Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah the idea of doing two-stick (not stick + throttle) piloting in full 6DOF is appealing, I tried it once and it is not an easy thing to get into. I would imagine if you could get comfortable with it that it would be very compelling paired with a VR hat.

Full 6DOF movement in VR seems like it would result in a LOT of vomiting.

Deakul posted:

Descent 3 had a gangster as hell trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHFazkfmBE4

That's about the biggest highlight I remember, I never really got around to playing it much besides the multiplayer!

Man, Interplay was just shovelling money into Jim Cumming's wallet weren't they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Fil5000 posted:

The system shock remake is the first 6DOF game I've played in years and even that on steam deck made me nauseous 🤢

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fil5000 posted:

I did a lot of Elite Dangerous in VR which is technically 6DOF and was fine, but it's not nearly as fast-paced as the Descent games and also you would be at worst on a planetary surface, not dodging around in a bunch of labyrinthine tunnels.

Full joystick / throttle control AND full look-around in your cockpit was a real plus for dogfighting, so much easier to track an opponent when you're trying to get on their tail in VR.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Oh gently caress pirate doom 2 is out??
Wow. I kept checking what the guy was up to for years and it seemed like he’d moved on with his life. PD is my favorite WAD of all time.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Man, Interplay was just shovelling money into Jim Cumming's wallet weren't they

Descent 3 also has the voice talents of David Warner and Adrienne Barbeau.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Oh gently caress pirate doom 2 is out??

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

What were all the "killers"? You know, games that were hyped to both meet and exceed x game in quality and fun factor and then bury it in sales. Doom killer and quake killer seem the most notable but I remember PS2 killzone being hyped as a halo killer back when. I'm asking because I got Reaver recently and while I haven't played beyond the demo yet it seems kinda unfair that anyone could consider it an ultrakill-killer. Not that it's bad but because they clearly love the source material so

In MMO land there were a bunch hyped as Everquest killers. Everquest actually got killed eventually, by World of Warcraft, even though I don't think it was marketed like that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I did a lot of Elite Dangerous in VR which is technically 6DOF and was fine, but it's not nearly as fast-paced as the Descent games and also you would be at worst on a planetary surface, not dodging around in a bunch of labyrinthine tunnels.

Full joystick / throttle control AND full look-around in your cockpit was a real plus for dogfighting, so much easier to track an opponent when you're trying to get on their tail in VR.

I tried Wipeout in VR on the PS4 and it had three modes, lock camera to cockpit, lock camera to track and lock camera to pilot. I tried the first two and it was fine, tried the third and I immedately felt sick, it was quite impressive how big a difference it made. I know in general VR is ok if you're in a vehicle because most people's brains are used to dealing with that sort of thing, but yeah, speeding around tunnels spinning and sliding everywhere just seems like a bad time.

Angry_Ed posted:

Descent 3 also has the voice talents of David Warner and Adrienne Barbeau.

And apparently Maurice LaMarche too!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

It's been a while, but I remember it being more "modern" for better and for worse. It attempts to have a narrative and different mission objectives and stuff to make the game about more than just shooting robots, with mixed results. Kind of a similar franchise arc to Doom now that I think about it.

Yeah, all the levels are scripted and have multiple updating objectives and storylines. Sometimes this means you're flying around neat working mechanisms as you do the things, sometimes it means you go on awful key/switch hunts, sometimes it means the level glitches out and can't be finished because only 49 out of 50 targets spawned

I remember some of the enemies being really, really annoying to fight because they're a little too maneuverable. Going outdoors is really cool, though, and the engine supported some pretty advanced effects like volumetric fog

The music is also great, but unfortunately a lot of it can't be listened to outside the game- it's assembled dynamically from short loops and the masters were lost at some point so there is no canonical mix to track down

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Early impression of Pirate Doom 2. It’s fun. The environments aren’t as pretty as the first one so far, but it’s a public beta at this point so maybe that will get cleaned up. Gameplay-wise they feel good though. Maps are smaller so far. I liked the larger ones from the first one.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Early impression of Pirate Doom 2. It’s fun. The environments aren’t as pretty as the first one so far, but it’s a public beta at this point so maybe that will get cleaned up. Gameplay-wise they feel good though. Maps are smaller so far. I liked the larger ones from the first one.

The first one was a 19 map wad, this one is a 32 map wad, I guess this is why most are small.

I'm pretty sure it looks the same, there may be some rosy googles in your memories

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I wanna do another Half-Life 2 trailer for the 20th anniversary later this year. Time for another playthrough to get footage.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does gloomwood even have a demo anymore? I didn't see one on steam

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played the first level and a half of Phantom Fury, and for all of its alleged flaws, the difference in shooting from the beta to release is like night and day. They really should have put out a new demo just to prove that they fixed it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

Played the first level and a half of Phantom Fury, and for all of its alleged flaws, the difference in shooting from the beta to release is like night and day. They really should have put out a new demo just to prove that they fixed it.

Yeah I'm really baffled as to why they didn't. Also baffled as to why they put out that original demo in the first place!!! Waaugh!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
If they manage to clean it up I’ll probably try it. And the last exterminator. We need more Duke clones.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Ahoy dares ask a dumb question but nah, it actually leads to a fun philosophical exercise (and with a funny-yet-not-inaccurate result)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuyImR_dI6g

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still think it's a platformer focused on dodging fireballs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Angryhead posted:

Ahoy dares ask a dumb question but nah, it actually leads to a fun philosophical exercise (and with a funny-yet-not-inaccurate result)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuyImR_dI6g

I was going to post it.

And you know, it's kind of dumb question, because the answer is not as different as before: Doom is a FPS, and an action game, because the FPS genre is part of the bigger and more encompassing Action genre. Genres aren't just atomic, individual labels that exist without any relation. There is imo a hierarchy of genres, and some are inside others. Action genre encompass any other genre that is based of quick reflexes and eye-hand coordination: fighting games, third person action games, beat'em up, etc. It goes in the other direction, too, FPS can be further divided up in arena multiplayer shooter, tactical fps, immersive fps, boomer shooter, etc. The point where you start to call these divisions 'subgenres' instead of 'genres' is soft and can evolve, once a subgenre has a huge amount of games, and said games start having variations of styles themselves, the subgenre can be reclassified as genre. Like, it could be argued it precisely happened with FPS!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DOOM is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic DOOM Heroes!

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Yeah, it's an fps game.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I'm watching that video right now and I'm confused by his thesis because it implies that Doom was the first FPS when that's clearly not the case, right? I guess I disagree with the sentiment that just because a genre doesn't have a proper name doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Doom clearly codified a lot of what became standard but it's still iterating on previous games.

EDIT: He calls Gauntlet an RPG? I'm supposed to trust this guy on genre categorization?

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 3, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

See, games are a bit different to categorize, vs other types of entertainment media. You've got the thematic genre, and also the mechanical genre.

Actually, now that I think of it, something like painting, as well as movies/tv shows are also kind of separated by thematic and mechanical genres.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doom was the first and most faithful doom clone

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
FPS

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
no need to watch some dumbass YouTube video lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
3-D Monster Maze clone

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

It's a bad video, even if it was an attempt at a joke. I won't trust Ahoy in the future now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

When you're right you're right.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Turn the map on and doom is a twin stick shooter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doom II was also the single GREATEST Doom-killer to ever hit the market.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

AND the original Doom Killer

EDIT:

In Training posted:

Doom II was also the single GREATEST Doom-killer to ever hit the market.

God drat it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jehde posted:

Turn the map on and doom is a twin stick shooter.

Enter the right cheat code and you're not even joking

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no need to watch some dumbass YouTube video lol

Preach, brother. And apply it to everything in life.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

staking out the controversial position that it's a gun zelda

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yall dumb as hell, ahoy rules

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

An Actual Princess posted:

I'm not going to trust a guy who calls Gauntlet an RPG. That's an insane statement to make.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

An Actual Princess posted:

yeah ahoy is great, silly takes happen to us all sometimes

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I want Ahoy to do more of his Iconic Arms series but I don't know what he would cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

I'm not going to trust a guy who calls Gauntlet an RPG. That's an insane statement to make.
yeah!

it's an ARPG