carrying.

Like other posters said, both Daily Ops and Expeditions are very good for ammo. I run 'Tax Evasion' myself a lot and last time I gained +1800 fuel, but I've got a fairly nice set of power armor and a Holy Fire flamer so it may be harder for new players to handle.

If you craft ammo, use the relevant crafting skills (Ammosmith, super duper). There is also a legendary perk called 'Ammo Factory' that used to be kind of mandatory but now there are other ways of getting ammo that are superious (trading in railway spikes, daily ops/expeditions, etc).

Heavy weapons are (oddly) a really good way to go to save on ammo. If you buy the fusion core charger from the atom store (one of the things I would recommend the most for heavy weapons and/or power armor users) you can equip a gatling laser weapon, collect some fusion cores, and ammo is effectively free. Another great option are plasma based weapons because, if I remember correctly, plasma cores are pretty easy to craft. The Plasma Caster (gold bullion plan, forget which rep) is ridiculously ammo efficient.

Xp:

Try to find a weapon that is good at 'tagging' lots of bad guys like a Tesla Rifle or some sort of hit scan automatic weapon (minigun or something). When you are low level in certain events you just want to make sure you've tagged as many mobs as you can for loot and xp. Let the higher leveled and better equipped people worry about actually killing them.

Stacking int, group, and xp buffs makes a big difference, especially in high xp events like Radiation Rumble, Moonshine Jamboree, or Eviction Notice. Inspirational (cha is +15% just for being in a group. Casual groups give you +int per member which is another xp buff. Stuff made with cranberries (relish is the best, but cobbler, nuka cranberry, etc have a buff too). Canned food which is always a reward from the 'Feed the People' event has an xp buff. Mutations like 'egg head' give you a large int bonus. 'Brain fungus' food gives you an int buff (Brain Bombs are the best, but even the soup gives a buff).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Thank you, I'll check these out! Its almost impossible to get any sane advice from Reddit or online "tips" sites because they either argue about whether you should or shouldn't do something, or the tips are at the level "shoot the enemy until it dies". Also the (dead?) Before I Play wiki has really bare-bones article.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As far as I can tell, the fusion core charger is not currently available.

The alien Invasion event is going on right now and that's a good one to hang out in. The regular aliens aren't too bad, but lookout for the drones.

Also check your Challenges, each season has nifty rewards, lots of cosmetics but also practical stuff like boosts and atoms.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Bmac32 posted:

Did they ever make lasers in FO76 remotely decent to use? I just want me a laser sniper rifle but last time I played ( a while ago ) the gun I had was laughably unusable.

They kinda buffed them a while back by adding energy damage bonuses to the 3 sets of Science cards. I have an Ultracite Laser Rifle that is absolutely bonkers fun to play, but there's no skins so I'm constantly worried about accidentally vendoring/dropping/scripping it, so it stays in my Stashbox instead.

They also changed automatic Enclave Plasmas from using Rifleman perks to using Commando perks around the same time. EPR Snipers are pretty decent now from what I've read!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I put my camp near the pumpkin house called spooky camp and I am constantly being attacked by mothmen

This game is amazing

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Otacon posted:

They kinda buffed them a while back by adding energy damage bonuses to the 3 sets of Science cards. I have an Ultracite Laser Rifle that is absolutely bonkers fun to play, but there's no skins so I'm constantly worried about accidentally vendoring/dropping/scripping it, so it stays in my Stashbox instead.

They also changed automatic Enclave Plasmas from using Rifleman perks to using Commando perks around the same time. EPR Snipers are pretty decent now from what I've read!

You could rename it, that helps a bit!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

When does this current season end? I'm at rank 41 and desperately want the grass roof set but dunno if I have enough time.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

When does this current season end? I'm at rank 41 and desperately want the grass roof set but dunno if I have enough time.

Mid-late June I think

FO76 hasn't ever had a set schedule for seasons - the longest season lasted 133 days, the shortest just 63 days.

Remember to use Score Boosters when you can. You should have time!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Otacon posted:

Mid-late June I think

FO76 hasn't ever had a set schedule for seasons - the longest season lasted 133 days, the shortest just 63 days.

Remember to use Score Boosters when you can. You should have time!
The next update is also a pretty big one, so I'm not sure if this season will be delayed in order to get more testing time with the map expansion and new events.

The first run on the PTR was pretty neat, the second PTR update should be out at the beginning of next month.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How the heck did Bethesda get 76 to a point where it is an ok game to play

It was a complete and utter trash fire on release.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

SettingSun posted:

How the heck did Bethesda get 76 to a point where it is an ok game to play

It was a complete and utter trash fire on release.

I think what happened was that Todd & Friends moved on to the next thing and they fired everybody else

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Otacon posted:

Ahh cool. I'll check out both those things, though I am kinda set on the old Fallout laser design. I've got a vampire ultracite laser pistol currently, and trying to get the plans I want for it has been a pain.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Der Kyhe posted:

Additionally, I used my free atoms to grab that cold shoulder gun from the store but crafting the lvl15 one requires legendary modules.

Just returning after not playing since basically release. You can get the cold shoulder gun with atoms? I feel dumb but I can't figure out where to get it from. I'd like to try it out if it's that readily available!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Der Kyhe posted:

Thank you, I'll check these out! Its almost impossible to get any sane advice from Reddit or online "tips" sites because they either argue about whether you should or shouldn't do something, or the tips are at the level "shoot the enemy until it dies". Also the (dead?) Before I Play wiki has really bare-bones article.

Ok one thing I've noticed is the crappy possibly AI generated FO76 content from sites like 'thegamer' or 'gamerant' usually sucks and often has wrong, outdated, or outright misleading information. The wiki is generally a pretty good source though.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hakarne posted:

Just returning after not playing since basically release. You can get the cold shoulder gun with atoms? I feel dumb but I can't figure out where to get it from. I'd like to try it out if it's that readily available!

There is a cold shoulder bundle in the 'bundle' category. There is also just the plan if you go to the 'featured' tab and scroll over to the 'SPECIAL Free and special offers' tab.

The bundle does have a coffee machine which is a pretty nice camp item along with a lunchbox and repair kit (not worth buying either of these) and a cosmetic jumpsuit (cosmetic, worth it if you like it). If you don't care about the coffee machine (generates 'canned coffee' which gives you an AP boost) I'd just get the plan and save the extra atoms.

e: You can also still get the plan with stamps you earn from expeditions. You get like 15 to 20 stamps per expedition and the weapon plans cost like 500 stamps, so it's not exactly a quick grind. There are other advantages to doing expeditions though, like a 'free' plan every week, tons of ammo, legendaries, legendary modules, sometimes treasury notes, etc.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I'm relatively new to FO76 (level 38) and have some lingering questions.

- My armor is all level 20 or so, some random guy came to my camp and made me a bunch of modded stuff that has lasted me this long. Do I need to worry about upgrading now or just get to 50 first? I hardly have any armor mods to craft which worries me and I die a ton. I can make level 35 armor but it's way worse than the modded level 20 stuff I got.

- Do people use separate builds for events? I'm going stealth rifleman and it seems to suck rear end in events. Everyone else I see is in full power armor with crazy low gravity jumping.

- I guess what's the best path for a level 38 to get as many crafting plans and mods while also leveling up? Story content? Events?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Books On Tape posted:

I'm relatively new to FO76 (level 38) and have some lingering questions.

- My armor is all level 20 or so, some random guy came to my camp and made me a bunch of modded stuff that has lasted me this long. Do I need to worry about upgrading now or just get to 50 first? I hardly have any armor mods to craft which worries me and I die a ton. I can make level 35 armor but it's way worse than the modded level 20 stuff I got.

- Do people use separate builds for events? I'm going stealth rifleman and it seems to suck rear end in events. Everyone else I see is in full power armor with crazy low gravity jumping.

- I guess what's the best path for a level 38 to get as many crafting plans and mods while also leveling up? Story content? Events?

I'd wait until level 50, everything opens up at that point and you'll have those 12 remaining levels in no time.

I go Stealth Commando. Rifleman is decent but I wouldn't call it an event build as it doesn't deal damage fast enough to make a noticable impact. Don't get me wrong, Rifleman is fine, it's just not a build you bring to events that have tons of enemies.

The low gravity jumping is from the Marsupial mutation.

For plans:

Any weapons/armors that were in the game from day 1: Scrap all you find to unlock the mods.
Scout Armor and Enclave Plasma: Loose mods found in the wild, from the Watoga vendor bots or Modus in the Enclave Bunker.
Weapons/armor after Wastelanders dropped come from Daily OPs, the Gold vendors once you've done the Wastelanders questline or Guiseppe once you go on Expeditions for Stamps.

All Prime weapon/armor mods drop from the Scorchbeast Queen and normal Scorchbeasts although in the first case the chance for the good ones is low and in the latter case the chance is exceptionally low.

Some weapon plans, most importantly the plan for The Fixer, drop only from the Encryptid event.

So, in short, do events, scrap weapons/armors, do Daily OPs, go on Expeditions. ;)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sensenmann posted:

I go Stealth Commando. Rifleman is decent but I wouldn't call it an event build as it doesn't deal damage fast enough to make a noticable impact. Don't get me wrong, Rifleman is fine, it's just not a build you bring to events that have tons of enemies.

this isn't wrong but on the other hand when you're level 38 you bring what you have, don't worry about it bring your trashbag rifleman pipe gun shooter it's fine.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I was talking Rifleman in general here.
Your options at level 38 are severely limited, both in terms of unlocked stuff and resources, so obviously you make do with what you have.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Alao wow comparing the gunslinger revolver you start with to the others in game really is a jump. That starter level 20 revolver is very much 'ok, not ideal against swarms, but getting that sneak attack in and events are at least viable" meanwhile other pistols are "ok, now that I've magdumped into them twice, the malnourished ghoul finally died"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah it doesn't feel good to have to shoot weak poo poo in the head literally 10+ times

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

Alao wow comparing the gunslinger revolver you start with to the others in game really is a jump. That starter level 20 revolver is very much 'ok, not ideal against swarms, but getting that sneak attack in and events are at least viable" meanwhile other pistols are "ok, now that I've magdumped into them twice, the malnourished ghoul finally died"

I kept trying to find a pistol better than that western revolver all the way to 50 and then just started building toward commando out of frustration.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Russian Remoulade posted:

I kept trying to find a pistol better than that western revolver all the way to 50 and then just started building toward commando out of frustration.

Complete the Steel Dawn "Mother of Invention" quest and get this bad boy:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

the fixer plan also drops from mutated party packs from personal experience. I also didn't think it was limited to encryption but mostly because I remember getting it in a mine once; but that's hardly conclusive with bethesda bugs so not sure.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
To confirm; does scrapping gear ever get you the blueprint for the gear or just a chance of learning a mod that could fit that gear? Or is it only a mod currently equipped?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Coolness Averted posted:

To confirm; does scrapping gear ever get you the blueprint for the gear or just a chance of learning a mod that could fit that gear? Or is it only a mod currently equipped?

I think it just gives you a chance at a mod for that gear. I can't recall ever learning a non-mod plan from scrapping something (but I may have forgotten). I know it doesn't matter what mod is equipped.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

the paradigm shift posted:

the fixer plan also drops from mutated party packs from personal experience. I also didn't think it was limited to encryption but mostly because I remember getting it in a mine once; but that's hardly conclusive with bethesda bugs so not sure.

Oh right, I keep forgetting that those are a thing. :v:

Yeah, most of the formerly rare plans can now drop from those as well. It pissed off a lot of traders when that got added. Heh.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think it just gives you a chance at a mod for that gear. I can't recall ever learning a non-mod plan from scrapping something (but I may have forgotten). I know it doesn't matter what mod is equipped.

Scrapping a weapon/armor gives you a chance to learn a mod for that item. Some mods are purchase-only and can never be unlocked.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

this depends on the weapon, e.g. enclave plasma mods never unlock from scrapping. any of the special currency items (bullion, stamps) their mods never unlock from scrapping. for the ones that do, it's throttled by level, e.g. you can't unlock the top damage receivers for various guns at level 1.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'm doing a shotgun build, only level 26.

Are there any important shotguns or shotgun plans that I can get early on?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drat Dirty Ape posted:

-To the southwest of the entrance to vault 76 (the one you start with) is a brotherhood of steel encampment 'Forward Station Tango'. This is a safe base with a lot of ammo boxes laying around. Equip the 'scrounger' perk for even more ammo from all of these duffle bags and ammo boxes.

I just went there to loot these and noticed there is also a spawn of 4 bulk screws (that's 40 screws) and a bulk oil. That's a really easy place for a new player to get screws if you need them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

TheDK posted:

I'm doing a shotgun build, only level 26.

Are there any important shotguns or shotgun plans that I can get early on?

the mole miner guys drop gobs of shotguns (all varieties) and ammo and are pretty easy to kill at all levels, you can scrap all their drops and get all the basic stuff unlocked

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So what’s the actual secret for getting ammo during ops and expositions?

I’ve bonked enemies with the weapon I want ammo for and killed then and that seems to work but it’s still weird. I’m trying to get alien ammo.

But is thee an actual way besides using it to kill? Sometimes I go in empty lol

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Honestly I've found that using a top level ammo scrounger luck perk has solved any ammo problems I've had. Keep your lowest ammo weapon equipped as you're exploring and you'll be swimming.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve bonked enemies with the weapon I want ammo for and killed then and that seems to work but it’s still weird. I’m trying to get alien ammo.

Have the gun out at the end of the op or expedition

The trick is ammo have hidden modifiers that dictate how much of it you get at once. for instance 5mm can drop in batches of 50+ but you'll never get more than a dozen 12mm ecm off a corpse at a time

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

shoot less, hit more :shrug:

found a good alternate gauss pistol (dropped from the boss at an alien invasion event):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread! Deleted.