Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The pixar lamp seems interesting just for the lamp model, but that one isn't guaranteed. The other two do not look interesting to me in the slightest. Not sure what I like in the next round either. At least we are hopefully done with Taylor Swift Lover House entries now. But there's an artemis/SLS submission in the next round and I have a feeling that one isn't going to get approved lol. Maybe the ideas thing is just donezo for me, but I haven't been interested in them, and all the sets that get to 10k are way too huge. Feels like the whole program has lost its way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

Feels like the whole program has lost its way.

My post from 3 or 4 years ago. :p

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Nothing in the approved or unapproved models do much for me.

Gotta wonder what held up the Swift ones. I assume her side said no since any business that would walk away from doing a deal with the biggest pop star in the world would be nuts.

I noticed my shower curtain was looking gross so I went back to my local Target today. Overnight they must have put out another batch of cmfs. I got the ones I was looking for. That scanner app is 4 for 4. :)

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 3, 2024

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Waltzing Along posted:

Is brickset running like poopoocaca for anyone else? Feel like I need to reboot my USRobotics 28k modem or something.

Trying to use it on mobile is near impossible. It slows down/crashes so frequently.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

VaultAggie posted:

Trying to use it on mobile is near impossible. It slows down/crashes so frequently.
Yeah it is choked with ads and is nearly unusable.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It was going slow on desktop earlier where I have ads blocked and never really have issues, but yeah I was checking it on my phone and sheesh, the amount of ads is silly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Someone must need to print some money to buy a new yacht.

What normal Spaceman colors are even left? Or are we going to be able to vote for like Transparent Neon Green or something

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are there dk grey and red/brown?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd thoroughly dig a dark azure space figure.

And if we go down that road, do them in every shade of blue lego makes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Various neons/bright lights, teal, coral. And dark bluish grey needs a complete version I think?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

RatHat posted:

What normal Spaceman colors are even left? Or are we going to be able to vote for like Transparent Neon Green or something

I don't think M:Tron green or Ice Planet orange would really work on a minifig but you never know

I think there's a normal orange one but only in that one minifig encyclopedia book? I love that color , but the new orange/red on the city space sets might look even better.

Honestly they just need to put out more shades that see available so I can put them on my galaxy explorer.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 3, 2024

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cojawfee posted:

The pixar lamp seems interesting just for the lamp model, but that one isn't guaranteed. The other two do not look interesting to me in the slightest. Not sure what I like in the next round either. At least we are hopefully done with Taylor Swift Lover House entries now. But there's an artemis/SLS submission in the next round and I have a feeling that one isn't going to get approved lol. Maybe the ideas thing is just donezo for me, but I haven't been interested in them, and all the sets that get to 10k are way too huge. Feels like the whole program has lost its way.

A Pixar Lamp pretty much screams for a first-party LED feature.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I want a Sand Green or Sand Blue spaceduder

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Oxyclean posted:

It was going slow on desktop earlier where I have ads blocked and never really have issues, but yeah I was checking it on my phone and sheesh, the amount of ads is silly.

Phones have adblockers yall

deoju posted:

Gotta wonder what held up the Swift ones. I assume her side said no since any business that would walk away from doing a deal with the biggest pop star in the world would be nuts.

Pure conjecture: there is an initial agreement in principle before announcing a winner, but then somewhere in development negotiations break down

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

deoju posted:

Nothing in the approved or unapproved models do much for me.

I noticed my shower curtain was looking gross so I went back to my local Target today. Overnight they must have put out another batch of cmfs. I got the ones I was looking for. That scanner app is 4 for 4. :)

I guess if they're used to the margins of lovely music merch maybe whatever LEGO offered was not enough and LEGO wasn't going to compromise on that. But you'd think the BTS set would have been a good enough case study to convince Swift. Would certainly be fascinating to see those negotiations because it seems obvious to basically do no effort and collect the royalties.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I've discovered a scary thing with being a financially independent adult: I can buy as much of this stuff as I want?? I've oiled up and am at the top of the slippery slope. I'm currently building a Dune ornithopter and am having a blast. It's a great break from the usual routine of mine which is either watching TV or sitting at the PC.

1) Where's the cheapest place to buy Lego? Whilst I have a decent amount of disposable income, dropping hundreds of dollars on this stuff when I could instead get it slightly discounted is much preferred
2) I'm a fan of the Star Wars / Sci-Fi stuff, as well as things like the architecture sets or NASA stuff. Not so interested in the MCU or busts/masks or villages. Are there websites that offer more designs than what the official Lego website has? I might get a car model for my next build, or the NASA shuttle, or a Star Wars ship
3) I don't own a home and am a renter. When I inevitably end up having to move, what's the best and safest way to transport my collection? I've been holding off for years on getting any Lego because of this, but having broken the seal with the ornithopter, I am definitely going to be buying more in the foreseeable future. I do plan on moving out within the next year or so.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 3, 2024

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
We have such sights to show you

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Deus Ex Macklemore posted:

We have such sights to show you

:unsmigghh:

(from here)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Something like this is right up my alley. How do I get it? That linked thread seems dead, along with the guy's account.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm surprised all those parts actually exist in metallic gold. What a pain to collect them all though, that's a lot of bricklink orders.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Qubee posted:

Something like this is right up my alley. How do I get it? That linked thread seems dead, along with the guy's account.

the creator posts their gmail a couple of times in comments, guess you could try that, see if he'll send you the instructions

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Qubee posted:

Something like this is called a MOC. To replicate it you need to purchase the directions and then source all the pieces via Bricklink.

They're usually MUCH more costly than buying a boxed set.

As for "how do I Lego, but cheaper?" There *are* Chinese knockoffs of more expensive sets that can be purchased at a fraction of the cost, but their customer service is *spotty* at best and the build quality is sometimes not stellar. They do get a bit more creative at times, though. Mould King, for instance, has an Executor-class SSD which dwarfs Lego's largest one, as well as an Eclipse-class SSD which is gigantic as well.

Amazon also has good prices as well.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
A lot of sets eventually go on sale at Walmart and Target but are usually physical only. Every now and then a great deal will happen online though and that's how the entire thread ends up with $50 galaxy explorers.

My recommended sets for people getting back into Lego , most on discount
31088 3in1 shark (more like 30 in 1) $12.99 on Amazon
60430 city spaceship, $19.99 on amazon
76918 McLaren 2 pack, $28.99 on amazon
10280 flowers, 47.99 on Amazon
21333 starry night $150.00 on amazon.

I also really like the SW microfighters at their price point, if you can find any.

I love the
76898 tallneck but even on discount it's more than it was originally (79.99 I think), now at 93.99.
10497 galaxy explorer was a steal at $50 but is back to $100. My other favorite spaceship is 76832 xl-15. All 3 of those are fantastic building experiences

I haven't had the chance to build some of the stone cold classics many others here have (Saturn v is legendary at this point), but those are often expensive. I'm also a big fan of getting knockoff clones, but usually that's for sets for my kid or minifigs that get huge amounts of very rough play, so the tolerance issues are less important.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 3, 2024

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The $20 City Space Intersellar Spaceship is a fantastic little set. https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/interstellar-spaceship-60430 And they just put out a 3in1 which is a great deal too if you want some extra stuff along with it. https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/space-explorers-pack-60441

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

trevorreznik posted:

A lot of sets eventually go on sale at Walmart and Target but are usually physical only.

Picked up Main Street 31141 for $54 a couple of weeks ago, which was nice. I don't know if this is true for all Lego stores but mine carries a lot of damaged box sets for discount. The discounts aren't as good as they were 10 years ago but I picked up Andrea's Theater School 41714 for 30% off last month.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Something like this is called a MOC.

Also let me be the first to apologize for our AFOL acronyms.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder how much you could change Ideas by requiring submissions to provide a piece count and having it calculate a price estimate from that for the listing.

Unrelated: Has Johnny Thunder appeared in modern sets before, or are those new City sets a triumphant return for him? I know one of the other Adventurers characters came back for the Natural History museum.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Dogen posted:

Also let me be the first to apologize for our AFOL acronyms.

Lego needs to embrace BURPs and LURPs more, imo.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Tenebrais posted:

Unrelated: Has Johnny Thunder appeared in modern sets before, or are those new City sets a triumphant return for him? I know one of the other Adventurers characters came back for the Natural History museum.

IIRC, the haunted house set had a lot of Adventurers references.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Qubee posted:

So I've discovered a scary thing with being a financially independent adult: I can buy as much of this stuff as I want?? I've oiled up and am at the top of the slippery slope. I'm currently building a Dune ornithopter and am having a blast. It's a great break from the usual routine of mine which is either watching TV or sitting at the PC.

1) Where's the cheapest place to buy Lego? Whilst I have a decent amount of disposable income, dropping hundreds of dollars on this stuff when I could instead get it slightly discounted is much preferred
2) I'm a fan of the Star Wars / Sci-Fi stuff, as well as things like the architecture sets or NASA stuff. Not so interested in the MCU or busts/masks or villages. Are there websites that offer more designs than what the official Lego website has? I might get a car model for my next build, or the NASA shuttle, or a Star Wars ship
3) I don't own a home and am a renter. When I inevitably end up having to move, what's the best and safest way to transport my collection? I've been holding off for years on getting any Lego because of this, but having broken the seal with the ornithopter, I am definitely going to be buying more in the foreseeable future. I do plan on moving out within the next year or so.

1) shortly before a set retires, retail stores will usually discount them about 30% for a brief period to get rid of them. The two best bets for this by far are Amazon and Walmart. It's a bit risky though because once they are out of production there's a good chance you'll have to pay more than MSRP. Scouring eBay also doesn't hurt. That's really about it though lego holds it's value pretty well so there is no "cheapest place" really
2)Already answered, but yeah you'd have to source stuff off bricklink. Tons of them get made into knockoff sets by chinese companies. personally I don't gently caress with those but it is a way to get cool MOCs for a fraction of the price of Lego.
3)The best way is to disassemble and reassemble, but I've mostly been fine just carefully packing stuff. last time I moved i wrapped sets in bubble wrap and they were all fine.Takes up a lot of space but Lego moves better than you'd think. If I was moving across the country or something I'd probably disassemble them though.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Iirc from the small questions thread Qubee is in the middle east somewhere so that's going to change up a lot of the recommendations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Qubee posted:

yup. no two ways around it. you are loving hosed. post like these are like when someone would wander into TCC and say 'so i started microdosing and its fantastic. does anyone know where i can get this poo poo in larger quantities?'

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Despite the rather high cost for the ornithopter, I gotta say it's been a really pleasant distraction. It's currently weekend here and this is one of the more fulfilling weekends I've had. Just sitting and getting on with the assembling is really, really therapeutic. To help curb the rather prohibitive spending I would otherwise fall into, I will try my hand at solving puzzles and see if it gives me the same level of satisfaction and mental soothing. I got a really lovely Japanese train / rice field landscape 1000 piece puzzle I want to solve and frame. If that doesn't provide the same dopamine infusion that Lego does, then below quote is very much relevant

Borsche69 posted:

you are loving hosed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hey kid, you want to spend a lot of money? Go to lego dot com tomorrow.
It's may the fourth. Kinda a big name in dates and star wars.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Been selling some sets basically for the first time since I started collecting a decade ago. Feels kind of bittersweet. I have so much Lego I sort of resent them sometimes lol. But my collection in my mind at least, is pretty coherent. Like, everything has it's place if that makes sense. But I just don't have room for it so I have maybe 30% of my collection is on display while the other 70 is in tubs in the closet which just feels sort of pointless. So on one hand it feels good to get rid of them, but my collector brain is like "noooooo" selling these sets I was so stoked on at one point.

Overall, over time I think I want to sell over half my collection maybe more. it's just time. It's sort of a bummer though. The worst ones to deal with is sets I don't care about at all, but have minifigs I really want to keep :sigh: At this point I think I have just about every version of every character that appeared in the original Star Wars Trilogy, all in a nice looking display. So it's like I have some of these sets that are worth a lot of money, but it's mostly cause of the figures. if I sell them without the figs it'll absolutely tank the value. But if I sell them complete I could get a lot of cash, but then I'd be missing those characters...Dork problems.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Been selling some sets basically for the first time since I started collecting a decade ago. Feels kind of bittersweet. I have so much Lego I sort of resent them sometimes lol. But my collection in my mind at least, is pretty coherent. Like, everything has it's place if that makes sense. But I just don't have room for it so I have maybe 30% of my collection is on display while the other 70 is in tubs in the closet which just feels sort of pointless. So on one hand it feels good to get rid of them, but my collector brain is like "noooooo" selling these sets I was so stoked on at one point.

Overall, over time I think I want to sell over half my collection maybe more. it's just time. It's sort of a bummer though. The worst ones to deal with is sets I don't care about at all, but have minifigs I really want to keep :sigh: At this point I think I have just about every version of every character that appeared in the original Star Wars Trilogy, all in a nice looking display. So it's like I have some of these sets that are worth a lot of money, but it's mostly cause of the figures. if I sell them without the figs it'll absolutely tank the value. But if I sell them complete I could get a lot of cash, but then I'd be missing those characters...Dork problems.

I sold almost all of my sets too. I’ve come to the conclusion that some sets will stay longer than others, but once I’m crammed for space I’ll sell off a bunch and then buy some more. I only have about 10 sets at this point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Qubee posted:

Despite the rather high cost for the ornithopter, I gotta say it's been a really pleasant distraction. It's currently weekend here and this is one of the more fulfilling weekends I've had. Just sitting and getting on with the assembling is really, really therapeutic. To help curb the rather prohibitive spending I would otherwise fall into, I will try my hand at solving puzzles and see if it gives me the same level of satisfaction and mental soothing. I got a really lovely Japanese train / rice field landscape 1000 piece puzzle I want to solve and frame. If that doesn't provide the same dopamine infusion that Lego does, then below quote is very much relevant

One of the more pleasant sets to get sooner rather than later if you're into Sci-Fi is the Executor Super Star Destroyer (Set #75356). It's retiring this year (despite having just come OUT last year) and it's a really clean/fun build, save maybe for the engines liking to come off rather easily.

It's also not that expensive.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One of the more pleasant sets to get sooner rather than later if you're into Sci-Fi is the Executor Super Star Destroyer (Set #75356). It's retiring this year (despite having just come OUT last year) and it's a really clean/fun build, save maybe for the engines liking to come off rather easily.

I’ve got that one in my to-build stack once I finish building the Mario Piranha Plant.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The $24 knockoff I got of this was really nice everything on par with LEGO quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

i am really glad they brought back midi ships. the tantive is overpriced and the cockpit is a little underscaled, and i'm not a prequel guy so the invisible hand does nothing for me (i only found out recently that its general badman's capital ship) but its a great line. i REALLY hope they redo that medical frigate that was a convention only thing