Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Bottom Liner posted:

Don't. He's a bigoted piece of poo poo.

I don't think I'd heard about this; do you have any lowlights to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cassius Belli posted:

First result in google compiles some links:

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thr...hooling.884605/

Just checking out his Twitter, he follows Libs of TikTok, Ted Cruz, Elon Musk, JK Rowling...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cassius Belli posted:

someone compiled some of his twitter poo poo here

https://imgur.com/a/1vyMR7L

typical chuddy transphobia, etc

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

He's also a long-time Mormon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zark the Damned posted:

Welp, Petersen Games just nuked their community Discord, deleted all the Kickstarter info on it, and turned it over to some guy who's using it for playtesting future projects. Real lovely way to handle it.

Well, as pointed out it's not "some guy", it's Link Petersen. And prior to the nuking Link showed us a video of CW and Startropolis in the warehouse and he was answering questions. He's now saying that he's been instructed by his new employer to shut the gently caress up about everything except playtesting his games. This is consistent with the collapsed Catalyst deal, where PG would have become solely a design studio and had no involvement with production and fulfilment.

While it could have been handled better, I strongly suspect the KS and Official Q&A channels got removed abruptly because Link will be both fired and sued if he didn't act immediately. Arthur already pissed away PG's own good will - the new company won't want the process repeating with them.

E: and in case it wasn't obvious, telling people why it was done would fall under the category of "things he's not allowed to talk about".

Jedit fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 3, 2024

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
who is arthur

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

who is arthur

Arthur Petersen, the brother who was the public face of PG (and its only employee apart from Sandy after the layoffs).

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
What'd he do to piss away good will?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

What'd he do to piss away good will?

Too much to go into detail, but he broke a lot of promises and they weren't all ones that weren't in his power to keep. Nobody was willing to trust him by the time he finally went completely silent, which I suspect coincided with the takeover and him being shitcanned.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So Catalyst were going to take over then that changed? Who backed out of the deal? Or was it mutual?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So Catalyst were going to take over then that changed? Who backed out of the deal? Or was it mutual?

I don't know and nobody will say.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jedit posted:

I don't know and nobody will say.

I mean, after Blaine Lee Pardoe and the whole thing with r/battletech deleting pride posts, Catalyst should prooooobably be wary of partnering with a well known bigot.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if Catalyst made an initial agreement and were then linked to Arthur's blog and pulled out, and for similar reasons the new partner nixed the politics and Arthur Rants threads on Discord (before nuking it entirely).

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

gschmidl posted:

Kinfire Council is now funding, as well as a Kinfire Chronicles reprint and various additions.

As always I'll mention that the designer is a good friend of mine and I want him to succeed.

Thanks for plugging this. I somehow managed to miss the previous Kinfire games, but I have really liked the look of this based on some of the preview playthroughs I have watched.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

Thanks for plugging this. I somehow managed to miss the previous Kinfire games, but I have really liked the look of this based on some of the preview playthroughs I have watched.

My group really liked Chronicles, but it is easy if you've ever played a similar game before. There's some options on BGG on how to make it harder if you so desire; we enjoyed just clowning on enemies for once.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Vox Valentine posted:

He's also a long-time Mormon.

In a way that's relevant or are we doing New Atheism stuff again?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

LatwPIAT posted:

In a way that's relevant or are we doing New Atheism stuff again?
He's a long-term adherent to a hateful branch of faith and his politics seem to be in line with theirs? The LDS loving sucks, this isn't even an atheist thing, he's a member of a predatory and lovely institution.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

there's this...game? AI art card collecting thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wondersccg/wonders-of-the-first-ccg

check the 27 staff lol. so weird and yet a bunch of people are keen to sink thousands of dollars into it so I guess its working whatever they're doing

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CODChimera posted:

check the 27 staff lol. so weird and yet a bunch of people are keen to sink thousands of dollars into it so I guess its working whatever they're doing
Of course it goes without saying this AI art bullshit is absolute garbage but I did notice something else a little eyebrow raising:
On the card's ability section, it lists "Tap Action." Isn't that exclusive to MTG and will get your rear end in trouble if you use it? Isn't it why other games have to say "exhaust" or "turn card" etc...?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Of course it goes without saying this AI art bullshit is absolute garbage but I did notice something else a little eyebrow raising:
On the card's ability section, it lists "Tap Action." Isn't that exclusive to MTG and will get your rear end in trouble if you use it? Isn't it why other games have to say "exhaust" or "turn card" etc...?

Pretty sure that expired years ago. It's just that CCGs had mostly died by then.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

malkav11 posted:

Pretty sure that expired years ago. It's just that CCGs had mostly died by then.

The patent expired back in 2019, yeah. I'd thought they still had a trademark on their tap symbol but that has been abandoned since 2014.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

CODChimera posted:

Almost 100% money laundering. Creators have been running crypto and nft scams for 3 years and are cashing out.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Someone please explain the money laundering aspect because that project gave me a headache. 1 mil raised in 12 hours, hundreds of people pledging upwards of five grand for a lovely CCG? What's the play exactly?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kickstarter is the money funneler. The project owner has a bunch of fake accounts they use to pledge, KS takes a cut (which is certainly lower than traditional laundering methods), the owner walks away with clean money. It's been done a lot.

And they probably offset the Kickstarter cut by attracting legit TCG speculators and whales too, making it an even more profitable scam.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I have no relevant or recent experience either ccg’s but that does seem dodgy. I was looking around for other information about the game or creators and this article hits it pretty hard - it doesn’t mention money laundering but that doesn’t mean that’s not what’s happening - the article points out it’s run by people with crypto/nft backgrounds, one guy who worked on mtg 12 years ago, people who may not exist and have no online presence, and the whole thing definitely seems a lot more like gambling (in the nft sense of “last one holding the bag loses”) rather than an actual game.

“Wonders of The First” Veiled as CCG is Essentially an NFT Scheme

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ravenkult posted:

Someone please explain the money laundering aspect because that project gave me a headache. 1 mil raised in 12 hours, hundreds of people pledging upwards of five grand for a lovely CCG? What's the play exactly?

People pledge to their own kickstarter. KS takes the pledges, takes their cut, and then gives the creators back their "funding."

They don't even seem to be acting all that subtle about it, as people have noted similarities between profile icons of high-tier backers and those of people involved in the game's creation.
https://twitter.com/ComradeIshmael/status/1786796532437545159

Notably, backing your own Kickstarter is explicitly against the platform's rules: https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005139773-Can-I-pledge-to-my-own-project

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Lol since when has KS given a drat about their own policies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Azubah posted:

Lol since when has KS given a drat about their own policies.

I mean pretty much never, though this is arguably one of the more blatant examples of a highly suspicious project getting a pass in recent memory (they're bragging about being funded in 26 seconds, a thing that is definitely extremely normal and doesn't raise any red flags).

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Considering that there are ultra rare cards which are expected to have a high resale value, what do you think are the chances that those high value cards end up in the hands of the staff?

I'm guessing pretty drat high.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Tsietisin posted:

Considering that there are ultra rare cards which are expected to have a high resale value, what do you think are the chances that those high value cards end up in the hands of the staff?

I'm guessing pretty drat high.

0%, because the staff winding up with valuable product implies that there's even an intent of there being product at all. It's a complete scam from the ground up, there will never be any real product.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Kai Tave posted:

(they're bragging about being funded in 26 seconds, a thing that is definitely extremely normal and doesn't raise any red flags).

How long did Frosthaven or some other preannounced anticipated game take to fund?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Ten minutes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah but it's easier to fund in seconds if you have mondo whale tiers and mondo whales to fill them, although the timing is still sketch as hell because mondo whales aren't the type to wait eagerly for your campaign to open so they can pledge.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

People have done digging into that KS and found many of the backers are blatantly fake profiles with ties to the organizers. It's 1000% a money laundering operation that doubles as a crypto scam targeting the CCG/NFT bros who are somehow stupid enough to still fall for the obvious grifts.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but it's easier to fund in seconds if you have mondo whale tiers and mondo whales to fill them, although the timing is still sketch as hell because mondo whales aren't the type to wait eagerly for your campaign to open so they can pledge.

Frosthaven also had a minimum goal 20x higher than this fake CCG

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Can the people running the campaign delete comments from Kickstarter?

I have to ask as all the comments over the past 24 hours have been how they played the game, it was the best thing ever and using all sorts of press release type wording. (Wouldn't be surprised if that was AI generated also)

No other types of comment at all.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

Tsietisin posted:

I have to ask as all the comments over the past 24 hours have been how they played the game, it was the best thing ever and using all sorts of press release type wording. (Wouldn't be surprised if that was AI generated also)

You can't! You can get them removed if they're abusive, but it will say "comment removed" or something like that.

So I guess* they're just flooded with positive bots drowning out anything else

*speculate

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonhodgsonmaptiles2/maskwitches-of-forgotten-doggerland-redux-edition?ref=dr2kpd

Live now from Handiwork Games,

We've worked with them before, but not on this, I'm sharing cause I freaking love everything about it.

"Maskwitches of Forgotten Doggerland is a psychedelic Mesolithic role playing game, placing your stories in Forgotten Doggerland – the land that lies drowned beneath the North Sea."

oops made it huge

shes so beautiful though

TheDiceBagLady fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 7, 2024

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tsietisin posted:

I was just going to point that out, that is not a normal kickstarter comment page, most of them read like a sales pitch and they all sound really similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looks like Petersen Games have resolved whatever issue they had with the new company and their Discord server is now back to being the official one instead of Link's playground. The channels are being restored and maybe there will be some proper oversight coming.