Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

grack posted:

That's for later

Don’t miss the bedroom up there though. There is a wonderful conversation to be had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I almost killed the Guardian of the Forge on the first try. He had only 13 HP left, but my party was also on its last legs. Then he had a round without being superheated and I had no way left to quickly fix that. Welp.

So close

Any opinions on what the best item to forge is?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The medium and heavy armors give you the best longevity if you don’t have any specific character builds in mind. You can also use the same mold twice.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'd say the heavy armor (if proficient of course) because it'll have the same AC as the medium armor but reduces incoming damage by 2 instead of 1

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The armors have the quality of "if an enemy hits you, they are sent Reeling for 2 turns" and the shield has "if they miss you, they are sent Reeling," which may be worth knowing.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I have done it! The golden dice are mine! :toot:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey so, in act 3 I've found a dragonborn druid by a dying tree. Is there anything I can do to help? I know that the mansion next door has some mummy in it, so would killing him (eventually, I guess) rid the immediate vicinity of whatever bad vibes are clearly not gelling too well with the tree down the street? I know that in 5E casting Plant Growth as a ritual (over eight hours, haha) would theoretically help since I remember it as I've used the spell before in 5E, however I don't believe that's an option in BG3.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

SlothBear posted:

I have done it! The golden dice are mine! :toot:

Congrats!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Martian posted:

I almost killed the Guardian of the Forge on the first try. He had only 13 HP left, but my party was also on its last legs. Then he had a round without being superheated and I had no way left to quickly fix that. Welp.

So close

Any opinions on what the best item to forge is?

medium armor / shield. the latter is the only source of crit immunity on that slot iirc, and shields have relatively little variation in stats, so it's good to end of game. medium armor is very good until you get more crit immunity hats.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Trevor Hale posted:

Don’t miss the bedroom up there though. There is a wonderful conversation to be had

I did break into Ketheric, Balthazar, and Isobel's rooms, if that''s what you mean. Or is there another one I missed out on? I went around that upper balcony with the Winged Horrors and got the secret chest on the other side but didn't see a room (besides the blocked door).

And hey, here's the usual (and kinda short) trip report for today.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. Also, Zehra is so very, incredibly happy to drink the questionable mystery booze in that third image.
the 150 pound tiefling woman outdrank the 1200 pound bartender until he exploded. good night, sweet prince, you were pretty chill for a weird undead zeppelin guy. :rip:
also Gerringothe(?) Thorm got talked to death, but that wasn't very exciting

i remembered I have to finish up Moonrise before I do the mausoleum stuff, so I told a creepy woman to gently caress off and listened to the intrusive thoughts
STICK YOUR HAND IN THE GLOWING FLESH HOLE DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

I also broke out my friends (and Wulbren), and Alfira and Lakrissa are the best couple in this game :allears:
my brilliant strategy of "throw a bomb at the wall then use a scroll of Wall of Stone to block any pursuers" worked great...after a reload because I blew up one of the tieflings the first try

and the old couple being reunited against all hope is just sweet, and Scratch comforting the owlbear is adorable. This game does a good job of making being the hero feel, well, nice!
And lastly, I wasn't expecting Astarion to be the one to make me choke up a bit. (and I'm really glad I didn't pressure him to give the creepy woman the succ)
did I mention his voice actor is really good? because I feel like I should say that again.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
it's absolutely wild how Baldur's Gate 3 pits "well acted character development, +Approval" vs. "Permanent +2 Strength Buff i.e. one of the Holy Grails of Dungeons & Dragons, --Approval" and they are both valid depending on your particular goal that run.

also Im almost done with my third playthrough, why tf does this game have runs?? it's ridiculously long and complex AND replayable. Kind of blasts the concept of lovely NG+ and Metaprogression implementation as a mandatory foundation for a game's replayability.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

wizard2 posted:

it's absolutely wild how Baldur's Gate 3 pits "well acted character development, +Approval" vs. "Permanent +2 Strength Buff i.e. one of the Holy Grails of Dungeons & Dragons, --Approval" and they are both valid depending on your particular goal that run.

One of this game's few flaws is the availability of giant strength potions making Strength buffs pretty redundant a lot of the time. Sweaty optimization being tedious isn't necessarily a problem but those potions are too much of a gimme

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lol

the best couple is bex and danis though.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

One of this game's few flaws is the availability of giant strength potions making Strength buffs pretty redundant a lot of the time. Sweaty optimization being tedious isn't necessarily a problem but those potions are too much of a gimme

yeah basically any character that would want the +2 strength badly wants a cloud giant elixir more.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Are cloud giant elixirs as easy to get late-game as hill giant ones are earlier? It's pretty trivially easy, if moderately time consuming, to build up an effectively limitless stockpile in act 1, but I didn't pay as much attention in act 3 because I was never running a build that really relied on them when I got to the city.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Major Isoor posted:

Hey so, in act 3 I've found a dragonborn druid by a dying tree. Is there anything I can do to help? I know that the mansion next door has some mummy in it, so would killing him (eventually, I guess) rid the immediate vicinity of whatever bad vibes are clearly not gelling too well with the tree down the street? I know that in 5E casting Plant Growth as a ritual (over eight hours, haha) would theoretically help since I remember it as I've used the spell before in 5E, however I don't believe that's an option in BG3.

I think the Druid is a hint that there is a blight nearby but no interactivity beyond that.

GimpInBlack posted:

Are cloud giant elixirs as easy to get late-game as hill giant ones are earlier? It's pretty trivially easy, if moderately time consuming, to build up an effectively limitless stockpile in act 1, but I didn't pay as much attention in act 3 because I was never running a build that really relied on them when I got to the city.

If you give Derryth the noblestalk she’ll be a pretty reliable source. Transmutation wizards can help double the potions you make when you find the giant fingers.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 3, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

GimpInBlack posted:

it's a little more of a hassle since there isn't an Ethel equivalent selling three per vendor reset guaranteed, but there are like six vendors who can stock them so it's not exactly hard. even easier if you buy alchemy ingredients and have a transmutation wizard do the double output combine.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Zodium posted:

it's a little more of a hassle since there isn't an Ethel equivalent selling three per vendor reset guaranteed, but there are like six vendors who can stock them so it's not exactly hard. even easier if you buy alchemy ingredients and have a transmutation wizard do the double output combine.

That's about what I figured, Ethel's vendor stock is kind of ridiculous--especially since vendors restock even on a partial long rest (i.e. one where you don't use any camp resources), so there's not even an opportunity cost to just napping for a couple weeks and having like 60 on hand.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

GimpInBlack posted:

That's about what I figured, Ethel's vendor stock is kind of ridiculous--especially since vendors restock even on a partial long rest (i.e. one where you don't use any camp resources), so there's not even an opportunity cost to just napping for a couple weeks and having like 60 on hand.

you are limited only by your own personal feel of narrative urgency, and judging by this thread, the internet at large, it worked!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
BG3 is for stressing about time limits or lack of time limits around Long Rest, real or implied

e: also quest resolutions and horny companions... maybe Larian is onto something by ditching 5th Edition?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

wizard2 posted:

you are limited only by your own personal feel of narrative urgency, and judging by this thread, the internet at large, it worked!

Listen, 24 years ago I left Imoen rotting in wizard torture jail for 150 hours while I did side quests and built a house, I will be damned if I let a little thing like brain worms rush me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Black Noise posted:

If you give Derryth the noblestalk she’ll be a pretty reliable source. Transmutation wizards can help double the potions you make when you find the giant fingers.

I'm not sure I've ever done the Noblestalk quest correctly lol. First time I let the husband eat it, which means Derryth isn't there in act 3. Next time (honor mode so no reload) I just spaced out and let fire destroy it by mistake. NEXT time (honor mode) I saw a tip that Glut is immune to bibberbangs so I figured he could go grab it for me. Motherfucker ate it. I'm forgetting a run in there but Derryth didn't get it one way or another that time either. This has become almost as much of a white whale as the golden dice.

When Derryth mutters "fat old idiot" to herself she's definitely talking about me :eng99:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

My rushed through honor mode win ( :toot: ) has left me feeling like I need to go back and do a thorough playthrough where I actually fix everyone's problems and get the happiest of happy endings.

Unfortunately the only game I have queued up right now is a max wild magic run.

Okay after that...

Docjowles posted:

I'm not sure I've ever done the Noblestalk quest correctly lol. First time I let the husband eat it, which means Derryth isn't there in act 3. Next time (honor mode so no reload) I just spaced out and let fire destroy it by mistake. NEXT time (honor mode) I saw a tip that Glut is immune to bibberbangs so I figured he could go grab it for me. Motherfucker ate it. I'm forgetting a run in there but Derryth didn't get it one way or another that time either. This has become almost as much of a white whale as the golden dice.

When Derryth mutters "fat old idiot" to herself she's definitely talking about me :eng99:

I once sent Scratch to get it. He ate it.

I stared at my screen for a second before deciding that was entirely on me and just took the l.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the correct way to do it is to chug a jump potion or cast enhance leap on a high strength character, turn on turn based mode, jump to the husband's bag, give him a misty step scroll, jump to the noblestalk, jump to the little cave with llolth candles, then jump back to origin and talk to the husband again.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I just use a mage hand to toss the torch out of there and then send it Karlach to grab it. No fire = no boom.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
you should probably save Baelen correctly, bc even tho he used to be a really bad dude and Derryth is probably better off in the long run without him... she gives you some kickass gloves that helps prevent your Kushigo from getting inhibited :)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Docjowles posted:

Honestly, I can't quite decide whether the husband eating it or the husband dying is the best outcome for her. If Baelen eats it, he becomes a terror again and she ends up working up the courage to leave him for good; she doesn't have much to her name, but she's free from him and has peace of mind; you can find her at the Elfsong Tavern. If he dies, she's obviously sad about it, lamenting that they both deserved better, but she runs the shop, and you can send a cat to her to help keep her company. She'll move on in time, and honestly... as stated, he's always been horribly abusive to him, and a peek at her journal if he's alive and un-healed reveals that even addled, he's still unbearable at times, because he needs her help for certain things and he hates it and gets moody and cranky about it.

EDIT: It's kind of a shame that there's only one that actually works for story purposes. It would be nice to be able to either give one to one of the Bonecloaks, AND be able to restore that part of Shadowheart's memory (and hell, maybe one for the Dark Urge, too)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 3, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

SlothBear posted:

I just use a mage hand to toss the torch out of there and then send it Karlach to grab it. No fire = no boom.

you can also douse the torch with water!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I've always managed to save him and get the sweet gloves. It's the stupid mushroom that eludes me.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

SlothBear posted:

My rushed through honor mode win ( :toot: ) has left me feeling like I need to go back and do a thorough playthrough where I actually fix everyone's problems and get the happiest of happy endings.

Unfortunately the only game I have queued up right now is a max wild magic run.

Okay after that...

I once sent Scratch to get it. He ate it.

I stared at my screen for a second before deciding that was entirely on me and just took the l.

lmao this game

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

superhero jumping is almost as universal a solution to problems as pushing people off a cliff in this game

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The real trick to getting through the mushroom field safely is actually genuinely turn-based mode. You have to end TWO consecutive turns next to the same Bibberbang in turn-based for it to puff out its spores and trigger the rest of the field, causing the explosions if the torch hasn't been moved.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah I have a mage hand toss water at the torch and then steal the dude's bag because those are my scrolls. You can heal him by tossing a potion at his feet if you really want him to survive the gas

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I've been anti cliffs ever since the Sallow Man encounter in DOS2. I'm like Homer in that episode with the Mob vs the Yakuza, that guy back there hasn't done anything yet and you know its going to be good.

Another issue with the Noblestalk is that you can't use the ones she grows to cure everyone else. But you can give it to Shadow Heart and someone else. When you find the mushroom trigger the dialogue with Shadowheart and convince her that she should try it. Once you are in this dialouge tree you should be able to take the mushroom out of her inventory and put it in your camp chest. After the cutscene plays you should still have the quest item Noblestalk (orange border). Give this to whoever to progress the quest.

Durge however is unique and gets the same benefit from the quest item and the cutting Derryth can sell so maybe don't eat it right away if you've got the urge.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think there's actually a different dialogue depending on which you eat. durge just has one for both.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Controversial Elixirchat: I think the game would be significantly more balanced if elixirs didn't last until long rest. Even if they weren't round-based like potions but cleared with short rests. You really shouldn't be able to totally dump your primary stat as a martial class. Maybe instead of changing elixirs they should bring back stat requirements for classes, is that one of those things that does exist in 5E but not in the game? Anyway I fully realize I am being the fun police here.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

OzFactor posted:

Controversial Elixirchat: I think the game would be significantly more balanced if elixirs didn't last until long rest. Even if they weren't round-based like potions but cleared with short rests. You really shouldn't be able to totally dump your primary stat as a martial class. Maybe instead of changing elixirs they should bring back stat requirements for classes, is that one of those things that does exist in 5E but not in the game? Anyway I fully realize I am being the fun police here.

I think the attitude for a lot of the cool stuff in BG3, like Elixirs, has so far been, "nobody is forcing you to use it, and you need every advantage in Honour Mode" and it's worked out so far in the game's favor

it's basically the same as DM treats for the players for showing up on time, not being disruptive

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've beaten Honor Mode 3 times and I've never felt the need to chain rest and buy hill giant elixirs or anything like that. I think Larian maybe overcompensated for STR being really lame in 5E with all the ways that martial classes rule in BG3 but who cares, it's not bothering anyone and if players want to min-max the option is always there without it being mandatory.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

OzFactor posted:

unquestionably. was also thinking it's time for a new House Rule at the end of my last run.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Larian absolutely could easily implement a Draconian Quest thing and Im sure theyre aware, based off what Ive seen in the Custom Difficulty tags. the real question is if they want to spend more dev time/money on it or simply leave that to the modders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

SlothBear posted:

I use mage hand to "move" the noblestalk a bunch of times until it's where I am standing so I don't have to go in there at all, but I also usually let Baelen get boomed after that because he sucks.

For anyone in that bibberbang area, there's also a ring if you have someone jump along the flat rocks circling high on the wall of the bibberbang area, it's on a skeleton. I didn't find that on my first playthrough. It's not great or anything but hey, free ring.