Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I like competitive games but im always having a good time laughing, win or lose... that's called a Mentality Difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

it’s called “bar flow” and if you don’t have it, well…

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

People getting mad about how other people play has always been fascinating to me, because due to the aforementioned "literally incapable of focusing on multiple things at once" issues I couldn't tell you what my teammates are doing unless I did nothing but follow them around staring at them.

I think the only teammate behavior I'd ever notice is if a game has friendly fire and they kept killing me or something. But something like "noticing a teammate is playing sub-optimally" is genuinely baffling to me. Like I'll see people in MMOs noticing that a party member is using a suboptimal rotation, and how?! Unless you're literally analyzing the combat logs afterwards, how do you manage to pay attention to that in the first place? On one hand I logically know this is some sort of personal limitation, but on the other hand it just feels so completely impossible to me that it's hard to even imagine how other people do it. It's like the "reading two books at the same time" analogy I used before. How can you be pushing your buttons, looking at the boss, looking at your cooldowns, and also keeping track of the abilities your teammates are using?

I played Warcraft for a brief stint and yeah people will absolutely pore over combat logs like they’re researching a doctoral dissertation and PM big blocks to you without any explanation beyond “pls kick MispelledPopcultureReference”

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lpzie posted:

I like competitive games but im always having a good time laughing, win or lose... that's called a Mentality Difference.

blessed

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Just have friends who are better than you and get carried it’s how I’ve been playing WoW for years

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popy posted:

Just have friends who are better than you and get carried it’s how I’ve been playing WoW for years

Yup

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Popy posted:

ah, a hunter player

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Real talk I remember playing WoW for two years and one time a buddy was in town after moving away and wanted to go out on a Thursday and get drinks and I was like no I have to raid with my guild and then the next day I started thinking about it and I realized that was absurd but then the next thought I had was but if I stop playing then I have nothing at all to show for the last two years of playing this game and that thought alone was enough to make me never log back in

Thank you for listening

And then I forgot to cancel the subscription for three months because I’m an idiot

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanna thank all the randos who carried me through a boss in Remnant 2.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

People getting mad about how other people play has always been fascinating to me, because due to the aforementioned "literally incapable of focusing on multiple things at once" issues I couldn't tell you what my teammates are doing unless I did nothing but follow them around staring at them.

I think the only teammate behavior I'd ever notice is if a game has friendly fire and they kept killing me or something. But something like "noticing a teammate is playing sub-optimally" is genuinely baffling to me. Like I'll see people in MMOs noticing that a party member is using a suboptimal rotation, and how?! Unless you're literally analyzing the combat logs afterwards, how do you manage to pay attention to that in the first place? On one hand I logically know this is some sort of personal limitation, but on the other hand it just feels so completely impossible to me that it's hard to even imagine how other people do it. It's like the "reading two books at the same time" analogy I used before. How can you be pushing your buttons, looking at the boss, looking at your cooldowns, and also keeping track of the abilities your teammates are using?

I see it when I play FFXIV, the MMO one. The combat is very regular with animations and particle effects. After I got my own rotation down I could start seeing the shape of other class's rotations. It's like being in a big ol synchronized dance, it is noticable when someone is out of step. Most the time it doesn't matter, like after 500 dungeon runs I think skill mattered like 6-20 times.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fortnite x star wars update
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1786298855618732150?t=vYU0OWiO-BrKknP73V9fEg&s=19
https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1786298954012930158?t=dmyNVqXMzXJyI-VsVm495Q&s=19
https://twitter.com/HYPEX/status/1786382179682963965?t=wr361-6MgSznlQyBy1uxUg&s=19

Items
Olympus Mythics are officially back, and Avatar Mythics are vaulted
Emp ans Cluster clingers are vaulted
https://twitter.com/Sweazyleaks/status/1786312449529950571?t=STXeDp6Bvm1Fx27TicoIGw&s=19
https://twitter.com/HYPEX/status/1786323686187843728?t=zrLwN0LuvuOhQwJIRU49dw&s=19

Skins and such
A NEW "FALL GUYS" SET JUST GOT ADDED TO THE FILES
There are a set of Loki and X-Men Skins coming. Both will have at least 2 Skins. Loki's should be based on the TV show and the x-men should be cyclops and magneto.

https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1786330925971706319?t=XGV7fxzkx3ux5DchywJO2A&s=19

Map things
Vader is most likely here

Story:
There is a set of star wars Quests and Medusa snapshot which lead into the end of season event

End of season event:

https://twitter.com/KaspolLeaks/status/1786442014378045726?t=Frng0KIQbXvPOqiSH8pxRw&s=19
- Soon, Lightnings will start happening from outside the map until it reaches some landmarks.

- The lightnings will cause earthquakes and craters at different places in the map.

- At the end, the lightnings will reach the hand and the chest in the water, it's not known what happens after 👀.

- This Mini-Event has 5 phases and it's completely encrypted so some of these info might not be 100% accurate.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

happy for you hooty.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

lol the yoda and c3po backpacks, those rule

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the cantina band jam track is everything I hoped it would be

they also added the Ewok Drums from Return as a Drum Set lol

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

mandatory linked accounts is a hell of a thing to have when your game doesn't feature cross save/cross progression

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

michael myers throwing kamehamehas everywhere while yoda's on his back like

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Grey Fox posted:

mandatory linked accounts is a hell of a thing to have when your game doesn't feature cross save/cross progression

Mandatory linked accounts is a hellava thing for a company to ask for when they've had more security breaches than total PS5 games.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the whole point of it is twofold:

1. if they link up with a psn account then they will be treated as psn players which will artificially inflate participation statistics for the playstation port

2. it forces them into the sony marketing and data collection web as a secondary source of revenue

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Mandatory linked accounts is a hellava thing for a company to ask for when they've had more security breaches than total PS5 games.
for sure, and people in the Helldiver thread are correctly noting that Sony's policies regarding region-locked accounts might be an additional problem

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm sure it will be the same thing with the ghost of tsushima port

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Ytlaya posted:

its just one of those things thats different from person to person. my brain is the kind that constantly craves being overwhelmed with stimuli and wants to keep track of thirty spinning plates at once. i play a medically unsound amount of Warframe and that game is basically like standing in the middle of a fireworks factory as it burns to the ground, except youre also trying to accomplish a sensitive objective with three other people. still, i can keep track of what my teammates are up to even when dealing with an amount of enemies that i would describe as "standing in the middle of a typhoon except each drop of rain has a gun" because the ebb and flow of play is dictated and manipulated by the actions of the players, so its super apparent when you feel things slipping out of control or not progressing like they should. but again i think thats a thing thats different between people that focus up hard on one thing at a time and scatterbrains like me that need to be jostled every few seconds to keep their attention.

KirbyKhan posted:

I see it when I play FFXIV, the MMO one. The combat is very regular with animations and particle effects. After I got my own rotation down I could start seeing the shape of other class's rotations. It's like being in a big ol synchronized dance, it is noticable when someone is out of step. Most the time it doesn't matter, like after 500 dungeon runs I think skill mattered like 6-20 times.

yeah precisely, i wouldnt hesitate to call the roles we play in these games choreography

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

That's the thing, it isn't noticeable to me (and never will be - I have *checks* 2776 hours in the game). Even if I notice a specific skill, there's no way I could mentally keep track of the order of skills they're using (unless I was paying attention to literally nothing else, and even then I'm not sure because of the sheer number of animations in FF14 and how same-y they tend to look with all the sparkly particle effects - I probably couldn't tell you what most of my own skills look like, since they're mostly variations of "some sparkly stuff happens"). It's kind of funny how, despite having an extremely clear and simple visual language for mechanics, the actual visuals for skills/spells are usually super hard to distinguish.

Here's a specific example of the way my brain runs into issues. Let's say I'm playing a DPS with a core rotation that goes - 1,2,3->1,2,4. Unless I'm directly keeping "my position in my rotation" at the forefront of my mind (to the expense of other things), I'll end up hitting a 2 and having no idea which "half" of the rotation I'm in. "Wait did I hit 3 or 4 last time?" Maybe if I stopped and thought about it I'd remember, but the GCD keeps ticking. Muscle memory doesn't help, because all I know is that "2 is followed by 3 or 4." It doesn't extend as far as "I previously hit 3/4." Maybe I can look at buff/debuff cooldowns to learn what I did last, but the act of looking at them will distract me from anything else I'm doing. Just thinking about it while typing this makes me mentally exhausted.

Like you say, skill doesn't matter for normal content most of the time. It's generally fine if my rotation completely falls apart while trying to handle one of the more involved mechanics, or even if I gently caress up the mechanic. But it still feels bad to frequently lose track of what I'm doing.

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Buddykins posted:

smoke grenades are so loving underrated in shooters that have them with modes that have capture points. even in the finals its so loving fun to smoke a cash box and goo grenade that poo poo and swipe it when its almost completed for a win

How can you say smoke grenades are underrated when CS has had people popping smoke at the start of the match since forever ago? I still know where to throw when a round starts on Dust.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

crossposting for anyone who needs it

Bro Dad posted:

PSA for anyone about to be region-locked: Sony's official workaround is to set your country to the closest around. Hong Kong for Philippines, Egypt for MENA, South Africa for sub-Saharan Africa, and Finland for the Baltics

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Loki bundle

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

wow even the devs are pissed at sony

https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1786454659256758447

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

more and more devs going to realize this isn't worth it anymore

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it’s so nice out and i have the day off

what game should i play

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Steam reviewers can gently caress off though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

KirbyKhan posted:

yeah I was going to say that at least Steam never had any real breaches whereas PSN accounts have had their thing hacked like what, two or three times? that sucks that Sony's forcing them to link to their psn which is leakier than my 99 year old grandma's bladder

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

Steam reviewers can gently caress off though.

99% of them are drooling morons but it's still one of the major ways the companies gauge success, sadly

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it’s so nice out and i have the day off

what game should i play

something portable so you can go and enjoy the weather

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I quit playing WoW with night crew goons because every boss fight was a labyrinth of where to stand what to push etc and if one person stood wrong or didn't press correct button right (usually me) it was a wipe and I realized this was too much for my old brain

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Xaris posted:

yeah I was going to say that at least Steam never had any real breaches whereas PSN accounts have had their thing hacked like what, two or three times? that sucks that Sony's forcing them to link to their psn which is leakier than my 99 year old grandma's bladder

I remember when PSN went down for like over 6 months due to a hack.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

N'erud does indeed loving rule and I can't wait for its DLC.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LegoMan posted:

I quit playing WoW with night crew goons because every boss fight was a labyrinth of where to stand what to push etc and if one person stood wrong or didn't press correct button right (usually me) it was a wipe and I realized this was too much for my old brain

I feel like WoW is (or at least was, not sure what it's like currently) greatly hurt by the existence of that mod that straight-up tells you what to do during boss fights. It seems like fights were designed under the assumption everyone had that mod.

edit: The kind of annoying thing is that I was actually better at WoW DPS rotations than FF14 ones, at least back when I played. I think the only time I've been genuinely proficient at DPS in an MMO was with melee Monk in Mists of Pandaria. I liked how the rotation was less about "the number of buttons" but more just how you used a smaller number of core skills. There would be a lot of other buttons, but they'd mostly be situational in some way.

I also liked how you could get mods for WoW that visually made it *much* easier to keep track of things like cooldowns. As far as I'm aware, the closest thing you can do to that in FF14 is stuff like "make the hotkey really big and stick it in a central part of your HUD." Or maybe something with macros? But it's not quite the same as just getting a single "class mod" for WoW that makes a halo appear when an important ability procs.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 20:45 on May 3, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Buck Wildman posted:

something portable so you can go and enjoy the weather

Boktai

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thinking of jumping into a different UFO Defense overhaul instead of TFTD, this time Reaver's Faithful which overhauls and adds a whole bunch of stuff, unlike The Final Modpack which was largely a difficulty and variety mod. Decided to jump up a difficulty level which is always a gamble for these modpacks that like to make everything above Beginner a Superhuman+ equivalent. Early into it but you can build a 2x2 which trains up to 25 soldiers at a time so the amount of time you spend with worthless expendable chumps is reduced, to be replaced with more time with somewhat useful expendable chumps. Takes up a lot of space but well, what's more useful to a playthrough than reliably skilled troopers? Wish me luck

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Started up Kingdom Come Deliverance. So far I have:

Gotten my rear end kicked by a drunk.
Threw poo poo at some guys house with my friends.
Asked said friends to help me kick said drunks rear end.
Gambled away all my money.
Traded cheese taken from my parents for bags of charcoal.
Won all my money back from the same gambler.
Am now stuck on house arrest.

Thinking about sneaking out at night instead of trying to find armor. Also learned that cheese in this game is super valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
when the president walks in with 2 pies and you’re praying for that pepp

https://i.imgur.com/xz7i25j.gifv

e: wrong thread but I’m thinking about those pies