Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Like I watch Loot and I find it generally enjoyable but jfc there are several really good people writing for and starring in it and all they ever do is vaguely gesture towards wealth being bad and that you should do good things with it before adding in a whole ton of “lol look what rich person can do!!!!!” jokes or just generic wacky nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to page 100 everyone. I have thoughts on Loot

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Escobarbarian posted:

Welcome to page 100 everyone. I have thoughts on Loot

I watched the first season, it's very samey. It really doesn't do anything for the plight of billionaires.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Truspeaker posted:

It's a lot of words, but it's all to support the argument that "the writers didn't really think about it and were lazy" which a) is a stupid thing to argue because who knows or cares what the writers were thinking, and b) a lot of people enjoyed and found resonance with the ending, so it clearly worked to some degree. It's fine if it doesn't work for you, but you aren't gonna convince anyone who it did work for that it didn't, even if specific criticisms you are making are insightful or interesting.

I mean, if people care to learn what the writers and creators were thinking - they put out a podcast recapping and diving deep on each episode. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-good-place-the-podcast/id1388743215

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Esco:Loot::Me:Succession

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They explore "what we owe to each other" in heaven and "what does heaven owe to its denizens to remain ethical or appealing," and "how would the human mind deal with eternity, even if it's heaven."

Many afterlife systems are not ideal, and the consequences of eternal life are not typically explored. Most religions insist the final destination is desirable and ideal but don't offer much useful detail about the new state of existence, and usually point to themselves as the arbiter of what's ideal or not anyway.

The show hasn't been so narrow that they aren't exploring other ideas besides living morality questions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I definitely don’t agree with that analogy and a big part of it is intent. Succession depicts things the way it does as explicit criticism. Loot has the main character buying a mall because “lol wouldn’t it be funny if a rich person bought a mall to get out of trouble in the mall????” like that one joke in Dark Knight except TDK isn’t pretending to try to have anything to say about wealth on top of that

e: this was to Idiom

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I definitely don’t agree with that analogy and a big part of it is intent. Succession depicts things the way it does as explicit criticism. Loot has the main character buying a mall because “lol wouldn’t it be funny if a rich person bought a mall to get out of trouble in the mall????” like that one joke in Dark Knight except TDK isn’t pretending to try to have anything to say about wealth on top of that

e: this was to Idiom

Sorry, by that comparison I meant that I watched it all (Succession) but spent the entire time wishing it was more my thing. That wasn't meant to be a meaningful criticism of Loot, I've never watched it. 'Twas just me pulling your leg a bit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Somehow timed watching last week's episode of Sugar just in time for it to end when this week's episode went up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edit: maybe a little too early

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I'm not going to bother with Loot beyond what i've seen because it's just not my style of comedy, but i'm stoked Ron Funches gets a steady acting paycheck to pay for his wrestling guy collection.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I get it now. Justified is awesome.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Khanstant posted:

They explore "what we owe to each other" in heaven and "what does heaven owe to its denizens to remain ethical or appealing," and "how would the human mind deal with eternity, even if it's heaven."

Many afterlife systems are not ideal, and the consequences of eternal life are not typically explored. Most religions insist the final destination is desirable and ideal but don't offer much useful detail about the new state of existence, and usually point to themselves as the arbiter of what's ideal or not anyway.

The show hasn't been so narrow that they aren't exploring other ideas besides living morality questions.

Yup. Reaching heaven is the end goal and not having to strive or struggle anymore the reward for your earthly life. But then again we're not really wired for contentedness so I've always been interested in exploring that contradiction.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

cryptoclastic posted:

I get it now. Justified is awesome.

Oh, you got to your first Dewey Crowe scene?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Shageletic posted:

Yup. Reaching heaven is the end goal and not having to strive or struggle anymore the reward for your earthly life. But then again we're not really wired for contentedness so I've always been interested in exploring that contradiction.

I can't remember but how did the show resolve the points needed to get into heaven being so ridiculously stacked against us in the modern world?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't remember but how did the show resolve the points needed to get into heaven being so ridiculously stacked against us in the modern world?

If I remember right, they convinced the Judge to go to Earth and see if she could live a life that would get HER into The Good Place and she lasted like a day before she freaked the gently caress out at how impossible it was and returned. After that, she agreed to let them attempt to develop a new system.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The show already established ahead of time that that the people running the actual Good Place were more or less incompetent. If they can’t even figure out the entrance requirements then it makes sense that they never considered that the human brain is not well suited for eternity.
To me this is a much more interesting story than eternal bliss

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Oh, you got to your first Dewey Crowe scene?

I think the cabin shootout at the end of season one is the typical road to damascus moment

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/culturecrave/status/1786096318106280374

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This industry's so hosed

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't keep track of who owns what right now but I guess it's a moot point because in a couple more years it will all be one company anyway

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Is Sony going to shutter P+ and go back to their strategy of auctioning streaming rights to the highest bidder?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's interesting here is Sony (outside of the newly accuired Crunchyroll) has expressly stayed out of the streaming wars, noting that it was more lucrative to license property for other distribution outlets. If this were to go through, I wonder what would happen with Paramount+.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is Sony going to shutter P+ and go back to their strategy of auctioning streaming rights to the highest bidder?

Hopefully.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How is Paramount worth a billion let alone that many. You'd think a company worth that much would just chug along being a successful business. Probably only because I don't understand their arcane debt tricks that I'm fairly certain are a legal scam.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

How is Paramount worth a billion let alone that many. You'd think a company worth that much would just chug along being a successful business. Probably only because I don't understand their arcane debt tricks that I'm fairly certain are a legal scam.

Star Trek

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shut down P+ and put all their Trek shows elsewhere, thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also keep making the good ones and not the bad ones

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

mystes posted:

I can't keep track of who owns what right now but I guess it's a moot point because in a couple more years it will all be one company anyway

I doubt that. It will be 2 or 3 companies who just keep buying subsidiaries off each other to goose quarterly reports and launch new streaming services.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Khanstant posted:

Assets vs revenue.

Paramount's back catalog of movies, IP, and licensing deals can be worth that much while still being a failing business sagging under the weight of their own operations.

I was honestly expecting Disney to buy Sony pictures at some point. I wonder if this is a tactic to make themselves more enticing or a tactic to make it less likely a target for takeover.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bull3964 posted:

What's interesting here is Sony (outside of the newly accuired Crunchyroll) has expressly stayed out of the streaming wars, noting that it was more lucrative to license property for other distribution outlets. If this were to go through, I wonder what would happen with Paramount+.

Anime Trek when

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I would simply make it so companies cannot own intellectual property. They're just gonna have to deal with making things people want to actually pay for and deal with other companies trying to do it better or cheaper. If we do it right shareholders will have to get a real job.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

I was honestly expecting Disney to buy Sony pictures at some point. I wonder if this is a tactic to make themselves more enticing or a tactic to make it less likely a target for takeover.

By all accounts, Disney caught enough regulatory heat during the Fox buyout that they're keeping their nose dry regarding any potential acquisitions for the foreseeable future and then some.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah I'm psyched to start this.

It annoys me how we'll go through months of dribs and drabs and then suddenly get ten different good shows come awards season. I'm still catching up on The Sympathizer and A Gentlemen in Moscow. Plus there's this new Jeff Daniels thing and that Hulu bridge murder thing and everyone won't shut the gently caress up about that Irish cop show...

...meanwhile I'm over here, finally catching up on Bojack.

Ok what are the ten shows?
Hacks
What are the other ones called?

I'm watching You're The Worst at the recommendation of the thread. Glad I pushed through the first season, it's a Very Good show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Ok what are the ten shows?
Hacks
What are the other ones called?

Literal ten shows?

Hacks
Shogun
A Gentleman In Moscow
The Sympathizer
Ripley
A Man In Full
The Veil
Under The Bridge
Franklin
We Were The Lucky Ones

All award bait shows, all airing now or very recently. I dunno if they're all good, I've literally only started three and then only part of each. Part of me suspects Franklin, in particular, might be a bit shite.

There's also Interview With The Vampire and The Bear coming out soon enough as not.

But I was speaking roughly when I said ten, I wasn't being literal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been enjoying Sugar. Nate Corddry does a really good job playing scumbags. Although it is kind of goofy that Anna Gunn plays his mother when she's only 8 years older.

Also kind of interesting how much of a slow burn the story has been seeing as they waited until episode six of eight to drop the other shoe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nico is the best "You could really feel the sexual electricity when they were talking about having sex with each other."

Also I laughed at how the witch's big plan involves creating a twink.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man those first two eps of Hacks s3 were so good. Really didn’t know how they were gonna continue this show but this is a very strong concept

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1786486000618721461

Gah! gently caress! No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope they got paid a lot of money for that... :smith: